Crash Exception Policy Update

Note to myself, don't run two different games at the same time, as manually saving on exit may be on the wrong game.

Not sure I quite follow this statement, but following-up on it as it may represent something that may be an issue. Regardless, you can only manually save one game at a time, so I'm not understanding how that could be a problem.

Anyway, the point above in short was to simply be consistent. Create habits as to the saves you use and how you make them, and don't rely on automatic saving features, as they are primarily for emergencies.

On the other hand, if you have a crash, ideally report it immediately with the corresponding required saves.

Thanks for clarifying what create flags, lymond. I will keep in mind to strictly use same save file throughout game. Note to myself, don't run two different games at the same time, as manually saving on exit may be on the wrong game.

You are free to use any in-game name. If you play more than one game simultaneously, then its only prudent to use a different name for every game; preferably something that would tell you what game it is, so you don't get confused. This way you also make sure that you won't accidentally overwrite a savegame from different game.

I suppose Steam closing Civ does not qualify as a valid case for this exception? Used to just close Steam so it doesn't eat half the memory and CPU time but now if I click "exit" it will close games first without even asking whether I want it or not! First they stopped supporting XP and now they want users to run Steam permanetly, I had enough of this nonsense. Is there a normal version of Civ 4 available? One suitable for HoF, of course.

Moderator Action: I know you are frustrated but please mind your language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you are having trouble with Steam, you can buy a non-steam version here. Once you have installed you need to let me know the install path and I will provide a registry fix to get Buffy working.

Yeah, I do have GOG version. Actually, I've been using its assets to make Steam one work because it would often install modified version even if you checked 'beta'. Besides, banks can authorize purchases in Steam without even sms confirmation!

I made a fresh installation in D:\Games\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete
BTW, how do you make such fix? I tried to mess about with the registry but could not make anything out of it - a lot records in different places which did not seem to make any sense.

Last edited:
Most crashes happen IBT, so the Autosave example is most applicable. The most recent save is always going to be the one to use. I would say that a crash after a manual save would probably be one of the most suspect instances. Extra care would have to be taken verifying one of those.

This is the answer - the most recent save, whether it is auto or manual one? I see no room for ambiguity.

Top Bottom