BTS Game : To Do

No chance we could actually get Thunderfall to host the server somewhere on the CFC family of machines (mtdg.civfanatics.net?)? Presumably he wouldn't actually administer it himself, rather GA (and Sullla?) would handle that part. Feasible?

Given how unstable pitboss and civstats uploader is i seriously doubt that...

Guys, please keep this thread related to Tasks that need to be completed for the game to start.

There is a separate thread for offering opinions on Duplicate leaders and civs.. Posting them here could mean they don't get counted where it matters ;)

Also a password: it is largely useless as all civs will be pw protected anyways so noone not in the game can log into the game anyways. However it does take 2-5 seconds of your life every time you log in. While this doesn't seem like much it really does add up if you login say once per day for 2 years...

There are three types of passwords for a pitboss game.

The game password opens up connection to the game. This is the one ozyar is saying is useless, and I agree. Some people use a multiple connections tool to choose a game and launch civ directly into that connection, and a game password gets in the way of that.

The admin password is used to launch the game into the pitboss engine. I've never tried to run a game without it. The admin can enter the game as any civ using the admin password. The host needs to have it too, since the pitboss server asks for it every time the server starts.

The individual civ passwords do the obvious...

Niklas said:
No chance we could actually get Thunderfall to host the server somewhere on the CFC family of machines (mtdg.civfanatics.net?)? Presumably he wouldn't actually administer it himself, rather GA (and Sullla?) would handle that part. Feasible?
I know oyzar thinks this isn't realistic... but is there any comment from GA or Sulla?
Sounds like this could be a potential solution to me... but I have very limited experience with PitBoss.

@DaveShack - thanks for the rules clarifications!
I agree - there's no need for a universal game password.
Just 1 for each individual Civ (and 1 for the admin) will be plenty. :thumbsup:

On hosting a Pitboss -- the only thing that is required if you have a normal :bts: installation is your game computer has a permanent internet connection.

My pitboss runs fine on a system with a P4 2.2Ghz and 1GB of RAM.

I am in favor of using a new mod that was created that limits intel on civilizations you have not met yet. Basically it does not allow you to see the score or graphs for unknown opponents...so you can't use those factors to help determine your path prematurely! The only issue is that it apparently does NOT work if there IS an admin password.

I am in favor of using a new mod that was created that limits intel on civilizations you have not met yet. Basically it does not allow you to see the score or graphs for unknown opponents...so you can't use those factors to help determine your path prematurely! The only issue is that it apparently does NOT work if there IS an admin password.

Part of the reason to play a diplo game is to be able to analyze every aspect of the game. Not having the graphs etc there would kinda remove this...

I don't think there's going to be much support here for playing with a mod. That means that every player will have to load the game in the mod before looking at the save...

Plus, the idea that the save isn't locked is a little disconcerting. :dunno:

Unless there's overwhelming support for switching this game to a mod, I'm not in favor of it.

Unless there's overwhelming support for switching this game to a mod, I'm not in favor of it.
I'm not in favour of using any kind of mod for this game.

I think the HOF mod is pretty cool. It fixes a lot of bugs and we won't play the game any differently. Plus, it gives you CivAlerts when something is about to happen, so it makes a pretty handy tool.

Hof mod is not possible to use for multiplayer though.

Map creation is finished! :D I will go about sending teams pictures of their starting positions shortly.

A few quick notes for the game host:

- The game is saved in Worldbuilder format. This was (by far) the easiest way for me to do the editing, and I have been told that PitBoss has no problems accepting Worldbuilder saves.

- The game is currently set to Noble difficulty. This was due to the fact that the AIs get various bonuses on higher difficulty levels, which we don't want. Game host, please make sure to set all five teams to Monarch difficulty when we start, as agreed upon here in the forums. :)

- Rather than fooling with team names, I've left the default ones. To rename all the important details, simply type Alt-D and fill in your team's preferences.

- Remember to come up with your team's password and send it to the game host! We'll need that before we can start too.

That should be everything, at least in theory. I'm really hoping I did this correctly, as I put a lot of time into crafting the map. You're going to enjoy this one, trust me. ;)

Top Bottom