Civilizations, Leaders (Traits, Fav. Civic, Fav. Religion)

Armenia already sounds awesome!
Did you get your files back?
You said something about getting your old comp checked on tuesday

Yeah, and it was terrible. So I am going to have to purchase a new computer and transfer my harddrive. It sucks.

Bump
So, about civilizations
What's the current plan?

Base BtS
Split HRE to Franks and maybe Austria
Split Native America to Iroquios, Sioux and maybe Apache
Split Vikings to Denmark, Sweden and maybe Norway
Split India to India (Hindi), Dravida and maybe Mughals

Add Vietnam, Polynesia, Israel (already included)
Add Poland, Hungary, Phoenicia, Armenia, Assyria, Nubia, Siam
Maybe add some of the Hittites, Tibet, Kongo, Khazars, Huns, Songhai, Morocco, Indonesia (most already appeared in the civ franchise)

About leaders:
For those new civs, we have at least 2 good-quality leaderheads for the following:

Franks: Clovis, Charlemange
Austria: Franz Jozef, Francis I, Metternich and maybe Maria Theresa
Iroquios: Hiawatha, Logan
Sioux: Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse
Apache: Cochise, Geronimo
Denmark: Canute (Viking), Ragnar Lodbrok (Viking) and Charles IV
Sweden: Gustav Adolph, Gustav Vasa and maybe Karl XII or Eric IX - we need a viking leader for Sweden too
Norway: Harald Hardrada (Viking), Haakon IV, Einar Gerhardsen

Israel: David, Solomon, Joshua, Ben-Gurion
Polynesia: Kamehameha, Salamasina
Vietnam: Trung Sisters, Ho Chi Minh

Poland: Casimir III, Jan Sobieski, Pilsudski, hopefully Mieszko soon (from Novator)
Hungary: Istvan, Matthias Corvinus, Kossuth, hopefully a new Arpad soon
Phoenicia: Hiram, the 2 other candidates being discussed in the other thread
Hittites: Mursilis, Suppiluliuma
Assyria: Ashurbanipal, Sennacherib
Nubia: Amanirenas, Taharqa
Siam: Mongkut, Rahkamhaeng
Songhai: Askia Toure, Sunni Ali Ber
Huns: Attila, Ruga
Tibet: Dalai Lama (generic), Songtsen Gampo
Kongo: Lukeni Iua Nimi, Nzinga a Nikuwu (Joao I), Mobutu Sese Seko

For sweden, the Viking leader should be Birger Jarl... Also, I suggest replacing Haakon IV with Sigurd Jorsalfare

That post was only about available LH art
We can call the Haakon LH as Sigurd Jorsalfar, doesn't matter to me

EDIT: Actually I agree that Sigurd is better to represent medieval Norway, as "his rule has been regarded by historians as a golden age for the medieval Kingdom of Norway"

EDIT2: Altough wiki says this about Haakon:
Under Haakon's rule, medieval Norway is considered to have reached its zenith or golden age. His reputation and formidable naval fleet allowed him to maintain friendships with both the Pope and the Holy Roman Emperor, despite their conflict. He was at different points offered the Imperial Crown by the Pope, the Irish High Kingship by a delegation of Irish kings, and the command of the French crusader fleet by the French king.
So maybe Haakon is better after all. Also, Sigurd is closer to Harald Hardrada on the timeline, so that's also a point for Haakon

EDIT3: Birger Jarl wasn't really a Viking leader IMO
I would go with Rurik, he would much better represent the Swedish Vikings, and all the Varangians

So I am adding 16 new civilizations? That's around 70 new flags, 70 new leaders, new music, hundreds of new units, order select sounds, UBs, UUs, gametext... :crazyeye:

I appreciate the ambition. But you think I should do this and finish Arpad, and fix the Inquisitors, and create new units for America and the Netherlands. This is a lot, the mod's been in the works for two years. This is partially why I wanted modules. I can do it, I don't mind it. And honestly it would make the mod better, but I don't know...

So I am adding 16 new civilizations? That's around 70 new flags, 70 new leaders, new music, hundreds of new units, order select sounds, UBs, UUs, gametext... :crazyeye:

I appreciate the ambition. But you think I should do this and finish Arpad, and fix the Inquisitors, and create new units for America and the Netherlands. This is a lot, the mod's been in the works for two years. This is partially why I wanted modules. I can do it, I don't mind it. And honestly it would make the mod better, but I don't know...

Not 16, there are a lot of maybes there ;)
Also, we are here to help
You should really consider putting up an svn repository of the mod

For example the Apache, Norway, Huns, Tibet and Kongo will be perfect as modular civs

Can you send me the latest version?
Will make an SVN repository out of it.

