[BtS] NextWar-Enhanced

Ansible

Chieftain
This is a mod for BtS that incorporates the Next War techs/buildings/units as well as many other additions and balances.

This mod is for folks that like the regular gameplay but want to add a bit of flavour/balance to the industrial/modern/future eras.

The aim of the mod is to flesh out the game a bit without radically changing the gameplay. AI compatibility and balance are important - I don't plan any features that put the AI at a disadvantage.

v1.4 uploaded, highlights include: v3.13 patch 'preview', expanded naval and air unit trees, various balance changes and bug fixes

Enjoy,

Ansible

----------------------

Download: NextWar-Enhanced_v1.4.zip

v1.4 changelog:
Spoiler :
-v3.13 patch preview changes:
*Customs House and Feitoria give +100% Foreign trade route income
*Corporation Headquarters give 4 gold per corporation city to balance corporation immunity to inflation
*Military Science moved to Renaissance
*Unlimited Corporate Executives now allowed
*Blitz promotion available to ships
*Frigate and Ship of the Line bombardment ignores Walls and Castles
*Paratroopers have 25% evasion chance
*Ger obsoletes with Advanced Flight (like Stable)
*Mind control center reduces production by 15% (was 25%)
*Added Solver's events (Thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234527)
*Added Solver's Unofficial BtS Patch (Thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=235067)

-Apollo program now requires Satellites instead of Rocketry
-added new technology: Aeronautics
-Cold Fusion requires Super Conductors instead of Bionics
-added unit Strategic Bomber - uses B52 model by snafusmith
-added unit Stealth Fighter - uses F35 model by nautil
-Destroyer no longer upgrades to Stealth Destroyer
-reduced movement of Submarine to 5
-Airship now requires Aeronautics (was Physics)
-added new unit Biplane - uses Sopwith Camel model
-added Artillery requirement to Battleship
-added Rocketry requirement to Missile Cruiser
-added Rocketry requirement to Heavy Missile Cruiser
-increased bombard rate of Heavy Missile Cruiser to %22
-reduced bombard rate of Four-stacker Destroyer to %14
-Four-stacker destroyer can now see submarines
-Four-stacker Destroyer requires Assembly Line and Steel (was combustion)
-renamed Dreadnought Tank to Titan
-added requirement for Composites to Titan
-renamed Four-stacker Transport to Steamer Transport
-Steamer Transport requires Assembly Line and Steel (was combustion)
-renamed Attack Submarine (Oil-based) to Hunter-Killer Submarine
-Hunter-Killer submarine requires refrigeration instead of rocketry
-Hunter-Killer Submarine stats changes: Attack 30, moves 6, cost 175, bonus %20 versus missile submarines
-added unit Attack Submarine (Nuclear-based) - uses Akula model
-added unit Dreadnought (ship) - uses Dreadnought model by snafusmith
-Attack Submarine stats changes: Attack 32, moves 7, cost 225, bonus %25 versus missile submarines
-Ballistic Missile Submarine stats changes: cost 200
-reduced cargo capacity of Ballistic Missile Submarine to 4 (from 6)
-added improved buttons for new units
-replaced Transport model with Libery Ship model (by snafusmith)
-Assault Mech now requires aluminum
-added Nanoid promotion to Gunpowder unit class
-removed Nanoid promotion from Assault Mech unit class
-imported Nercury's Planet_Generator.py map script (version 0.68)
-reduced occurrence of Oil resource (to 1/player)

v1.3 changelog:
Spoiler :
-rebalanced early modern naval unit tech requirements:
*ironclad now requires steam power (was steam power AND steel)
*four-stacker transport now requires combustion (was assembly line)
*four-stacker destroyer now requires combustion (was assembly line)
*transport now requires assembly line AND combustion (was combustion)
*destroyer now requires assembly line AND combustion (was combustion)
*submarine now requires radio AND combustion (was radio)
*battleship now requires industrialization AND combustion (was industrialization)

-Attack submarine: added %25 bonus vs Ballistic Missile Submarine

-imported Typhoon submarine model (by GeneralMatt)
-added unit Ballistic Missile Submarine - uses Typhoon submarine model

-transport now requires oil (was coal OR oil)

-imported Steamer Transport model (by Chamaedrys)
-added unit Four-stacker Transport - uses Steamer Transport model

-reduced strength of Four-stacker destroyer to 22 (was 24)

-renamed Early Destroyer to Four-stacker Destroyer

-replaced buttons for new units

v1.21 changelog:
Spoiler :
-fixed crash when building new units

v1.2 changelog:
Spoiler :
-updated to Solver's latest unofficial BTS patch (20070816)

-added new technology:
Nuclear Power - requires fission and steam power

-modified buildings:
Nuclear Plant - requires Nuclear Power

-added new units:
Early Destroyer (requires Assemble Line + steel + coal)
Heavy Missile Cruiser (requires Robotics + Nuclear Power + Uranium)
Supercarrier (requires Advanced Flight + Nuclear Power + Uranium)

-Unit resource requirement changes:
Attack Submarine now requires oil (was uranium)
Battleship now requires oil (was oil OR uranium)
Carrier now requires coal OR oil (was oil OR uranium)
Destroyer now requires oil (was oil OR uranium)
Dreadnought now requires aluminum (was iron)
Missile Cruiser now requires oil (was oil OR uranium)
Submarine now requires oil (was oil OR uranium)
Stealth Destroyer now requires oil (was oil OR uranium)
transport now requires coal OR oil (was oil OR uranium)

-changed primary tech on Space Elevator to Fusion (visual change only)

v1.12 changelog:
Spoiler :
-added new map script New_Terra
Based on Terra map script, but generates normal-sized maps and doesn't restrict starting locations to the 'old world'.

v1.11 changelog:
Spoiler :
-fixed problem with paths in zip file

v1.1 changelog:
Spoiler :
-added fusion tech as a requirement to build the Space Elevator wonder (jkp1187)

v1.0 changelog:
Spoiler :
-merged Solver's unofficial BTS patch (20070814)

-modifed several SS components to require later techs
SS Engine requires Cold Fusion (was Fusion)
SS Cockpit requires Cybernetics (was Fiber Optics)
SS Docking Bay requires Shielding (was Satellites)
SS Life Support requires Hydroponics (was Ecology)
SS Stasis Chamber requires Cloning (was Genetics)

-fixed bug where great people could force their building before required tech

-reduced scale of Dreadnought model

-merged the arcology improvement handling code from the Next War mod

-merged the terrain improvement tech bonuses from the Next War mod

-merged the Clear Fallout (Fast) worker action from the Next War mod

-merged the following promotions from the Next War mod:
Anti-Biological Warfare
Nanoids

-merged the following units from the Next War mod:
Assault Mech
Automatons
Biological Warfare Missile
Clones
Cyborg
Dreadnought

-merged the following buildings from the Next War mod:
Advanced Shielding
Arcology
Arcology Shielding
Biological Warfare Lab
Centers for Disease Control
Cloning Factory
Mind-Control Center

- merged the following technologies from the Next War mod:
Advanced Shielding
Aquaculture
Biological Warfare
Bionics
Cloning
Cold Fusion
Cybernetics
Hydroponics
Shielding

Credits:

ArdRaeiss: Zuikaku Carrier model
Chamaedrys: Steamer Transport model
GeneralMatt: Kirov Cruiser model , Typhoon Submarine model
jkp1187: SS tech ideas
nautil: F35 fighter model
Nercury: Planet_Generator map script
Refar: Akula model
Solver: Solver's Unofficial BtS Patch, SolversEvents
snafusmith: 4Stacker Destroyer model, B52 bomber model, Libery Ship model

Ansible -- thanks a lot! I really appreciate your work on this.

FYI -- I went ahead and added "Fusion" as an extra technology requirement for the Space Elevator, per the discussion in the other thread. I have added it to the zip file and labeled it as version 1.1.

I assume that all that was necessary was for me to add the tech as follows in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml....

Code:
            <PrereqTech>TECH_ROBOTICS</PrereqTech>
            <TechTypes>
                <PrereqTech>TECH_SATELLITES</PrereqTech>
                <PrereqTech>TECH_FUSION</PrereqTech>
                <PrereqTech>NONE</PrereqTech>

Again, the only difference between this and the previous file is that in this new zipfile, construction of the Space Elevator requires the techs: Robotics, Satellites AND Fusion. The purpose of this is to delay the construction of the Space Elevator to a later point in game, so that players can have a chance to use more of the NextWar technologies before the game is over by space race.

(Ansible, hope you don't mind me making this change to your mod.)

The zip file is here: EDIT -- just use Ansible's link above.

Took a quick look at the jkp1187's version's civilopedia, and I didn't notice any of the changes, even the new technologies from Next War seemed to be missing. I'll take a more in-depth look at the XML files later.

Edit: Ok, it all seems to be there, I'll start a game later tonight (after the new Mythbusters:D ). The reason all the changed stuff didn't seem to be there was because the files were included in a nest of extraneous folders.

FYI -- I went ahead and added "Fusion" as an extra technology requirement for the Space Elevator, per the discussion in the other thread. I have added it to the zip file and labeled it as version 1.1.
I completely missed that discussion! It's a good idea. I fixed the paths in your zip file (see Alkyon's comment above) and added it to the first post as v1.11.

I assume that all that was necessary was for me to add the tech as follows in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml....
Yep, easy as pie...

Ansible -- thanks a lot! I really appreciate your work on this. (Ansible, hope you don't mind me making this change to your mod.)
No worries, consider it your mod :D

It took me a bit to figure out why I had a new mod named "Program Files", but it wasn't a real biggie jkp. Now, just need to add the religions and such from the Gods of Old mod to this :D.

Just a question Ansible, since you made most of this mod, can you "game over" the game by using too many nukes like in the original Next War mod that came with the game?

Just a question Ansible, since you made most of this mod, can you "game over" the game by using too many nukes like in the original Next War mod that came with the game?

No, I didn't merge any of that code in... (Nukes are useless enough as it is ;) ) Nukes work exactly the same way as they do in vanilla BTS.

I've added a new map script to the mod: New Terra. It's based on the vanilla Terra script (which I think generates much more interesting maps than Continents or Fractal).

Ansible -- I am about to enter the endgame in my first test game (I am still losing, but Sid's Sushi is keeping me in the running.) Anyway, it doesn't look as though there will be sufficient time to actually get to the upper-level techs. The game still ends at 500 turns. Are the tech costs supposed to be scaled back a little so that you have a chance to get through to the end? Or am I just playing badly in this particular game? It doesn't feel like they are....

...it doesn't look as though there will be sufficient time to actually get to the upper-level techs. The game still ends at 500 turns. Are the tech costs supposed to be scaled back a little so that you have a chance to get through to the end? Or am I just playing badly in this particular game? It doesn't feel like they are....

Hmmm... In most of the games where I survived 'till the modern age, I had no problem getting all the techs (I usually play epic speed at prince). Maybe try another one and see how it goes before we start changing the number of turns...

why dont you help one of the MODs already there and make a GREAT MOD??

Well, I posted this mod for a few reasons:

- This mod was originally for personal use, then jkp1187 and Alkyon had some good ideas in another thread, so I made their changes and posted it here.

- Personally, I'm not interested in radically changing the gameplay with this one. I just want to fix Next War and flesh out the late game a bit.

- I usually play single player, so I don't want any features that puts the AI at a disadvantage.

You're welcome to incorporate any changes we make into your Next War mod. (If you'd like help, let me know.)

