[RD] Do 'woke' films go broke? (from LGBTQ news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean beyond it just being an open forum for zardnaar to spew his deranged old man bigotry, it doesn't even really meaningfully address the main points others have been making...like at all? Like the whole thing is that your argument - that something is bad because it's woke, and you know it's woke because it's bad, is a circular argument, and, when stripped down, virtually indistinguishable from "it wasn't a good movie," "people didn't like it," or "I didn't enjoy it." It's just you taking random products and ascribing a reason to the perceived quality of that product post hoc. There's no meaningful way to define when something in this natural """""experiment""""" is bad because it's "woke" (whatever that means) and is bad just because it's bad and not woke. Zardnaar could get these "correct" with 100% accuracy, and we'd be no closer to knowing what woke actually means.

I said what woke means varies by the person saying it and the context. You can keep jumping up and down about it if you like.

Broadly speaking the more woke a movie is it narrows the broad appeal of it. That's the simple explanation.

Would a liberal go see a preachy conservative Christian movie? How about the general audience.

Probably not.

Well no one here can really define woke.

Then why the fudge do you keep insisting it has a meaningful enough definition to be able to categorize media as "woke" or "not woke"?

If nobody can define it, and it's just a "you know it when you see it" thing, then it's, as others have said, a meaningless circular argument- something is woke because you don't like it, you don't like it because it's woke, and that's just a matter of personal opinion.

I somehow don't see how the thread has to be an attempt (not just unrealistic, but also clearly anti-forum) to put a poster down. And regardless of contrasting arguments, just how is he an "old" person when (iirc) you are only around half a decade younger?
Maybe the overall quality of talking here, which often devolves to brawling, is to doom the OT to nothingness in a few years - would fit the trajectory fine anyway.

I am not trying to protect him - we aren't children. Just wanted to express how such a method of conversing alienates people and forces discussion to stop, not pick up.

An old person complaining about how many cis women and minorities there are in films, as if all white, all male casts are somehow more "organic" or "less forced"

I can entertain these views, but don't ask me to pretend that there isn't some sort of underlying discomfort underpinning these beliefs

Afaik he is 43. You act like the rest here are in their 20s ^^
Hey young whipper snapper, there’s a few old farts floating around in this thread :p.

An old person complaining about how many cis women and minorities there are in films, as if all white, all male casts are somehow more "organic" or "less forced"

Like it or not movies and pop culture have become political.

The people making those movie are projecting their own values and beliefs into those movies.

That's perfectly fine. Those values and beliefs reflect urban California and parts of America.

They don't reflect the values of large chunks of America let alone the rest of the world.

Like it or not movies and pop culture have become political.

The people making those movie are projecting their own values and beliefs into those movies.

That's perfectly fine. Those values and beliefs reflect urban California and parts of America.

They don't reflect the values of large chunks of America let alone the rest of the world.

Bro ALL media is political, im begging you to do some basic research

if you act like an old man yelling at clouds im going to call you an old man yelling at clouds.

and i have straight up never seen zard do anything other than yell at clouds. he doesn’t even actually talk to anybody in here. it’d honestly be sad to watch if so much of the yelling wasn’t so wildly racist and queerphobic all the time

I can entertain these views, but don't ask me to pretend that there isn't some sort of underlying discomfort underpinning these beliefs

I'm not complaining personally more acknowledging the complaints of others.

Personally I do watch woke productions but I draw the line somewhere between a Disney movie through to Peter Pan or Cleopatra depends on the individual product.

if you act like an old man yelling at clouds im going to call you an old man yelling at clouds.

and i have straight up never seen zard do anything other than yell at clouds. he doesn’t even actually talk to anybody in here. it’d honestly be sad to watch if so much of the yelling wasn’t so racist and queerphobic

More observations of American culture wars. Enjoy choking in the fumes of that in the USA things are more chilled out here.

Thought I'm veing clear enough you just don't like the answers and are convinced you're right.

More observations of American culture wars. Enjoy choking in the fumed of that in USA things are more chilled out here.

