[BtS] NextWar-Enhanced

Hey -- I do have another modding question for you -- how do I add a description to the mod that is visible when looking in the "advanced" menu?
Hmm... not sure offhand. Do you now of another mod that displays custom text here? If so, I can take a look...

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Final Frontier\Assets\XML\Text

but they don't seem to be located there.
A given Mod may not set a given text key value, instead it'll use the vanilla BTS value for that key.
The vanilla BTS text files are located at:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Text

Also, am I correct in assuming that there aren't any voice-overs for the new technologies for NextWar?
That's correct, there weren't any included in the original Next War mod/scenerio.

Hmm. Is the "DAWN_OF_MAN_TEXT" the location for the text you see when choosing mods? Or is it the text you see when the game actually starts?

(I suspect the latter.)
It's the text you see when the game starts... This mod doesn't define that key, just uses the default text. If you want to customize it, just define the key in one of the files under XML/Text.. (the Misc.xml file would probably be best)

BTW, I'm working on diversifying the late game ships a bit.. I'm think of removing the uranium options for some of the later ships, and adding new nuclear powered variants that require a few extra techs, and are slightly faster/more powerful.

I'm also thinking of adding a few earlier coal-fired units to fill in the gap between the Ironclad and the first oil-based units (like a coal powered wwI-era destroyer and transport). These would be a bit slower/less powerful the the standard units.. but still allow a player without oil to be competive for a few years.

Actually, I think the "dawn of man" text was more appropriate to what I was looking for.

Noticed that although the civilopedia entries properly show that the Space Elevator requires fusion, the space elevator icon is not showing up on the tech path. Is there a way for me to fix this easily?

BTW, I'm working on diversifying the late game ships a bit.. I'm think of removing the uranium options for some of the later ships, and adding new nuclear powered variants that require a few extra techs, and are slightly faster/more powerful.

I'm also thinking of adding a few earlier coal-fired units to fill in the gap between the Ironclad and the first oil-based units (like a coal powered wwI-era destroyer and transport). These would be a bit slower/less powerful the the standard units.. but still allow a player without oil to be competive for a few years.

I've uploaded v1.2, which adds some of the ideas above. You can download it from the top of the thread.

(jkp1187: I fixed the Space Elevate problem you mentioned above too)

I've uploaded v1.2, which adds some of the ideas above. You can download it from the top of the thread.

(jkp1187: I fixed the Space Elevate problem you mentioned above too)

Thanks. Which file has that fix in it? I am going to download your new mod, but I also want to keep a 'straight' version that just has the spaceship parts/space elevator fixes in them.

Thanks. Which file has that fix in it? I am going to download your new mod, but I also want to keep a 'straight' version that just has the spaceship parts/space elevator fixes in them.

The fix was made in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, diff below:
Spoiler :
Index: CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
===================================================================
--- CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (revision 40)
+++ CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (revision 41)
@@ -25145,10 +25145,10 @@
<FreeStartEra>NONE</FreeStartEra>
<MaxStartEra>NONE</MaxStartEra>
<ObsoleteTech>NONE</ObsoleteTech>
- <PrereqTech>TECH_ROBOTICS</PrereqTech>
+ <PrereqTech>TECH_FUSION</PrereqTech>
<TechTypes>
+ <PrereqTech>TECH_ROBOTICS</PrereqTech>
<PrereqTech>TECH_SATELLITES</PrereqTech>
- <PrereqTech>TECH_FUSION</PrereqTech>
<PrereqTech>NONE</PrereqTech>
</TechTypes>
<Bonus>NONE</Bonus>

The fix was made in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, diff below:
Spoiler :
Index: CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
===================================================================
--- CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (revision 40)
+++ CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (revision 41)
@@ -25145,10 +25145,10 @@
<FreeStartEra>NONE</FreeStartEra>
<MaxStartEra>NONE</MaxStartEra>
<ObsoleteTech>NONE</ObsoleteTech>
- <PrereqTech>TECH_ROBOTICS</PrereqTech>
+ <PrereqTech>TECH_FUSION</PrereqTech>
<TechTypes>
+ <PrereqTech>TECH_ROBOTICS</PrereqTech>
<PrereqTech>TECH_SATELLITES</PrereqTech>
- <PrereqTech>TECH_FUSION</PrereqTech>
<PrereqTech>NONE</PrereqTech>
</TechTypes>
<Bonus>NONE</Bonus>

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think I've already done that...unless the "+" and "-" you've indicated above are actually supposed to be added to the code -- is that right?

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think I've already done that...unless the "+" and "-" you've indicated above are actually supposed to be added to the code -- is that right?

Ah, don't worry about the pluses and minuses... they just show which lines were added and which were removed. You probably have it right.

FYI: The diff format provided is a pretty common method of exchanging txt file modifications over Internet (though used more commonly with program source files). There are many tools available that could take the above diff and automatically make the changes to the file.

If you're curious, the concept is explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff

Do you plan on adding any new civilizations to the mod, such as modern ones to fit the mod time period (i.e current perhaps)?

Do you plan on adding any new civilizations to the mod, such as modern ones to fit the mod time period (i.e current perhaps)?

Ya, I've been thinking about including Canada as a new civ... with the leaders covering some of the missing trait combos (Thread on this here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=243993)

BTW, I uploaded a new version (1.4) - see the first post for details.

Ansible

I will download this mod when you add new civs to it and balance it. Until then everything is pretty much in vain, I like things simple, except if there are 3 super pow(n)ers and one hyper power (Southern Empire)

I will download this mod when you add new civs to it and balance it

I'd be interested in hearing any ideas you have on improving balance (or what you think is currently broken for balance)...

Ansible

Edit: From re-reading your post, it sounds like you misunderstood what this mod is about. This mod has little to do with the Next War scenario - it doesn't contain the three superpowers you mentioned at all. Rather, it's a mod to regular gameplay, containing all the regular BTS civs, that happens to include the Next War techs/building/units, among many other changes, mostly in the name of balance or improving gameplay. (Almost all changes/additions occur in the industrial, modern, and future eras.)

Oh... well then this is perfect, no complaints from here! :D

What will be the features of 1.5 ?

Here's another question for you -- I'm currently using Solver's unofficial 3.13 patch. Is the DLL file you included necessary to run the game, or can I leave it off and continue to run on the updated version of Solver's patch?

Here's another question for you -- I'm currently using Solver's unofficial 3.13 patch. Is the DLL file you included necessary to run the game, or can I leave it off and continue to run on the updated version of Solver's patch?

Solver's unofficial 3.13 patch?

Hi Ansible -- just an FYI, I have used the core code you created for your mod to create a more 'vanilla' NextWar mod. I updated the code so that it was compatible with 3.13, and includes the Space Race changes (as well as a few other minor tweaks of my own, such as voice-overs for the NextWar tech quotations,) but not the subsequent stuff you put in the mod.

It can be found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6118312#post6118312

Feel free to re-use whatever you'd like as long as you give me a shout-out.

Thanks!

Top Bottom