Ansible -- I am about to enter the endgame in my first test game (I am still losing, but Sid's Sushi is keeping me in the running.) Anyway, it doesn't look as though there will be sufficient time to actually get to the upper-level techs. The game still ends at 500 turns. Are the tech costs supposed to be scaled back a little so that you have a chance to get through to the end? Or am I just playing badly in this particular game? It doesn't feel like they are....

Well, now that I finally got a good game going (I got tired of dealing with pissy neighbors, so I started a game with Sitting Bull and used his Dog Soldiers to Ax-rush anyone on my continent), its 1947, most of my cities have arcologies, I've already built my SS Life Support and all of my SS Casings are in production. Of course, I might be having more time because I prefer to play on Epic speed.

You're welcome to incorporate any changes we make into your Next War mod. (If you'd like help, let me know.)

Hey, could I get your help to add the Gods of Old religions and such to this mod? I looked at the XMLs a while back and editing that seems fairly simple, but I have no clue after that.

Hey, could I get your help to add the Gods of Old religions and such to this mod? I looked at the XMLs a while back and editing that seems fairly simple, but I have no clue after that.

It'd probably be easier to start with Gods of Old as a base, then add the Next War stuff in. (It looks like there are far more new features and changes to Gods of Old than there are to Next War.)

Why don't you make a new thread and get some discussion going? I can help you get started with the edits.

It'd probably be easier to start with Gods of Old as a base, then add the Next War stuff in. (It looks like there are far more new features and changes to Gods of Old than there are to Next War.)

Why don't you make a new thread and get some discussion going? I can help you get started with the edits.

Started the thread here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5831827#post5831827

Any help/ideas on how to modify Gods of Old are welcome.

Hmmm... In most of the games where I survived 'till the modern age, I had no problem getting all the techs (I usually play epic speed at prince). Maybe try another one and see how it goes before we start changing the number of turns...

Belay my last. I think I'm in a game where the combination of warlike personalities and terrain (It's a very mountainous map,) is leading to slower tech for all. Some of the AI who are ahead of me have built arcologies and some of the later spaceship parts.... FWIW, I typically play on "normal" speed. I'll try another "normal" game after this on a more conventional map.

Hey -- I do have another modding question for you -- how do I add a description to the mod that is visible when looking in the "advanced" menu? Since as the earlier poster mentioned there are several homebrew patches to this mod, it would be nice to clarify what, specifically, was done to this one in case someone has multiple versions hanging around in his/her "Mods" file. I checked the Final Frontier mod, since I knew it had explanatory text (specifically the FInal Frontier.ini file,) and I saw the following:

Code:
; Name of Mod
Name = TXT_KEY_SCENARIO_TITLE

; Description of Mod
Description = TXT_KEY_DAWN_OF_MAN_TEXT

....but I don't see where TXT_KEY_SCENARIO_TITLE or DAWN_OF_MAN_TEXT are located. I checked FinalFrontierTextInfosObjects.xml in the path:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Final Frontier\Assets\XML\Text

but they don't seem to be located there.

Also, am I correct in assuming that there aren't any voice-overs for the new technologies for NextWar? (Doesn't look like I'll be able to get to them in my first test game, as Elizabeth is about to win a cultural victory, but I didn't see any "sounds" files.)

TXT_KEY_DAWN_OF_MAN_TEXT is (for final frontier) in FinalFrontierTextInfosPedia.xml.
TXT_KEY_SCENARIO_TITLE appear to be hardcoded. Presumably to the name of the mods directory.

TXT_KEY_DAWN_OF_MAN_TEXT is (for final frontier) in FinalFrontierTextInfosPedia.xml.
TXT_KEY_SCENARIO_TITLE appear to be hardcoded. Presumably to the name of the mods directory.

Hmm. Is the "DAWN_OF_MAN_TEXT" the location for the text you see when choosing mods? Or is it the text you see when the game actually starts?

(I suspect the latter.)

Top Bottom