Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

- Download and expand the zip file to produce a folder called BUGMod_4.x

- Create a folder called BUG Mod in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/

- Move the Info and UserSettings folders from BUGMod_4.x/ into the new ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Bug Mod/ folder

- Move the contents of BUGMod_4.1/PrivateMaps/ into ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/

- Move the contents of BUGMod_4.x/Assets/ into ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/, replacing the existing CustomAssets contents.

- If you have Blue Marble in CustomAssets already then do not delete/replace any existing Blue Marble files.

[DELETED fix for version 4.1]
That should do it.

Thanks, works great.

I just replace the whole CustomAssets folder with the BUG version because mine just seemed filled with empty folders---I haven't downloaded any BTS mods before this.

Now to just figure out what all that darn information is trying to tell me!

'Nother question.

In looking at the BUG Options, under the advisors tab, under Domestic Advisor, I see this:

Missing: Advisors__CustDomAdv
Missing: Advisors__CDASpaceTop
Missing: Advisors__CDASpaceSides
Missing: Advisors__CDAProdGroup

Normal? Operator error? Bug?

'Nother question.

In looking at the BUG Options, under the advisors tab, under Domestic Advisor, I see this:

Missing: Advisors__CustDomAdv
Missing: Advisors__CDASpaceTop
Missing: Advisors__CDASpaceSides
Missing: Advisors__CDAProdGroup

Normal? Operator error? Bug?

This is a bug in BUG, the author is aware of it and is apparently going to put out version 4.1.1 soon to fix it and a few other things.

How to get BUG, Varietas Delectat and Blue Marble altogether:

1) Install both BUG and Blue Marble as Custom Assets (instructions for this earlier in this thread and in my VD thread)

2) Replace /Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/Python/BUG/bugpath.py with the version attached to this post. Note that this step should hopefully be skippable when BUG 4.1.1 comes out. Huge thanks to EmperorFool for this solution.

3) Launch the game, load Varietas Delectat, and have fun!

Attachments

• bugpath.py.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 211
- Move the contents of BUGMod_4.1/PublicMaps/ into ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/

Alan, my BUGMod_4.1 folder doesn't contain a folder called PublicMaps; but it does contain a folder called PrivateMaps (which is presently empty). Is this the folder whose contents should be moved into the PublicMaps folder in Custom Assets?

2) Replace /Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/Python/bugpath.py with the version attached to this post.

Not wanting to be nit-picky, but presumably that should be /Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/Python/BUG/bugpath.py? :)

Alan, my BUGMod_4.1 folder doesn't contain a folder called PublicMaps; but it does contain a folder called PrivateMaps (which is presently empty). Is this the folder whose contents should be moved into the PublicMaps folder in Custom Assets?

Yes. Sorry. EmperorFool has told me he changed the folder name in the release for reasons that escape me. Is yours empty because you moved files out of it, or because that's how it was when you downloaded it?

No, I didn't move any files out of it. Anyway, I put PrivateMaps alongside (ie same level as) PublicMaps in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword and I've just playtested BUG Mod + VD for 140 turns with no problems at all.

So it looks like we have a winner! (Wish I could say the same about England's cricketers...) :(

As they say: "Now my day is complete."

PrivateMaps should contain a set of eight Python (xxxx.py) map scripts. It does when I download it. You wouldn't notice that they are absent unless you want to play any of them. They are:

Full_of_Resources_3_00.py
Maze.py
Ring_World.py
Team_Battleground.py
Lows_Random_Maps_3_0.py
Planet_Generator_0_68.py
Smart_Map.py
Tectonics.py

I haven't tried them, so I've no idea if any are compatible with the Mac. I *do* know that Smart_Map.py is not.

Not wanting to be nit-picky, but presumably that should be /Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/Python/BUG/bugpath.py? :)

Whoops! Fixed, thanks.

And yeah, PrivateMaps should be renamed PublicMaps when doing a Custom Assets install. These maps are not needed by BUG, they are just some optional extra mapscripts. Only one I've tried so far is Tectonics which is quite nifty. Much faster than PerfectWorld2 and not too dissimilar results.

PrivateMaps should contain a set of eight Python (xxxx.py) map scripts. It does when I download it. You wouldn't notice that they are absent unless you want to play any of them. They are:

Full_of_Resources_3_00.py
Maze.py
Ring_World.py
Team_Battleground.py
Lows_Random_Maps_3_0.py
Planet_Generator_0_68.py
Smart_Map.py
Tectonics.py

I haven't tried them, so I've no idea if any are compatible with the Mac. I *do* know that Smart_Map.py is not.

The only ones which come up on the menu are Planet Generator and Tectonics. I've tested both, and they both seem to work OK (although PG has so many different options it would take ages to go through them all - I assume if one works, they all work).

I've just discovered that since getting BtS I've started eight games and haven't finished any of them!

Well, you did say that your Public and Private Maps directories are empty! if they are not in your maps folder, they won't show up.

When the maps are installed, select Single Player->Custom Game, and then look in the Map menu.

Well, you did say that your Public and Private Maps directories are empty! if they are not in your maps folder, they won't show up.

When the maps are installed, select Single Player->Custom Game, and then look in the Map menu.

No, the PrivateMaps directory contained all the maps that came with the mod. I've renamed it PublicMaps and deleted the original (empty) PublicMaps folder. So they should all show up. But they don't. I can live with it; there's already enough variety in the basic game.

This is great! I really missed having BUG. Cheers!

What about an intergrated "BUG"-"Blue Marble"-"Veriatas Delectat"-"Leaders of VD" ?

Should be not difficult to reunite them into one mod folder ;)

Should be not difficult to reunite them into one mod folder
So you have your next assignment :)

What about an intergrated "BUG"-"Blue Marble"-"Veriatas Delectat"-"Leaders of VD" ?

Should be not difficult to reunite them into one mod folder ;)

I had a quick look at Leaders of VD and while it is not difficult to get it going, there are a TON of non standard ascii characters in the text files, all of which need to be stripped and replaced if we want non-English language support to remain. This would be a long slow process, even with find and replace, I'm looking to see if I can't find or create some sort of macro or script to speed up the process before tackling it.

Do we have a link to the blue marble that is in a .zip form? I'm not running boot camp or windows on here and I've spent too much time trying to wrestle that .exe file open.

Top Bottom