Ask a Theologian III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you recommend any original materials (with good English translations, preferably something available in a relatively inexpensive paperback edition) by major Christian theologians that go into a lot of depth about asceticism (why its good, what it consists in, etc.)? One thing I found from a short search was this... how does it look to you? While it is a work of secondary scholarship, it apparently includes a lot of Athanasius's writings.

According to Revelation 20 after the first 1,000 years after Armageddon, we will all get a second chance.
20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
So if I do come back after I died, I would certainly know God exists and would resist with all my might the devil, when he tries to play tricks on us again as a test.
20:7-8 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
and therefore avoid the final fate
20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
The only benefit I see in believing in God before hand is you get to live with him for the first 1,000 years after Armageddon. So I am willing to take the risk that he does not exist, since we will all get this second chance. Is this a correct view and should the prophecy in Revelation be accepted what will happen in the "endtimes".

You sir, are my hero. :hatsoff:

You sir, are my hero. :hatsoff:
You're welcome, we can all get back on to enjoying our life, but still be good to each other, as it will give you are good moral foundation to resist the devil after the 1,000 years.

I think bible says only 144,000 actually go to heaven and the rest live on earth for 1,000 years and then finally the rest (us) arrive after the 1,000 years. (according to Revelation). I think that many Christians (the try-hard ones) are trying to be part of the 144,000 and others will simply be on earth like the rest of us will be after 1,000 years after Armageddon. NOTE: Armageddon still has to happen

You're welcome, we can all get back on to enjoying our life, but still be good to each other, as it will give you are good moral foundation to resist the devil after the 1,000 years.

I think bible says only 144,000 actually go to heaven and the rest live on earth for 1,000 years and then finally the rest (us) arrive after the 1,000 years. (according to Revelation). I think that many Christians (the try-hard ones) are trying to be part of the 144,000 and others will simply be on earth like the rest of us will be after 1,000 years after Armageddon. NOTE: Armageddon still has to happen

Have you been talking to Jehovah's Witnesses? While Revelation can be interpreted that way, most sects don't, because it's a rather forced interpretation. I can't imagine anybody coming away from Revelation with no agenda and coming to conclusions like yours.

Actually, I have studied under Anglicans (the longest), Jehovah's Witnesses, Presbyterians, Methodists, and Baptists (lastly), before giving it all up nearly 20 years ago and getting on with life. However, more latterly my wife is showing interest in attending Anglicans again.

As to interpretations, I posted this
... the Bible can be interpreted in different ways ...

Which "translation" is correct ? out of 137 versions. Then what about the many books removed or not included in Bible (Man determined what went in and did not and Man is fallible). I tell you, the "validity" of the Bible is called into question, when there are so many interpretations and compilations you can have.
Because the Bible was often given as evidence of God's existence and this is based on so many of Man's interpretations, it really seemed an untrustworthy source. I was then left to find an alternative source to prove He exists and so far He doesn't.

Some say "God is Love", now if that is so, then I could well believe it, as I know "Love" exists, because I see it in wife every day in how she lives, cares for me and others around her. Hence why I think she wants to go the church now as many Churches are full of "Love".

@kiwitt- The idea that the 144,000 means that is a cultic idea and not usually accepted. Amongst more mainline people, some think its saying 144,000 Jews will be saved during the Great Tribulation, others think its just symbolism.

I'll wait for Plotinus to comment on the other part of your idea though.

Seriously, my question is on the Catholic claim of the pope being a successor to Peter. Why is this, and what do they use to back up this claim?

The answer to that is pretty straightforward. Peter was the bishop of Rome, so the bishop of Rome is his successor. As you can see we've already tackled Peter and his relation to the papacy here and here.

The idea that (a) Peter enjoyed special privileges or abilities, and that (b) the current Pope inherits them, however, took a long time to develop. The idea that the Roman church was especially authoritative was older and can be found in Irenaeus and Tertullian, in the late second century; the reasoning there is that authentic doctrine is taught in churches with an apostolic foundation. Since Rome was associated with both Peter and Paul, the top apostles, it was clearly the most doctrinally secure church. One could say it's a small step from that to the view that the bishop of that church has special authority.

