Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

I got an interesting idea, what about a naval unit which can cross oceans and if you try to enter a coastal tile with it you will be given the to options:
1) Send Expedition (spawns a a level 2 Scout)
2) Send Pioneers (spawns a Settler, if settled in a coastal tile will receive bonuses [territory, food, buildings]/Spawns a city with aforementioned bonuses).
3) Do nothing (duh)

Of course I know nothing about coding and how this could probably have 50 problems with 2 mods.

It's a neat, engaging gameplay idea - some of the ones that are being tossed around. With naval unit that can settle, or spawn units or something, there has to be appropriate costs. Settlers are some of the very most expensive and labor-intensive units to produce in the early game, even more than many buildings. Having a no-cost option by building a much cheaper unit (or, for example, buying a unit with money or faith for much cheaper than a normal settler) would be a bit iffy, I think. If it were done, there would have to be some sort of penalty. Perhaps kill the unit that spawns it, but then why not just have a military-capable settler unit that can cross oceans? ('just', I say, making all the coders roll their eyes)

Also, a bit off topic, dare I ask how the Australia update and implementation of the 3D leaderscene is coming along? I know there were some problems some months ago.

Ayutthaya makes no sense alongside Siam. Especially while Siam is still maintaining Naresuan's Elephants.

And FYI I have a Siamese Sukhothai/Ayutthaya/Siam split planned.

I keep wondering when anybody is going to make a Lan Xang civ. We've now finally gotten a nice variety of Khmer Empires to choose from, along with some Burmese and Vietnamese/Champa civs, and now it appears some interesting things will be happening with Siam as well. But it seems there's still no love for Laos.

Not that I know enough about Lan Xang / Laos to really suggest any specifics for them. Except, you know, elephants.

A Million Elephants to be precise, but yeah, a Laos civ may be more fitting to More Civs though.

Are the civ icons for Australia and Mexico changed or not? I don't get the new eagle and the cangaroo as they now appear in the OP, but the same old spiral and the old eagle, no matter if I directly download or subscribe.

Right yeah, it's a bit misleading - but Australia hasn't been updated with the new cangaroo symbol.

In that same vein - we'll release one more civ before embarking on the amazing update quest that is Australia! I'm seriously pumped for the new update. Blah blah something that the history books will remember. We'll aim for a release by the end of the month but in the meantime, I have Uni work.

I'm also really glad we are excited for the Walruses. Not sure how they'll be implemented, but I assume it'd be in a similar matter to how the Inuit or Blackfoot function.

We are still struggling for a name however. We want something that is essentially representative of Erik being exiled to Greenland, enticing settlers, and having his relatives explore and settle Vinland. If anyone has any thoughts I'd be greatful.

Also, if anyone has Mexico, Cuba, Afghanistan or Australian decision ideas I'm all ears.

This could be a way to introduce the Mujahadeen. I agree with our decision way back when to not include them in the Civ design, but they might fit well as an event or decision.

Also, if anyone has Mexico, Cuba, Afghanistan or Australian decision ideas I'm all ears.
Which period of Mexico? Santa Anna #1, Santa Anna #2, Emporer Maximillian, the Republican Periods between Santa Anna's bouts at "governance", or the Republic after the ouster of Maximillian & Co. ?

Maybe the "Iceland" civ should be called Vinland? This way the name instantly implies that this civ is based around the Norse colonies and not modern Iceland / Greenlandic natives / some random vikings. This name however might be very specific and misleading.

We are still struggling for a name however. We want something that is essentially representative of Erik being exiled to Greenland, enticing settlers, and having his relatives explore and settle Vinland. If anyone has any thoughts I'd be greatful.

"Grœnlendinga Saga".

Or anything with "Saga" in the name.

Also, perhaps China should have other civs based on "dynasties".

EG:
Ming Dynasty: "Celestial Empire", Domestic trade routes create gold as if they are to foreign civs, so long as you have no foreign trade routes, and import no luxuries. Unique building provides Ming Vases, which you can trade abroad.

Qing Dynasty: "Queue order" Quicker assimilation of conquests.

Qin Dynasty: "Huang Di" Can sacrifice population/workers to speed up construction on buildings/wonders.

etc.

As per your Viking civ name, you could go with

The Íslendingar

which might be a good idea, because while it means Icelanders in Icelandic, as far as my limited grasp of the language tells me, it also equally translates as 'Lands of Ice'-ers, as in, People of the Icy Lands. Or you could try

Ísfrelsingjar

which, be warned, has no historical precedence that I know of, but, does mean Freedmen of the Ice. Or last but not least

Nýfundnaland.

Unfortunately, it's an Icelandicization of the English word Newfoundland, so doesn't quite mean Newly Found Lands. However I don't think newly found lands comes across very well in Icelandic proper. 'The Sagalands' would probably cover all ills, but it has the problem of being a bit naff.

Also, perhaps China should have other civs based on "dynasties".

EG:
Ming Dynasty: "Celestial Empire", Domestic trade routes create gold as if they are to foreign civs, so long as you have no foreign trade routes, and import no luxuries. Unique building provides Ming Vases, which you can trade abroad.

Qing Dynasty: "Queue order" Quicker assimilation of conquests.

Qin Dynasty: "Huang Di" Can sacrifice population/workers to speed up construction on buildings/wonders.

etc.

JFD and Sukritact have plans for China split (Han, Ming, Qing, Tang, Three Kingdoms, PRC). And LastSword has a nice Qin civ.

Which period of Mexico? Santa Anna #1, Santa Anna #2, Emporer Maximillian, the Republican Periods between Santa Anna's bouts at "governance", or the Republic after the ouster of Maximillian & Co. ?

The precedent we want to set is to have one decision leader specific and one decision civilization specific. For example, Canada will have Race Free immigration (Lester B) alongside the Canadian pacific railway.

In that case I'd suggest the Leyes de Reforma. (Taking the Lands of the Clergy and such for the state, amongst other separation of Church and State things) As the Juarez specific trait.

The other Decision could be related to the Scientists that Porfirio Diaz kept around during his government to further advance the technological development in the country in the quest for modernity.

In that case I'd suggest the Leyes de Reforma. (Taking the Lands of the Clergy and such for the state, amongst other separation of Church and State things) As the Juarez specific trait.

Ooh I like this! Perhaps Faith producing Haciendas produce +2 Culture and +2 Gold instead?

Perhaps to play into the whole defensive thing - something to do with forts would be nice. Perhaps forts adjacent to the coast provide Food (this would be awesome to see the AI do this).

Well, the Leyes de Reforma were about the mexican government taking power away from the catholic church in every aspect, education, land, infraestructure, etc. In order to try to modernize the country.

Having faith Haciendas produce +2 Culture and +2 Gold instead, does sound like a good idea, though I would also add a gold sum for each religous building a city has, and depending on how much gold gets "taken from the church" you get unhapiness for X turns.

That makes it a tradeoff and a decision you want to prepare for, you get a lot of gold (if you played religous) but it can backfire if you dont prepare for it, kinda like it happened in real life.

Also about coastal forts, despite Mexico having very cool coastal forts, most of them were built back on the colonial period, and after independence Mexico never really became a decent naval power, (which is a shame given its location) if anything Veracruz port has been historically the highway to invading the country. Costal strenght doesnt really fit for Mexico :/

I think something related to post-revolutionary Mexico could fit better, I would suggest:

The Estrada Doctrine
Reduce diplomatic penalties from diferent ideology, as well as unhappiness from civil unrest.

Its passive, but the docrine was all about neutrality, it would allow you to concentrate on boosting your tourism and not loose friends in the process.

Or if you want something pulled right out of the revolution:

"Valid Suffrage, No Re-election!"
-Switch ideology, you get a free Social Policy for each ideological policy you had unlocked, Can only be used once per era.

It seemd OP but cool, something to depict revolution, can use some work.

The motto was originaly used by Porfirio Diaz when he ran against Juarez for the presidency, and ironically used against him again during the Mexican revolution.

This guy has to be an event. He was even born on a Hacienda!

Oh man that's a great idea.

In the mean time - we need some feedback on a test version of Inuit 3.0. In case you missed it - here are the changes:

• UA: Yields from claimed Polar (Snow, Ice, Tundra) tiles outside workable city limits is now Food instead of Culture
  • UA: Only Fish Adjacent to Polar tiles turn into Seals
  • UA: Trading Sea Resources for Production is now removed, in it's stead - "Gain a production boost whenever a Fish turns into Seals". This Production boost is similar to chopping down a forest, but yields more production - 35 to be exact
  • UU: Unaaq are now expended when used to create Fishing Boats
  • UU: Unaaq now slightly more expensive and have additional Ranged Combat Strength and Defensive Combat Strength (+1)
  • UU: Unaaq Range reduced to +1 (similar to Hand-Axe)
  • UI: Inuksuk base yield improved by +1 Food
  • Misc: The colours are now slightly muted and are representative of the icon
  • Misc: New Icon Art by Leugi!
  • Misc: Snow Start script now allows for more Tundra starts and will always push you at least 8 tiles away from City-States, Players and Natural Wonders.
We need feedback regarding balance - whether it's too powerful or not enough or just right.

Download it now! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-yR0a2KGEPQYXJDTmFETWFsNzg/edit?usp=sharing

Top Bottom