Best (and worst) animated leaders in Civ 5

Tyrus

Chieftain
Which of the leaders are the best animated in your opinion? Which were not? Bringing these leaders to life through animation one of the hallmarks of the Civ series, so I thought we should investigate how well the leaders are done in Civ 5.

Character animation, the background scene, the voice acting and even the music are all factors to take into consideration when evaluating how well the leader was represented. The "suitability" of the historical personage to represent his/her civilization is also up for debate, but mainly this is to look at the work the developers did on the leaders they chose.

For me, Harun al-Rashid makes the best overall showing. You immediately have the sensation of being received at a splendorous Arabian palace. You are also aware you are very much his guest in said palace. He's also the most regal of the leaders IMO. I'm not sure what does it, but he drips with power, suave, and kingly air. His voice actor is great, and his animation is more toned-down than the rest, which contributes to his stage presence. I find some other leaders are over-animated (oh god Gustavus Adolphus), but not Harun. Also, his face, mannerisms and speech could very much be straight out of the history books, unlike some leaders who appear a bit more modernized (like Boudicca or George Washington, who are a bit more like actors in a TV role). I don't think anything more can be said about his theme music, other than, "perfect." In short, this for me is the high mark of what the devs were shooting for with their new realistic leaders. Harun al-Rashid, proving that even though it's hot in the desert, you can still be cool.

Spoiler :

I don't really know much about Songhai or whatever I guess, but I thought that having the burning settlement background for that instead of the Huns was strange. Maybe the Huns didn't burn down places lol. But just thought I'd throw that out there. Theoretically it could also go for the Vikings too in a way. But yeah just wanted to throw that out there.

I don't think I've seen or really analyzed every ruler's screen yet, so I'll have to start looking more at them. IIRC I do like Harald Bluetooth's but I've only seen it like once and don't remember it as well.

I find the movement of Denmark's leader on his boat (cant recall his name) really awkward and creepy, and it just looks wrong somehow.

I find the movement of Denmark's leader on his boat (cant recall his name) really awkward and creepy, and it just looks wrong somehow.

That could be. I'll have to put Denmark in a game and check it out.

Spain is just... Pixelly. Really pixelly.

Oh god I know, but you can only judge the leaders on the highest possible definition.

Nebuchadnezzar and I believe Isabella are bugged if the setting is lower than Medium. in fact, I think Medium is bugged as well.

My love of the beautiful mountain landscape is unfortunately erased by the presence of the backstabbing, deceitful, pompous blowhard that is Alexander.

I've been playing too long now to have any reaction other than, "What do you want?"

But thinking back to when I first played, some had a memorable impact -

Dido - That moonlit lake, white marble, the roses, that flowing white dress. Oh for that lost civilisation , it's so romantic! Backstab ! Backstab! War!

China - She flutters her eyelashes at you and smiles sweetly. Immaculately courteous. The red drapes, the gongs. You can hear the wind chimes. You can smell the mountain air. You expect to be seated and fed in a matter of minutes

"I'll be honest, I intend to destroy you along with everybody else"

That could be. I'll have to put Denmark in a game and check it out.

I put Denmark in my newest game and met him (Harald). I didn't find him or his movement on his boat creepy, wrong, awkward, or anything. I felt like he was, well Viking lol. I thought the horns/wings on helmet idea has already been shown to be a romantic fallacy! Luckily in Harald's screen he doesn't have one on but it looks like there's a winged helmet on the ship, which for all I know may have been equivalent to a crown for a Viking ruler, and used for certain occasions/ceremonies/rituals--I'll have to research Harald Bluetooth and such more. :king:

I think maybe showing him with an Ulfbhert sword and/or sword and round shield would've been more accurate than a horned/winged helmet unless what I mentioned above is true, though I dunno if Harald actually had an Ulfbhert, and I don't know that he actually fought. I believe he did commission the building of some large forts though.

But yeah at least the way he was when I just met him (can't remember if I put random personalities so perhaps I caught him in a good personality lol), I liked him and thought it was a fairly good screen. I think the angle could perhaps show a bit more of the ship or a fjord in the background or something like that.

But yeah, thought you might like to know my 'results' from the 'test' lol.

My love of the beautiful mountain landscape is unfortunately erased by the presence of the backstabbing, deceitful, pompous blowhard that is Alexander.
Yes, but his horse makes up for it. Bucephalus is so emotionally expressive! He mirrors the opinions of Alexander, whatever they may be at the moment.

The worst animation? When I first encountered Casimir, as he scuttled out of the darkness, waving his hands like an angry crab, I had no idea who he was. I remember thinking: "My god.... is this the Goblin-King?

But I have to give the award to Dido, who seems to be practicing her dances moves every time I speak with her. The animation seems better suited for an entertainer than for a queen.

Yes, but his horse makes up for it. Bucephalus is so emotionally expressive! He mirrors the opinions of Alexander, whatever they may be at the moment.

The worst animation? When I first encountered Casimir, as he scuttled out of the darkness, waving his hands like an angry crab, I had no idea who he was. I remember thinking: "My god.... is this the Goblin-King?

But I have to give the award to Dido, who seems to be practicing her dances moves every time I speak with her. The animation seems better suited for an entertainer than for a queen.

Oh God I was wondering who the last AI was in my recent game, finally met them--I was like "what, what're you doing in a...dungeon?" Maybe Casimir was into some kinky stuff.....

Anyways...

Speaking of horses , anybody else think that Ghengis Khan's smiles warmly at you when the leader is friendly and changes to a baleful stare when denouncing? Makes me wonder who is really in charge.

Funny imaginary, Genghis being nothing but a parasite on top of the host horse...

I think William is very well done. His leaderscreen is very warm, his movement is good, expressive, somewhat dramatic (Fitting with the hammy voice actor), but those pants...
I'm also partial to Theodora's. She looks regal and relaxed, and with the magnificent Hagia Sophia in the background, it's just a beautiful picture to behold. The petals in her screen however sometimes appear a bit...buggy?

Actual Dev Conversation (maybe)

"Uh guys, we messed up"
"What do you mean?"
"Look at Alex"
"That's denouncement? He looks more like an angry frat boy"
"We're too close to release, How can we get the feeling of anger and hatred across"
"Well... there is the horse"

A couple that I do like are:

Denmark - Harold donning his helmet in time of war is a nice touch.
Celts - Boudicca stabbing her sword into the side of the cart or swishing it around is cute.
Aztecs - Monty's garb and flailing in front of the fire is dark and foreboding.
Maya - Pacal is overdramatic, but entertaining - especially if you catch him spying.
Sweden - if you're on good terms with Gus, his fireplace is warm and inviting.
Iriquois - the stream trickling by Hiawatha's feet is tranquil.

Another one I don't care for is:

Incas - I love Machu Picchu and all, but Patch-of-cooties is a creepy looking little dude.

A couple that I do like are:

Denmark - Harold donning his helmet in time of war is a nice touch.
Celts - Boudicca stabbing her sword into the side of the cart or swishing it around is cute.
Aztecs - Monty's garb and flailing in front of the fire is dark and foreboding.
Maya - Pacal is overdramatic, but entertaining - especially if you catch him spying.
Sweden - if you're on good terms with Gus, his fireplace is warm and inviting.
Iriquois - the stream trickling by Hiawatha's feet is tranquil.

Another one I don't care for is:

Incas - I love Machu Picchu and all, but Patch-of-cooties is a creepy looking little dude.

Harald also puts on his helmet while denouncing. I took over a neighboring civ last night and then basically the whole world has denounced me lol. And he had his helmet on. That damnable winged helmet!

How do you guys feel about Washington--I'm not sure if his talking represents what he was like--it seems perhaps too informal at times though I believe Washington allow people into the White House for meals and such (well not just anyone but still) so I suppose he could've been kinda informal like that. It would probably fit Thomas Jefferson pretty well though because he, for instance, answered the door of the White House himself, in a bathrobe!

How do you guys feel about Washington--I'm not sure if his talking represents what he was like--it seems perhaps too informal at times though I believe Washington allow people into the White House for meals and such (well not just anyone but still) so I suppose he could've been kinda informal like that. It would probably fit Thomas Jefferson pretty well though because he, for instance, answered the door of the White House himself, in a bathrobe!

Washington never occupied the White House. According to Wikipedia:

"Following his April 1789 inauguration, President George Washington occupied two executive mansions in New York City: the Samuel Osgood House at 3 Cherry Street (April 1789 – February 1790), and the Alexander Macomb House at 39–41 Broadway (February–August 1790)."

and

"The White House is the official residence and principal workplace of the President of the United States, located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C. It has been the residence of every U.S. president since John Adams in 1800."

I kinda like the way Casimir dresses. He pulls of the "Fairy Tale King" pretty good. Crown, red cape, sceptre. Only thing's missing is "MAH BOI!"

Sadly, the castle looks a bit dull and he appears to be 4 feet tall. His voice is rather funny. "mimimimi I am tiny king of tiny land. I shoot magic out of my sceptre!" And when he's angry he looks like an angry foxterrier ready to bite your ankles off. It's funny because he's terrifying if he survives Medieval.

Now, Songhai I've grown to like. I don't know how he does, it, but he manages to to make a burning city look SERENE. The sunset makes it all the more fascinating. In person he looks inviting and intrigued, and when angry he appears to be restraining a lot of rage.

EDIT: And since I'm incredibly childish, I wished the leaders were waaay more hammy. Such as Pedro II busting a move if you visit him during a Carnival, Darius's golden bulls shining brightly when visiting him during a Golden Age, Gandhi appearing in a nuclear puff of smoke when he announces he has nuclear weapons.

Casimir's screen is one of the VERY few that is actually set in medieval times. Most of Europe's leaders are Rennaisance + Later OR Classical era. There's a reason those times were called the dark ages.
Also, people were in general shorter as they are nowadays, so that might explain him appearing to be a bit short. This also seems to be a bit of a camera angle thing though.
But as far as accuracy goes, I think they nailed Casimir.
As for his outfit, compare:

Spoiler :

with
Spoiler :

Top Bottom