However, the predication of the bishop of Rome's authority on that of Peter directly really began with Cyprian of Carthage in the third century, who argued (apparently) that the words of Jesus to Peter in Matthew 16 (“You are Peter” etc.) applied to Peter's successors as well. However, there are variant versions of the relevant passage in Cyprian so it's not clear quite what he meant.

In the fourth century, Pope Damasus I was the first bishop of Rome to use the same argument. He was also the first to call himself “pontifex maximus” and the first to refer to Rome as “the apostolic see” (which he did frequently), and he went around in a splendid carriage, threw great feasts, and generally outdid the emperor when it came to magnificence. (He was not bad or corrupt though – he also restored many ancient sites in Rome, wrote a lot of poetry, and commissioned Jerome to translate the Bible into Latin.) It was one of Damasus' successors, Siricius, who was the first Roman bishop to use the title “Pope”.

In the fifth century, Pope Gelasius I made very strong claims for the supremacy of the bishop of Rome over both other bishops and temporal powers, repeatedly stressing that the pope had the power to overrule what other bishops decreed. He wrote a treatise on anathema in which he reserves the right of anathema to the bishop of Rome alone. In a letter to the emperor Anastasius II, he distinguished between the temporal power of princes and the spiritual power of bishops, stating that the latter was greater than the former. Gelasius’ letters on these issues would later be seen as the classic statement of papal supremacy. It is also noteworthy that a Roman synod of 495 is the first known to have hailed the pope as the “vicar of Christ”.
So really it started there, but obviously the understanding of the Pope's powers and rights continued to develop right through to the nineteenth century, when he finally became infallible (sometimes).

Interesting. What do you think caused the shift in his reputation?

As far as I can tell, his earlier reputation was mainly based on his role in the Great Awakening and his Puritan sermons; it's been mainly in the past few decades that his real greatness has been generally recognised. Perry Miller's epochal biography of Edwards, published in 1949, led to a surge of scholarly interest in him which continues to grow. As is usually the case, however, public perception lags well behind scholarship, which means we can expect non-experts to become aware that Edwards was more than a brimstone preacher in another forty years or so.

Also, on the subject of American-born theologians, what are your thoughts on Seraphim Rose?

I'm afraid I'd never heard of him before, but after Googling, my main thoughts are: great name, great beard. I suspect there may be a bit more to him than that but I'm not the person to say it.

I have 2 questions:

1 what version of the Bible best reflects the most "original" language for the Torah, ie best translation? I find some translations seem to water down the terminology in favor of more generalized meanings. Like Heaven became the sky rather than a place in the sky.

I read that a bible scholar in the 1920s figured out some words came from Shumer and got confused; for example, we're told Lot's wife was turned to a pillar of salt, but the Sumerian word for salt also meant vapor. Another, Eve came from Adam's "rib", but the word for rib also meant life force, or that which animates. So Eve was from a rib and she's the mother of all the living.

I don't know about these specifics, but the RSV or the NRSV is the usual translation used by scholars, so it's the one I prefer. But I really don't know anything about Hebrew or how it is best translated.

2 In Genesis we're told man would exist for 120 years before the Flood, and the Nefilim were on the Earth. Does that 120 represent our time or God's?

I don't know if there's any reason to think that the Pentateuch knows of such a distinction, but at any rate, I don't know of any reason to suppose that the lengths of time referred to in Genesis are not meant literally. As you say yourself, ancient Middle Eastern texts give absurdly long lifespans to legendary figures of the past.

I don't really believe in creation, I was just putting up a former viewpoint of mine. I have move far to the left in the last year, you should read some of my posts in the "ObamaCare Passes" thread.

I don't really see what that has to do with left- or right-wing politics. In fact the association of literalist or anti-scientific religious views with right-wing politics in the US is not only a rather parochial association (it is not mirrored elsewhere in the world) but it is a pretty recent one, going back only perhaps thirty or at most forty years. Remember that William Jennings Bryan attacked Darwinism so strongly because he thought it was an attack on basically left-wing ideals.

They weren't that far off, and the fact they even came close is impressive - a sequence does support the concept of evolution. Assuming of course the original terminology didn't get screwed up over time because later peoples couldn't understand the text with complete accuracy. They gave earth's history in a few lines and it wasn't a bad job by no means.

A sequence alone doesn't support evolution. In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, geologists and biologists agreed that there had been a sequence of life on earth, with species disappearing and new ones appearing, but they did not agree that this meant evolution had occurred; many held the alternative theory of "catastrophism" or successive creation. And indeed Genesis would appear to support this, at least partially, since it speaks of God creating the new species on each day, not of the new species developing out of the old ones. Of course, Genesis has no concept of extinction, and we do not hear of old species ceasing to exist, so on that score it diverges significantly from both evolution and catastrophism. So I think any attempt to suggest that the opening chapters of Genesis serve even as a potted summary of the (actual) history of life on earth, let along of the history of the earth in general, is not going to get very far.

Can you recommend any original materials (with good English translations, preferably something available in a relatively inexpensive paperback edition) by major Christian theologians that go into a lot of depth about asceticism (why its good, what it consists in, etc.)? One thing I found from a short search was this... how does it look to you? While it is a work of secondary scholarship, it apparently includes a lot of Athanasius's writings.

I haven't read that book but the one I would instinctively recommend is Brakke's Demons and the making of the monk, which is a great survey of early monasticism. The major work of Athanasius on the subject is his Life of Antony, which is available in a good translation in the Classics of western spirituality series from Paulist Press. Otherwise you should look for The lives of the desert fathers and The sayings of the desert fathers, which I think are available in various translations which should be pretty accessible and affordable. I'd also recommend the writings of Evagrius Ponticus; A.M. Casiday has a volume on him containing many passages.

According to Revelation 20 after the first 1,000 years after Armageddon, we will all get a second chance. So if I do come back after I died, I would certainly know God exists and would resist with all my might the devil, when he tries to play tricks on us again as a test. and therefore avoid the final fateThe only benefit I see in believing in God before hand is you get to live with him for the first 1,000 years after Armageddon. So I am willing to take the risk that he does not exist, since we will all get this second chance. Is this a correct view and should the prophecy in Revelation be accepted what will happen in the "endtimes".

I don’t really see how the passage you describe speaks of a “second chance”; it may be consistent with such a view but it’s not inconsistent with its denial. Matthew 25 suggests that people will be judged on the basis of how they have acted in life, rather than what they say they believe after the resurrection. As for whether the book of Revelation should “be accepted what will happen in the ‘endtimes’”, that is not a question that I can answer.

I posted this Because the Bible was often given as evidence of God's existence

Is it really, though? I don’t know if I’ve ever encountered anyone arguing that the Bible is evidence of God’s existence. In my experience, the kind of people who base everything on the Bible are the kind of people who think that God’s existence is just obvious and doesn’t need to be backed up by evidence – also not a very useful way of arguing, but I think marginally preferable to the notion that the Bible is evidence for God.

I want to read some good books to get an overview about the apocryphia of the New Testament and the gnostic gospels. Can you recommend some for me, Plotinus?

Thanks...

The Hebrew word generally translated "rib" is "teslah," which can have a lot of meanings. I don't think "life force" is among them though. Possible meanings include: rib, side (rabbinical tradition says it was not just one bone but a large church of flesh from one side of Adam's chest, and some traditions go so far as to assert that Adam was originally a 2 headed, 8 limbed hermaphrodite that was split in two), curve, vault, wing, quadrant, image, or likeness.

One of the more interesting arguments I've read is that this is the term describes the structure of the DNA double helix, and that Eve was a clone of Adam without the Y chromosome.

Apparently the word "rib" is also the feminine form of the masculine word for "image" used in Genesis 1:26 when god said let us make Man in our image and after our likeness (the word likeness is a grammatically feminine synonym).

I generally prefer to read my Latin Vulgate instead of an English translation because translating from a synthetic language like Greek to an analytic language like English necessitates loosing grammatical nuance. This is better for reading the New Testament than the Old Testament though.

