Civ 5 Design Challenge VI- Regional Uniques

Well my guess is that people were meant to make designs based on the Maori Musket Wars, actually, I just felt like they'd be repetitive if everyone did them and Caesar got their first

Well my guess is that people were meant to make designs based on the Maori Musket Wars, actually, I just felt like they'd be repetitive if everyone did them and Caesar got their first

Actually, I know Senshi IRL and this was kind of meant to be more colonial Geopolitical Oceania, not just Maori musket wars. You have a few hundred years of possibilities in a region that isn't entirely boring, and there could easily be more than one Maori design that wouldn't feel repetitive.

I actually planned an Eureka Rebellion based Australia design with Bushrangers as unique first, but someone did it, then I planned a Maori Musket wars... but Uighur came first, then thought a bit about doing Tasmanian indigenous people, but I couldn't come up with a good design.

So is life...

The indigenous Tasmanians (Palawa) were one of the four cool ones I concocted, actually. Their unique Musketman would be the Leryna.

I actually planned an Eureka Rebellion based Australia design with Bushrangers as unique first, but someone did it, then I planned a Maori Musket wars... but Uighur came first, then thought a bit about doing Tasmanian indigenous people, but I couldn't come up with a good design.

So is life...

I feel compelled to tell you the Ned Kelly quote is 'such is life'.

Tu'i Tonga (Kauʻulufonua I)
Capital :c5capital:: Mua
Bias: Coast

UA: Inasi
Melee units trained in a city with an outgoing naval trade route start with the "Amphibious" promotion and have no sight penalty when embarked. Gain a free trade slot for every capital city owned.
UU: Kalia (musketman)
+1 :c5moves: movement points when embarked, and is 33% weaker (16 :c5strength:) on land and 25% stronger (30 :c5strength:) in the water. May attack naval units and other embarked units.
UB: Mat Weaver (mint)
Does not require any nearby resources, but must be built on the coast. +25% trade route length and internal trade routes to conquered cities yield :c5culture: culture and :c5gold: gold equal to their occupied unhappiness.

I dont really understand why does foreigners keep grouping us Indonesian up with the rest of the Pacific.. I guess its kinda makes sense if you only look at the eastern third-half of our archipelago, but even they are culturally distinct due to influences from the more asian-flavoured western-half.

Edit: I just remembered that the people that arrives in Madagascar were actually came from Kalimantan/Borneo, which I admit is a sign that indigenous people here arent that different over to our cousins in the Pacific, but still, most of us are exposed to asian cultures due to our location since pretty early on, and thus making us distinct

I'd say I identify my Filipino heritage more with "Pacific Islander" than "Asian", and as such I would consider us more Oceanic than Asian. To my knowledge of early human migrations, we came to the Philippines in the same wave of migration that the first Aborigines went to Australia.

I dont really understand why does foreigners keep grouping us Indonesian up with the rest of the Pacific.. I guess its kinda makes sense if you only look at the eastern third-half of our archipelago, but even they are culturally distinct due to influences from the more asian-flavoured western-half.

Edit: I just remembered that the people that arrives in Madagascar were actually came from Kalimantan/Borneo, which I admit is a sign that indigenous people here arent that different over to our cousins in the Pacific, but still, most of us are exposed to asian cultures due to our location since pretty early on, and thus making us distinct

Who is doing that...

I believe Kul was asserting that by posting by Sultanate of Sulu design I was lumping Indonesia in Oceania.

However I don't consider the Sultanate of Sulu to have been in Indonesia. I consider it to be Philippine. They spoke Filipino languages and their political centers were Filipino. While they did control parts of Borneo most of the political and cultural stuff was Filipino. And as I said, myself Filipino, I consider Filipino culture more Oceanic than Asian/Indonesian.

But whatever challenge host says about the region goes.

However I don't consider the Sultanate of Sulu to have been in Indonesia. I consider it to be Philippine. They spoke Filipino languages and their political centers were Filipino. While they did control parts of Borneo most of the political and cultural stuff was Filipino. And as I said, myself Filipino, I consider Filipino culture more Oceanic than Asian/Indonesian.

But whatever challenge host says about the region goes.

Damn right it is, I acknowlegde Sulu to be a philippine-based kingdom. ,but I think I just want to clear out the things I seldom see here and there from my country POV. I personally have no idea about the phillipine state of mind about this matter, so I'll gladly took your word for it. Maybe my post were more like"Just letting you guys know'"-kind of thing

And I totally understand where you're coming from, no hard feelings at all :)

Gundjitmarra
Partpoarenmin
:c5capital: Tae Rak

UA - The Fighting Gundjitmarra
City located on fresh water source get 15% Food bonus. Unit doesn't suffer penalty fighting in marsh, and it count as freshwater source. All unit have 10% combat bonus outside 2 tile radius from any city

UU - Fighter* (Musketman)
+10% strength in own's territory and city formerly belong to you. +1 movement

UI - Waterways
Buildable in flat tile bordering at least 2 freshwater source. 50% chance for creating marsh. +1 Food yield per bordered fresh water source. If bordering Lake, +1 Food to lake per Waterways

Spoiler :
*REALLY need better name
Sorry for being late

Tanimbar Islands (Chief Saumlaki (honestly, I couldn't find ANY Tanimbar names))
Capital: Saumlaki
UA: Sori-Luri augury: Upon the outbreak of :c5war: war, the Sori-Lury casts an augury, giving units a bonus based upon the difference in military size with the civilization you are at war with*. (The bonuses do NOT stack with multiple wars; it's calculated in regards to the civ with the biggest military, since they are the biggest threat)

UU: Tanimbar Warrior (replaces the musketman): 22 :c5strength: combat strength compared to 24. Gains the Jungle Warfare and Isle Inhabitant Promotions, which grant +15% :c5strength: combat strength in jungles and +15% :c5strength: combat strength on islands (landmasses that are smaller or equal to 10 tiles) respectively.
The combat bonuses stack and the Isle Inhabitant Promotion is not lost upon upgrade. (Tanimbar Warriors still existed when the West got to the islands, so I guess making it a Musketman replacements makes a little sense?)

UI: Trepang (a type of sea-cucumber) Harvest Area (unlocked at Compass): May only be built by fishing boats on Coastal tiles (tiles adjacent to land-tiles; not the specific coast-tile) and may not be built adjacent to another Trepang Harvest Area. Provides +1 :c5food: food and +1 :c5gold: gold.

Spoiler UA Bonuses :

Your military is bigger: +20% :c5strength: combat strength for all units
Your military is around the same strength: units gain XP 20% faster
Your military is smaller: all melee units ignore terrain cost and gain :c5moves: 1 extra movement point

Spoiler Thoughts :

"The sori-luri would read auguries from the internal organs of the chicken, particularly the liver, and from this reading would be able to predict not only success or failure in warfare, but also the precise number of warriors of each side who would be slain." ~tanimbar.org.uk

There was a pic of Tanimbar Warriors on wikipedia, so I took that as a UU. The tanimbar islands also weren't that big and were covered in jungles.

Economy: "Important products are copra, tortoiseshell, and trepang (an edible sea cucumber)." ~Wikipedia

I was out of ideas the other day. I'm still not entirely happy either but at least it's something.

P.s. Sorry for being late as well :c Forgive me senpai

Mobby's Kingdom of Hawai'i. I had to go back I haven't seen this thread for so long.

Top Bottom