Comparison of Map Scrips - What's your favorite ?

What is your favorite map script ?

• Total voters
I am so sorry had wrong map script, 3 straight days of no sleep is playing tricks with my memory. :crazyeye::sleep::hammer2:So very sorry. It was SmartMap

Well thanks to the weirdness of that map I found the perfect map for me. Planet Generator has become my all time favorite, so good work whomever wrote it.

What resource generation settings you used? For me it generates resources normally.

I've mostly just used World, as this was the recommended one. I believe there is another one I tried, which I used for vanilla BTS before. It was back in V38, and it's probably still available, but I forget what it's called. It has a gross amount of options, and I ran into a weird bug where I would sometimes spawn in water. I was going to play a different game after my current save, but now I want to revisit this map script lol

What resource generation settings you used? For me it generates resources normally.
Normal strat, high levels of other, plus I usually have the more resources option checked on SmartMap. I tried high levels of all and I ended up with a map basically full of metals.

Normal strat, high levels of other, plus I usually have the more resources option checked on SmartMap. I tried high levels of all and I ended up with a map basically full of metals.
I guess custom settings of resource generation are broken then in that mapscript.

Possibly; looks like there might be another to the right that's wrapped around. Iirc pangea breaker can fire multiple 'meteors'

Is this due to the PangeaBreaker feature?
It is, another big visible meteor crater is also seen a bit higher up to the left of that center crater. Since the noise field that is the basis of the height map is random some maps generated can end up with more mega continents than others before meteors are thrown, so many more meteors are thrown to break it, and this can sometimes lead to very visible craters on some maps while others don't. The size and position of the meteors are also somewhat random so sometimes the craters may overlap and hide their circularity while other times they don't. I would like to refine the meteor system to be more "smart" sometime. Compared to PM I changed it to have less and less impact on the height map the further out from the impact point it gets in the circle radius defined by the meteors size, this should have made perfectly round ocean craters less likely though it still happens if the area it hits is very flat; and it should reduce some of the heavy mountain ranges along coasts seen in PM maps often, PM maps also have visible circular craters sometimes.

Edit: These are probably all meteor impacts:
Q4Yb2zl.jpg

EditEdit: About what I said above about the random position of thrown meteors and making it more smart: It does throw them at the largest continents center of mass, but that might not be the best place to split the continent into two large pieces with as few meteors of a given size as possible, I would like to smarten it up and add some code that finds a "weak point" in the continent where the land is relatively thin and connects two substantial parts of the continent together. I consider the meteor strikes artificial interference to the natural randomness of the map and would like to use as few, and small, of them as possible to preserve the integrity of the final map. Another problem with not doing the meteor strikes as effectively as possible is that a specific percentage of the plots are supposed to be water, so a meteor strike reduce the height one place and the water fills in there but the global sea level then falls to reveal new land elsewhere which may create new mega continents and require further meteors thrown, so the less effectively the meteor are thrown the more of them is needed to end up with a result where mega continents are not allowed and the more visible the multitude of craters will become.

Last edited:
Regarding the C2C_PerfectWorld2f mapscript:
Maybe this has changed since I genned this map in Oct 2018, but wild horse (units) are incredibly rare. There are plenty of horse resource tiles, but they never spawn horses, only onagers...:confused: I mean, how does that even...?

Regarding the C2C_PerfectWorld2f mapscript:
Maybe this has changed since I genned this map in Oct 2018, but wild horse (units) are incredibly rare. There are plenty of horse resource tiles, but they never spawn horses, only onagers...:confused: I mean, how does that even...?
I suspect it is a hold over from before there was a Donkey map resource. Removing the donkey spawn from the horse bonus will probably have no affect on the number of horses spawned but it is worth trying/fixing. It is called SPAWN_DONKEY_NATIVE2 for whoever wants to remove it.

Is there a way to further reduce the amount of resources generated by any given script? I'd like to play a game where you actually get a sense of resource scarcity.

Is there a way to further reduce the amount of resources generated by any given script? I'd like to play a game where you actually get a sense of resource scarcity.
I think 50% resources on world map script is the closest you get atm.
0% resources could work too, though you would then rely on all resources coming from events or from improvements discovering a bonus on a plot where there's not a bonus.

I think 50% resources on world map script is the closest you get atm.
0% resources could work too, though you would then rely on all resources coming from events or from improvements discovering a bonus on a plot where there's not a bonus.
I checked it out and it's exactly what i was looking for. I've been playing on PlanetGenerator and MonGoose so far.

I checked it out and it's exactly what i was looking for. I've been playing on PlanetGenerator and MonGoose so far.
World mapscript is based on PerfectMongoose similarly to how PerfectMongoose was based on PerfectWorld2.
You may think of World as the last iteration within that family of mapscripts.

With the World mapscript, and start in old world, is the new world supposed to be separated by ocean? In my current game, it is only separated from the old world by sea. This means I was able to discover the new world before the classical era...

With the World mapscript, and start in old world, is the new world supposed to be separated by ocean? In my current game, it is only separated from the old world by sea. This means I was able to discover the new world before the classical era...
It doesn't 100% guarantee it, but it tries to separate old and new world by ocean, smaller map sizes increases the chance that you don't get ocean separation.

It doesn't 100% guarantee it, but it tries to separate old and new world by ocean, smaller map sizes increases the chance that you don't get ocean separation.

That's understandable. My current map is large, with standard sea level, but I guess it still happens occasionally with larger maps. Would high sea level increase the chance of a "true" new world?

Top Bottom