2019 NFL Offseason thread

Jimmy G has been much better than awful throughout almost all of his (limited) regular-season starts throughout his career.

You can make the argument that he was simply out of practice due to his injuries and he's now back in the swing of things. How true that argument is I cannot say, but we can assume Shanahan would be more familiar with the truth of it than we are.

Starters don't play in the final preseason game, but given how this situation is exceptionally unusual, they might very well play him again in their next game. I genuinely wonder whether or not they'll play him next week.

"It's just one game. You can't judge anything by just one game." - Kyle Shanahan

""Forget everything that's ever happened before and just look at this game here." - Kyle Shanahan, five days later.

You do have to admit that's a textbook example of modern spin methods. Not to mention a good example of someone desperately trying to keep their morale out of the toilet.

"It's just one game. You can't judge anything by just one game." - Kyle Shanahan

""Forget everything that's ever happened before and just look at this game here." - Kyle Shanahan, five days later.
Short memory can be an asset at times... as can being full of horsehocky

Short memory can be an asset at times... as can being full of ****

The former can be quite useful for pitchers, QBs, cornerbacks, and safeties but not coaches IMO. The latter is, well, more of an ass-et....

If Jimmy G can play to his potentially you certainly can.

There will be no world peace because of all the bombs Jimmy G is going to throw.

With no power comes no responsibility. I'll waste my fantasies on what I want thank you very much :p

If you think you are going to will the 49ers into the playoffs you are claiming to have great power indeed.

If they have subpar QB play and Nick Bosa can't stay healthy then they are going to suffer, that's for sure.

If you think you are going to will the 49ers into the playoffs you are claiming to have great power indeed.

True enough, but comparing that to what it would take to get world peace is like comparing what it would take to launch a firecracker a hundred meters
into the air vs. what it would take to launch the Queen Mary into geosynchronous orbit.

True enough, but comparing that to what it would take to get world peace is like comparing what it would take to launch a firecracker a hundred meters
into the air vs. what it would take to launch the Queen Mary into geosynchronous orbit.

I'm thinking they might differ in the altitude, but either way it involves launching the Queen Mary.

Yes, put me down for categorically, absolutely, unequivocally, the 49ers are not gonna make the playoffs. I will go so far as to say that beyond week...let's go with six...the 49ers will not be able to say, at any point "if the season ended today we would be in the playoffs." Not leading the division, not in a wildcard position, nothin'. Six games in they are more likely to be 2-4 and circling the drain than thinking about playoffs.

If their important players stay healthy and Jimmy G plays like they want then they are a solid team.

If we did our pick'em contest all in advance with only what we know now, I would have them winning at least 3 of their first 6 games. Bucs, Bengals, Redskins should be wins. Then, of course, the Steelers and Browns are harder but they're at least home games.

I’m having a lot of trouble deciding who I should start for week 1 of my fantasy.

Between Matt Ryan and Jaimes Winston.

Winston will have a better offensive head coach than he’s ever had who can get the most out of him. But their offensive line remains a weakness, and if all the starters for the 49ers d-line are healthy it could be very difficult for him to put up good numbers.

Matt Ryan I believe will be one of the very best QBs (for fantasy purposes) in the NFL this year but we already know for a fact that the Vikings D is no joke.

If Bosa isn’t healthy I will definitely take Winston. Otherwise, that is a tough decision.

Since you're playing me, I refuse to make a recommendation. :lol:

But I know what I'd do.

I have not selected a single Colts player in my fantasy this year so far. I'm feeling pretty good about that right now.

I think the Texans are going to horribly regress, which leads the division wide open to the Titans and Jags. The league is worse/less fun without Luck but oh well.

Edit: OJ Simpson was amongst the people who got boned LOL

What makes you think the Texans will regress that badly? They still look like an 8-11 win team to me per both advanced and non-advanced metrics, and no Andrew Luck skews that towards the high side. I'd even say the 9-10 mark is likely, and that's probably good enough to take the division.

No Andrew Luck helps obviously, perhaps two more wins a year. But I think the Titans and Jags will be better.

The Texans still have a miserably bad offensive line (not impressed with their top two draft picks at all) so the offense will continue to be hurt by the lowest common denominator. Ironically another AFC south QB just retired because of injuries specifically because of getting tons of hits on the QB because of bad o-line.

The odds that Watson goes down are pretty good and if that happens they are in huge trouble. And he already has a history of injury.

On the other side of the ball JJ Watt is very injury prone and he could easily go down again. This is also not including the fact that they will be losing Clowney for sure, and their secondary has experienced some downgrades compared to last year.

The Titans roster is at least as good as that of the Texans on both sides of the ball.

The Jags have a QB with a MUCH ceiling than any they’ve had in a long time. And their defense can shut Watson (even if he stays healthy) down any day of the week if their o-line hasn’t improved (I’m banking that it hasn’t).

The Titans will also have one of the best offenses in the NFL in 2019, but at the very least in their division. A weaker Texans secondary and without Clowney (and a Watt that might or might not be healthy but even if he is...) is something they can abuse all night long.

Edit: fwiw I forgot to mention that I am aware all the “experts” agree with you that the Texans are the favorites to win the division. But I just don’t see it. They don’t depth at positions where they have injury prone starters, and the starters themselves are already downgrade from what they had last year.

Last edited:
Jags, Texans, and Titans should all finish with from seven to nine wins. Schedule favors the Jags so I expect them to win it.

Top Bottom