Civ 5 Design Challenge VI- Regional Uniques

Unless somebody else comes and votes.

I've actually changed my mind. Senshi's loopholing is just too beautiful. My vote now goes to Sneshi's Thule(which sounds like a euphemism).

Looks like Senshi is the winner! What challenge do you have for us?

Also, Arison, for next time: it generally isn't a good idea to change your vote, even if you do change your mind. It's impolite and people may have made decisions based on previous votes as well. Luckily, I really don't mind - in fact I kinda hated my own design (felt too clustered IMO). But you never know if someone will mind, and it could be upsetting to some people.

Alright, here's mine!

All designs for this round must be from Geopolitical Oceania and have a replacement for the Musketman.

I can think of at least four cool ones, so I'm interested to see what you guys come up with ;)

Alright, here's mine!

All designs for this round must be from Geopolitical Oceania and have a replacement for the Musketman.

I can think of at least four cool ones, so I'm interested to see what you guys come up with ;)

But you live in Oceania...

JK, I know basically nothing about that entire region's history so hopefully I can find something cool and make a decent design.

HAHA! Ned Kelly! I choose you!

The Kelly Gang
Ned Kelly

UA: Jerilderie Letter: Great Works of Writing grant a combat bonus to all units and grant +1 gold and +1 culture per trade route to the city.

UU: Bushranger: Unlike the Musketman it replaces, the Bushranger may be expended to move an animal resource from outside of your borders inside. Grants 10% more gold on capturing a city, and 20% if the city has a bank in it.

UI: Glenrowan Inn: Unlocked at metallurgy, the Glenrowan Inn must be built on grassland and grants a base combat bonus of 15% to units stationed on it. It gives an extra 5% for every source of Iron within three tiles and if a railroad is nearby.

It's super-effective!

An old design made from the globe spinning thing.

:c5war: The Sultanate of Sulu :c5war:
:c5capital: Jolo
Mashā'ikha

UA: The Datuship
+1 :c5faith: faith and +1 :c5culture: culture from sea resources. Upon generating a prophet or a missionary or :c5faith: purchasing a building, gain points towards a :c5greatperson: great admiral or general.

UU: Moro Pirate
Replaces Galleass. :c5war: Experience gained from pillaging enemy :trade: trade routes. Gain :c5culture: culture for earning experience. 25% :c5rangedstrength: attack against units built in cities on another continent than your capital.

UU: Lantaka Gunner
Replaces Musketman. Becomes a ranged unit that upgrades from crossbow as well as longswordsman. :c5rangedstrength: Ranged strength of 24, range of 2, upgrades to Gatling Gun. +25% :c5rangedstrength: attack against naval units.

Thank you Senshi for encouraging them to and learn something about the Maori.

Ngāpuhi

Leader: Hongi Hika

UA: Musket Wars: Receive a copy of any land unit a city you're trading with produces, even if it is unique or you lack the tech. Units upgrade for 20% less :c5gold: Gold, further reduced by 10% for every DOF (max 50% total).

UU: Taua Pū: Replaces Musketman. All your Longswordsmen and Pikemen instantly upgrade into Taua Pū upon researching Gunpowder. Reduces the :c5strength: Combat Strength of adjacent enemy units by 15% if they are from before the Renaissance era.

UB: Mission House: Replaces the Temple but doesn't require a Shrine. Upon being built, converts this city's population to the religion of the nearest friendly city following a religion, gaining :c5science: Science based on how many techs they have. +25% :trade: Trade range and +2 :c5gold: Gold for every incoming trade routes and +1 :c5gold: Gold for the sender.

Thank you Senshi for encouraging them to and learn something about the Maori.

Thanks! It's great to know that I got someone interested in the area! :D

Ngāpuhi was one of the four cool ones I thought of, as well ;)

An old design made from the globe spinning thing.

:c5war: The Sultanate of Sulu :c5war:
*snip*

Uh... Sulu doesn't fall inside Geopolitical Oceania, hence why I was sure to specify...

Damn it, every time I come up with an idea I check this thread and somebody did it already. I'll have to go more obscure...

Kingdom of Hawai'i (Kamehameha I)
UA: The Splintered Paddle - :c5citizen: Population loss from capturing coastal cities is reduced by 25%. Captured :c5greatperson: Great People may be used by Hawai'i, and killing an enemy naval unit with land units grants a small chance of converting it to your own.

UU: Kapu Waha'ula - Replaces Musketman. Takes no movement penalty from embarking/disembarking, and has a +50% :c5strength: combat bonus against enemy units on coastal hill tiles.

