22 st gorilla

Webrider

Prince
I took 10 wizzards with 8 rangers to capture the gorilla. Cut him down to size and used a ranger to capture him and ..... I did not get a st 22 animal.... it died..... boo hiss... It needs to be capturable. :) ..... BTW I could have taken him with 3 rangers and 3 wizzards. I have never seen that before and we have been played about 15 games of this mod. That was so cool. I like these epic monsters.

I love the hawk with dive bombing air attack. I wish there were more air attack creatures in the game. Some Griffon or Hypogryph or Wyvern riders would be cool. Guess graphics would be a limiting factor as well as the next obvious steps with anti air promotions or even air attack promotions. Dive bombing a bear with the hunter next is a very strong combination. I like it. They do wonders againt orc and gobblin hoards as well.

I'm pretty sure Gurid and Margalard ARE capturable. I did it myself in a PAtch B game. Dominated Gurid with Gibbon as the Dural.

They're beasts though, not animals. There are 3 ways to capture them, all of them difficult

1. Command promotions. You'll need High Priests or the Order/AV/FoL disciple heroes to get enough of them to have a decent chance. Command I-III will give you 50% odds. Plus Iv from Order pushes it up to 70%. A certain amount of luck is needed here.

2. Subdue beasts. Learnable by recon units only after you've researched Animal Mastery, which is an expensive lategame tech. Winning with a unit which has subdue beasts, has a 100% success rate AFAIK.

3. Dominate. The earliest, easiest method, especially if you rush deception and get Gibbon Goetia (who incidentally seems to be named after a type of monkey). The downside though is that your captured gorilla will be permananrly bonded to the caster, forever taking up a command slot, and making you unable to ever assign him to another commander.

I personally feel that units captured with dominate should eventually forget their old owner, and become permananrly yours after a while. Say, 30 turns or so.

They're beasts though, not animals. There are 3 ways to capture them, all of them difficult

2. Subdue beasts. Learnable by recon units only after you've researched Animal Mastery, which is an expensive lategame tech. Winning with a unit which has subdue beasts, has a 100% success rate AFAIK.

Correct. "Subdue Beast" is a late Recon promo. I capture them this way all the time. Very easy to do if you get a Beastmaster too.

BTW... there are TWO Gorrillalalalalalala's

Grape Ape, Grape Ape.

One Gorilla and one Orangutan.

Then I have to report a bug, I used a ranger with subdue animal to kill him. I used 3 pit fiends to get him down to st 12 then hit him with 3 rangers with subdue animal, and he died. This is the redish brown gorilla not the grey one.

subdue animals and subdue beasts are two different promotions.

The former comes at Animal Husbandry, the latter at Animal Mastery.

Maybe it should be renamed "Beast Tamer" or somesuch, for clarity and ease of differentiation.

Why do the pedia entries seem to suggest Rangers start with Subdue Animal and Beastmasters start with Subdue Beast, when this is not the case?

I think they did in an earlier version and nobody updated(or update(s)) the pedia.

indeed. it's a ghost in the pedia. Actually, there are probably many such things in there. Feel free to search them out and report them.

Personally I'd rather bring those free promotions back. I don't care as much about Rangers, but I definitely think that Beastmasters should have Subdue Beast. I also tend to think that they should have level requirements.

Bringing them back does sound better, to be honest. After all, rangers are generally known for kinship with animals. And besides, Beastmaster sounds like a Prestige class, so a level requirement seems logical.

If you do that keep in mind the Austin can NOT upgrade earlier versions to beastmasters and MUST build them fresh. (level restriction would not work for them)

Other races should be fine tho.

The gibbon is the most primitive member of the ape family, the one that includes King Kong and Bonzo, also the loudest, and so is not technically a monkey.

I don't see the need for a level requirement. In my experience, animals tend to be very sparse by the time you can build Rangers or Beastmasters anyway.

I never knew there was a difference between subdue animal and subdue beast. I bet I have played 50 games of ff.

The hard part is what is an animal and what is a beast? I know Archon, both big gorrillas, and some promoted spiders are beasts. Not easy to tell by looking tho.

You can check in the Pedia, by going to the UnitCategories page... There are actually quite a few. All of the dragons, Mother, Baron, all World Animals including the Leviathan, some of the summoned animals (Kraken, Sand Lions) and a few others. Mostly the animals that should not be easily captured.

Of course, this leaves off some of the higher promoted spiders, as their unitcombat is changed via promotion to Beast. I believe those are the only ones left off, though.

Top Bottom