Can't Save Changes to Civpedia.txt in Windows 7

Mithadan

Wandering Woodsman
I get an "Access Denied" message after I try to save my changes to the Civpedia.txt file.

I have unclicked "read only" in the properties for this file, and that doesn't help.

Any ideas? Modding is going to be tough if I can't change any files in my Civ3 directory!

I knew I should have stayed with XP... :mad:

I have windows 7, and I have no problem running Civ3, or modding it.
Are you sure you don't have a program using your civpedia? Like perhaps a civpedia editor tool?
I have not run across any problems either.
Are you using an administrator account? If not, there may be restrictions on modifying files under the Program Files directory.
That could definitely be the problem. try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games or your main game installation folder. R Click the folder and choose properties. When the box opens up choose the security tab find users and your name choose that then edit. You can then check to see if you have full control if not give yourself full control.

Are you using an administrator account? If not, there may be restrictions on modifying files under the Program Files directory.
That could definitely be the problem. try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games or your main game installation folder. R Click the folder and choose properties. When the box opens up choose the security tab find users and your name choose that then edit. You can then check to see if you have full control if not give yourself full control.
Thanks,I'll try that!
I have windows 7, and I have no problem running Civ3, or modding it.
Are you sure you don't have a program using your civpedia? Like perhaps a civpedia editor tool?
This could be the problem too, as I was running Civ3 simeultaneously with editing the Civpedia.txt file (I noticed a typo whilst playing). This hasn't been a problem in the past, but maybe it is now with W7.

Thanks,I'll try that!This could be the problem too, as I was running Civ3 simeultaneously with editing the Civpedia.txt file (I noticed a typo whilst playing). This hasn't been a problem in the past, but maybe it is now with W7.
That's possible. Since I've been using 7, I edited the civpedia while using my editor at the same time, I know it works, but my editor always freed the text after reading it.
Perhaps civ3 is behaving differently.

If I don't forget, I will try to do that this evening and tell you if it works.

Turns out it was the security access settings after all. Once I changed those, I was able to edit and save the Civpedia.txt file even while Civ3 was running.

So all good, and thanks for the help!

I understand the point of what Microsoft was trying to do with the features that bring up annoying pop-ups everytime you want to copy or paste a file, edit a file, etc... (to protect Windows Users from malicious attacks :)) but I've got to say, it was the first thing that got turned off immediately; it completely disrupts and destroys any type of smooth "workflow" that exists in Windows!

Something else I've noticed, but minor, thankfully:

since installing my copy of Conquests onto my new Windows 7 machine, the game doesn't seem to want to read my conquests.ini file. Meaning, I've got it set to "no movie" (or whatever the line is), but it still plays the dang movie. Any idea why?

I understand the point of what Microsoft was trying to do with the features that bring up annoying pop-ups everytime you want to copy or paste a file, edit a file, etc... (to protect Windows Users from malicious attacks :)) but I've got to say, it was the first thing that got turned off immediately; it completely disrupts and destroys any type of smooth "workflow" that exists in Windows!
Why don't the people at Mircosoft protect us from Windows, which is a threat by itself?
Something else I've noticed, but minor, thankfully:

since installing my copy of Conquests onto my new Windows 7 machine, the game doesn't seem to want to read my conquests.ini file. Meaning, I've got it set to "no movie" (or whatever the line is), but it still plays the dang movie. Any idea why?
a) What's this 'no movie' option?
b) Either that feature is broken, whatever it is, or it's reading from another file?

Gee, I hope it's not broken, because I can't imagine how the game would work if conquests.ini is broken!

There's a "no movie" setting!? :eek:

a) What's this 'no movie' option?
Type "PlayIntro=0" into the Conquests.ini file and it's supposed to turn off the intro movie.

I guess I could just delete the movie file...

I meant that that particular feature might be broken, like half of the .ini unit file.

Oh, I see. Well I think it used to work, anyway. Course I might have just deleted the movie on my old computer, can't remember anymore!

It's so strange about the unit INI files; it's as if they added all that stuff in there, then decided to not actually do any of it. I agree that some things like the DEAD= line may have been to let dead units have a dead graphic that stays in the game forever; but I can see why they would have gotten rid of that. (By Year 2050, the whole map would be spammed with dead unit graphics everywhere!)

Lord Malbeth said:
workflow... Windows... :lol:

Yes, I know; such a thing doesn't really exist in reality! ;)

Takhisis said:
Why don't the people at Mircosoft protect us from Windows, which is a threat by itself?

Then we would have to be protected from the MS product that protects us from Windows!

I renamed the "Movies" folder in the "Art" folder to "MoviesX," and now the intro movie doesn't play. Works for me!

Top Bottom