I don't have a hard copy so I only do so when at my computer, but for the Old testament I have come to prefer the Young's Literal Translation. This goes beyond most formal equivalence translations and is almost word for word. It does have some flaws though. I find it rather odd that this mid 19th century translation insists on using Elizabethan English, attempting to remain close to the style of the KJV as well as using the the same source texts. I also don't care for how it translates the tetragrammaton as JEHOVAH. It also sticks with the traditional definition of teslah as rib and does no have footnotes showing alternate meanings of various word. I do quite like how it is consistent with translations of Aion and Aionion though.

My pastor strongly recommends the English Standard Version, which I don think is a better translation than most. I am rather annoyed by how it uses the word Hell instead of maintaining a distinction between Hades and Gehenna though.

It goes to figure that Tesla invented the woman also.
Are you sure? It seems that if Tesla was involved, they'd at least have x-ray vision or be able to shoot lightening from their ears or something.

Are you sure? It seems that if Tesla was involved, they'd at least have x-ray vision or be able to shoot lightening from their ears or something.
He was dissapointed that his invention lacked these things, and therefor avoided it for the rest of his life.

When Enki's ribs hurt, Ninhursag gives birth to Ninti, which can be translated "Lady of the Rib" or "Lady of Life" since the Sumerian word ti means both. Chavah (Eve) was made from the rib of Adam ("Man") and her name also means "Lady of Life". Similarly, the eating of the fruit that causes the "Lady who gave birth" to curse Enki calls to mind the curse pronounced on Adam and Chava for eating the fruit of the Tree of Wisdom of Good and Evil. The gods giving birth painlessly gives a background for the pain of childbirth that is pronounced on woman-kind after Chavah eats the fruit.

http://www.lost-history.com/apocrypha3.html

Ninti (Lady Rib), is also a pun on Lady Life, a title of Ninhursag herself....] Ninti, is given the title of the mother of all living, and was a title given to the later Hurrian goddess Kheba. This is also the title given to Eve, the Hebrew Khavvah (חוה), the Aramaic Hawwah, who was made from the rib of Adam, in a strange reflection of the Sumerian myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enki

On the 120 years of man

Young's Literal Translation (I like this version too)

And Jehovah saith, 'My Spirit doth not strive in man -- to the age; in their erring they are flesh:' and his days have been an hundred and twenty years.

This translation appears slightly different from most of the others in that is says man's days have been 120 years, not shall be 120 years. And this verse appears tied in with the Flood to end man, so it sounds like a time frame before and up to the Flood.

I have 2 questions:

1 what version of the Bible best reflects the most "original" language for the Torah, ie best translation? I find some translations seem to water down the terminology in favor of more generalized meanings. Like Heaven became the sky rather than a place in the sky.

It's actually the other way around. "Heaven" became a place in the sky rather than the sky itself.

The biblical Hebrew word for "heaven" also means "sky." In other words, no distinction is made between "heaven" & "sky." They are the same thing, the same word, in biblical Hebrew. Some translations use "heaven," some use "sky." It doesn't really matter which is used as it meant the same thing.

I read that a bible scholar in the 1920s figured out some words came from Shumer and got confused; for example, we're told Lot's wife was turned to a pillar of salt, but the Sumerian word for salt also meant vapor.

I'm not sure how to answer this as I'm not sure what relevance Sumerian has to the Hebrew bible. The Hebrew text definitely says "salt," not "vapor."

Another, Eve came from Adam's "rib", but the word for rib also meant life force, or that which animates.

No, it did not.

I really don't know anything about Hebrew or how it is best translated.

Hope you don't mind me hopping in here.

Still a very interesting thread!:goodjob:

The Hebrew word generally translated "rib" is "teslah,"

No, it's not. The word is "tselah" spelled tsadik lamed ayin. I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs, but it makes a big difference in Hebrew.

...which can have a lot of meanings. I don't think "life force" is among them though. Possible meanings include: rib, side...

Correct.

(rabbinical tradition says it was not just one bone but a large church of flesh from one side of Adam's chest, and some traditions go so far as to assert that Adam was originally a 2 headed, 8 limbed hermaphrodite that was split in two),

The latter tradition you state is definitely not a Jewish one. The Hebrew word "Adam" means "man." Hardly a hermaphrodite.

curve, vault, wing, quadrant,

Those definitions do apply to tsadik lamed ayin, but only when the word is pronounced differently & only when used in an architectural context. For example, that word would be used for the flying buttresses on a cathedral or an addition to an existing building in Hebrew. Context is important when reading Hebrew. That word has a different meaning when discussing anatomy than it does when discussing architecture. The architectural definitions don't apply to the creation of Eve any more than the anatomical definitions apply to erecting a building.

image, or likeness.

Those are completely different words in Hebrew. If you have a source that gives those as definitions for tselah, it's worthless.

One of the more interesting arguments I've read is that this is the term describes the structure of the DNA double helix, and that Eve was a clone of Adam without the Y chromosome.

DNA & it's shape are very recent discoveries. I can't see how ancient Hebrews would have had any notion like that.

Apparently the word "rib" is also the feminine form of the masculine word for "image" used in Genesis 1:26 when god said let us make Man in our image and after our likeness (the word likeness is a grammatically feminine synonym).

Ugh. I'm not sure where to start here.

"Tselah" (rib/side) is a feminine form, but isn't related at all to the Hebrew word for "image" used in the account.

The word for "image" used there is masculine by default because it's in a plural form.

The word for "likeness" used there is also masculine by default because it's also in a plural form.

For example, the Hebrew text doesn't say "Our image," it says "image" in a plural form which is correctly translated into English as "Our image."

I don't have a hard copy so I only do so when at my computer, but for the Old testament I have come to prefer the Young's Literal Translation...It also sticks with the traditional definition of teslah as rib and does no have footnotes showing alternate meanings of various word.

In the case of that word as used in Genesis 1, no other translation is really needed.

On the 120 years of man

Young's Literal Translation (I like this version too)

And Jehovah saith, 'My Spirit doth not strive in man -- to the age; in their erring they are flesh:' and his days have been an hundred and twenty years.

This translation appears slightly different from most of the others in that is says man's days have been 120 years, not shall be 120 years. And this verse appears tied in with the Flood to end man, so it sounds like a time frame before and up to the Flood.

If you can give me chapter & verse, I'd like to take a look at the Hebrew & see if I can shed any more light.

Danielos said:
I want to read some good books to get an overview about the apocryphia of the New Testament and the gnostic gospels. Can you recommend some for me, Plotinus?

Here are a few to get you started:

Dunderberg, I. Beyond gnosticism: myth, lifestyle, and society in the school of Valentinus New York: Columbia University Press 2008
Ehrman, B. Lost Christianities: the battle for scripture and the faiths we never knew New York; Oxford: Oxford University Press 2003
Lapham, F. An introduction to the New Testament apocrypha London: T. & T. Clark 2003
Layton, B., ed. The gnostic scriptures: a new translation with annotations and introductions Garden City, NY: Doubleday 1995
Marjanen, A. and Luomanen, P., eds. A companion to second-century Christian “heretics” Leiden; Boston, MA: Brill 2005
Markschies, C. Gnosis: an introduction London: T. & T. Clark 2003
Pagels, E. The gnostic gospels London: Penguin 1990
Pearson, B. Ancient gnosticism: traditions and literature Minneapolis, MN: Fortress 2007
Roukema, R. Gnosis and faith in early Christianity: an introduction to gnosticism London: SCM 1999

...some traditions go so far as to assert that Adam was originally a 2 headed, 8 limbed hermaphrodite that was split in two...

Where did you get this? That sounds to me like the story told by Aristophanes in Plato's Symposium.

Hope you don't mind me hopping in here.

Never!

It goes to figure that Tesla invented the woman also.

And, hang on - the Adam has a mysterious link to Tesla too. What can it all mean?

That puts so many unhealthy images into my young mind. :mischief:

Where did you get this? That sounds to me like the story told by Aristophanes in Plato's Symposium.
I read it on a website, I forget which one. It said that this was a tradition among some Hellenized Jews which is only known today because of texts in which the more orthodox Jewish scholars clearly reject the notion. It was really a Greek rather than Jewish teaching, probably derived from Plato or perhaps an earlier tradition he used, but there were some Jews who adopted it and tried to make it fit with scripture. Other minority Jewish beliefs like reincarnation seem to have similar origins.

If God gives to one, does he take away from another?

(I am think along the lines of the Newton's law)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom