Crash Exception Policy Update

Yes, I have noticed that my .ini file reverts to default values periodically. It's not just as a result of patches. It feels like it happens spontaneously, although I'm sure that can't be right :hmm: I haven't been able to link cause and effect so far, but I can confirm that it definitely does occur. I have been badly caught out by it a few times ...

Yes! It reverts back to default for no apparent reason once and a while. :mad:

For reference here is the full policy. Complete the game, submit and email us the saves and details.
OK, now i remember. Is it necessary to do so, or you can use the saves i posted? I already submitted the game, i was only few turns away from the finish. In case, my submission # is 25607.

Yes! It reverts back to default for no apparent reason once and a while. :mad:

I concur. It happens occasionally. In my opinion, it is a trivial bug that simply rewrites the CivilizationIV.ini file with default values. The symptom is the introduction video starts when Civ4 BtS is started; I have it (intro video) disabled.

I keep several backup copies of the ini file. When this issue occurs, I simply terminate BtS, copy from the desired backup of the ini file over the "corrupted/default" ini and restart BtS.

I have observed this only with BtS, but I rarely play Vanilla or WL, so they may have the issue too.

Sun Tzu Wu

I have observed this as well, I have the .ini set up to ask whether I want full screen mode or not and every now and again it just reverts back to the default values and opens full screen.

Good point! I have the ini file ask whether to run full screen or not too. I neglected to say that setting gets set to the default of full screen in my previous post. As Ozbenno suggests, it is often the first clue that your ini file has been overwritten by default values when you start the game up.

Sun Tzu Wu

I have a question. I have a SS game, very late (building parts and researching fission) which didn't crash, so much as I clicked the x in the upper right corner by mistake.

I couldn't recreate what I did (and I seem to have trashed the 4000 BC save anyway), so I can't submit it in any case - but is that something that could be accepted in a crash exception?

I have a question. I have a SS game, very late (building parts and researching fission) which didn't crash, so much as I clicked the x in the upper right corner by mistake.

I couldn't recreate what I did (and I seem to have trashed the 4000 BC save anyway), so I can't submit it in any case - but is that something that could be accepted in a crash exception?

That's definitely a gray area. You could probably make a case under your circumstances. It probably would not be accepted since it was a mistake on your part not a real crash. But if the circumstances were benign enough you might make it though. It would require extra reviews by staff.

That doesn't mean people should go crashing their games when something bad happens and trying for an exception. That is the kind of thing we are looking for. :(

I started having regular crashes recently. It might be connected with too much shareware/freeware/other applications installed and the kids klicking obscure links on pages with cartoons etc.

So, before I make a system cleanup and a fresh install of everything that matters (read: civ4), I'd like to make sure I comply with the crash exception policy at all times 'cause I had to scrap a few games in the past few months.

Yes, I have noticed that my .ini file reverts to default values periodically. It's not just as a result of patches. It feels like it happens spontaneously, although I'm sure that can't be right :hmm: I haven't been able to link cause and effect so far, but I can confirm that it definitely does occur. I have been badly caught out by it a few times ...

Is it possible to 'move' (cut/paste) some stuff inside the *.ini file?
I mean, I would like to put the autosaves interval, number of saves and start in fullscreen lines on top of the file for easy locating.

thanks

I started having regular crashes recently. It might be connected with too much shareware/freeware/other applications installed and the kids klicking obscure links on pages with cartoons etc.

So, before I make a system cleanup and a fresh install of everything that matters (read: civ4), I'd like to make sure I comply with the crash exception policy at all times 'cause I had to scrap a few games in the past few months.

Is it possible to 'move' (cut/paste) some stuff inside the *.ini file?
I mean, I would like to put the autosaves interval, number of saves and start in fullscreen lines on top of the file for easy locating.

thanks
That should work fine - order in the file is unlikely to matter.

I've submitted a game in which I had a crash using 3.19.04b. I've followed the rules outlined and sent the necessary email, saves, descriptions of events, etc, however............

I have a newish system and it should be fine even playing Huge maps. I haven't had any crashes or problems while using 3.19.03. I have however, had 4 crashes using 3.19.04b. The other 3 games were just randomly playing trying to get a feel for the game but I thought it is worth mentioning.

So, has anyone else had any issues using 3.19.04b? I figured I'd might as well start using it since the old Buffy will be outdated soon enough. My computer specs are:

Processor: AMD FX - 6300 six core processor at 3.5Ghz
Memory: 8 Gig
Cooling system: forget, however, it's not stock. I upgraded cause I don't trust AMD ^
Graphics card: AMD Radeon R7 200 series.

Question #1: Is there any appeal possibilities when games are rejected due to crash? It may be an impression that the enforcement of the crash exemption policy is somewhat random as some players seems get their games accepted while others don't even if complying to the rules.

Question #2: Is there other rules at work not mentioned in the rules/FAQ section?
Example, there was a warning from staff about: A late flag. What is it and how should I relate to it?

Hope you can enlighten us, not so regular HoF players, before spending more time on it. Or playing on with a Kafka prozess feel looming.

Hi @Major Tom, apologies for the delay in replying.

#1 - There is no formal appeal process but the HOF Staff are noted at the bottom of the HOF web pages (or will be as I will be updating this shortly!!), simply PM one of us, however in circumstances where there is some doubt we normally discuss as a staff before a decision is made.

#2 That was an attempt to help you identify the issue as we saw it and I'm not going to go into details for obvious reasons. The save game parser checks a range of things and flags up any suspicious activity - unfortunately we cannot distinguish genuine issues from cheating. As far as the crash exception goes it is critical you follow the policy as outlined - in particular emailing us as soon as you submit your game.

Feel free to PM if you wish to discuss further.

Thanks for reply, Noble Zarkon.
About #1, that should be ok option, hope it will not burden your spare time to much if case come up.
About #2. I have no clue what the issue was or what suspicious activity could be. Often let game be idle while making a snack, watch football or whatever. Also may just have look at game for a few minutes to check stuff. Is this no good? Anything else?

Anyway, appreciate the staff efforts for having HoF and GotM running. Thanks again.

I have recently joined the GOTM club, just submitted my game for BOTM 162.
I have also participated in 160 and 161.
For 160, I installed the buffy mod for the first time, and had issues with the game freezing up while tabbing out of the game. I have since resolved that problem.
I'm abit paranoid though, and I would really appreciate if there is some "best practice" or guidelines for us noobs. How do I play in such a manner that make the savefile look best?
I have been reluctant to opening up the game while not actively playing to check things and aid with planning.
If I open up the game from a save, but do no unit moves and don't end turn, but for example move around citizens in cities. Should I still make a new save if I want to close the game?

Best practice is to always save on exit even if you think you haven't done anything, there's a setting for that in the Buffy options, and then always start from that last save. Most people (myself included!!) have found that resolved most issues.

Thanks! I'll have to check out the Buffy options then.
I also edited the Civ4Config and set it to autosave each turn, and to save all autosaves.
I heard that was something that you should do.

But still, I'm no stranger to just throwing myself into new adventures and not being afraid of making blunders and mistakes and looking like a fool.
I'm probably in minority when it comes to that attitude though, so I think it would be very nice with some sort of guide (HOF for dummies) for others as well.

After playing my own type of games (not HoF) after all these years I have this habit of hitting ctr-s or quicksave then go on. Is this not good?

I also edited the Civ4Config and set it to autosave each turn......
I heard that was something that you MUST do.

Make sure you set max auto-saves to 10 as well.

But still, I'm no stranger to just throwing myself into new adventures and not being afraid of making blunders and mistakes and looking like a fool.
I'm probably in minority when it comes to that attitude though, so I think it would be very nice with some sort of guide (HOF for dummies) for others as well.

Most everything you need to know is already spelled out on the HOF webpage here http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/rules.php. Read all the tabs before setting up and playing the first time. Ofc, we are always here to answer questions, if needed. As long as you do that, I would not be overly concerned of blunders. Looking like a fool is another thing, as I do often :D

However, I will point out something that is in part response to @Major Tom 's recent inquiries. First, we have all been guilty at one time or another of flagging the system and getting rejected. That includes Noble and me. I've been playing HOF long before I was actually staff.

Major Tom, no the issues in question, as I already informed you, were not in any way related to the duration of your sessions.

I have a strong theory that...generally speaking... the major reason for system flags related to reloads is not saving manually before each and every time one closes the game.

The auto-saving methods that have been outlined are, IMO, primarily for the purpose of backups in case of crash issues. Saving manually each time and always using that save is the best way to avoid discrepancies. This includes sessions in which one is just opening the game to check stuff out.

Relying on auto-saving is questionable, especially as .and I know I do this..we sit there getting ready to close out the session for the night, but knowing or unknowingly we make an additional move or two. I know that, for myself, at this point in the game my mind is still going full speed thinking of all the little micro things that need to be done that turn. I tell myself " yeah..it's time to close out" but my subconscious is wanting to still make these moves. I have often saved the game, but then do some more stuff, and then save the game again before closing out.

So over time I have developed the habitual instinct to always save the game manually before hitting the exit game button. I believe this is the best practice.

Lastly, the staff is keen to likelihood that regular HOF players do not cheat. However, the system does not lie, and as Noble stated we cannot make this determination either way. As stated before, most likely the issues are just user error. Once one gets in the habit of always manually saving before exit, one should never have these issues.

After playing my own type of games (not HoF) after all these years I have this habit of hitting ctr-s or quicksave then go on. Is this not good?

I've never used that quicksave function in Civ IV. However, related to my previous discussion, the question still remains on what is the best save to start from in the next session. Was the quick save really the last cut-off point? It seems unreliable to me. I only feel comfortable starting from a save that I know for sure represents that absolute last thing I did in game. For me, the only way to ensure that is to save manually before hitting the exit game button, and always starting from those saves.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying what create flags, lymond. I will keep in mind to strictly use same save file throughout game. Note to myself, don't run two different games at the same time, as manually saving on exit may be on the wrong game.

Quick save (shift-F5) is really convenient. Remember when game was released. Very unstable. Quick saving saved a lot of time. Oh, those where the days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom