Ask a Theologian IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about that kind of argument about "perfect beings" and so on, is that my mind goes off in this direction: For a being to be perfect, it can never be added to in anyway, right (as that would make it more than perfect, which makes no sense)? Therefore it must have experienced everything, because otherwise it could be added to in some way - if only in the sense of having more knowledge. "Everything" includes it's own destruction. Therefore a being can only become perfect by ceasing to exist, and thus a perfect being cannot exist.

Now, I'm sure there's something wrong with my reasoning somewhere (I'm really bad at these philosophical type arguments, I just try to apply my personal brand of logic to them), but where?

What house of cards? What are you asking?

"Herodion" is a name; there's no evidence that it has anything to do with the Herodian dynasty. It might equally well come from the Greek herodes meaning a hero; or Herodion might have been named after the Herods. Either way, I don't see what that proves.

Sounds like you know darn well what I'm talking about; and if you don't think there's plenty of evidence that Paul is Herodian, you haven't explored the latest New Testament scholarship led by Robert Eisenman; you can start with his "James Brother of Jesus". There's plenty right there, but then he follows up with another thousand page linguistic tomb "The New Testament Code"(I've only been through half of the second book. Who are the original christians as indicated in the Pauline epistles? That's right, Herodians at Antioch. Watch John Romer's "Testament" videos; you'll see John at an archaeological dig in . . . not caesaria, not . . . I can't remember; but, anyways, he's at some archaeological site in modern day Israel(of course), and what does he find? Herodian lamps! Although he doesn't note anything special about finding Herodian lamps at . . . dam, I still can't remember the biblical cities name.

And oh yes, 'god' is whatever it needs to be to not be disproved; first the heavens(see the old testament for all kinds of 'from above' references), then infinity, and then some higher dimensions.

To avoid the endless contradictions of an infinity all knowing god, more and more properties are taken away . . . till he's this big everything . . . nothing; that's right once this conception of god is wittled away to avoid being able to actually see this guy, he's left with no properties at all; what equals zero properties? That's right, non-existence!

Did God talk himself out of existence or humans?

The thing about that kind of argument about "perfect beings" and so on, is that my mind goes off in this direction: For a being to be perfect, it can never be added to in anyway, right (as that would make it more than perfect, which makes no sense)?

No, I don't see that this should be the case. Additions aren't necessarily positive. You could give me ten minutes with the Mona Lisa and a set of poster paint, and I could certainly make some additions to the painting, but I doubt many people would consider them improvements.

Therefore it must have experienced everything, because otherwise it could be added to in some way - if only in the sense of having more knowledge. "Everything" includes it's own destruction. Therefore a being can only become perfect by ceasing to exist, and thus a perfect being cannot exist.

Here you're assuming that to experience something is to add to oneself. I don't really see that, either. There is a debate about whether omniscience - that is, knowing everything - must involve experiencing everything; this is really a debate about whether experience is a form of knowledge, or something else, and that's a debate that's been had for a long time in "proper" philosophy, not just philosophy of religion. But if God knows (through his omniscience) that death involves various experiences, it's questionable whether he'd learn anything new by actually experiencing it. It's certainly questionable whether he would become more perfect. That's how I see it, anyway.

Sounds like you know darn well what I'm talking about; and if you don't think there's plenty of evidence that Paul is Herodian, you haven't explored the latest New Testament scholarship led by Robert Eisenman; you can start with his "James Brother of Jesus". There's plenty right there, but then he follows up with another thousand page linguistic tomb "The New Testament Code"(I've only been through half of the second book.

Well, that's not "the latest New Testament scholarship", that's the views of one particular scholar, which are not accepted by most other scholars. That doesn't mean he's wrong but it certainly means we shouldn't assume he's right. I've looked at his own summaries of his views and the evidence he puts together seems to me mostly circumstantial. It involves, for example, thinking that the Dead Sea Scrolls were written by Ebionite Christians, which is certainly a minority view.

Who are the original christians as indicated in the Pauline epistles? That's right, Herodians at Antioch.

Well, hang on, no. The Pauline epistles don't mention Herodians at all. It's the book of Acts - 13:1 - that puts a "foster-brother of Herod the tetrarch" among the Christians at Antioch. Even if we take this at face-value (and one should take nothing in Acts at face-value), that means only that there was a single Herodian (or close associate) among the Christians in Antioch; it certainly doesn't mean they were all Herodians, any more than the fact that the same verse mentions a "Lucius of Cyrene" means they were all from Cyrene!

Watch John Romer's "Testament" videos; you'll see John at an archaeological dig in . . . not caesaria, not . . . I can't remember; but, anyways, he's at some archaeological site in modern day Israel(of course), and what does he find? Herodian lamps! Although he doesn't note anything special about finding Herodian lamps at . . . dam, I still can't remember the biblical cities name.

But Herodian lamps are just lamps from that period and place. They don't indicate anything to do with the Herodians, any more than Victorian vignettes indicate the presence of Queen Victoria.

But more importantly, I'm still interested to know what you meant when you said that "The house of cards just falls right there." Why? Suppose we found out that Paul really was a Herodian - what would that prove? What house of cards would fall as a result?

Plotinus,

I'm not going to reread Robert Eisenman's works right now; i'm reading other stuff and doing other stuff; but, Robert himself states that certain things seem circumstantial, but as you put all these pieces together, and it becomes overwhelming. Paul is constantly being saved(in acts) by Romans; why is he constantly ponying up with high level Roman officials?(once again, I don't feel like rereading Robert Eisenman's anything right now). Robert Eisenman shows that Paul is the Saul in the Josephus works. He also shows that Paul is the wicked one in the dead sea scrolls, and much more besides.

The house of the cards that is the New Testament. I found some guy at "Next Big Future" who said he didn't like the idea that Christianity could be a conspiracy. How could it not be a conspiracy? It's clearly made up; and since it is made up, it is a conspiracy.

Don't you think that bombarding Plotinus with a risible conspiracy theory is unfair to ask of a bona fide theologian?

All the above reads more like the behaviour of a subviaductus goblinoid than anything else. If you haven't reread what you've psoted, you should. If you have, then you should rethink your life.

Moderator Action: Please don't accuse others of trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Plotinus,

I'm not going to reread Robert Eisenman's works right now; i'm reading other stuff and doing other stuff; but, Robert himself states that certain things seem circumstantial, but as you put all these pieces together, and it becomes overwhelming. Paul is constantly being saved(in acts) by Romans; why is he constantly ponying up with high level Roman officials?(once again, I don't feel like rereading Robert Eisenman's anything right now). Robert Eisenman shows that Paul is the Saul in the Josephus works. He also shows that Paul is the wicked one in the dead sea scrolls, and much more besides.

I don't believe for a moment that Eisenman can "show" any such thing. He may have a theory that this is the case, but no-one could "show" it. He's pointed out some similarities between Paul and the Saulus of Josephus, but that doesn't prove that they were the same person. How anyone could prove that Paul is referred to in the Dead Sea Scrolls, I can't imagine, other than (again) pointing out possible similarities between them.

Why is Paul being constantly saved by Romans? Because he was a Roman, of course. He came from Tarsus, which was the province of Cilicia and consequently anyone from the city had Roman citizenship.

Besides, as I said, if you're asking why Paul was constantly saved by Romans, that means you're assuming that he actually was; and that means assuming that Acts is telling the truth. But why assume that? The historical reliability of Acts is notoriously difficult to ascertain, not least because for so much of it, we have no other sources with which to compare it. Where the narrative of Acts overlaps with the little Paul himself tells us about his own life, they do not exactly agree with each other. Most historians work on the principle that where Paul disagrees with Acts about his own life, Paul is probably right and Acts is probably wrong; Acts was, after all, written perhaps thirty years after Paul's ministry, and written (moreover) by someone who didn't seem to know much about Paul's theology. Why assume that all the stuff he says happened did happen? If you're so dubious about Paul's testimony, why privilege Luke in such a way?

The house of the cards that is the New Testament. I found some guy at "Next Big Future" who said he didn't like the idea that Christianity could be a conspiracy. How could it not be a conspiracy? It's clearly made up; and since it is made up, it is a conspiracy.

I don't see how, if Paul was a Herodian, that makes the New Testament collapse. I find it pretty unlikely that Paul was Herodian, and I see no good evidence for it - all I see is various facts that are consistent with his being a Herodian, which isn't the same thing - but what if he was? So what? Why does it make Christianity a conspiracy?

You seem to be implying that if Paul was a Herodian then he wasn't sincere in his Christianity; I don't see how that follows. Besides, even if it did, Christianity wouldn't collapse. Contrary to what anti-Christian conspiracy theorists have often assumed, Paul didn't invent Christianity. In fact in his own day he was probably a relatively unimportant character (certainly less important than he thought he was). The New Testament contains quite a lot of wholly non-Pauline threads, including the Synoptic Gospels, the Johannine literature, the letter to the Hebrews, and so on, not to mention the letter of James, which is overtly anti-Pauline (at least in some way). Even if being a Herodian somehow discredited Paul, that wouldn't discredit Christianity.

Finally, if you assume that anything made up is a conspiracy, you're making a serious methodological error. It's perfectly possible for people to be sincerely mistaken. I agree with you that Christianity is false, but it doesn't follow from that that the people who made it up did so insincerely; that seems to me a wildly implausible idea and one that would require far better evidence than just "What they said wasn't true, so conspiracy!"

Real biblical scholars, the scholars willing to take a scientific view of the Bible know that the Pauline epistles and Acts comes before the Gospels.

Also, I recently found in a local community college library a book that is available nowhere else; not amazon, not any other library; it's called from Daniel to paul; it's dated to 1960 if I recall correctly. It has much the same view as Robert Eisenman; Robert Eisenman doesn't not refer or know about it. The college is called Grossmont college. Point is that this Herodian viewpoint has been independently arrived at.

Religion not a conspiracy? You must not have read 'The Golden Bough' either! In it, Frazier shows evidence that religion is a little bit of a socio-political generalization of a previous past about magic(a kind of pseudo-science). More? I take it you haven't bothered to read my "Gospel of Truth" yet! But, I'll pick out one quote,

"Diodorus of Sicily is interesting here because he’s b.c. time and notes that hell is made up to keep people inline(book 1.2.2 -”For if it be true that the myths which are related about Hades, in spite of the fact that their subject-matter is fictitious, contribute greatly to fostering piety and justice among men,”)." There's other quotes from others back then that indicate much the same idea for the use of religion. And I have some other quotes at the end from Eusebius as well.

I'm guessing that this is a rare example of the atheist No True Scotsman.

Here's some recent other stuff that might be of interest to you Plotinus,

"I recently got interested in reading "The Jesus Wars". I periodicaly check out amazon books to see what books are suggested by others. I had noticed this book before, but for various reasons, including just being tired of reading biblical stuff and wanting to read other stuff, well, I didn't buy it. Recently, I rechecked it out; read some reviews, and noticed something that picked my interest in it more than ever. If was remarked that Alexandria and Antioch were the two main centers of the Christian religion fighting around 400 A.D. to determine what Christianity really was.

I still haven't read the book(I'm still reading another book; althiough, I'm thinking I can go ahead and knock out "The Jesus Wars" quickly enough after reading another book which I should be able to read quickly enough), but something else about it made me rewatch John Romer's "Testament". The whole "how four patriarches, two kings" and so on fought for what christianity was to be. In the second to last episode, at the very beginning, John Romer is in Ravenna. There is a tomb, a Christian one of a female Roman ruler. I can't get what John says her name is - a Galla something. The major thing I noticed that got me kind of excited was the names of the Gospels in the artwork. It doesn't just say "Gospel of Mark". It doesn't say gospel at all, but that doesn't matter. It has the four gospels named. Mark is spelled Marcus. I thought, maybe that name spelled the way it is could lead to some historical person - the author of the Gospel of Mark. What Marcus guys do we have? By now, you know where I'm going. I checked out Marcus Aurelius's wiki.

I'll just mention a few curiosities I found in his wiki; He's a major stoic philosopher. Everyone wants to know why/where the Stoic philosophy could possibly have come from; well, maybe.

Another curiosity is that Justin Martyr seems to mention him in his famous First Apology. That's two pretty big pieces of evidence beyond his name which anyone would just laugh off. So, that's three interesting correpondences."

Some more of note just from the wiki, Mr Aurelius also is a bit of a Homer epics scholar as well. There was recent excitement from some author about correspondences between Homer's epics and the Gospel of Mark. I haven't read it, but considering Mr Aurelius is also a Homer epics scholar apparently, that's another piece of evidence for my recent idea.

There were about a dozen male praenomen to go around all Roman men. Next you'll be fingering Cicero too.

Could one assume that Christianity is a democratic religion, or a religion that was brought about by infighting and bribery? There are a lot of interesting conspiracy scenarios out there regarding early Christianity. None of them are going to bring down the Religion known as Christianity.

Much less those who do not regard Christianity as a religion.

Do you mean religion as a dogma, religion as an institution such as the curch hierarchy and associated entities, a mixture of the two, or something else entirely?

I have been told that Christianity is a religion. There are groups of Christians that seem to fit any and/or all of those things.

There's so many subdivisions that you can make that saying 'Christianity' is just too broad a term.

Real biblical scholars, the scholars willing to take a scientific view of the Bible know that the Pauline epistles and Acts comes before the Gospels.

No, Acts was written by the same author as the Gospel of Luke, so it does not predate the Gospels.

Paul's letters predate the Gospels (and Acts). But the authors of the Gospels had not read the letters of Paul, or if they had, they show no knowledge of them. The Gospels and Paul therefore represent independent sources for early Christianity. There are lots of theological differences between them.

Also, I recently found in a local community college library a book that is available nowhere else; not amazon, not any other library; it's called from Daniel to paul; it's dated to 1960 if I recall correctly. It has much the same view as Robert Eisenman; Robert Eisenman doesn't not refer or know about it. The college is called Grossmont college. Point is that this Herodian viewpoint has been independently arrived at.

Well, great, but that isn't evidence for its truth - any more than the independence of (say) Matthew and Paul is evidence for the truth of Christianity!

Religion not a conspiracy? You must not have read 'The Golden Bough' either! In it, Frazier shows evidence that religion is a little bit of a socio-political generalization of a previous past about magic(a kind of pseudo-science).

No, I haven't read The Golden Bough - there's too much contemporary scholarship to keep up with to spend time reading century-old stuff. However, if religion is a sort of pseudo-science, that doesn't make it a conspiracy. A conspiracy is a deliberate fabrication. Now there have been religions that were deliberate fabrications; the cult of Glycon comes to mind. But if you're going to say that all religions started this way - Buddhism, Daoism, Hinduism, Judaism, etc. - then that's conspiracy theory territory, because there can't possibly be any good evidence for such a vast sweeping claim. You haven't even given any evidence at all for this being the case with Christianity.

More? I take it you haven't bothered to read my "Gospel of Truth" yet!

I did skim through it, in fact. But I'm only going to deal with what's presented in this thread as I don't want to get swamped.

But, I'll pick out one quote,

"Diodorus of Sicily is interesting here because he’s b.c. time and notes that hell is made up to keep people inline(book 1.2.2 -”For if it be true that the myths which are related about Hades, in spite of the fact that their subject-matter is fictitious, contribute greatly to fostering piety and justice among men,”)." There's other quotes from others back then that indicate much the same idea for the use of religion. And I have some other quotes at the end from Eusebius as well.

Yes, certainly the idea that religious beliefs were invented as a cynical exercise is an ancient idea. But that doesn't make it true. Diodorus of Sicily, as far as I know, doesn't present any actual evidence to back this claim up. It's a bit like the famous argument of Euhemerus, that the gods were originally just normal people, and they got mythologised over the centuries until everyone forgot that they were human beings and thought that they were gods. This too is an attempt to give a naturalistic explanation for the origins of religion. But note two things about it: first, it's incompatible with the theory that religion began as a conspiracy; and second, Euhemerus gives no evidence for it. It's just an assertion. The same with Diodorus, and, I'm afraid, the same with you. Evidence that other people believe something is not evidence that that belief is true.

Here's some recent other stuff that might be of interest to you Plotinus,

"I recently got interested in reading "The Jesus Wars". I periodicaly check out amazon books to see what books are suggested by others. I had noticed this book before, but for various reasons, including just being tired of reading biblical stuff and wanting to read other stuff, well, I didn't buy it. Recently, I rechecked it out; read some reviews, and noticed something that picked my interest in it more than ever. If was remarked that Alexandria and Antioch were the two main centers of the Christian religion fighting around 400 A.D. to determine what Christianity really was.

And how is that relevant to what we're talking about? Whatever was going on in AD 400 has no bearing on what was going on in the first century. Moreover, it's a daft over-exaggeration to say that Alexandria and Antioch were "fighting to determine what Christianity really was"; the supposed tension between them at that time revolved around arguments about (a) what exegetical method to use in interpreting the Bible, whether allegorical or typological; and (b) how to relate the divine and the human parts of Christ to each other. However, I think that both of these controversies are way overblown; there was no practical difference between allegorical and typological exegesis, and everyone pretty much agreed on how Christ was constituted, they just disagreed over what to call the bits. Not only that, but the notion that these controversies were all about Alexandria on the one hand and Constantinople on the other (I don't know why you say "Antioch") was exploded decades ago. After all, the most "Alexandrian" theologian of them all was Gregory of Nyssa, and as far as I know he never went near the place.

I still haven't read the book(I'm still reading another book; althiough, I'm thinking I can go ahead and knock out "The Jesus Wars" quickly enough after reading another book which I should be able to read quickly enough), but something else about it made me rewatch John Romer's "Testament". The whole "how four patriarches, two kings" and so on fought for what christianity was to be. In the second to last episode, at the very beginning, John Romer is in Ravenna. There is a tomb, a Christian one of a female Roman ruler. I can't get what John says her name is - a Galla something. The major thing I noticed that got me kind of excited was the names of the Gospels in the artwork. It doesn't just say "Gospel of Mark". It doesn't say gospel at all, but that doesn't matter. It has the four gospels named. Mark is spelled Marcus. I thought, maybe that name spelled the way it is could lead to some historical person - the author of the Gospel of Mark. What Marcus guys do we have? By now, you know where I'm going. I checked out Marcus Aurelius's wiki.

I'll just mention a few curiosities I found in his wiki; He's a major stoic philosopher. Everyone wants to know why/where the Stoic philosophy could possibly have come from; well, maybe.

Another curiosity is that Justin Martyr seems to mention him in his famous First Apology. That's two pretty big pieces of evidence beyond his name which anyone would just laugh off. So, that's three interesting correpondences."

Some more of note just from the wiki, Mr Aurelius also is a bit of a Homer epics scholar as well. There was recent excitement from some author about correspondences between Homer's epics and the Gospel of Mark. I haven't read it, but considering Mr Aurelius is also a Homer epics scholar apparently, that's another piece of evidence for my recent idea.

I'm sorry, but this is out-and-out crazy, and I suspect that you know it really. Marcus Aurelius lived a century after the time when Mark's Gospel was written, and he persecuted Christians. There's not a trace of Stoic philosophy in Mark's Gospel. Justin Martyr mentions him because he's writing to him to plead for clemency on behalf of the Christians. And "Marcus" was a common name in antiquity. Mark's Gospel is so-called because Christians in the second century believed it had been written by John Mark, an early Christian who appears in Acts (chapters 12, 13, and 15).

I don't know what supposed correspondences there are between Homer and Mark, but given that pretty much anyone who spoke Greek in the first century would have read Homer, you don't need to find any "Homer expert" to explain these correspondences.

Could one assume that Christianity is a democratic religion, or a religion that was brought about by infighting and bribery? There are a lot of interesting conspiracy scenarios out there regarding early Christianity. None of them are going to bring down the Religion known as Christianity.

Much less those who do not regard Christianity as a religion.

There was certainly infighting in early Christianity, though I don't know of any evidence of bribery. But then there always is, in any movement, especially after the first or second generations have passed on and people have different ideas about what direction to take things. Just look at the Franciscan order, for example, or the Soviet revolution.

However, I'm struck by an interesting thing about this new wave of conspiracy theories. In the past, anti-Christian polemics typically focused on the differences between the different strands of early Christianity. This idea had its roots in early nineteenth-century German scholarship on the New Testament, such as that of Baur, which argued that there was a major split in the early church between those who wanted Christianity to be a branch of Judaism (the followers of James) and those who wanted it to go beyond Judaism (the followers of Paul). The theory was that this great division has been whitewashed in the New Testament as we have it, especially in Acts, which presents Paul and James as good friends; but the cracks are still there if you look hard enough. And so the traditional belief of Christians that the apostles faithfully preserved the message of Jesus and wrote it reliably in the New Testament is false; the New Testament is actually a hodgepodge of competing voices, a shouting tumult under which the real voice of Jesus is barely discernible.

But now the new conspiracy theorists are saying the exact opposite. Now we're being told that the New Testament speaks with a single voice, that of Paul. Paul, it turns out, invented the whole thing, and not only wrote the letters attributed to him but somehow inspired all of the other New Testament writings as well, even the ones that disagree with him.

The new conspiracy theory seems to me much less plausible than the old one. The old one was based on real scholarship and the real fact that there was, actually, quite a lot of disagreement between the early Christians, which we can see recorded in the New Testament - although probably not as much disagreement as the old conspiracy theorists thought. The new conspiracy theory is actually more like traditional Christianity, in that it thinks the whole New Testament is in basic agreement and speaks with a single voice. It feels very odd to read anti-Christian polemics that are insisting on these traditional Christian beliefs that modern scholars reject.

What do you think than of Alan Moore's idea that Glycon being made up makes it a perfectly valid religion?

I think it's rather marvellous. I haven't read anything he's said on this in depth, but I take it that the idea is that the point of the religion isn't the objective existence of the god, and that the fact that this is a god that we know isn't real just makes that clearer. It's not unlike Christian humanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom