Age of Discovery - AAR

I will get back to this soon. I have been distracted playing Call Of Duty 2! ;)

That would be great! Would add some nice historical/period flavour. :)

Actually this is something that I wished the scenario had since I started playing it.

Yes, a very big chance...I have always been meaning to get back to it but never got around to it. Apologies to anyone who was following the story.

To be honest, I just got a bit bored of Civ, but I might see about posting a new update this evening. :)

Part 6 - The Update That Never Came, 1592-1602

Although Portugal had been captured, and Iberia at last united, Spain was still at war with Portugal, The Netherlands, Saxony and Scotland. Of these, only Holland sent any troops against Spain. Small numbers of Dutch troops had been sent across France, to the Spainish-French border, to harrass the Spanish border-garrisons, in order to support the Portugese. However, by the time they arrived, Portugal had already fallen! Nonetheless they pushed into Spain, and began pillaging farms and villages, before they were defeated by the larger armies of Spain.

King Darth vowed not to forget this show of defiance, and immediatley began planning to attack Holland. The king's advisors wanted to seek peace in Europe - after all, hadn't Spain completed it's goal of uniting Iberia? Wasn't that enough for now? King Darth disagreed - he wanted to show Europe that one does not declare war on Spain lightly...

And so it was decided, that in order to increase Spain's power in Europe, an army would be sent to Holland...

There was skrimishing in the New World islands too...

It was decided that the army would travel by sea, rather than crossing France, becuase that would be quicker. Troops began gathering in the port-city of Bilbao, and in 1597, they were ready to leave.

After 2.5 years at sea (Civ can be silly sometimes ;)), the army, consisting of 6 rifle-men, 3 bombards, and 3 cavalrymen, landed in the Netherlands, just south of Amsterdam. The troops were well equiped, well trained and numerous - victory was all but assured. Amsterdam was captured in the winter of 1601 - another triumph for the Spanish army. In a neat reversal of real-world history, the Netherlands was undeniably under Spanish control. The Dutch moved their capital to Fort Nassau, a colony in North America.

Holland fell relatively quickley...

Elesewhere in the world, the French war with the North American Indians was not going well - in 1599 the French colony of Djenne was captured by the Indians, and the following year the two factions declared peace - France's attempt to increase it's influence in the New World had effectively failed, and France had been humiliated by a relatively primitive people.

While French fortunes in the New World floundered, Spanish fortunes rose. In 1600, a magnificent new palace was built in New Spain. This functioned as a centre of organization for the Spanish colonies, and greatly reduced their maintainence costs - an issue which had been looked on with growing concern by Spanish bankers and aristocrats for some time. But now, no more! Along with new courthouses and markets, the palace had greatly eased the monetary strain placed on Spain by her colonies. Now, more money was availiable to be spent on scientific research, and culture.

Both Portugal and Holland now had no presence in mainland Europe, and had also converted to Anglicanism, whose holy city was Sao Salvador, a Portugese colony in the Carribbean.

The new Dutch capital, in the New World...

Spain was still involved in wars with Portgual, Holland, Saxony and Scotland, but with two successful European campaigns under her belt, and her money worries a thing of the past, there was no question over who the odds favoured...

There will be more to come, in another couple of months!! Nah, probably not more than afew days until the next update :D

Comments/feedback of any kind would be appreciated!

There will be another update coming tommorow.

Loved the Update, can't wait 4 next

Part 7 - Conflict in the Colonies, 1602-1658

In 1602, Spain made peace with Holland and Saxony, but remained at war with Scotland and Portugal.

Following the fall of Portugal and Holland, the focus of the conflict shifted to the New World. Portugal still had many colonies in the Carribbean, which Spain wished to sieze for her own empire. Scotland also had a small number of colonies in the Carribbean and Florida, and King Darth wanted to capture these too. There was skirmishing between colony-garrisons up and down the Carribbean, however for the most part little progress was made, apart from on the island of Cuba...

There conflict began badly for the Spanish, as New Spain, the first Spanish settlement in the Carribbean and centre of the Spanish New World was captured by the Porugese in 1604! The island of Cuba had been settled by both the Portugese and the Spanish during the early 1500s - the western two-thirds of the island belonged to the Spanish, and eastern part to the Portugese. There had been skirmishing between the two island-garrisons for some years, however in the summer of 1604 a concerted effort by the Portugese caught New Spain defended by only one longbowman, and the city was captured with relative ease. What a disgrace for Spain! The palace which been built in 1600 to reduce maintaince costs in the colonies was destroyed in the fighting, and the maintanance costs shot up again.

New Spain in Portugese hands. The loss of the palace there was bad news for King Darth's treasury

However, Portugal's success in the New World would be short lived. In 1606, fresh Spanish troops, veterans of the Portugese campaign in Europe, landed in Cuba, and the tide of the conflict was turned. Cavalrymen, Riflemen and Cannons had replaced the Knights, Pikemen and Bombards of the previous century. The Spanish troops, supported by shore-bombardment from mighty frigates, brought their new technolgy to bear against Portugal's new prize, and New Spain was re-captured in 1608.

New Spain looking battered and beaten. The palace was rebuilt in 1619.

The remainder of the new Colonial war progressed in much the same way. Over the period of the next 40 years, Portugal's colonial empire was dismantled and captured by Spain, colony by colony. The last Portugese colony in the Carribbean, Rio de Janerio near Florida, fell in 1640, after a massive bombardment carried out by Spain's growing fleet of frigates. The Portugese cities of Tangier and Fes in North Africa were also taken by the Spanish during this time, although Fes culture-flipped to the Ottomans shortly after it was captured.

Florida, a Scottish possestion, was taken by the Spanish in 1652. Having taken all of Portugal's Carribbean holdings, and most of Scotland's, Spain's dominance in the Carribbean New World was almost complete - only afew colonies, belonging to the French and the English, remained. Satisfyed with his progress, King Darth sought peace with Portugal and Scotland in 1655. Both accepted the end of the conflict keenly.

Spanish troops in Florida

The conflict in the colonies spread to North America also, as France re-newed it's efforts at displacing the Native Americans and expanding further into North America. France delcared war on the natives once again in 1618, and their attack began well, with the re-capture of their colony Djenne in 1620. The English joined the war in 1621, and Saxony followed in 1622. King Darth was asked many times to commit mighty Spain to the war too, but he declined - and he even continued Spain's trading relations with the Natives. It was after all, not in Spain's interest to aid their Old World rivals expansion. Despite France's good start, neither side made any progress as the war dragged on. France grew tired of the stalemate, and withdrew from the conflict in 1650, her attention was turned elsewhere...

France declared war on England in 1651! The port-city of Calais, England's only possestion in mainland Europe, was captured in 1655. Weather or not they would press on accross the channel into England itself, or merely be content with Calais, remained to be seen...

I might try and get one or two mega-updates in before Christmas, just to finish this off. Should be quite a simple matter as this game has more or less reached a point where victory is assured, barring acts of stupidity on my part or brilliance on the AI's part (which of those is more likely? :D)

Does this update have too much text? I have tried to keep them quite slim but this one seems quite long.

:)

I might try and get one or two mega-updates in before Christmas, just to finish this off. Should be quite a simple matter as this game has more or less reached a point where victory is assured, barring acts of stupidity on my part or brilliance on the AI's part (which of those is more likely? :D)

Does this update have too much text? I have tried to keep them quite slim but this one seems quite long.

no but more screenshots would be nice

Mega Mega Update :)

Huaya Capac, ruler of the ill-fated Mayans, who believed that every time you took a screenshot of him, you took a little piece of his soul

Ive havent heard something so funny for days :lol:

I was particularly proud of that one I have to admit. :D

Thanks! :)

Looks like there will be no mega-update though. I will leave this for now pick up the trail again after Christmas.

nice story hope you continue updating us ,you spread like the plague in the new world that was awsome:D by the way you have 2 part 6s... i cant get the AoD game to work:cry: :cry: :scared: :scared:

Fixed the part 6s :D

AoD only works with Civ 4, NOT Warlords....I think you also need the latest patch for Civ 4 (1.61 IIRC). If this isn't the problem then try posting in the AoD thread in the scenarios forum. :)

Fixed the part 6s :D

I think you also need the latest patch for Civ 4 (1.61 IIRC). If this isn't the problem then try posting in the AoD thread in the scenarios forum. :)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MY COMPUTOR IS BELOW SPECIFICATIONS i have another better computor upstairs but recently i cant play it because either
A. the screen turns off whenever a game is being played and
B.the game says there is something wrong when there is absolutly NOTHING WRONG
also im not allowed to dl stuff up there :(

There is a minor technical hitch stopping progress for now, but it should not be long until I finish this (sorry for the drip-drop updates.) :)

Top Bottom