Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
Spoiler Previous threads :

Random Rants
Random Rants Two
Random Rants 3
Random Rants 4: Keep Complaining
Random @#%& rants 5: Life is a female dog.
Random Rants VI: See, this is why we can't have nice things!
Random Rants VII: Why do they ALWAYS do that?!
Random Rantii VIII: When will Latin DIE?
Random Rants IX: I'm Mad As Hell, And I'm Not Gonna Take It Anymore!
Random Rants X: Mraarrrrrrr!!!!!!
Random Rants XI: This Title Actually Has Some Imagination
Random Rants XII: It's Alright To Cry
Random Rants XIII: I don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan
Random Rants XIV: You're gonna love my nuts
Random Rants XV: Like a Fine Whine
Random Rants XVI: Whambulance Dispatch Center
Random Rants XVII: Rage Against The Machine
Random Rants XVIII: It's cold as hell!
Random Rants XIX: Failure Tactics
Random Rants XX: I CAN'T FIND MY FAGS!!!
RANDOM RANTS XXI: Relapse
RANDOM RANTS XXII: The Angry Dome
RANDOM RANTS 23: Christ, you know it ain't easy!
Random Rants #XXIV - The Angry Mob
RANDOM RANTS XXV: Put a Smile On
RANDOM RANTS XXVI: Those Damned Kids!
Random Rants XXVII: The Rent Is Too Damn High!
RANDOM RANTS XXVIII: Everything is Flammable
Random Rants XXIX: Watch your %*$@ Language!
RANDOM RANTS XXX: age-restricted
RANDOM RANTS XXXI: I hate my job
RANDOM RANTS XXXII: I'm In a Glass Case of Emotion!
RANDOM RANTS XXXIII: World, Y U make me fed up wit U?!!
Random Rants XXXIV: Severe Cussing and VERY Illegal Pony Fights
Random Rants XXXV: BANNED IN THE UK
Random Rants XXXVI: Can't Sleep, Clown Will Eat Me
Random Rants XXXVII: The Server Is Too Busy
Random Rants XXXVIII: First World Problems
Random Rants XXXIX: Coming up with a title is stressful
Random Rants XL: I'm having trouble growing my wood
Random Rants XLI: Life won't take the lemons back!
Random Rants XLII: The Four-Part Plan
Random Rants XLIII: So Much Whinging Your Head May Explode
Random Rants XLIV: I Can't Find The Answer
Random Rants XLV: Isn't This Just a Ray of Sunshine?
RANDOM RANTS XLVI: Slightly More Than a Month-ly Edition #1
Random Rants XLVII: I don't like food anymore!
Random Rants XLVIII: Worst. Thread Title. Ever!
Random Rants XLIX - IT CHAFES MY ARSE!!!
Random Rants Νʹ: Pissed tae th' gills
Random Rants LI- Hell hath no Fury, like a Woman Scorned
Random Rants ნბ: WE FORGOT THE ANAESTHETIC!
Random Rants LIII: F My Life
Random Rants LIV: I Took An Arrow In The Knee
Random Rants LV: The Joy of Ranting
Random Rants LVI: Raving Mad
Random Rants LVII: wow. many anger. very whining.
Random Rants LVIII: Wassamatta U... Ah Shaddap you face.
Random Rants ΝΘʹ: Someone is wrong on the Internet
Random Rants LX: I wish to register a complaint
Random Rants 61
Random Rants ΞΒʹ: Bloody hell!
Random Rants #63: These Rants Don't Run
Random Rants LXIV: Who's Acting Like a Child Now?
Random Rants ΞΕ': No, YOUR thread titles suck!
Random Rants LXVI: NO, **YOUR** THREAD TITLES SUCK!!
Random Rants LXVII: Emptiness = Melancholia*Cheerlessness^2
Random Rants LXVIII: Burn it all to the ground and start over!
Random Rants LXIX: Life is a Dismal Chore
Random Rants LXX: CFCOT's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Random Rants OA - I Have 71 Problems, But This Thread Ain't One
Random Rants LXXII - What is wrong with us?
Random Rants LXXIII: "You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I don't like it."
Random Rants 75: This is Bat Country!
Random Rants 76: Argh! Augh! Ahhh!
Random Rants LXXVII: I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no cookies!
Random rants --...---.. don't expect others to convert for you
Random Rants 79: [Impassionating Intensified
Random Rants 80: Computer Says No
Random Rants ΠΑ: That's a paddlin'
Random Rants 0x52: [Obligatory rant about title]
Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required
Random Rants Eighty-Four: Rants Gone Wild!!!!
Random Rants ΠΕ': You're standing on my neck.
Random Rants LXXXVI: OH, FUDDLE-DUDDLE!
Random Rants 87: 2020 Is Just Aimee's Latest Sims Run
Random Rants #88: [incoherent screaming]

This is thread #89, for those who don't read Roman numerals.

Moving is never fun. This is one of those moves from hell. Now the building manager thinks he can dictate which room I'm going to sleep in.

The building manager can stuff it.

Today is one of my "ugly days," where I feel like I should donate myself to the zoo as an ogre exhibit.

Rant: Everything hurts.

I'm at my sister house, I don't play enough game. I wanna play a good rpg game. Enough with this among us.

I'm at my sister house, I don't play enough game. I wanna play a good rpg game. Enough with this among us.
The last RPG game I played which I really liked was GreedFall. That was my favorite since Dragon Age Origins.

The last RPG game I played which I really liked was GreedFall. That was my favorite since Dragon Age Origins.

I've seen it a lot, and I check the review quite much, with a little push from Mary's recommendation, Haroon might decide to have it during the winter sales.

I was reading some of the party platforms of some of Canada's horrible right-wing parties (I don't know why) and I saw the phrase literally "deserving poor" and "undeserving poor" used in the platform for a supposedly Christian party and I nearly flipped over my chair in rage.

I think I will stop reading those.

Took a paid consumer and media survey and found myself wondering at who wrote the terrible questions. Examples include:
"Over the last 3 months, how many pounds of flour have you purchased?"
"What system do you use to play video games? Choose from the list." ->PC not on list.
"What method do you use to watch television? TV or network streaming service?" ->No option for Youtube clips which is how I consume all shows (late night/comedy shows) apart from Star Trek.

The survey makers also clearly hate renters:
"Do you own a fridge and did you purchase it in the last 12 months?"
"What type of AC do you own?"
Etc.
Don't "own" any of that.

Covid also threw in some good laughs to the survey questions:
"How many times have you been to a bar or nightclub in the last six months?"
"Have you seen any of the following movies in theater during the last six months?"
"How often do you go out to social events with friends and family?"
"Do you plan on doing international travel in the next 12 months?"
"Have you bought clothes in the last 12 months to give a good impression at work?" ->These days, I'm wearing a pair of jeans from high school and whatever t-shirt smells the freshest.

And my favorite:
"Do you plan on watching the 2020 Olympics in Japan?"

Ah well, got $40 out of the deal.

Last edited:
I was reading some of the party platforms of some of Canada's horrible right-wing parties (I don't know why) and I saw the phrase literally "deserving poor" and "undeserving poor" used in the platform for a supposedly Christian party and I nearly flipped over my chair in rage.

I'd say that these terms can be used meaningfully, without being mean.
Someone who's a lazy bastard and willingfully only lives on social support, despite being able to work, that one would be "deserving poor".
I guess they used it differently though.

Someone who's a lazy bastard and willingfully only lives on social support, despite being able to work, that one would be "deserving poor".

I guess they used it differently though.
Uhh... yeah.... In this context it's usually understood that 'deserving' is short for "deserving of social support under our oh-so-benevolent party policies".

Able-bodied dole-bludgers by that definition would therefore be 'undeserving' -- because those lazy *******s should be working.

And as someone who's grown up in Germany over the past couple of decades, you would also likely be horrified by the criteria that an average far-right (North American) politician might want to use to define 'able-bodied': @aimeeandbeatles, @Valka D'Ur, and @Synsensa would all likely 'qualify', simply because they can hold a coherent conversation, and walk without anyone else's assistance (at least on good days).
There should be no such thing as poor in a wealthy society.
Amen, sister.

Spare us ten dollars? ;)

My rant:

Witness my tax-Euros at work, people... Just got shown a note from my younger son's teacher -- dated today -- explaining that my son (last week) failed to complete and hand in two (frankly bullfeathers) make-work exercise-sheets, which the teacher knew perfectly well that he only received today -- because he finally gave them to him in person, instead of trying to pass them on via an unreliable classmate. Well, 'scuuuuuse us (Princess) that we don't happen to own a frickin' time-machine, I'll be sure to 'support' my son better in the future :rolleyes:

(And don't even get me started on the 15-Euro 'photocopy fee' that we pay every semester for each boy, which was levied in February, right before the nearly 6-month Covid-shutdown -- during which the school photocopied almost nothing for the kids, parents had to print all needed worksheets themselves -- and then again at the beginning of this semester, even though the school should still be sitting on that nearly-unspent pile of -- best guess -- ~15000 Euros' worth of photocopy-money. Guess someone had a real nice holiday...)

*deeeeeeep breath*

And as someone who's grown up in Germany over the past couple of decades, you would also likely be horrified by the criteria that an average far-right (North American) politician might want to use to define 'able-bodied': @aimeeandbeatles, @Valka D'Ur, and @Synsensa would all likely 'qualify', simply because they can hold a coherent conversation, and walk without anyone else's assistance (at least on good days).

The biggest failure in determining "able to work" is the over-reliance on bureaucracy. Everything is coded and labelled a very specific way, and any kind of deviation puts you in appeals hell or outright disqualifies you. The system also has an incredibly unrealistic image of the job market. I have had someone seriously suggest to me, after me saying that I could work somewhere within a 10-minute walk for a couple hours a day with a lot of leeway in rescheduling (and never two days in a row), that I should do exactly that and that that means I'm not unemployable. Except that isn't what employers hire for; it's an employer's market, not an employee's, and they have no incentive to hire someone with so many conditions on their able employment when they can just open the meat grinder and take the first schmuck that comes through the door who'll drop everything on a whim for their boss and work odd, long hours. (I'm sympathetic to the employer, actually, on this. They shouldn't have to make their scheduling so intensely complicated to cater to someone who needs so many concessions.)

Personally, I think someone choosing to do nothing forever likely has some sort of disability affecting them. Humans, barring neurological complications or severe mental illness, have a primal drive to contribute or at least function. You see it all the time when people get injured or fired. They enjoy their "do nothing" stage... to a point. After a while, they become restless and they want to be involved. A total absence of that, I feel, is suspect, and simply attributing it to laziness doesn't work. Even slothful people have a limit to inaction.

Really, I don't think we're at the stage of society where people need to be going without. Our technology is advanced enough and our productivity is high enough in order to provide everyone a decent quality of life. We just aren't willing to do it. A significant percentage of the world is raised from birth to believe in corrupt ideas such as "personal accountability" (wherein the things that benefit you are conveniently forgotten, and anyone who is without is obviously so because they personally failed and deserve it) and "needing to earn your survival." People are taught to crush others where possible, to hoard advantages, and to "other" their peers. The notion of a state and society that cares for all is specifically labelled as weakness and snuffed out of juveniles who believe in it. Slowly more and more people are coming around to it, but it's nowhere near the point of becoming reality. Most progressives still believe in remarkably conservative and cruel ideas when it comes to support for all. They say they believe in it, but there's always an asterisk next to it with "Terms and conditions apply."

I also think that most incapable people can contribute, in their own way, with the right supports. The issue here is that the system doesn't want them to contribute in their own way with the right supports. The system wants them to contribute like a "normal person," despite someone with difficulties being automatically excluded from that category. This is another failure of bureaucracy. There's very little interest in individualized care and work. You are a number on an assembly line, nothing more.

Why the hell would an employer hire someone who requires accommodations when there's like 50 ableds who don't need them also vying for the job?

I have had someone seriously suggest to me, after me saying that I could work somewhere within a 10-minute walk for a couple hours a day with a lot of leeway in rescheduling (and never two days in a row), that I should do exactly that and that that means I'm not unemployable.
This is exactly the kind of BS criteria that I was thinking about.

What I didn't realise (checking my privilege here) was that it's apparently already essentially baked-in to the existing system. That is genuinely horrific.

I agree with everything else you posted, too.

Why the hell would an employer hire someone who requires accommodations when there's like 50 ableds who don't need them also vying for the job?

Because to do otherwise would be discriminatory and punishable by the law

however, when the acceptance rate for even an interview hovers somewhere around 3%, to say nothing of the actual job offer to application ratio, how are you going to be able to tell?

Because to do otherwise would be discriminatory and punishable by the law

however, when the acceptance rate for even an interview hovers somewhere around 3%, to say nothing of the actual job offer to application ratio, how are you going to be able to tell?

"Oh yeah you're the best candidate but I'm not hiring you because accommodating you is too much of a hassle" - no employer ever

Took a paid consumer and media survey and found myself wondering at who wrote the terrible questions. Examples include:
"Over the last 3 months, how many pounds of flour have you purchased?"
"What system do you use to play video games? Choose from the list." ->PC not on list.
"What method do you use to watch television? TV or network streaming service?" ->No option for Youtube clips which is how I consume all shows (late night/comedy shows) apart from Star Trek.

The survey makers also clearly hate renters:
"Do you own a fridge and did you purchase it in the last 12 months?"
"What type of AC do you own?"
Etc.
Don't "own" any of that.

Covid also threw in some good laughs to the survey questions:
"How many times have you been to a bar or nightclub in the last six months?"
"Have you seen any of the following movies in theater during the last six months?"
"How often do you go out to social events with friends and family?"
"Do you plan on doing international travel in the next 12 months?"
"Have you bought clothes in the last 12 months to give a good impression at work?" ->These days, I'm wearing a pair of jeans from high school and whatever t-shirt smells the freshest.

And my favorite:
"Do you plan on watching the 2020 Olympics in Japan?"

Ah well, got $40 out of the deal.

Did you get any amusing attention checks? On a bunch of yes/no statements I sometimes get "I can shoot lasers from my eyes" or "I swim across the Atlantic Ocean every day."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom