[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts II: Another 10,000 to come.

From 2019. I wonder how this changes with time?

Seems like this would vary widely from country to country depending on the tax arrangements

Last edited:
Here's a graph from the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_spaceflight showing the number of orbital launches worldwide per year. It looks like there was a peak in the 1960s, followed by a slow decline, followed by a rapid ramp-up in the past several years.

nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ... to ...

27-12-2023.jpg

be tolerant ?

Nice graph.
Witch trials were more present where reformation and counter reformation met. In Germany the 30 years war was fought and Lutheran an Catholic borders were changing quite a lot. In Switzerland the Calvinists probably caused the same effects. For France the Cathar and Huguenot persecutions probably dominated.

nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ... to ...

View attachment 680769

be tolerant ?
Pretty dumb actually. Conflating 1300 and 1800? Seriously? Why didn't they read about this:
"Instead of assuming as the earlier laws did that witches were real and had real magical power derived from pacts with Satan, the new law assumed that there were no real witches, no one had real magic power and those claiming such powers were cheaters extorting money from gullible people."

That's a major turnaround in thinking in regard to society as a whole. The crime had become essentially "deceiving people into thinking you're a witch or have some super-powers" rather than "you are in league with Satan".

Indeed. That is for Canada, here is one for Europe with this less pretty table as the result.

Cost of renewable energy

How do we know when we hit 1.5 C warming?

Global Average? Give me a break. Read some of this about the Tambora eruption in 1816:
https://www.geography.unibe.ch/serv...nline_publications/gb2016g9001/index_eng.html
Global land temperature average dropped only about 1.5 C but some regions had devastating effects, like snow in June in New England, and endless rain in central Europe. Serious food shortages. Dubbed "year without a summer".

This graph is based on very mushy thinking, like a grandiose "one size fits all" view of the inhabited parts of Earth.

was not attempting to whitewash some institution , know they burned people for heresy and in their cay they were no better than the Portugese whose business practices were like "awesome" . But like it is still something .

Conflating time periods or countries or age cohorts, etc. is a form of exaggeration. Why give credence to such sloppy "evidence"?

For example, the list implies that all 10 countries continued to persecute witches up to 1850. That sounds like exaggeration, which seems more like kids telling each other ghost stories when camping at night than historians looking carefully at evidence across centuries. Stats like these are like clickbait, designed to give someone a sense of "influence" even if not intentionally deceptive.

The book How To Lie With Statistics was published in 1954. That's a long time since people started becoming skeptical. Catch up!

Last edited:
my stuff is regularly ignored , not just because ı will be the first to state ı will not be proving them in ways applicable to academia . Any specific reasons you are opposing any idea that the Spanish Inqusition was not as bad as this Black Legend or whatever ?

Any specific reasons you are opposing any idea that the Spanish Inqusition was not as bad as this Black Legend or whatever ?
The main point is that the prime targets of the Spanish inquisition were the Jews not the Witches.

my stuff is regularly ignored , not just because ı will be the first to state ı will not be proving them in ways applicable to academia . Any specific reasons you are opposing any idea that the Spanish Inqusition was not as bad as this Black Legend or whatever ?
Sorry, I forgot to click the Quote button -- I was reply to the graph itself, but my reply got sequenced after your comment.

I'm only opposing exaggeration, such as conflating data as if it's the same (different countries, eras). Spanish Inquisition was a doctrinal action. Witchcraft like Salem, Mass was a different kind of accusation, as Samson noted. Read some of the actual accounts there. It seems that a lot of the accusers were women against women, but the enforcers and executioners were men who were town leaders.

for some arcane reason ı have been put forward to be unhappy about the way certain viewpoints have been busy to reverse the outcome of WW 2 in the 21st Century , much like the said are now riding (and driving) the anger against human rights stuff by the Med . Had to be stated to grasp if this was more of the same . One thing people will not learn in school books anywhere . The Court of Spain in 1492 knew the world was round , had some ideas about the size of it and the distances . The thing they utterly failed was believing in Prester John . Surrounded by Turkics , using only Jews in the diplomatic service . Accordingly they sent an emissary , to tell the truth without bad people acting in bad faith . Bad luck for the Global South . Imagine them finding Japan instead .

for some arcane reason ı have been put forward to be unhappy about the way certain viewpoints have been busy to reverse the outcome of WW 2 in the 21st Century , much like the said are now riding (and driving) the anger against human rights stuff by the Med . Had to be stated to grasp if this was more of the same . One thing people will not learn in school books anywhere . The Court of Spain in 1492 knew the world was round , had some ideas about the size of it and the distances . The thing they utterly failed was believing in Prester John . Surrounded by Turkics , using only Jews in the diplomatic service . Accordingly they sent an emissary , to tell the truth without bad people acting in bad faith . Bad luck for the Global South . Imagine them finding Japan instead .
I don't understand this line of reasoning. I must have missed back story due to joining this thread only on the current page. I'll quit it.

it is me , talking in riddles and all .

prester John thing commits me to reject that Spanish Inquisition was still bad because of what it did to Jews , because that graph was posted only because it was odd and funny and stuff and not in a bid to say Spanish Inquisition was the best thing that ever happened to Mankind . Very few people likes to tangle with me here because ı will be able to hint something that clearly looks like that ı made it up and will twist it up and down . Am persistent . And nobody has ever been able to prove Dachs wrong . That was a member with proven knowledge of military history and stuff and he would argue ı would know what ı was talking about ... This covered the first 2000 or so posts and people who objected to me fervently could not get me banned . They tend to cite a Polish member who posted "far too much" for the reason why they have given up posting here . Will post a clearer version of this in a different thread soon , involving the Age of Discovery stuff .

Barnet council’s ‘Graph of Doom’ [from 2011] now looks prophetic

In 2011 Barnet council Graph of Doom. It's a PowerPoint slide showing that within 20 years, unless things change dramatically, the north London council will be unable to provide any services except adult social care and children's services. No libraries, no parks, no leisure centres – not even bin collections.

Last edited:
Top Bottom