CiVUP - CiV Unofficial Patch

@SgtCiv
The reason GP improvements connect strategic resources is those resources are sometimes discovered after the improvement is built, and the improvement cannot be moved. I agree forts are rather useless. I think we should be able to garrison units in them, for protection and shooting from safety. I have some plans for that on my long term todo list.

First, thank you for all the hard work! Really think I'll like the improvements you've made.

Just downloaded the mod this morning through the in-game mod function. I've got the GOTY edition I purchased a few weeks ago. That said, noticed two things immedietely upon entering the game as America... first, ancient ruins disappeared after my warrior discovered them and moved to them. 2'nd, I was unable to load games once inside the game playing (I could still load from the main menu). Not sure if the 2'nd is designed or not. Hope this helps!

Did you delete all prior versions of VEM from the Mods folder, and empty the cache and ModUserData folders, prior to loading? Not doing this usually explains freak bugs like your ruins disappearing.

Once you load properly, reloading through the Main Menu prevents additional freak bugs from occurring.

Well, I had never downloaded any previous versions of this mod before, so no, I didn't clear any folders. I have downloaded the IGE and Wonder of the Ancient World, but those are the only two other modpacks I've downloaded.

One last question, and I'm sorry if this is terribly obvious and I'm somehow missing it...I don't even have a "Mods" folder under c/mygames/civ5 that everyone seems to be referring to. Would this possibly be because I have the GOTY edition instead of vanilla?

The GOTY edition is still "vanilla," in that it doesn't include any mods (although it may include scenarios).

In my game, the Mods folder is listed right between "ModUserData" and "Modded Saves." Those in turn are between the "Maps" and "Patch" folders.

If you've downloaded and installed mods, then you should have a Mods folder (where they are automatically stored). Why don't you do a search for those files?

Re-reading your original message (and assuming you are new to Civ) the ruins are supposed to disappear when your unit enters them (at which time you are given a bonus). Is this what happened?

First, thank you for all the hard work! Really think I'll like the improvements you've made.

Just downloaded the mod this morning through the in-game mod function. I've got the GOTY edition I purchased a few weeks ago. That said, noticed two things immedietely upon entering the game as America... first, ancient ruins disappeared after my warrior discovered them and moved to them. 2'nd, I was unable to load games once inside the game playing (I could still load from the main menu). Not sure if the 2'nd is designed or not. Hope this helps!

Ruins are a one-use item once your unit moves into them: You get a benefit and the ruin disappears.

In VEM (and other mods) loading in the middle of the game is broken so Thal disabled it. Just exist back to the main menu to reload and it will work fine.

Ruins are a one-use item once your unit moves into them: You get a benefit and the ruin disappears.

I believe he means that the ruins disappeared when he moved hes unit next to them b4 he could actually take them.

I assume so as that happened to me as well.

Btw: Long time no see forum hehe

Does that bug exist? I always thought that another civ moved onto the tile from the fog when something like that happened? But it could very well be.

In my game, the Mods folder is listed right between "ModUserData" and "Modded Saves." Those in turn are between the "Maps" and "Patch" folders.

If you've downloaded and installed mods, then you should have a Mods folder (where they are automatically stored). Why don't you do a search for those files?

Re-reading your original message (and assuming you are new to Civ) the ruins are supposed to disappear when your unit enters them (at which time you are given a bonus). Is this what happened?

Thanks for the continued help. I promise you I'm not computer illiterate (although not a modder either), and I'm a working adult, so idiocy isn't my problem (I think).

Finally figured out where the folders were, although I can't explain how it happened. I installed the game under c:games/civ5 (manually created), but when I searched for the MODS folder, the computer found it under c:users/me/mydocuments/mygames/civ5. I have never seen when I manually create where I want to install the game where another separate folder seems to house a lot of the other important files. Weird.

As for the 2'nd part of it, I did not enter the ruins. I saw them one turn as my unit exhausted it's movement, then started to move towards them next turn. As I did so, the ruins vanished. At first I thought a CPU had just moved through it, but that was not the case either as I would have met the CPU as it entered my LOS (which I didn't), and the same thing happened with a 2'nd ruin. Strange though, it only happened with my American Warrior. When I moved a scout towards a ruin, it did not disappear and I was able to walk into it. It hasn't happened since that first two times, though, so maybe it was just a random fluke bug.

As MortalD noted, it happened to him as well. And as I replied in another new thread, it's happened to me, too. I had assumed that the AI moved in and out of view during his turn, but it could be a new bug.

I have had that "Ruin Pop" thing happen to me as well. Thal called it a Vanilla Bug in another post. Basically another Civ has already claimed it but it still shows on screen, and when you move onto it it just goes away with no effect.

Used to happen to me all the time. But for some reason it hasn't happened now in a very long time.

Yeah that's true... But it does seem funny that it hasn't happened in a long time. I assumed it was fixed. Maybe it is only a certain Civ that does it.

Great mods, and I'm really enjoying my first game with them. Thank you, Thallassicus :goodjob: In the hope that it possibly helps in some way, I have to point out a few, minor issues:

Playing as Rome, my Levy and Legion units have a tendency to continue jogging on-the-spot after their movement is used up. The sound of movement also occurs, but it diminishes if you scroll away from the jogging unit. I particularly notice this jogging on-the-spot after taking a city with these units, and just recently an opponent's Levy did this too.

Every few turns, I press "next turn" and nothing happens. I then press it a second time and the desired effect occurs. Just before coming here, I had to "end the turn" three times.

I don't know to what extent these are related to the newest update or the vanilla game, but I had emptied the cache just before starting the game with this mod and, not long ago, I tried emptying moduserdata too and loading up the mod and save game again. Same issues persist though.

PS. Forgot to mention: I've been playing Civ since the first--on 10 floppy disks, if I remember correctly--and have bought each version since. I've even updated PCs a few times just to play the latest. First time posting in a Civ forum though.

Playing as Rome, my Levy and Legion units have a tendency to continue jogging on-the-spot after their movement is used up. The sound of movement also occurs, but it diminishes if you scroll away from the jogging unit. I particularly notice this jogging on-the-spot after taking a city with these units, and just recently an opponent's Levy did this too.

I've had this issue for some time now. i will agree it's pretty annoying (i've sometimes just resorted to muting my system as a result). i have noticed it beyond just Rome and it seems to be related to the animation for that type of swordsman unit (which i believe the Levy utilizes as well, regardless of civ).

Every few turns, I press "next turn" and nothing happens. I then press it a second time and the desired effect occurs. Just before coming here, I had to "end the turn" three times.

this might be what happens to me sometimes: i have a worker with enemy in sight that has turns left to complete a project. even though i hit "next turn" (or whatever) when it's available, nothing happens. if i then cycle through my units, i will be taken directly to the civilian pending confirmation of orders. as soon as i move them out of the way or give them direction to complete task, the turn progresses immediately.

PS. i only use Civwillard, infoaddict, VEM, and some additional wonder mods (occassionally). also always up-to-date on version of CiV via steam

The Legion graphic has ALWAYS occasionally done this (including vanilla). I've gotten to the point where I just turn down the sound so it isn't so annoying.

Re Next Turn issue: If you have a "!" message among the message icons on the right, pressing next turn will remove one if it's an 'important' message (e.g., city-state quest, or recognizing your great personhood ;) ). I think you'll find that if you click (or right-click) each of those "!" messages, you will no longer have this issue.

Not ALL of the "!" messages inhibit the next turn.

Top Bottom