How about we ask minorities in new Zealand that question rather than a dude who doesn't have to undergo their indignities or live their realities

but i repeat myself

Dude doesn't even respond to your actual post, just what he imagines your post to be

If people think Luke and Rey power growth are too fast, what about Savage Oppress who had an even more dramatic powergrowth, like able to fight and defeat both Obi Wan and Anakin at the same time, kill several jedi, disarm Count Dooku together with Ventress, this with at most 3 years of experience and probably less. Clone Wars Maul is also absolutely crazy, going from losing like half his body, going mad and not been using a lightsaber for like a decade, yet is potrayed as being even stronger than Savage Oppress who he quickly defeat and being such a threat that even Sidious have to take Savage and Maul more seriously than he like take the jedi council, like Maul at that point is potrayed as being able to duel Sidious in lightsaber combat and only losing due to Sidious being more able to use the force.

And this was before Rey existed.

but i repeat myself

You are aware you're in a bubble right? You're in academia in a sapphire blue part if the US.

I'm in the NZ equivalent one of the most liberal parts of the country university city.

Go work at the port, construction or travel 30 minutes do the road things are very different.

Woke th8ngs have limited appeal in the USA, Murdoch media didn't really establish itself here like USA/UK/Australia.

To be Frank, it becoming scary for me because it’s like looking at a mirror and seeing my old self.

If people think Luke and Rey power growth are too fast, what about Savage Oppress who had an even more dramatic powergrowth, like able to fight and defeat both Obi Wan and Anakin at the same time, kill several jedi, disarm Count Dooku together with Ventress, this with at most 3 years of experience and probably less. Clone Wars Maul is also absolutely crazy, going from losing like half his body, going mad and not been using a lightsaber for like a decade, yet is potrayed as being even stronger than Savage Oppress who he quickly defeat and being such a threat that even Sidious have to take Savage and Maul more seriously than he like take the jedi council, like Maul at that point is potrayed as being able to duel Sidious in lightsaber combat and only losing due to Sidious being more able to use the force.

And this was before Rey existed.

Darkside it's the quick and easy way. Maul was an ex Sith lord, Savage grew up in a dark side culture and Mother Talzim did that dark side ritual making hin more powerful. He also got destroyed easily by Palapatine.

That's all very consistent with Star Wars tropes. Mauls a Sith Lord in power levels.

I somehow don't see how the thread has to be an attempt (not just unrealistic, but also clearly anti-civility) to put a poster down. And regardless of contrasting arguments, just how is he an "old" person when (iirc) you are only around half a decade younger?
Maybe the overall quality of talking here, which often devolves to brawling, is to doom the OT to nothingness in a few years - would fit the trajectory fine anyway.

I am not trying to protect him - we aren't children. Just wanted to express how such a method of conversing alienates people and forces discussion to stop, not pick up.
CFC OT was like this when I joined it what feels like seven or eight years ago now. Less posters admittedly nowadays, but I think we're fine ;)

If we're going to talk about civility, where is this in the Russia thread? In the LGBTQ news thread? You say you're not protecting him, but this is the only active thread where you're alleging something that happens in a bunch of other places :D

It's been 20 pages, Kyr. There's been plenty of good faith conservation of trying to understand the points being made. Of trying to validate the claims being made. Turns out when those aren't forthcoming, people stop relying on charitable explanations. There's nothing wrong with that. It's expected.

That's all very consistent with Star Wars tropes.
So why's Rey gaining a bunch of skill because of Force Dyad or whatever not consistent with Star Wars tropes then

CFC OT was like this when I joined it what feels like seven or eight years ago now. Less posters admittedly nowadays, but I think we're fine ;)

If we're going to talk about civility, where is this in the Russia thread? In the LGBTQ news thread? You say you're not protecting him, but this is the only active thread where you're alleging something that happens in a bunch of other places :D

It's been 20 pages, Kyr. There's been plenty of good faith conservation of trying to understand the points being made. Of trying to validate the claims being made. Turns out when those aren't forthcoming, people stop relying on charitable explanations. There's nothing wrong with that. It's expected.
Fine. Please start building the pyre then ^^

So why's Rey gaining a bunch of skill because of Force Dyad or whatever not consistent with Star Wars tropes then

1. They hadn't thought if it yet in TFA.

2. There's no previous examples of force dyads in the canon shows/movies.

They pulled it out of their butt another words. The only vaguely similar thing was a video game in Legends continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom