Advice Thread VII: New Problems

Caesar of Bread

Trans Gordon Ramsay
1.I am going to a new high school and I am afraid!
2. I am envious that my little sister is Dad’s favorite, and that she has more talent than me.

How do I solve these issues?

Why are you afraid? Is it general nervousness, or are you anticipating problems with the teachers or your fellow classmates?

Favoritism... what does your dad say about this?

As for talent, everyone has something they're good at, and what they end up being good at often doesn't make itself known until later in life. I had no idea I could be good at needlepoint until I was in my 20s, for example. I hadn't figured out what kinds of stories I was good at writing until I was over 50.

Hopefully nobody in your family is telling you that you don't have talent. That's a reprehensible thing to say to someone.

Do you see this envy of your sister as a competition with her?

Why are you afraid? Is it general nervousness, or are you anticipating problems with the teachers or your fellow classmates?
All three..
Favoritism... what does your dad say about this?
He pretends he doesn’t have favorites, but he’s always biased towards my sis.
As for talent, everyone has something they're good at, and what they end up being good at often doesn't make itself known until later in life. I had no idea I could be good at needlepoint until I was in my 20s, for example. I hadn't figured out what kinds of stories I was good at writing until I was over 50.

Hopefully nobody in your family is telling you that you don't have talent. That's a reprehensible thing to say to someone.
My sister is.
Do you see this envy of your sister as a competition with her?
We’re different people. She is talented at dancing and singing. I’m not talented at all. I just want to be remembered, and I also want to show Dad that I am worth being the favorite.

Also I think I have autism

*I realized that I have autism, but I don’t want to be bullied for it

All three..

He pretends he doesn’t have favorites, but he’s always biased towards my sis.

My sister is.

We’re different people. She is talented at dancing and singing. I’m not talented at all. I just want to be remembered, and I also want to show Dad that I am worth being the favorite.

Also I think I have autism

Well, of course I don't know what your home life is like, so I can't say if your dad is playing favorites or if that's your perception that he is. What does your sister have to say about it? (you don't say how much younger she is).

It's normal to be nervous about new schools, teachers, and classmates. I won't pretend to have all the answers to that, since I tended to spend my out-of-class time either working in the library or doing homework with a few friends, or doing stuff for the clubs I joined (they were all involved with writing to some extent, from the school newspaper, the yearbook, and the poetry club).

I wasn't bullied as much in high school as in junior high, but even so some teachers thought it was 'cute' to make fun of me for being into Star Trek (not a lot of people in that school were willing to admit to being into science fiction back then). I just ignored them, figuring that if they weren't my teachers, they couldn't do anything to affect my marks.

If it's bullying you're worried about, find out the school's policies, know your rights, and tell your parents. Don't subscribe to the "don't be a snitch" notion. Telling a responsible adult if something bad is going on could save your life/mental health.

As for your sister... if she's telling you that you don't have talent, that's a nasty thing. You've got posts in A&E that tell me you're interested in writing. Writing is something that people can get good at, but only if they practice. If writing is something you want to be good at, by all means keep posting in A&E here, and I can find out about the youth program at NaNoWriMo, where there are people who can help younger writers.

Ditto anything else you're interested in. Most things take practice, and you may or may not develop a real interest in it. Music is another example. I've seen some people be technically perfect, but I wouldn't say they're talented unless they can touch their listeners' emotions. To do that, the performer has to feel something themselves.

It's sadly true that some people who are talented in a particular area don't respect the interests/skills of people in a different area. Hopefully, if that's her problem, she will grow out of it.

Only prodigies are instant experts, and most of us are not prodigies.

Unless the two of you are involved in the same activities, it's impossible to measure your skills against each other. If she's good at something at her age, great. Let her build on that and let you find your own things that you're interested in.

Sometimes it's actually not great to be talented at something. One of my talents is procrastination. I'm very good at that. :crazyeye:

*I realized that I have autism, but I don’t want to be bullied for it

Have you had an official diagnosis?

2. I am envious that my little sister is Dad’s favorite, and that she has more talent than me.

1. Just go there. I went to several high schools because of my parents moving around when I was a kid and nobody cared. You're the new kid, that makes you important for a day, but after a week people will forget.
2. She probably isn't. Shes the youngest child so she gets a certain amount of attention because of that. As for having more talent than you just prove people who think that wrong. You don't have to be better at everything, just find your niche.

It took me until like 40 to realize being good @ random things is overrated. You know how many miserable geniuses there are?

The more talented someone is the more they get rewarded for their identity.

When you're a f-up like me you know if anyone hangs around it must be for your charming personality :D

Well, of course I don't know what your home life is like, so I can't say if your dad is playing favorites or if that's your perception that he is. What does your sister have to say about it? (you don't say how much younger she is).

It's normal to be nervous about new schools, teachers, and classmates. I won't pretend to have all the answers to that, since I tended to spend my out-of-class time either working in the library or doing homework with a few friends, or doing stuff for the clubs I joined (they were all involved with writing to some extent, from the school newspaper, the yearbook, and the poetry club).

I wasn't bullied as much in high school as in junior high, but even so some teachers thought it was 'cute' to make fun of me for being into Star Trek (not a lot of people in that school were willing to admit to being into science fiction back then). I just ignored them, figuring that if they weren't my teachers, they couldn't do anything to affect my marks.

If it's bullying you're worried about, find out the school's policies, know your rights, and tell your parents. Don't subscribe to the "don't be a snitch" notion. Telling a responsible adult if something bad is going on could save your life/mental health.

As for your sister... if she's telling you that you don't have talent, that's a nasty thing. You've got posts in A&E that tell me you're interested in writing. Writing is something that people can get good at, but only if they practice. If writing is something you want to be good at, by all means keep posting in A&E here, and I can find out about the youth program at NaNoWriMo, where there are people who can help younger writers.

Ditto anything else you're interested in. Most things take practice, and you may or may not develop a real interest in it. Music is another example. I've seen some people be technically perfect, but I wouldn't say they're talented unless they can touch their listeners' emotions. To do that, the performer has to feel something themselves.

It's sadly true that some people who are talented in a particular area don't respect the interests/skills of people in a different area. Hopefully, if that's her problem, she will grow out of it.

Only prodigies are instant experts, and most of us are not prodigies.

Unless the two of you are involved in the same activities, it's impossible to measure your skills against each other. If she's good at something at her age, great. Let her build on that and let you find your own things that you're interested in.

Sometimes it's actually not great to be talented at something. One of my talents is procrastination. I'm very good at that. :crazyeye:

Have you had an official diagnosis?
Self diagnosis

To solve these issues, here are the things you could keep in mind:
1. Hope for the best and remember to give yoru best shot
2. Try to improve and you will have more talent.
Does this help you and make you feel any better? Let me know if you have other questions

Top Bottom