America: 2xCD, Europe: DVD - Answer from Firaxis.

Mercade

the Counsellor
Hello,

To confirm the rumours and reading of tea leaves and box art, I posed the question to Kelley Gilmore, Marketing Manager of Firaxis and received the following answer:
Hi Mercade.

Thanks for your questions and sorry about the confusion. Civ IV will ship on 2 CD-ROMs to North American stores on October 25th and on a DVD to stores in Europe on November 4th. Here are the system requirements:

[ same as posted on the CivFanatics home page ]

Thanks for helping us spread the word!

Kelley Gilmore
Manager, Marketing and Media
Firaxis Games
Unfortunately this leaves out the rest of world, but it helps answer the question for most. Note he writes North America, which I would say includes Canada.

It so happens that on civilized.de they write that producer Barry Caudill confirmed the same information to them.

M.

Hmm, not that I think the rest of the world lacks in technology of U.S./canada, but it seems like it would make more sense to have it the other way around, CDs to Europe, DvD to N.A. (however it would make the most sense to just have CDs)

I personally prefer the DvD anyway.

Do we get anything extra on the DVD version seeing as DVD can store alot more then the amount of what 2 cds can. In games like Deus Ex 2 we europeans got highter quality sound samples in our dvd version.

NinjaCool said:
Do we get anything extra on the DVD version seeing as DVD can store alot more then the amount of what 2 cds can. In games like Deus Ex 2 we europeans got highter quality sound samples in our dvd version.

It is probably to account for the diffenent languages which require more space... makes perfect sense...

-SA

Feigro said:
Hmm, not that I think the rest of the world lacks in technology of U.S./canada, but it seems like it would make more sense to have it the other way around.

PC-Users in Europe generally have better equipped computers than those from North America. There was a survey about this topic recently. It's not about the available technology but users in Europe are somehow more willing to upgrade their computers.

Rince.

Thanks, Mercade. This confirms my decision to buy in Europe. It may mean a slight delay compared with ordering from the USA, but in the long run the DVD will be more convenient to have, and more useful if it comes with extra languages or other things.

Jonathan said:
Thanks, Mercade. This confirms my decision to buy in Europe. It may mean a slight delay compared with ordering from the USA, but in the long run the DVD will be more convenient to have, and more useful if it comes with extra languages or other things.
My pleasure, Jonathan. Do enjoy when you get the game!

Too bad, I had small hopes they would come to their senses and release a DVD in the states as well. I just preordered it from there so I'll have to cope with the two CDs instead. Not a big deal of course. But one disc is always easier to keep track of than two. Plus the install process is faster.

Britain isn't in Europe is it?

It doesnt surprise me that Europe will get a DVD version; they were ahead of the curve with music CDs and Movie DVDs (their market seemed to accept these new techologies with open arms, and stores flipped their inventories much faster than US and Canada)

Europeans are trendy. :D

2CDs? Does it mean I will need to insert both of them for copy protection check?

no its always only 1, usually the playdisk which needs to be in the cd drive when starting a game.

Awww was hoping it be on DVDs. Oh well, atleast its not like 5 cds like one game I own. I can deal with 2 cds.

Top Bottom