Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

Your first port of call for matters relating to Mac mods has to be Flintlock's excellent Mac Mod Index Thread, stickied at the top of this forum. That includes a list of mods. That list includes the link to Blue Marble.

Simple, no?

So you have your next assignment :)

Sorry i have not the skills, i would preferate to tweaking values and effects in game, but for the moment i need to learn to be into Mac World...

If it was a .pdf which explain Mac Civ XML, Python and theirs effects, because i dont understand spoken english...

I found videos for creating a mod but not a big pdf for same purpose...

A good illustrated pdf should be very nice...

Or i will wait that a fure Civ Game style has an full multidomain editor like should exist... Because I'm from the big mass of people which well use the computeurs but not more... But i would like to interfere more activily with games by modifying them :goodjob:

Sorry i have not the skills, i would preferate to tweaking values and effects in game, but for the moment i need to learn to be into Mac World...

If it was a .pdf which explain Mac Civ XML, Python and theirs effects, because i dont understand spoken english...

I found videos for creating a mod but not a big pdf for same purpose...

A good illustrated pdf should be very nice...

Or i will wait that a fure Civ Game style has an full multidomain editor like should exist... Because I'm from the big mass of people which well use the computeurs but not more... But i would like to interfere more activily with games by modifying them :goodjob:

Mac XML is the same as Windows, except for some differences in Parsing, which is why there aren't any specific tutorials for Mac. I'll agree that the tutorials available aren't the best, but you can learn from them. A pdf with images would be a good idea, especially for those like you who aren't native speakers.

About an editor... One a few days ago I actually started putting together an interface for an XML editor, but I don't know how far I will get with it. Its a Cocoa/Objective-C project, which I planned on doing to teach myself the language in an interesting way.
I would be looking for some sort of collaboration on this, but I still have Tiger, so I can't use the newest version of XCode. I still don't know if I'll upgrade, maybe at Christmas so I don't have to pay for it. I was going to wait until this spring, when I get a laptop for graduation, but I decided to make a simple one now, and really make a good one when I have my own computer.

That said, I'll post an image of what I have so far so I can get some suggestions maybe on how to lay out the interface. Hopefully I can make this work, but if not I know I'll likely have something going that works by the summer.

Attachments

• CivMac.png
    CivMac.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 154
Mac XML is the same as Windows, except for some differences in Parsing, which is why there aren't any specific tutorials for Mac. I'll agree that the tutorials available aren't the best, but you can learn from them. A pdf with images would be a good idea, especially for those like you who aren't native speakers.

About an editor... One a few days ago I actually started putting together an interface for an XML editor, but I don't know how far I will get with it. Its a Cocoa/Objective-C project, which I planned on doing to teach myself the language in an interesting way.
I would be looking for some sort of collaboration on this, but I still have Tiger, so I can't use the newest version of XCode. I still don't know if I'll upgrade, maybe at Christmas so I don't have to pay for it. I was going to wait until this spring, when I get a laptop for graduation, but I decided to make a simple one now, and really make a good one when I have my own computer.

That said, I'll post an image of what I have so far so I can get some suggestions maybe on how to lay out the interface. Hopefully I can make this work, but if not I know I'll likely have something going that works by the summer.

Nice screenshot !

So I just downloaded the mod ,installed following alan's instructions on page three, but all I get now is the view of my empire, no city screen, interface w.e.

Edit: I can still use keyboard shortcuts, and when I press enter, the build queue comes up for finished builds

Yes, sorry, but the forum upload facility won't accept raw script files - not really surprising. So they either have to be zipped, or have an extra .txt file extension added. Since many people's browsers are set to auto-expand downloaded zip files, that's the option I choose.

Hi Alan,

First I want to say You are a God to me for all you do for us neophytes.

Second, I've followed your directions to the letter regarding the BUGMod:

- Download and expand the zip file to produce a folder called BUGMod_4.1
- Create a folder called BUG Mod in ~/Documents/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/
- Move the Info and UserSettings folders from BUGMod_4.1/ into the new ~/Documents/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Bug Mod/ folder
- Move the contents of BUGMod_4.1/PrivateMaps/ into ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/
- Move the contents of BUGMod_4.1/Assets/ into ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/, replacing the existing CustomAssets contents.
- If you have Blue Marble in CustomAssets already then do not delete/replace any existing Blue Marble files.
- Finally, thanks to OscarWildebeest's testing, replace ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/Python/BUG/GPUtil.py with the unzipped file attached to post #26 above.

When I load the BUGMod and start a game I get a few messages:
"BugInit - cannot find XML file for mod init" and
"No valid data directory containing UserSettings found"

Also I have the same experience as Starkow mentioned in thread #67, namely that I get a screen with the map, but none of the surrounding interface.

Any ideas on how to address this?

