2019 NFL Offseason thread

Mingo takes Clowney's spot and the Texans are up Martin and a third round pick. Either Martin or one of their current linebackers gets packaged with the pick and traded somewhere for a tackle. Probably Miami. Word is that the hitch in the deal with Miami wasn't that they didn't want to do it, it was that Clowney refused to report for the physical. So they are apparently in the 'trade a tackle for a pass rusher/linebacker' market. Now it's just a matter of working out terms.

lol Mingo takes Clowney's spot like a molten wreck takes your car's spot after it catches fire. Dude is on his 6th team in 6 years for a reason

Also, there was talk that the Dolphin's locker room would revolt if they traded Tunsil (probably traumatized by Adam Gase doing that) and a brand new HC can't really handle that. If that's true then it doesn't really matter what the Texans offer.

EDIT: Relevant

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's worth sacrificing some strength on your d-line to make sure Deshaun Watson doesn't die on the field from an o-line that has literally sacked him. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a little spooked by Luck's retirement.
:lol: LMFAO at that video. Thanks for that LC.

considering what they had to give up to get him, the future still isn't looking good for Houston IMO. But even I agree, they had little choice. You have got to protect your franchise QB.

But for all practical purposes, they got robbed twice. And the Dolphins will have so much draft capital for 2020 that it will be unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1167949016169975808

edit: One thing I'll say (that might have the only opinion here on CFC NFL) is that this STILL doesn't make the Texans favorites to win their division. Yes, their offense will obviously be better but their defense will be flaming garbage. The Titans have the firepower to torch it all night long. OTOH if any team can shut the Texans offense down it's the Jaguars.

I anticipate most of Houston's games for this season will be shootouts; that's what happens when you have a team with a very good offense and an equally bad defense. "shootout teams" almost never win Championships, though.

Last edited:
Word is that the hitch in the deal with Miami wasn't that they didn't want to do it, it was that Clowney refused to report for the physical. So they are apparently in the 'trade a tackle for a pass rusher/linebacker' market. Now it's just a matter of working out terms.

The reason the deal with Miami failed was that Clowney was able to veto it by refusing to sign his franchise tender.
Hence the Seattle deal.

And yes, the Texans got robbed twice. It's not like left tackle was the only O-line problem and now they're a lot less able
to do anything about it.

The reason the deal with Miami failed was that Clowney was able to veto it by refusing to sign his franchise tender.
Hence the Seattle deal.

And yes, the Texans got robbed twice. It's not like left tackle was the only O-line problem and now they're a lot less able
to do anything about it.

They have two high draft pick rookie tackles. Chances are good that even though they weren't ready to start at tackle in the NFL they can move to the interior and be strong starters right away. In any event with them and Tunsil their line has a better future than a lot of teams have and they wouldn't be spending draft capital on it in the next couple years anyway. They most assuredly took it on the chin here, but it's not like Clowney or the circumstances left them a whole lot of options.

In other news, it didn't take long at all for Mahomes to sell out. :(

The same reason musicians do: You're selling your talent to a corporate overlord instead of being true to yourself.

The same reason musicians do: You're selling your talent to a corporate overlord instead of being true to yourself.

His talent isn't on display in that ad. That makes it distinctly different from a musician allowing their work to be reduced to an advertising jingle.

Fair enough, never thought of it that way.

Everyone gets it man. The Texans got jacked. What nobody seems willing to put on paper is how they'd have done better with Clowney. This article yammers about "The Patriot Way." Heck, by the rules of "The Patriot Way" Billy Bellyache would have told Clowney "You're holding out? Screw you, you're cut." and then the rumors would start circulating about missed meetings, insubordination, locker room strife, hidden injuries, and drug problems and Clowney would be lucky to get a tryout, much less the contract he is worth. No team can successfully operate "the Patriot way" but the Patriots, because it requires a head coach/GM who is totally divorced from any concept of the players being human beings and and owner that is completely willing to cheat against the best interests of his fellow owners; ie the salary cap.

I agree with you to an extent but I still think they handled the situation far more poorly than they could have.

The Seahawks are not the Patriots but compare it to that. We got a LOT for Frank Clark and then got Clowney for pennies on the dollar. It is possible for a management/owner to have some amount of moral values and still make not awful decisions.

I agree with you to an extent but I still think they handled the situation far more poorly than they could have.

The Seahawks are not the Patriots but compare it to that. We got a LOT for Frank Clark and then got Clowney for pennies on the dollar. It is possible for a management/owner to have some amount of moral values and still make not awful decisions.

I think Clark was a lot more up front about his unwillingness to stay. That put the Squawks in a position where they could deal him into a strong market. For some reason it seemed like Clowney was going to eventually come to an agreement until the deadline had passed. By then the choices came down to cut him, ignore him, or trade him in a deal that was basically a giveaway...and they made what, while bad, may have been the least bad choice.

Everyone gets it man. The Texans got jacked. What nobody seems willing to put on paper is how they'd have done better with Clowney.

Well, they wouldn't have gotten jacked trading him, and the defense would be better on paper (This assumes they had a chance of keeping him, of course). What I don't know is whether signing him would have jacked their salary cap, which would be significant since if memory serves, Watson is only a year or two away from his next contract.

This article yammers about "The Patriot Way." Heck, by the rules of "The Patriot Way" Billy Bellyache would have told Clowney "You're holding out? Screw you, you're cut."

If Chandler Jones is anything to go by, Darth Hoodie would have traded Clowney last year to avoid dealing with contract demands
he had no intention of meeting. Either way, it would have been cold blooded.

No team can successfully operate "the Patriot way" but the Patriots,
That has been convincingly demonstrated multiple times.

I think Clark was a lot more up front about his unwillingness to stay. That put the Squawks in a position where they could deal him into a strong market.
Actually, that wasn’t it. They’d just put up a massive contact to Wilson and Bobby Wagner and they knew they couldn’t pay everybody. The salary cap is why they traded him, not that he was unhappy where he was.

Similarly, I’m not entirely sure that he (Clowney) just wanted out. I think he wanted way more money than they’d be willing to pay so they wanted any compensation they could get. He didn’t want to go to a team with no playoff chances whatsoever which is why he refused to go Miami.

If they’d delt him at the appropriate time they’d have got far more compensation, but they didn’t.

There’s absolutely no way you can pay Clowney what he wanted and pay what they will have to pay for a sturdy o-line and other problems. They probably thought they could address it in the draft but the Eagles made sure that didn’t happen and they waited too long to deal him, keep waiting for a better deal that was never to be, and it was too late.

Where’s your proof that he just hated Houston?

Last edited:
Actually, that wasn’t it. They’d just put up a massive contact to Wilson and Bobby Wagner and they knew they couldn’t pay everybody. The salary cap is why they traded him, not that he was unhappy where he was.

Similarly, I’m not entirely sure that he (Clowney) just wanted out. I think he wanted way more money than they’d be willing to pay so they wanted any compensation they could get. He didn’t want to go to a team with no playoff chances whatsoever which is why he refused to go Miami.

If they’d delt him at the appropriate time they’d have got far more compensation, but they didn’t.

There’s absolutely no way you can pay Clowney what he wanted and pay what they will have to pay for a sturdy o-line and other problems. They probably thought they could address it in the draft but the Eagles made sure that didn’t happen and they waited too long to deal him, keep waiting for a better deal that was never to be, and it was too late.

Where’s your proof that he just hated Houston?

It isn't "just hated Houston." You're on the track with the issue of salary cap and what they'd have had to pay him. At one point magical thinking told them that they could in fact pay him what he wanted. That magical thinking involved "we drafted a tackle in the first round, and another in the second round, and we are set at tackle paying nothing but rookie contracts for the next four and five years." Then reality set in and the idea that two rookie tackles were going to make the overnight jump into the starting line anchors that they were dreaming of didn't happen. So they need the money more than they need Clowney, but now it's too late to deal him. I probably shouldn't have used the term "not up front" because it implies Clowney intentionally mislead them. It's more like they mislead themselves by being overly hopeful.

Ridiculously so, actually. Tackles are among the least likely draft picks to make an instant transition to starting in the NFL, no matter how high you have to draft them. But, with Tunsil as an anchor those two guys can possibly play inside while they bulk up their skills into being real NFL tackles. That could work out into a fairly solid o-line in a pretty short time, which might make it all work out, so long as Watt stays healthy and someone...anyone...else contributes something in terms of pass rush.

Top Bottom