RK-08: Atomic Betty

Meatbuster

formerly Robo Kai
Not a single nuke has been launched in a succession game. We are going to change that.

Game: Warlords 2.08
Map: Custom Continents (2), Low Sea, Temperate
Special Settings: Raging Barbarians ON, Vassals ON
Victory: All enabled, but make sure we have enough population to prevent losing via UN :lol:
Difficulty: Prince
Speed: Standard
Opponents: 7
Leader: "Atomic" Betty Barrett, from Canada Elizabeth of England

Goal:
1. Conquer the continent we are on.
2. Launch at least one ICBM overseas before any form of victory. (Hey, it's not called Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile for nothing!)

Simple Variant:
1. Must head straight to Fission after Scientific Method.
2. Start Manhattan Project as soon as possible.

Optional Variant:
After Fission, head straight to Mass Media and build the UN to prevent the passing of Nuclear Non-Proliferation. :lol:

Roster:
1. Robo Kai
2. fbelintani (Weekday Warrior, unavailable on weekends)
3. Woobi
4. frankcor
5. vra379971

Game will start when we reach 4 or 5 players.

Not a single nuke has been launched in a succession game. We are going to change that.

Game: Warlords 2.08
Map: Custom Continents (2), Low Sea, Temperate
Special Settings: Raging Barbarians ON, Vassals ON
Victory: All enabled, but make sure we have enough population to prevent losing via UN :lol:
Difficulty: Prince
Speed: Standard
Opponents: 7
Leader: Elizabeth of England

Goal:
1. Conquer the continent we are on.
2. Launch at least one ICBM overseas before any form of victory. (Hey, it's not called Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile for nothing!)

Simple Variant:
1. Must head straight to Fission after Scientific Method.
2. Start Manhattan Project as soon as possible.

Optional Variant:
After Fission, head straight to Mass Media and build the UN to prevent the passing of Nuclear Non-Proliferation. :lol:

Roster:
1. Robo Kai
2. fbelintani? (check in if you wish to play)

Game will start when we reach 4 or 5 players.

Stupid warlords!

All right, checking-in! :thumbsup:
This is gonna be a good challenge for me, at least! I never launched a :nuke: myself. And never played as Liz before too. And never had barbarians raging against me! Are you sure you want me to mess up this SG? :blush:

Oh, and before I forget and you guys curse me, I may need an auto-skip (hopefully a swap) on weekends. And my time zone is (GMT - 3). Actually, with daylight savings on, it's now (GMT - 2).

Let's :nuke:!!!

Hey! Can I call you FB for short? Your name is a mouthful!
No, you won't mess it up. I'll just tell you to build a bigger army than you normally do for a game.

Stupid warlords!

I would play Vanilla to accommodate you, but the guy I'm starting this for (who just posted) prefers Warlords. Sorry man. :lol:

I'm up for this...

Never really experimented with nukes, would like to see their effects...

Effects on what?
...on cities..?
...on diplomacy..?

Welcome to the game, by the way.

I won't be able to start until Saturday morning (GMT +8), if ever the roster fills up soon.

Mostly their effects on units, and cities...

I can gather, and have been hinted twoards their effect on diplomacy...

And just for a little information about my play, I am a good monarch, struggling emporer player...

Good then. The game might turn into "always war" if we don't have an ally on the other continent.

Nuke strategy... well, I've never been in a nuclear war in Civ 4, but here's some theorizing.

I'm thinking that we shouldn't just launch the first nuke we get our hands on. I'd want at least two (or one is almost finished), and an army at the other continent near the shores of whomever we nuke to make an immediate beachhead. Launching a nuke counts as a declaration of war, plus a diplomatic penalty for launching a nuke at the opponent.

Building Manhattan enables nukes for all players, so we should probably launch the nuke at our targets capital and/or high production city to cut their own nuke production capabilities. This also means we should probably have ironworks at least, plus factory and coal plant on one-two cities at least to build the first nukes faster (we can research assembly line/industrialism while building manhattan).

On Noble it isn't a problem beating them before Nukes...

So, because of this I suspect that, letting them tech up some more won't be that big of a deal...

We will probably be the only ones with nukes, even after we launch a few...

In Prince 2.08, it is a problem. They don't need Fission to build nukes, just Uranium and the Manhattan built. So it would be best if we deny them the techs that lead to Assembly Line/Industrialism.

It should be noted that even low-hammer cities will eventually cough up a nuke unless the uranium deposits are pillaged/sabotaged.

Hey guys!

@Robo: No prob calling me FB!
@Woobi: Welcome to the game!

Well, I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't know anything about :nuke: tech tree. Lets take a look at CivFanatics info......

Ok! Found this:

ICBM
:hammers:: 500
:science:: Rocketry, Fission
Requires Uranium
Can nuke enemy lands
Requires The Manhattan Project

It also says that ICBM is a Unit. Does it gain production bonuses from Heroic Epic And/Or Military Academy?

Also, I think we may need some bomb shelters in our core cities. It's relatively cheap (100 :hammers:) and it's better be safe than sorry.

About the map we may roll:
Best case: We are on the 4 civ continent with Mansa.
Worst case: We are on the 3 civ continent with Toku!

Yes, it is a unit, but no, it is not sped up by Heroic Epic.
We can build shelters on the "nuke-building cities" after the pre-emptive strike.

Oh, I just realized that everyone else needs Fission to build a nuke, because uranium can't be used without Fission unless traded from another civ (with Fission). But a bomb shelter doesn't require uranium so...

BTW, I said 7 opponents which means 8 civs including us. So we're guaranteed to be on a 4-civ continent.

Also wouldn't it be funny for us to be on the north side of the continent, then leave someone on the south alive as a vassal or trading partner? Sort of like we're North and they're South (Korea)... :lol:

BTW We need 2 more people! Sign up please!

Robo Kai said:
BTW, I said 7 opponents which means 8 civs including us. So we're guaranteed to be on a 4-civ continent.
Note to self: pay more attention when reading first posts! :spank:

Robo Kai said:
Also wouldn't it be funny for us to be on the north side of the continent, then leave someone on the south alive as a vassal or trading partner? Sort of like we're North and they're South (Korea)... :lol:
How about changing the leader to Korean to make this more, let's say, real? I know it won't be Atomic Betty anymore, but it's an idea. Wang Kon is Financial too! We'd only be changing Philosophical with Protective, which is always good to have against Raging barbs.

Robo Kai said:
BTW We need 2 more people! Sign up please!
What about advertising in the Registration Thread?

Robo, sign me up. I think we should rule out any shot at a Diplomacy victory. Once you use nukes, you're sort of an outcast? I mean, the world still hasn't completely forgiven the United States, right?

I have toyed around with nukes in Civ4 and they're not the overpowering weapon that earlier versions used -- I always loved the Planet Buster in Alpha Centauri that could change the geography of the target. Nukes in Civ4 only kill some of the units and destroy some of the buildings in a target city. Robo is correct in saying we need an invasion force to capitalize on the strike once it's been made.

And don't forget about building SDI as soon as possible, hopefully start it before the Manhatten Project is complete.

:devil:

Robo, sign me up. I think we should rule out any shot at a Diplomacy victory. Once you use nukes, you're sort of an outcast? I mean, the world still hasn't completely forgiven the United States, right?

I have toyed around with nukes in Civ4 and they're not the overpowering weapon that earlier versions used -- I always loved the Planet Buster in Alpha Centauri that could change the geography of the target. Nukes in Civ4 only kill some of the units and destroy some of the buildings in a target city. Robo is correct in saying we need an invasion force to capitalize on the strike once it's been made.

And don't forget about building SDI as soon as possible, hopefully start it before the Manhatten Project is complete.

lurker's comment:
Having ended a game with a nuclear winter the notion of building one or two nukes, making a strike, then following with a land base force is definitely not the way to go it, as that opens you to a counter strike. I would have 3 for the capitol and one for every other city, then drop them all at once and have more in the queue.

Thanks Bede for the tips.

Hi frank! You are in.

I'll start the game later (16 hours) after I play RK-07.

lurker's comment:
lurker's comment:
Having ended a game with a nuclear winter the notion of building one or two nukes, making a strike, then following with a land base force is definitely not the way to go it, as that opens you to a counter strike. I would have 3 for the capitol and one for every other city, then drop them all at once and have more in the queue.
hmm... this sounds familiar. :lol:

the grand monk forgot to mention the power of spies to disrupt the uranium connections. And if the AI has SDI, make sure you have lots of nukes

I've rolled the dice. Let's discuss the starting position.

Well, despite the fact there are already four resources in the cross, it's not coastal. And to the left, there's a fish resource that will not be covered by the fat cross if we move one tile left (which would've been the obvious move if it wasn't there).

This is definitely not a straight "settle in place" situation. Split the resources to make 2-3 fairly good cities? ...or make one excellent city? You decide.

By the way, one more member needed! The Nuclear Warlords want YOU!

I was never very good at these type of descions, however...

I like Settling in place here, gets us a four resource, riverside, super capital...

However, if we wanted to split it up, moving 2N might be a good idea...

That would entail one city with marble and rice, and another with corn and cows...

But my vote is settle in place...

Settling 1 square from the coast is generally frowned upon, so settling in place is not preferred. Either we move 'em further inland, or move em until it's next to the shore.

And besides, moving 1W would grab all 4 initial start position resources AND be on the coast, if that's what you intended. :D

Top Bottom