combat animations and special effects disappearing after a while

I've run into the same issue. It's been a problem since release, as people have noted, and it doesn't seem to be on our end. I've run through the normal fixes and opened up a ticket. It really just pulls me out of the game and makes it much harder to enjoy when the animations don't go off. I hope it becomes enough of a noticed problem that they do take steps to fix it.

This is NOT an issue with people's computers, I have seen the combat animations glitch out in just about everyone's playthroughs on Youtube, I've seen it happen on the Firaxis Twitch livestream, hell, if you watch IGN's Rising Tide review video you will see that when he's bragging about the ANGEL the fancy yellow animations that should appear when it's firing upon a city are not there.

This is an issue with the Civ V engine, plain and simple. Sometimes the missile animation for the rocket artillery in Civ V would on occasion, vanish as well. This is an inherent flaw that is probably never going to be fixed since I'd be surprised if the devs knew what is causing the problem.

This is an issue with the Civ V engine, plain and simple. Sometimes the missile animation for the rocket artillery in Civ V would on occasion, vanish as well. This is an inherent flaw that is probably never going to be fixed since I'd be surprised if the devs knew what is causing the problem.

However, it has not been nearly as consistent or persistent in Civ V. Something's different in BE that makes it occur as hardware resources are used. It happens faster later in a game and sooner on bigger maps.

However, it has not been nearly as consistent or persistent in Civ V. Something's different in BE that makes it occur as hardware resources are used. It happens faster later in a game and sooner on bigger maps.

All very true, BE overall seems to be a more resource intensive game than Civ V which is why it's not surprising that the animations tend to bug out faster and it's guaranteed that it will happen eventually, even if you play for 100 turns.

By late game the combat animations glitch out after like, 5 turns. It's ridiculous, I hate having to restart the game every time it happens just so I can admire the pretty graphics for 5 more turns.

I am seriously going to continue raising hell about this until they acknowledge the issue; frankly it's unacceptable, it would be like the equivalent of not being able to see Protoss or Terran animations in Starcraft 2. And I am NOT one of those people who likes turning off the animations, that just makes the game feel so dull and lifeless, I may as well be playing an Internet browser game or something.

It happens faster later in a game and sooner on bigger maps.

Because in BE more graphic filters, textures and effects. Civ 5 game engine not designed for such loads. Developers must been modified engine for BE and Rising Tide or create new engine. But now easier for developers to pretend to be fools and talk about player's DXdiag and Msinfo32 than to fix this bug...It's not sarcasm, it is a reality!
They will be ignore this bug.

All very true, BE overall seems to be a more resource intensive game than Civ V which is why it's not surprising that the animations tend to bug out faster and it's guaranteed that it will happen eventually, even if you play for 100 turns.

By late game the combat animations glitch out after like, 5 turns. It's ridiculous, I hate having to restart the game every time it happens just so I can admire the pretty graphics for 5 more turns.

I am seriously going to continue raising hell about this until they acknowledge the issue; frankly it's unacceptable, it would be like the equivalent of not being able to see Protoss or Terran animations in Starcraft 2. And I am NOT one of those people who likes turning off the animations, that just makes the game feel so dull and lifeless, I may as well be playing an Internet browser game or something.

I'm going to do the same. I've put up with this for over a year now and now that it's clear they aren't going to fix it without hell being raised, I'm ready to raise hell. So I've opened a ticket and all that jazz, and will be keeping an eye on here and the other discussion about it that was revived on the steam civ BE discussions.

Yeah, I suggest that everyone who has noticed this issue submit a ticket to 2K support, to raise awareness about this problem.

Remember to attach the DxDiag and MSInfo text files from the start so not to waste your own time.

Another timesaver: update your graphic card drivers beforehand. It doesn't do anything to fix the issue, but it's one pointless reply spared.

yeah pretty much everyone is having this issue from what I gather. Someone on the steam discussion posted a utility that lets you up the RAM cap on 32 bit executables (which BE is), from 2 to 4. Apparently the reason it happens is basically BE runs up the consumption to over 2 then you start getting all the black squares mess and start losing the effects

Anyway I made use of the utility and it didn't fix the problem, but it did delay it. I went to 138 turns (and reached Harmony 8) as the NSA on a standard frigid map before stuff started to majorly bug out (7 civs instead of 8, which is what I usually play with). I made use of T calculus and went heavy on exploring and fighting to test out the animations over and over while filling in a ton of map.

did you know that level 3 gunboats shoot missiles if you use a ranged attack right next to the target? I didn't, now I do. that was also one of the first few things that bugged out.

Anyway, I recognize just one attempt with it could be a fluke. The original guy says he tried to use the thing on it but it crashed his game on startup. so either I did it wrong (and it really is a fluke) or he did it wrong. Tool's here if you wanna give it a go: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php run it, select BE's executable, patch it, run game, ????, temporary profit.

yeah pretty much everyone is having this issue from what I gather. Someone on the steam discussion posted a utility that lets you up the RAM cap on 32 bit executables (which BE is), from 2 to 4. Apparently the reason it happens is basically BE runs up the consumption to over 2 then you start getting all the black squares mess and start losing the effects

Anyway I made use of the utility and it didn't fix the problem, but it did delay it. I went to 138 turns (and reached Harmony 8) as the NSA on a standard frigid map before stuff started to majorly bug out (7 civs instead of 8, which is what I usually play with). I made use of T calculus and went heavy on exploring and fighting to test out the animations over and over while filling in a ton of map.

did you know that level 3 gunboats shoot missiles if you use a ranged attack right next to the target? I didn't, now I do. that was also one of the first few things that bugged out.

Anyway, I recognize just one attempt with it could be a fluke. The original guy says he tried to use the thing on it but it crashed his game on startup. so either I did it wrong (and it really is a fluke) or he did it wrong. Tool's here if you wanna give it a go: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php run it, select BE's executable, patch it, run game, ????, temporary profit.

Might have delayed the glitch of the combat animations by a couple of turns, but certainly nothing substantial. I applied the patch to both the DX11 executable as well as the Mantle executable just to make sure (even though I don't have an AMD card).

There is another application called Large Address Aware that does the same thing: allow a file to take advantage of 4 GB of RAM, but I don't know if that's compatible with the game. I see no reason why it wouldn't work though.

But the best thing to say personally about this to developers. The only problem is how to do it?

I really don't get why this is still unaddressed.

Let's look at every game ever. Wouldn't it be humorous, in Starcraft, Warcraft, League and Dota, all projectiles and hit effects disappear within a few minutes of playing. What about Supreme Commander? Total Annihilation? Hundreds of units firing at a time. Did their projectiles and hit effects disappear?

What about the Total War series, where thousands of units are firing at once. Do their projectiles and hit effects disappear within 5 minutes of a battle?

The 4x games from Stardock, a company with tiny development budgets. Sins of the Solar Empire, Galactic Civilization, Fallen Enchantress, do their projectile and hit effects disappear?

Who in Firaxis is making the decision to ignore this bug? Hollywood has figured out long ago, that special effects ALONE can sell a movie. What action movie has a rocket with no projectile, no smoke, followed by no explosion and complete silence? Does Firaxis think that people don't notice something this glaring and obvious?

Who is making this decision? How can this possibly be an acceptable bug when I can't recall a single game where this would have been seen as acceptable?

Even a tiny studio like Paradox or Stardock would prioritize a fix within a few months. It is glaring, unprofessional, and obvious.

The fact that projectile and impact effects are present in every game, something that has been programmed and reprogrammed in countless different engines without problem, tells me that the problem here isn't the bug difficulty. The problem is that the developers have their heads in the sand.

The problem is that the developers have their heads in the sand.
Maybe support not reporting to developers about it. They think this is a player's Dxdiag problem)).
Maybe we must all together send many spam messages about this problem in support and all their sites? No other ways to solve this problem. Only kill their brain!

Sunova— I told myself I wasn't going to hand Firaxis another thirty bucks until I was confident that they'd fixed this. Yet here I am. They got my money and I got a lemon. Caveat emptor, I guess.

Yesterday I just had received an update to my ticket regarding this problem, stating that the recent patch had solved it. I was, first, overjoyed and played some rounds. To my great disappointment combat animations started glitching out again and the patch, after all, hadn´t addressed this problem.

Hello. Just registered for this. Seriously? :lol: It's about time they fix this.
In Civ V maybe it was not so notable since not every damn unit had a projectile attack. But now it's unbearable.
I'll submit a ticket to 2K support too.

I also applied the 4gb patch to the executable (CivilizationBE_DX11), however when I want to start the game then I get an update message from steam, followed by an error message ("The Steam Servers are too busy to handle your request..."). Is there something I can do about it?

So anyone knows how to apply this patch to the steam version?

Top Bottom