Also, here are a couple lines about using SVN:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=485431
This is mainly about accessing the SVN as a player/user though.
It's somewhat different for modders (when commiting some changes/updates), but we will talk about that.
Also access will be different here, at least initially. Only those few people will get access who you want

PS: Please register to sourceforge, and send me your user name
http://sourceforge.net/

Wouldn't Rurik be a better Kievian LH? I still believe Birger Jarl is the best early representation of Sweden, beign the last Jarl (a wery Viking title), and actually acomplishing stuff during his reign. Of course, he wasn't a king, but neither was Gajah Mada of Indonesia... :)

So for LH's, I suggest use Charle88's Eric IX as Sigurd of Norway, and his Haakon as Birger Jarl

Wouldn't Rurik be a better Kievian LH? I still believe Birger Jarl is the best early representation of Sweden, beign the last Jarl (a wery Viking title), and actually acomplishing stuff during his reign. Of course, he wasn't a king, but neither was Gajah Mada of Indonesia... :)

So for LH's, I suggest use Charle88's Eric IX as Sigurd of Norway, and his Haakon as Birger Jarl

You obviously know more about Norvegian rulers, and the tradition about them
But is Sigurd really better than Haakon IV? Do Norvegians todays think he was the more accomplished ruler?

About Rurik and the Varangians
The descendants of Rurik should definitely go to Novgorod and the Kievan Rus, but in my eyes he is still good enough to be put as a swedish viking leader
I would love to have some kind of early Viking or Varangian representation for Sweden

Well, most Norwegians don't know s*it about our history and don't even know who Haakon were... but most people recognise the name of Jorsalfare (mainly because of the name, really), and besides, while gathering info and getting to know more about the subject, I found that it seems to me like Haakonson's reign didn't really do alot... Of course, it was peaceful and stable and everything went well... but is that really how we choose our leaders? I mean, in that perspective, most other leaders in Civ wouldn't do, who mostly didn't really have wery peaceful reigns, and rather did a lot for the expansion of the coutnry or it's interests... Jorsalfare turned Norway from a nation on the outskirts, to a christian power to be reckoned with, a power that reached it's zenith during Haakonsons reign, but couldn't have been without Jorsalfare. That's my main point in this... Still, Haakonson is definitely a good choice though, but IMO not as good as Jorsalfare

Well, since I was unable to find a good leaderhead to represent Merkurios (the current one in the DB is greatly lacking) I decided to try to whip one up on my own. This is also good practice for me because when I started working on Arpad again I realized how rusty I was. Anyway, this is what I have so far...

...I think this is a better representation of how Makurian dress was at the time, and will represent the Christian-era of Nubia/Makuria. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I would also encourage anyone to get me some flags for Nubia as well. Right now I have a lion's head, I think I am going to use Anubis' head for their ancient and classical eras. I want a Makurian cross/symbol for the medieval and renaissance era, and then from industrial on I will use the lion's head that I have, which I think I got from History rewritten. I will probably also use the same colorscheme from that mod as well.

Attachments

• Merkurios.png
    Merkurios.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 278
  • MerkuriosBG.png
    MerkuriosBG.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 349
Oooh that looks great! Would love to use him in HR when he's done. As for the flag, something like what I've attached? It's a Nubian/Coptic cross that I was thinking of using before settling on the lion head. Wouldn't take me long to convert to a decal and button.

Attachments

• Nubian Cross.png
    Nubian Cross.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 223
Oooh that looks great! Would love to use him in HR when he's done. As for the flag, something like what I've attached? It's a Nubian/Coptic cross that I was thinking of using before settling on the lion head. Wouldn't take me long to convert to a decal and button.

I actually prefer your lion's head. In my mind it somehow encompasses the "essence" of Nubia, if that makes any sense. I don't want to focus too much on the Christian era, and I also don't want to make Nubia a simply ancient state either. Since they will now be a base-civ I want them to be well-rounded. I think this, combined with great graphics (both units and leaderheads) will be seamlessly added as a base-civilization that will seem like an expansion civ rather than a module (which is the intent of the mod itself after all). Honestly I couldn't be happier with the results I am getting here, I get to expand Africa's presence in my mod, represent a civilization I am very interested in, while doing them a great deal of justice. That Coptic cross is perfect for my aims, so I do thank you for that. This also gives me the impetus not only to finish Merkurios, but to get Nubia in the mod and get moving on to other objectives. :goodjob:

The only things I really need now are unique music for Merkurios (and Taharqa for that matter) and then a good personality for this guy... you got me TAdF?

EDIT: Actually, I don't remember what I did for their UB. I am using the Vaulted Granary, primarily because I have a really cool/new graphics for it, but also because it was the UB in the original module for the first Diplomacy mod. So suggestions there would be appreciated. Also if we can come to some conclusion for the UU. Should it be an archer or Longbowman. in the original module it was a Longbowman replacement, but the civ was completely focused on the ancient/pagan era. So I am kinda torn as to what I should do here. Some discussion is certainly in order.

I agree, Nubia will look superb!
I don't mind the Vaulted Granary as an UB for them

The only things I really need now are unique music for Merkurios (and Taharqa for that matter) and then a good personality for this guy... you got me TAdF?

I'll start work on Merkurios right now. Should have him tested and ready sometime tuesday. Did you need Taharqa too? I don't remember if I did any Kush leaders.

I suppose I could use Taharqa, I am sure somebody made one, but I don't know off-hand.

You planned to use Novator's Taharqa
Should I send it to you?

Top Bottom