Autumn 2017 Patch General Discussion

Ah, yea the map spawns seem pretty bizarre using ordinary settings. I did a few tests where I played the starts for a little, and recorded a video.

There's 4 starts all on King/Normal/Standard/Continents and purely uncut footage, so for reference the timestamps are 1:35 19:40 37:55 43:52 but notably 37:55 is the particularly ridiculous start for more than one reason. I actually froze for a second because it was so stupid. Not only did I spawn in the middle of a useless desert, Gorgo's right there too.

One thing I noticed was that it was rather hard to get a joint war going. Normally if the option is available, they'll go for it.

Also in game 4 I popped a builder from a hut. That seems a bit too strong. The first 2 games were sorta normal, so not much to say about them-- but then again game 2 was an isolated start so I really don't know.

I'll also include the saves, but some of them aren't turn 0 because apparently 4000 BC autosaves are not useful things.

There is a start location bug, here is a link to the hotfix and bug thread

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/fall-update-2017-bugs.623553/page-4#post-14898154

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/assignstartingplots-lua-from-v-1-0-0-167.623581/

Starts are mostly okay for me except on the east asia map. That is really tight (intentionally).

I'm finding it even more difficult than normal to play peacefully though. At least one nearby civ each game is super aggressive and coordinates a strong first attack. I might just be rusty though.

I only played a few games since the last patch, but are the restart button and game setting configuration saves new?

I think these were an advertised feature of the summer patch. I've never had my settings saved, however - if I click 'Create Game' it still defaults to Prince - Standard Map - Continents.

Noticed a bug with the pins again. Create a new pin and it replaces the one before it, icons and text.

I think these were an advertised feature of the summer patch. I've never had my settings saved, however - if I click 'Create Game' it still defaults to Prince - Standard Map - Continents.

The way they implemented the game setting saving was completely useless. Rather than just automatically recalling the last game settings you used they force you to save them and load them back again, wasting more clicks and time. Even with that hassle it turns out it's even more useless as it saves the game seeds as well so the first game you start is EXACTLY the same and you have to hit restart which only gives you a new map with the SAME enemy AIs you faced in the original game.

The sad thing is it's just quicker to set your settings manually each new game, completely defeating the purpose.

Yes, you should be able to change your default settings.
I still think the restart button was great and saves me so much time,
I mean you make your game choices once at the beginning of a 10-20 hour game. If you have an unfortunate start location restart really helps. If you decided you had a wrong setting sure you have to go back an mess around a bit but the restart was the real killer.

Emperor, quick speed, AI France culture wins in turn 182...
I was Vikings, I was ahead in tech but was late to realize France's lead in culture...

I had AI+ and Combat Stacking overhaul mod on with Fall patch

I mean you make your game choices once at the beginning of a 10-20 hour game. If you have an unfortunate start location restart really helps. If you decided you had a wrong setting sure you have to go back an mess around a bit but the restart was the real killer.

Wait, these games are supposed to take 10-20 hours? Mine usually take 8 max. I guess I'm just impatient.

Last edited:

Yes, restart is great, saving a ton of time when you get an unacceptable map generation. I just want it to remember Emperor, Quick, and Balanced Start, how hard is that?

I don't think I've ever played a game of Civ that took less than 100 hours. I can't even imagine taking 8 hours, that would be like playing a completely different game.
Exactly! Usually takes me about 100 hours for one game, if I finish... GOTM is a different thing though.

back to topic: The patch definitely is a vast improvement! But the alert-bug and the starting location bug is - again- unbelievable. :gripe:
I'm sure it's a minor issue for most of you but to me it's extremely annoying, that the pin-bug is still around as well. The new diplo screen is not an improvement at all and the trader screen is better but still worse than "better trade screen mod". You STILL cannot sort columns? You still can't filter stuff? C'mon...

The "no hotfix policy" is understandable but for everyone playing with the starting location bug and not checking out civfanatics (which is the vast majority I'd assume) this is ridiculous.

Played a handful of games since patch and haven't encountered the starting position thing yet. I always play island plates though, maybe that's why.

I'm with all the long gamers here. For my immersion I love playing marathon on huge maps :bounce: I'd say the average game I play lasts around 80 hours.

I play a game with mods
Qou's Combined,
Combat and Stacking Overhaul,
Smoother Diff.,
AI+

I had a war vs Cleo, I take one her bigger cities (size 9), and after the 10 turns of war I have military str. 280, she has 260.
I decide I propose for peace...

.. and she gives all her 3 cities she can (size 9 /this I capteured/, and 6 and 2) !

I am not sure it was OK at that point... but eh....

3 games, all continents, did not see any too close. Maybe it's a Pangea punishment for taking an easy approach?

Nope, always continents/fractal for me personally. The video I posted earlier this thread was all on continents. Though close locations did not explain the all desert capital I got for one of my games.

And yes I downloaded the hotfix after this. Thanks PYITE

I just played my first online game (was the only person to roll random for civ, got Arabia). Was bum-rushed by a longship armada, lost Cairo just after settling my second city. Then one player disconnected (probably bored, surrounded by city states as Sumeria, super easy game). I battled for about a 60 turns, turning back the Norwegian longship which kept reconquering Cairo with my archers, pushed back his land support of several warriors and a scout. Took over 50 turns to firmly regrab Cairo, then I had to force a peace deal. Soon after the Norway player "had to go", and left. Then, another player was kicked for general stacking (don't know what that is, but apparently we all were supposed to know it was illegal). Finally. I got my third city settled and founded Islam. Next, I found Nidaros (his terrain was pretty trash (maybe the bug?), can't blame him for feeling like an early war was his only hope, or for quitting when it fell apart). Then another disconnected. I built my forth settler as I pushed my defense force towards the now AI Norway, when the host decided that since it was only us, he was out. He thanked me for playing, and left.

I don't really know how to feel about this, but I will note it was interesting to be in that position. Normally if I lose my capital (especially so early) to an AI, I consider it a loss. This was the first time I kept going (in V or VI). Did you know your former capital doesn't become capital again when you liberate it? I do feel accomplished for surviving and ultimately defeating my first multiplayer invasion.

I just played my first online game (was the only person to roll random for civ, got Arabia). Was bum-rushed by a longship armada, lost Cairo just after settling my second city. Then one player disconnected (probably bored, surrounded by city states as Sumeria, super easy game). I battled for about a 60 turns, turning back the Norwegian longship which kept reconquering Cairo with my archers, pushed back his land support of several warriors and a scout. Took over 50 turns to firmly regrab Cairo, then I had to force a peace deal. Soon after the Norway player "had to go", and left. Then, another player was kicked for general stacking (don't know what that is, but apparently we all were supposed to know it was illegal). Finally. I got my third city settled and founded Islam. Next, I found Nidaros (his terrain was pretty trash (maybe the bug?), can't blame him for feeling like an early war was his only hope, or for quitting when it fell apart). Then another disconnected. I built my forth settler as I pushed my defense force towards the now AI Norway, when the host decided that since it was only us, he was out. He thanked me for playing, and left.

I don't really know how to feel about this, but I will note it was interesting to be in that position. Normally if I lose my capital (especially so early) to an AI, I consider it a loss. This was the first time I kept going (in V or VI). Did you know your former capital doesn't become capital again when you liberate it? I do feel accomplished for surviving and ultimately defeating my first multiplayer invasion.

Yeah, Great General stacking is strictly verboten in MP. It basically is when you have 2 or more Great Generals within close proximity of each other so that their effects are cumulative... units can almost become undefeatable in this circumstance.

Top Bottom