Age of Discovery - AAR

I'd like to see you do a v1.12 game. ;)

But awesome progress all the same! Did you spread a religion through the NW?

Dale; what does NW stand for? I spread Catholicism through Mexico and parts of the Carribbean. A 1.12 game would be a good excuse to throw in more Sid Meier's Pirates! screenies... :D

Update will come as soon as my computer is sorted out.

Thanks for the comments all, they are very much appreciated. It is fun to play the game and write the updates, but it saps your enthusiasm a bit to think that your just posting them into oblivion. So thanks for the comments! :)

Part 8, European Invasion

1658-1704

It seemed that France was content, for now at least, with capturing just Calais. England seemed to accept that they had lost of the city, and neither side wanted to begin a drawn out war, much less contemplate a cross-channel invasion; peace was delcared in 1658. What followed was thirty years of peace for Europe, and the Spanish Empire.

It was a different story in North America though, as England and Saxony continued their war with the Indians. However neither side made any large pushes into the other's territory, and the 'war' ammounted to nothing more than constant skrimishing and small scale battles. The Dutch joined this conflict on the side of the Europeans in 1665, however this did not change the tide of the fighting.

During this period King Darth concentrated on developing both Spain itself and the Empire. New market squares, banks, theatres and other buildings were built in the colonies, and by the 1670s, many of the colonies were reaching levels of size and complexity equal to even the largest and oldest European cities. With it's pleasant (if volatile) climate, and all the trappings of the civilized Old World, the Carribean was becoming a paradise.

Economically, technologically, culturally, militarily and indeed, grammatically, it was a time of growth for Spain.

A 'Ye Olde Clocke' circa the renaissance

In 1685, France continued it's aggressive moves in Europe, and declared war on it's neighbour Saxony. The French used their superior size to quickley overun the Saxon cities. Despite assiatance from England, by 1695 Saxony had lost all of it's western European cities to France. In retaliation, the Saxons captured France's last two colonies in North America - France's only colonies now were tiny islands in the Spanish-dominated Carribean. However, it was evident to all that France was no longer interested in the New World - they wanted domination in the Old World...and King Darth could not allow this to happen!

In a conference held in Madrid, it was decided by King Darth and his advisors that Spain should attack France immediatley, as the bulk of the French army would surely still be in the former Saxon lands to the east. Spain would attack from the west - in 1696, war was delcared and Spain invaded France! Two main stacks attacked, one towards France's Atlantic coast, and one towards it's Mediterranean coast. The stacks were made up of modern infantry and artillery units, and some machine guns.

A newfangled weapon, the 'machine gun' was starting to appear on the battlefield

King Darth's plan went perfectly - the French cities on the Spain-France border had very small garrisons and were overwhelmed quickely and releatively easily - Bordeaux and Montpellier were both captured in 1697. It was not all good news though - the Spanish held city of Amsterdam in Holland came under siege from a massive French army in late 1698, and after an epic battle, the Spanish garrison fell and the city was lost. The battle proved costly for both sides, and yet in hindsight, expending so much effort on Amsterdam proved to be a blunder for the French, for it diverted troops away from the main Spanish thrust in the west. Taking adavantage of the fact that the bulk of France's army was busy elsewhere, in 1699, the Spanish pushed forward. By 1700, the cities of Orleans and Lyon in central France had fallen - Paris itself was now within striking distance for the Spanish troops.

The capture of Orleans put Paris within spitting distance

However, before any such attack could take place, the French army that had taken Amsterdam reached Orleans, and a descisive battle began. Over the course of 1700-1702, many bloody battles were fought, however the Spaniards eventually won out, and in 1703, they looked towards their ultimate goal - Paris!

We shall eat their women and have our way with their cheese - or was it the other way around?

In the summer of 1703, Spanish troops in Orleans marched out to the north to attack Paris - after a massive artillery bombardment, it was captured in 1704! King Darth ordered that the city be razed to the ground, in the words of the great man himself "that'll show the cheese eaters".

I was a bit disapointed to find that the tech tree for this scen extends into almost WW1 technology, which takes away alot of the flavour IMHO, especially as theres still around 180 turns to go, and I've now got iron-clads and machine guns.

I had a brief go at modding out the modern units but that turned up error messages on each attempt, so I decided to leave it as it was.

yes it is very dissapointing to see you in the early age of guns with machine guns and ironclads but other than that preety good stuff

This is alot of fun to read! I too would like to see more of this, and I would prfer World War I tech not be in the game as well.

Part 9 - The Fall of France

1704-1727

With Paris a spectatular ruin and France's armed forces shattered, the war with the French was all but decided, and victory for Spain was only a matter of time. However the fight for Paris had taken it's toll on the Spanish troops also, and the push into France did not continue until 1708, after fresh soldiers had been brought up from Spain.

The French King, Loius XIV, escaped from Paris shortly before it was captured

When the push did resume, their was little resistance from France, at least in the open. The French commanders, severely limited in their available manpower and equipment, pulled all their troops back into city garrisons, where they would simply hold out for as long as they could. The plan was to turn every city into a fortress, however in the event the garrisons did not put up much of a fight. Only at Nantes, on the Atlantic coast, were the French able to muster a respectable number of troops, however, even here, the Spanish were able to overun the city in less than a week.

The French cities were heavily bombarded by artillery before they were attacked

The Spanish army proceeded to pick off each of the 'fortresses' one by one. Calais was captured in 1709. Nantes in 1713. Reims in 1715. By 1725 Amsterdam, where the French had won a brutal battle earlier in the war, was the only French holding left in Europe, and it was captured by the Spanish in 1726. In comparison to the earlier battle, the second battle for Amsterdam was tiny - however, it signalled the end of the war, and the end of France in Europe.

A Spanish Europe

The city of Calais, which had belonged to the English until the French took it in 1655, was gifted by Spain back to England in 1727. As for France, it now consisted of two smallish Carribean islands. King Loius once again managed to evade capture, and escaped to the Carribean, where it is believed he lived happily for the rest of his life drinking pine-apple juice and cavorting with slave girls - in fact it is said that he often wondered 'Why didn't I pick a fight with Spain sooner?'.

great update keep going except kill the french in the carribians and it looks like they own a city in mexico by the way what is that blue force to the north of britain? i forget what they are called

Thankee both :)

sirtommy: The French don't own any bits of Mexico, the two French-coloured blobs on the map are both islands. I might attack them...the blue is a bit of a blemish on my nice peachy Carribean. :D

Our spies indicate that the blue force to the north of Britain is 'the ocean'. We are researching possible methods of removing it.

No, indeed it is actually Scotland in the north of Britain, to the north of England, and seemingly there was no Act of Union in this timeline. :)

try to take africa next that way youll own all the southern stuff :D

by the way i did no who it was but i only had forgotton the name of it
COMON UPDATE NOW

Part 10 - Peace and Plotting

1727-1765

With France deposed from it's position as a world power, in 1727 Spain was the dominant power not just in the Caribbean, but in Europe too! King Darth could sit back in his throne, and consider his next move; the world was his oyster. Did he turn his empire-building ambitions towards North America? Britain? North Africa? Or did he pause for breath after the fight with France, and consolidate his new gains?

Following the fall of France, Spain was Europe's supreme power.

King Darth decided to consolidate his gains in France, and chose not to persue further conquest. For now, at least. The next thirty years were ones of peace, and much of war-torn France was repaired and refreshed. Buildings which had been destroyed in the fighting were rebuilt, and new, even greater, building were built too. In particular, the Spainish conquerers concentrated on constructing places of entertainment, to pacify the French citizens who had seen their country fall from being one of Europe's great powers, and bore great resentment towards the Spaniards.

In North America, the Saxons and the English doubled their efforts against the Native Indians. The Indians, who had stood for many years against the colonizing Europeans, were finally starting to lose ground. What had began as a half-hearted push by the Europeans became a concerted campaign of conquest, as the Europeans finally made their supposedly superior weaponry count on the battlefield. The last Indian city was captured by Saxon troops in 1740, ending once and for all the pesky 'native problem' and clearing the way for increased expansion into North America. This was bad news for Spain, as the Indians had long been a thorn in the sides of Spain's rivals; but there was still no dominant force in North America. The Dutch and the Saxons, who had both been kicked out of Europe by Spain and France, held the largest areas, and other large areas belonged to the English, but no-one dominated. And while this held true, North America was no threat to Spain.

There were many fragmented factions in North America

By the 1750s, most of France's shattered cities had been rebuilt, and the Spanish army had recovered from the war with France. King Darth once again started plotting to expand Spain's empire. This time he looked south towards the Muslim Ottoman Empire in North Africa, led by Sultan Suleyman. Many years ago, before King Darth came to power, the Muslim Moors had held large parts of Spain, and the Christian Spaniards had fought long and hard to throw them out. Now, King Darth believed, the time had come for Catholic Spain to take the fight onto their land, in North Africa.

Ottoman lands in (Western) North Africa

King Darth began plotting Spain's attack. He decided to land Spain's troops directly at Tunis, the most important Ottoman city in North West Africa. By 1765, the preparations were made and the Spanish were almost ready to launch their attack...

Sultan Suleyman of the Ottomans. Nice hat.

I will post another update tomorow, which will almost certainly be the last one, as there is only about 60 turns to go now. :)

Part 11, War with the Ottomans

1765-1792

In 1765, the largest Spanish army ever assembled landed in Ottoman territory in North Africa, just north of Tunis. It seemed that the Muslims were taken completely by surprise, as the Spaniards found the city only lightly defended. With a short battle, the city was taken easily!

Spanish troops prepare to attack Tunis

A second, smaller, Spanish army pushed west from Spanish-held Tangier, towards the Ottoman city of Fes, but met heavier resistance. Fes itself was captured (and razed) just as easily as Tangier had been afew days earlier, filling the Spanish troops with confidence. However shortly after Fes was razed, an Ottoman army appeared, and began a fierce counter-attack! Although the Spanish troops were better equiped than their Ottoman adversaries, the ensuing battles went against them. The Ottoman commanders used cunning tactics to eliminate their superior oppostion, and soon the Spanish army had been pushed close to destruction. A hectic retreat began, back towards Tangier, and only a fraction of the troops made it back.

A battle between Spanish and Ottoman forces, outside the ruins of Fes

The Ottomans advanced up to Tangier and attacked the city, however timely re-enforcements from Spain were enough to blunt the momentum of the Ottoman advance. The Ottomans pressed on, however eventually mounting casulties forced them to retreat back east, and Spain breathed a sigh of relief. That had been close!

The Ottoman front

The Ottomans were never again able to match the Spaniards in battle, either in numbers or in quality of equipment. The war dragged on, and by 1788 the Ottomans held only one city, Gabes, which lay to the east. A Spanish army arrived there in the winter of 1791 (with only 1 turn left to go!). The Spanish troops put all the lessons they had learnt down the centuries, as well as their artillery pieces and machine guns, to good use, and captured the city in record time!

The Spanish crusade was complete! King Darth immediatley ordered that Catholic missionaries be sent to North Africa, to convert the local peoples to Christianity.

And then, in 1792:

The Spanish won a time victory! (that should read King Darth!)

Victory! It became clear to all that Spain was the biggest, mightiest, richest, most learned, best smelling and best dressed nation in the entire world!

King Darth sat back in his throne, congratulating himself on a job well done. There was a knock at the door.
"What is it!" Answered King Darth
"A mister Bonaparte here to see you, my lord!"...

The End!

Top Bottom