I also just tried playing BTS without loading the BUGMod and in the game there is a message that appears: "BugOptions - Cannot locate settings folder."

Do you know how I can address this?

Any help at all would be great.

Thanks,
Will

Those instructions you followed are for installing BUG into Custom Assets, meaning BUG will launch automatically when you launch BTS. You don't need to load BUG as a mod and doing so will likely cause that error and missing interface.

You can actually delete the BUG folder completely from your mods folder.

Alternatively, if you wanted BUG to load as a mod, Alan's instructions are not needed and you can install BUG as-is into your Mods folder.

thanks xyth. your advice orients me.

However, as I mentioned in the latter part of my post, I load the game without loading the MOD and, yes, the BugMod appears to be working except for the message:

"BugOptions - Cannot locate settings folder."

Do you know why this is?

Thanks,
Will

Hi, welcome to the forum :wavey:

The most likely reason for that error is if you have named the BUG Mod folder incorrectly or put it in the wrong place.

Yeah, well ... you can't beat personal experience. When I first checked the mod out in CustomAssets mode, I named the folder wrongly. So I had seen that error message myself :blush:

Hi, I just downloaded BUG today and it was working fine until I started using the dotmapping tool. Then it crashed, and when I started it back up the interface and everything was gone (like in Starkow's post). I downloaded, unzipped, and replaced the replacement file, but it still happens.
I am loading BUG as a mod from the "Advanced" screen and am running 3.19 with Mac OSX 10.4.11 (maybe that's the problem?)
Also, I have the log from when after Civ "unexpectedly quit" it gives you the option to report it to apple, but apparently it contains 33 images, so I can't post it :confused:
I just registered on these forums, so I don't know how to upload a save yet, but if that is key I can try to figure it out.
Thanks for any help! :)

Hi, welcome :wavey:

I can only guess that your settings have been corrupted in some way as a result of the crash.

The log that was created by the crash *should* just be text. Maybe you have something else saved that includes images? In any case, if I understand correctly, the crash occurred once, and it probably isn't directly related to BUG. I would hazard a guess that it may be due to an old graphics driver in Tiger, and if so it will occur randomly in future. I don't know whether there is a newer driver. If it happens again, you may need to contact Aspyr for advice.

Meanwhile, the mod is failing to run - hence the lack of interface. So we need to fix your BUG Mod. It has a folder called UserSettings, and that may be all that needs replacing, but it's probably easier simply to replace the entire BUG Mod folder.

Hmm...I tried replacing the folder, but it crashed again. Both times it has happened when I have tried to use the dotmapping, so maybe that's what causes it. Also, it occurred to me that the log may contain parts that could be interpeted as smilies, because I tried again and looked through and couldn't find any image tags. I'll try replacing the BUG folder again and seeing if I can play through without using the dotmapping. Also, thanks for the help :)

If it is crashing repeatedly, then it's certainly worth having a look at the crash log.

The crash log is rather long, and only the first 20 or so lines are likely to make any sense to anyone here ... if at all.

What Mac and graphics hardware are you running?

Here are the first few lines of the log:
Spoiler :
Code:
Date/Time:      2009-10-10 22:41:49.700 -0400
OS Version:     10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
Report Version: 4

Command: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword
Path:    /Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword.app/Contents/MacOS/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword
Parent:  WindowServer [281]

Version: 3.19 (92131)

PID:    322
Thread: 0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000048

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   com.aspyr.civ4bts              	0x00b2a36e CyEngine::addColoredPlotAlt(int, int, int, int, char const*, float) + 82
1   com.aspyr.civ4bts              	0x00538b71 object* boost::python::detail::invoke<int, void (CyEngine::*)(int, int, int, int, char const*, float), boost::python::arg_from_python<CyEngine&>, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>, boost::python::arg_from_python<char const*>, boost::python::arg_from_python<float> >(boost::python::detail::invoke_tag_<(bool)1, (bool)1>, int const&, void (CyEngine::*)(int, int, int, int, char const*, float)&, boost::python::arg_from_python<CyEngine&>&, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>&, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>&, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>&, boost::python::arg_from_python<int>&, boost::python::arg_from_python<char const*>&, boost::python::arg_from_python<float>&) + 195
2   com.aspyr.civ4bts              	0x0053a96c boost::python::detail::caller_arity<(unsigned)7>::impl<void (CyEngine::*)(int, int, int, int, char const*, float), boost::python::default_call_policies, boost::mpl::vector8<void, CyEngine&, int, int, int, int, char const*, float>

Also, I am using a MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB memory, GeForce 8600M GT graphics card...I imagine I'm leaving something important out.

Perhaps Tiger has an older, incompatible version of Python? Snow Leopard has 2.6 and even that isn't fully compatible with the latest Windows versions.

Top Bottom