Annoying ads

@The_J
I now also get this really annoying "In-Your-Face-Advertisement-Pop-Ups"... (see screenshot in post above).
They pop-up directly in my face when visiting the forum ... and I cannot do anyting until I close it ...

I really do not mind add banners that much ... but even this has become a bit much now. (Especially the huge one in the bottom that overlay buttons.)
But these "In-Your-Face Pop-Ups" blocking usability until you close by click is the most extreme form of advertisement I have ever seen in a forum.

Seriously, this really ruins the user experience and motivation to come back here ...

Edit:
Strange, now this does not seem to happen anymore ...

Last edited:
uh , the anniversary of the Republic was celebrated twice by Boeing on these two days . Can't tell if ı should complain or whatever . But it is just a regular thing in the bottom and fortunately nothing of the intrusive sort as mentioned above .

But it is just a regular thing in the bottom
These bottom advertisement banner I have as well ... they are also annoying as they overlay buttons and links ... but ok, seen worse already.
But those in "In-Your-Face-Advertisement-Pop-Ups" were a different category ... but now they seem to be gone ... hopefully they will stay gone ... :)

Update:
Should not have said it ... it is back again ...
Until this stops, I will most likely avoid visiting this forum ... this is too extreme ... this is really serious spam ... as it blocks the complete screen.

I will stay on discord, where stuff like this does not happen ...

By the way:
I use Microsoft Edge as browser at the moment.
(Have not tried to use another browser and have no add blockers installed.)

Screenshot 2023-11-01 120339.png

I tried to write a fairly long PM to someone on CivFanatics, and the endless reel of ads was so extreme that there was a minimal 5 second delay between every keystroke and the relevant character appearing on-screen. Right now, it's about 1 second, so I guess I should count myself lucky.

I tried to write a fairly long PM to someone on CivFanatics, and the endless reel of ads was so extreme that there was a minimal 5 second delay between every keystroke and the relevant character appearing on-screen. Right now, it's about 1 second, so I guess I should count myself lucky.
I've noticed that sometimes the site is slower than molasses in a Vermont winter. And a lot of times it just doesn't load properly. I click on a link and it loads for like 1/3 a second and stops and doesn't do anything. Sometimes it loads like a minute later.
Worst of all is that every friggin' ad has it's close button in a different place.
Maybe i should just start another thread on random slowness.

The site loading slow is an ongoing issue that TF is working on.

AS for the ads, Using a different browser might help. Vivaldi is free and excellent with lots of features. You might try it to see if it makes a difference.It has a built in ad blocker:

Enable Ad Blocker and browse fast​

• Without ad blocker, online advertisements not only interrupt your browsing, they stop webpages from loading fast.
  • When your browser is busy downloading advertisements – banners, pop-ups, animations, autoplaying videos – your browsing slows down.
  • With ad block on, you browse faster because webpages load much more quickly.
  • Vivaldi’s pop up blocker stops advertisements as soon as you request a page. We rely on a list of URLs known to distribute ads and stop requests to those URLs before they are even sent. This way, you never download the ads. And you need less bandwidth, CPU, and memory because your browser with adblock isn’t processing more information – another reason you browse faster!

Hah I got one of the pop up ads jumping pages in this thread. There’s also been an ad docked to the bottom of the screen on mobile, that comes on every page. That one has been a lot.

... Ad Blocker ...
Actually you were right ... should have installed an ad blocker already years ago. :thumbsup:
(Did not have to change the broswer although that might also be worth a consideration.)

Set everything to hardcore "block all advertisement everywhere" and all the annoying banners and pop-ups are gone. :)
(Not just on this site, but also on all other sites I tend to visit ... really stupid of me to have always been too lazy as it is really simple.)

Last edited:
You should give Vivaldi a try too. It is better than Edge.

Suggesting people install software to block the very ads your team has implemented strikes me as quite an odd solution for a number of reasons.

At any rate, the ads have gotten increasingly bad on mobile. The last week, this site on mobile feels like one of those fly-by-night scam content farms in terms of the ads that it shows.

Over the last week I've started getting the ad popups again. Current version of Firefox, via Win10 PC. I use Vivaldi for other things (mostly Youtube, interesting battle going on there with ads), but my expectation is that as a Supporter of this site I shouldn't see ads no matter what browser I'm using.

At least the ad loaded

Attachments

• 2C901525-58D2-4F07-9201-E1F4102EAA73.png
    2C901525-58D2-4F07-9201-E1F4102EAA73.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
You did get them while logged in?

Yes, just got one after clicking on the SiteFeedback subforum, immediately prior to posting this.

Haven't had an issues with Ublock Origin on Firefox.

As a supporter using the Google Chrome browser, win10 and Kaspersky, I was and I am fortunately be spared by these annoying ads.

Top Bottom