UB: Hale Wa'a - Replaces Harbor. In addition to the regular benefits of the Harbor, the Hale Wa'a grants 50% more gold from :c5trade: city connection if built on a different island than the capital and boosts production of all naval units by 10%.

Spoiler :
The UA is based on Kamehameha's revolutionary humanitarian policy of not harming women, children, or non-warrior men during battles. It is also based on how the Hawaiians captured several Europeans but let them live as advisors and strategists who assimilated into Hawaiian culture. Kamehameha also took ships and military equipment from explorers that were killed or assimilated.

The UU is inspired by warriors in the time of Kamehameha who used muskets and cannons to their advantage against the weaker technology of their enemies. In one of the most important battles in the wars for the unification of Hawaii, they drove their enemies off of a cliff to their death.

The UB is the Hawaiian name for the canoe house, used for storage of wa'as (canoes) used for trade, transport, fishing and conquest.

If I'm not allowed to do a Sulu design I doubt Senshi will let you do Hawai'i...

Editing in another design later. Design below.

Culturally it's Oceanic. While it's owned by the US, lots of other islands are owned by the UK/France. It also appears on most maps of Oceania. It doesn't technically belong to any continent, but if it fits any continent it's Oceania.

Hawaii is Geopolitically Oceanic, yeah. Sulu territory was in Indonesia and the Philippines, which is in Wider Geographic Oceania but not Geopolitical Oceania.

Pardon me, but what then is the difference/distinction between "geographic" and "geopolitical" Oceania? I would expect you'd mean here something along the lines of based on actual geographic features, such as tectonic or climatological distinctions, as opposed to the boundaries laid by the prevailing political thought on the matter. But by these definitions, what is and isn't considered Oceania, as there are certainly quite a few differing opinions here on such places as Hawai'i or even something like the Easter Islands. Either way I would say the only surefire areas anybody would define as in the region would be Australia/Tasmania, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and the several pacific island nations constituting "Micronesia". But I've never heard anybody refer to Hawai'i as Oceania before.
I guess what I'm asking for is a bit of clarification as to the challenge's boundaries of Geopolitical Oceania.

Pardon me, but what then is the difference/distinction between "geographic" and "geopolitical" Oceania? I would expect you'd mean here something along the lines of based on actual geographic features, such as tectonic or climatological distinctions, as opposed to the boundaries laid by the prevailing political thought on the matter. But by these definitions, what is and isn't considered Oceania, as there are certainly quite a few differing opinions here on such places as Hawai'i or even something like the Easter Islands. Either way I would say the only surefire areas anybody would define as in the region would be Australia/Tasmania, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and the several pacific island nations constituting "Micronesia". But I've never heard anybody refer to Hawai'i as Oceania before.
I guess what I'm asking for is a bit of clarification as to the challenge's boundaries of Geopolitical Oceania.

"Geopolitical Oceania [consists of] Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia."
- The first result on Google :/

Other descriptions of Oceania include Indonesia and the Philippines, whereas Geopolitical Oceania does not. Hawai'i is Polynesian, and hence part of Geopolitical Oceania.

:c5war: The Republic of New Ireland :c5war:
:c5capital: Castle Hill
Phillip Cunningham

UA: Vinegar Hill
A unit that gained at least one :c5war: promotion during a war and that survives to the end of the war becomes invisible to the enemy the war was against. Units gain +1 :c5moves: movement and +15% :c5strength: combat strength in enemy territory for each turn they begin on an enemy improvement (pillaged or otherwise) during the first 5 turns of a war.*

UU: Rebel
Replaces Musketman. If an enemy has discovered gunpowder, any melee unit that pillages one of this enemy's improvements upgrades to a Rebel. +15 :c5war: experience for pillaging. During peace, this unit provides +1 :c5production: production to mines and quarries it stands on for every promotion it has.

UI: Hill Camp
Can only be built by military units in enemy land. Any time a unit is fortified in enemy land, it contributes a turn to the improvement's construction. +50% :c5strength: Combat strength to any of your units starting their turn on one, and count as rough terrain for enemies. Units without :c5war: promotions that step on a Hill Camp gain :c5war: experience equal to the amount earned by units through combat on the Hill Fort in the past.

Senshi, maybe you should share some of those ideas of yours so more people would have inspiration to design a civ.

Senshi, maybe you should share some of those ideas of yours so more people would have inspiration to design a civ.

I know that colonial Australia has a lot of potential with this one. I hope that helps.

Top Bottom