Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Ayutthaya makes no sense alongside Siam. Especially while Siam is still maintaining Naresuan's Elephants.

And FYI I have a Siamese Sukhothai/Ayutthaya/Siam split planned.

I was worried about that, but I guess Ramkhamhaeng was king of Sukhotai rather than Ayutthaya. You obviously know more about Thai history than me though. I'm glad someone's doing Ayutthaya though because I'm very interested in their history.

I'm not sure if any else has this problem (this thread moves to fast to check) but I have a bug with the Inuit and Sukitract's Events and Decisions mod.

Their unique 'cable-backed bow thing' decision is broken on my end. When I go to enact it, it takes the gold out of my treasury but doesn't use up any magistrates and remains un-enacted. I can just keep clicking on it until my treasury runs negative but nothing else ever happens.

Both mods are great otherwise :)

I mentioned that a few pages back, but I don't recall what came of it.

And FYI I have a Siamese Sukhothai/Ayutthaya/Siam split planned.

Apologies, sorry for stepping on your toes.

Anyway, Inuit 3.0 is due to be released soon!

Okay, updated the poll as per requested. Some of the descriptions were too long so I had to get rid of them, but here they are in full:

Afghanistan - The Graveyard of Empires is home to a legion of Great Writers and Trade happy unique improvements.
Anangu - Aboriginal Desert Wanderers, Natural Wonders and Dreamtime focused. No Religion
Anishinaabe - Three vastly different Peoples working together for a common goal. "Council/Capital" Centric.
Ashanti - Trade Routes with Militaristic cities boosts scientific advancements. City States heed your call in times of peril. Like the Dene, lots of Drumming in this civ.
Buganda - Lake bound, African Trade civ
Cajun - Acadian Immigrants settling in the deep south. Expect Mardi Gras and crazy southern culture.
Cuba - Viva la Revolution! Very Revolutionary Centric. A very flavourful and Musical civ.
Cree - The Iron Confederacy. The profitable middleman traders whose lands spanned a continent and ruled the NA Fur Trade. A very multicultural civ with awesome benefits to reflect this.
Dahomey - Female Warriors and multitudes of Slaves. Will you continue to trade slaves or succumb to the growing international and moral pressure not to?
Iceland - A good old fashioned Viking civs focusing on Feasting, Mead, Colonization, Exploration and.... Walruses?
Koori - Coastal Aboriginal Australians. Loves to sustainably burn down forests for the sake of food. Also Kangaroos and Boomerangs!
Nigeria - Vast populous African country. Probably centered around growth in arid landscapes.
Malaysia - Primarily naval oriented civ. Stationed ships on resources boost food production and keeps those barbarous pirates at a distance. Martial Arts and Dragon guns also included.
Patagonia - Argentinian natives, the Patagonians gain bonuses from being unified in their sparseness, diversity and decentralization.
Salish - Another First Nations civ, quite the amphibious kind too. Lead by Chief Seattle. Inventors of Potluck Dinners.
South Africa - The Rainbow Nation. Gains diplomatic bonuses from domestic trade routes, and touristic bonuses from city-state trade. Led by the much revered Madiba.
United Arab Emirates - “The best things in life are free” is not a mantra the Emirati seem to live by. Lotsa faith, lotsa tourism.
Wabanaki - A First Nation civs revolving around recreation and sports. The Wabanaki invented the precursor to hockey - so expect riots, cheering and a whole lot of fun.
Zapotecs - A spooky mesoamerican civ that is primarily Faith/Science oriented. Scary Battle Priests wielding severed heads can convert distraught and wounded enemies into barbarous savages.
Zimbabwe - A defensive civ that spans the ages. Including elements up to Rhodesia, Zimbabwe has more flavor than you can poke a stick at.

The UA for Dahomey better be "The Annual Head Business". And any chance the Patagonians might be split into their respective peoples instead of blobbed together?

Voting now!

Patagonia is something that is only going to be considered based on the reaction in the poll. I'm still not convinced that CL is even a proper outlet for it, or any convincing arguments as to why they should be included.

This poll will dictate which 2-3 civs we will see next, so vote wisely! Bonus points if you make the case as to why you'd like to see them.

I'd love to see the UAE, though I'd rather have her branded as a general 'Gulf States', including Bahrain and Qatar, as they have similar economies and claims to greatness, but with Sheikh Zayed as the leader of course.

Which Civs have relatively fleshed out ideas?

Afghanistan, Anangu, Anishinaabe, Cuba, Cree, Iceland/Vinland/Greenland, Koori, Malaysia and the Zapotecs.

I'd love to see the UAE, though I'd rather have her branded as a general 'Gulf States', including Bahrain and Qatar, as they have similar economies and claims to greatness, but with Sheikh Zayed as the leader of course.

Which Civs have relatively fleshed out ideas?

I originally thought about doing the UAE as showcased in my now defunct signature thread, as a gold-tourism hybrid. I had thought about doing the Gulf States as a whole but that feels artificial and ahistorical, which is why I didn't do it. After I decided not to blob, UAE was the clear choice. For the CL rendition, anything goes, of course!

TP, if you decide to go with the UAE I'd be more than willing to share any assets that I have, or to manage the XML of the mod as I already have a lot done.

Okay, updated the poll as per requested. Some of the descriptions were too long so I had to get rid of them, but here they are in full:

Afghanistan - The Graveyard of Empires is home to a legion of Great Writers and Trade happy unique improvements.
Anangu - Aboriginal Desert Wanderers, Natural Wonders and Dreamtime focused. No Religion
Anishinaabe - Three vastly different Peoples working together for a common goal. "Council/Capital" Centric.
Ashanti - Trade Routes with Militaristic cities boosts scientific advancements. City States heed your call in times of peril. Like the Dene, lots of Drumming in this civ.
Buganda - Lake bound, African Trade civ
Cajun - Acadian Immigrants settling in the deep south. Expect Mardi Gras and crazy southern culture.
Cuba - Viva la Revolution! Very Revolutionary Centric. A very flavourful and Musical civ.
Cree - The Iron Confederacy. The profitable middleman traders whose lands spanned a continent and ruled the NA Fur Trade. A very multicultural civ with awesome benefits to reflect this.
Dahomey - Female Warriors and multitudes of Slaves. Will you continue to trade slaves or succumb to the growing international and moral pressure not to?
Iceland - A good old fashioned Viking civs focusing on Feasting, Mead, Colonization, Exploration and.... Walruses?
Koori - Coastal Aboriginal Australians. Loves to sustainably burn down forests for the sake of food. Also Kangaroos and Boomerangs!
Nigeria - Vast populous African country. Probably centered around growth in arid landscapes.
Malaysia - Primarily naval oriented civ. Stationed ships on resources boost food production and keeps those barbarous pirates at a distance. Martial Arts and Dragon guns also included.
Patagonia - Argentinian natives, the Patagonians gain bonuses from being unified in their sparseness, diversity and decentralization.
Salish - Another First Nations civ, quite the amphibious kind too. Lead by Chief Seattle. Inventors of Potluck Dinners.
South Africa - The Rainbow Nation. Gains diplomatic bonuses from domestic trade routes, and touristic bonuses from city-state trade. Led by the much revered Madiba.
United Arab Emirates - “The best things in life are free” is not a mantra the Emirati seem to live by. Lotsa faith, lotsa tourism.
Wabanaki - A First Nation civs revolving around recreation and sports. The Wabanaki invented the precursor to hockey - so expect riots, cheering and a whole lot of fun.
Zapotecs - A spooky mesoamerican civ that is primarily Faith/Science oriented. Scary Battle Priests wielding severed heads can convert distraught and wounded enemies into barbarous savages.
Zimbabwe - A defensive civ that spans the ages. Including elements up to Rhodesia, Zimbabwe has more flavor than you can poke a stick at.

Sorry? Walruses? Did I read that right?

I voted Iceland despite concerns over tusked pinnipeds because, heck, I proposed it.
My reasons for proposing it are:
(1) it's my ancestry (well, the Viking explorers are)
(2) Vikings had one of my personal favorite cultures, with tenets of eat, drink, sing, raid in freaking awesome fast ships.
(3) I had a few ideas for this civ's UA/B/U/I.

Also, for Nigeria, I wouldn't really describe it as arid. Growth is a good idea. I never fleshed out my ideas but I was thinking it has to be about the varied ethnic groups. I also find the rapidly-establishing culture of current Nigeria is worth note, perhaps to be represented through Great People.

@TPangolin

Are the civ icons for Australia and Mexico changed or not? I don't get the new eagle and the cangaroo as they now appear in the OP, but the same old spiral and the old eagle, no matter if I directly download or subscribe.

Well, I had to vote for Patagonia because of course I had to, I suggested them. :D
Still I felt that if you were doing First Nations of Canada it'd only be fitting to do the same with Patagonian natives, Tehuelche being the prime candidate. Not that it matters much though, it doesn't seem the civ has gotten much good reception anyways.

I must second what was said that Nigeria's not really arid, it's a Subsaharian country, so the desert's not much there.

The upcoming civ list looks absolutely amazing!

• Iceland is awsome
  • It was settled by my people.
  • It was home to Leifur Eriksson
  • and Snorri Sturluson
  • We need more viking civs
  • Mead and feasts

And of course:

Walruses?

Walruses?

Walruses?

WALRUSES OR RIOT

Walrus Ivory was a big deal in the North Atlantic Iceland-Greenland-Vinland arc. See Lewis Chessmen.

I am sure the noble beasts fell after fighting fiercely.

Oh, and those sure are some nice chessmen.

But seriously though, even walrus ivory would be great.

I can already smell it, a mead hall that replaces circus and can also be build in cities with walrus.
The UU could be some sort of settler or maybe a naval unit which can spawn settlers once.
Walrus might be a luxury or maybe even a strategic resource if the team some how makes it valuable (Mead Hall is now a replacement for the factory ;) )

Naval unit that can settle on coastal tiles would be cool, with an appropriate cost, of course.

Top Bottom