Comparison of Map Scrips - What's your favorite ?

What is your favorite map script ?

• Total voters
I see that in the new svn there are now tags that allow seal and walrus to only spawn next to the coast. Would it be possible to do the same for coconuts since sometimes I see them spawn inland? Also would it be possible to have coconuts only spawn in the tropics?
Great ideas!

I see that in the new svn there are now tags that allow seal and walrus to only spawn next to the coast. Would it be possible to do the same for coconuts since sometimes I see them spawn inland? Also would it be possible to have coconuts only spawn in the tropics?
I wasn't aware they were that tied to coastal areas, thanks for pointing it out.

Natural habitat inside the two red areas.

Why doesn't that map include Southern California? Last time I was in Los Angeles or San Diego there were Palm trees. And Coconut trees are of the Palm tree branch (genus?) are they not?

Why doesn't that map include Southern California? Last time I was in Los Angeles or San Diego there were Palm trees. And Coconut trees are of the Palm tree branch (genus?) are they not?
That map is based on data collected in 1933 and it excludes places where the palm has been cultivated by humans, so it only show those places that can be considered its natural habitat.
The palm tree has been cultivated in many places where it naturally hadn't reached on its own with the somewhat cluncky way the palm germinate by sending it's nuts (seed) floating wherever the water stream will take it.

Well most palms in California are actually Mexican Fan Palms. They where introduced by humans into the United States for decorative purposes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_robusta

The only native palm tree to the entire United States is the California Fan Palm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_filifera

Also none of the above grow coconuts on them. However the coconut has spread and is now cultivated in Florida.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut#Production_by_country Located under United States.

Is MoonGoose updated with all resources? And can someone describe more in details difference between MoonGoose and PerfectWorld?

PerfectWorld (PW), PerfectMongoose (PM) and World (W) all support the C2C resources.

PW is the oldest, PM the middle child and W the newest.

PM is based on PW, and its main difference is that it has a more complex climate mapping, it simulates wind directions and rainfall based on the heightmap and altitude much more advanced than PW does.

World is based on PM, and its main difference is that it use four dimensional noise fields rather than three dimensional ones without it having a performance hit due to utilizing simplex noise instead of perlin noise (different math).
This allows it to have less restrictive rules in order to avoid noise artifacts at the wrap edges, especially at the corners, so toroidal maps are much more random with W than with PM and PW.

PM have more differences with PW than I've mentioned, and so does World have with PM; but its not trivial to explain all the differences easily.
One has to try them all many times to figure out which one one like best as it is in the end subjective what people prefer.

I don't like that all starting locations are situated on shore in W... Is it intentional? And is it the same with PM?

I don't like that all starting locations are situated on shore in W... Is it intentional? And is it the same with PM?
Inland starts are possible, though rare. It's pretty much the same in PM.

It's intentional, coastal land gets a decent value boost as a starting location by these mapcripts.

One more question on this matter - often on turn 0 (when resources are not visible yet) when you click on your tribe unit - it suggests you to build your first cities one or few tiles away (and as far as I know, AI always listens to this “suggestion” and builds its first cities not on actual starting plot). This happens more often in PW than in W...
So my questions are:
1) is tribal suggestion wrong, and one (including AI) should settle on actual starting plot, regardless of what tribal unit suggests?
2) if tribal unit suggestion is right, why these map scripts don’t give optimal starting locations?

One more question on this matter - often on turn 0 (when resources are not visible yet) when you click on your tribe unit - it suggests you to build your first cities one or few tiles away (and as far as I know, AI always listens to this “suggestion” and builds its first cities not on actual starting plot). This happens more often in PW than in W...
So my questions are:
1) is tribal suggestion wrong, and one (including AI) should settle on actual starting plot, regardless of what tribal unit suggests?
There is no true best plot to settle the first city on, some position may provide a slow start but become a really good city plot after an era or two, while others go the opposite way.
Different mapscripts value plots differently for starting position, some take into account what bonuses may be revealed during the starting era and the next era when it adds value to the plots while others may not consider unrevealed resources at all.
The AI suggestion is usually a very good suggestion, but this suggestion does not take into account what bonuses may be revealed later.

honestly I like the idea that Cities may Wax and Wane over the Era's Although that said I'll need to wrap my head around the concept as I'm quite perfectionistic about it

There is no true best plot to settle the first city on, some position may provide a slow start but become a really good city plot after an era or two, while others go the opposite way.
Different mapscripts value plots differently for starting position, some take into account what bonuses may be revealed during the starting era and the next era when it adds value to the plots while others may not consider unrevealed resources at all.
The AI suggestion is usually a very good suggestion, but this suggestion does not take into account what bonuses may be revealed later.
I have wandered around for as many as 20 turns looking for the right spot. Whether I find it or not I rarely take the initial spot offered by the AI. I look for a combination of tiles that will give me a decent spread of :food::hammers::commerce: plus water and coast line. Since both give early "trade routes" and potential connections to future cities I will place.

Is there a demonstration video on Youtube or explanation text somewhere about the different map scripts? My games usually take so long that I've forgotten which one I used by the time I start a new one. I have no idea which ones are old and obsolete, and which ones are new and better functioning.

Top Bottom