Crash Exception Policy Update

Should I continue playing it (from the last save)?

If the save is more recent than the autosave and you didn't make any moves from it when you crashed, yes continue from that save. Remember to send us an email when you submit the game and upload the crash recovery save.

If the save is more recent than the autosave and you didn't make any moves from it when you crashed, yes continue from that save. Remember to send us an email when you submit the game and upload the crash recovery save.

What is the crash recovery save?

What is the crash recovery save?

From the Crash Exception page...

Two save files are required to verify the circumstances of the crash:
The autosave file used to restart following the crash.
A manual save file taken at the point when you have replayed up until the point you where when the crash occurred.

From the Crash Exception page...

Two save files are required to verify the circumstances of the crash:
The autosave file used to restart following the crash.
A manual save file taken at the point when you have replayed up until the point you where when the crash occurred.

Thanks. Nevermind, I decide to start a new game.

This is from the crash exception page:

"The CivilizationIV.ini file setting: "AutoSaveInterval" must be set to 1."

Can someone help me do this (for Vista). I go into Documents>mygames>BTS and open the CivilizationIV.ini file in word pad. I change the setting to 1. As soon as I start the game, it seems to revert back to 4.

Can anyone help?

Can someone help me do this (for Vista). I go into Documents>mygames>BTS and open the CivilizationIV.ini file in word pad. I change the setting to 1. As soon as I start the game, it seems to revert back to 4.

Can anyone help?
are you sure you changed the BtS civilization.ini too?

Can anyone help?
It shouldn't do that. Does it remember your game settings (Lock modified assets, no Barbs, etc.)? I am not sure about using wordpad for editing. It might do something to mess with the format. You should use Notepad, instead.

are you sure you changed the BtS civilization.ini too?

Actually, I changed only the BtS civilization.ini. Do I have to change the Vanilla one too?

It shouldn't do that. Does it remember your game settings (Lock modified assets, no Barbs, etc.)? I am not sure about using wordpad for editing. It might do something to mess with the format. You should use Notepad, instead.

When I click on the BtS civilization.ini file, it automatically opens in Wordpad. I am not familiar with Notepad.

I have similar issues sometimes when I switch in between BUFFY and regular 3.19 for Pitboss game.

Do you have non-standard-English letters in the path to .ini?

I have similar issues sometimes when I switch in between BUFFY and regular 3.19 for Pitboss game.

Do you have non-standard-English letters in the path to .ini?

No. All standard English.

When I click on the BtS civilization.ini file, it automatically opens in Wordpad. I am not familiar with Notepad.

NotePad is under Accessories folder in Start menu for Vista, XP and earlier Microsoft operating systems; probably same place in Windows 7.

I prefer to use free and open source Notepad++:

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Both notepad and notepad++ will edit CivilizationIV.ini files just fine.

Sun Tzu Wu

I changed the civilization.ini file for both vanilla and BtS and that seems to have resolved my issue.

My problem is not fixed after all. I found that when I save the civilization.ini file after I have changed the auto save interval to 1, it reverts back to 4 once I start BTS. If I change it after BTS is started, of course, it has no effect.

I tried the above suggests and none helped.

Below is an image of me saving the file:
Spoiler :

What about you other settings. Did they reset as well?

The only time I have see Civ4 rewrite the ini file has been related to patches. Did you do something with your install, play a scenario, etc. that might have caused it to rewrite it? Something has to be different as most players don't have a problem.

You might want to check the Civ4 Tech support forum for similar reports.

The only time I have see Civ4 rewrite the ini file has been related to patches. Did you do something with your install, play a scenario, etc. that might have caused it to rewrite it? Something has to be different as most players don't have a problem.

My BtS CivilizationIV.ini is rewritten with default values with roughly weekly regularity.

My solution has been to keep backup copies of my CivilizationIV.ini and always copy from the backup over the game's ini before starting the game. Since doing this I've had no issues with ini parameters not being what I expect them to be.

Also, I always check that my auto directory is being filled with an auto save file for every turn as validation that my CivilizationIV.ini is correct. Actually, I check this at least after each session, not necessarily after every turn like it sounds.

Sun Tzu Wu

Yes, I have noticed that my .ini file reverts to default values periodically. It's not just as a result of patches. It feels like it happens spontaneously, although I'm sure that can't be right :hmm: I haven't been able to link cause and effect so far, but I can confirm that it definitely does occur. I have been badly caught out by it a few times ...

Ugh, I've already had a really nice game heading straight to my personal best, and... the storm cut off electricity for some time ;/ I suppose in such cases crash policy is not working (very peaceful game, nothing special in the turn played, no chance and need of cheating)?

:( :( :( I'm really really really saaaaaaaad and angry

Ugh, I've already had a really nice game heading straight to my personal best, and... the storm cut off electricity for some time ;/ I suppose in such cases crash policy is not working (very peaceful game, nothing special in the turn played, no chance and need of cheating)?

:( :( :( I'm really really really saaaaaaaad and angry

Follow the rules and submit the games as normal with an email to us and we'll look at it.

Hi HoF Staff,
i've just had a complete PC crash (it happens every few weeks since i got the SSD) in the middle of a turn. I can only reload from the last save (turn beginning).

I forgot what you need to verify the problem, for now i post the autosave, then i will save before the end of the turn. I'm tryin' to reproduce all my moves. I think you need that save too.

BTW, i've also forgotten if this is the correct procedure :blush:

Thanks for your patience :)

Top Bottom