[RD] Do 'woke' films go broke? (from LGBTQ news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know why

No it's not because she's a women. Ahsoka follows the established tropes along with Maul.

Oppres is kind of an exception but he was subjected to a dark side ritual and trained by dark sides.

One also expects dark sides to gain power faster but burn out earlier. They literally tell us this in the OT.

So if Rey went dark side she makes more sense (in universe). She would be more interesting going dark and being redeemed imho.

1. They hadn't thought if it yet in TFA.

2. There's no previous examples of force dyads in the canon shows/movies.

They pulled it out of their butt another words. The only vaguely similar thing was a video game in Legends continuity.
Star Wars, famous for not making things up on the spot. Just don't ask them about uh, midichlorians, Mortis, anything about the Ancient Sith in the EU, the Yuuzhan Yong, Luminara, Killiks, etc, etc.

One also expects dark sides to gain power faster but burn out earlier.
Anakin did not seems to get any serious power increase when he feel to dark side in Revenge of the Sith and was unable to defeat Obi Wan, somebody characters like Ventress, Dooku, Savage and Maul could beat. Before his fall Anakin could defeat Dooku who seems to dominate Obi Wan.

Star Wars, famous for not making things up on the spot. Just don't ask them about uh, midichlorians, Mortis, anything about the Ancient Sith in the EU, the Yuuzhan Yong, Luminara, Killiks, etc, etc.

They also explained all of that in Legends as well. They also didn't really contradict the way things worked either.

Even the Vong got an explanation along with Mortis/Abeloth and the ancient Sith.

Tgecancient Sith Lord's were well Sith Lord's its self explanatory although sone of the stories were just as stupid as TFA.

They also explained all of that in Legends as well. They also didn't really contradict the way things worked either.

Even the Vong got an explanation along with Mortis/Abeloth and the ancient Sith.

Tgecancient Sith Lord's were well Sith Lord's its self explanatory although sone of the stories were just as stupid as TFA.
They didn't explain anything at the time, and I note you skipped over midichlorians :D

Yes, they explained some things with later media (books / comics, visual encyclopedias / etc). They did that with the Force dyad too.

If they didn't explain it at the time, then it's the same as not explaining the Force dyad at the time. If it's okay that they explained things later, it's okay the Force dyad was explained later.

You can't have it both ways lol.

Anakin did not seems to get any serious power increase when he feel to dark side in Revenge of the Sith and was unable to defeat Obi Wan, somebody characters like Ventress, Dooku, Savage and Maul could beat. Before his fall Anakin could defeat Dooku who seems to dominate Obi Wan.

Ohio Wan used his anger against him and used soresu. Basically a defensive master. Anakin also fell for Sidious BS and Obi Wan is that good (master vs apprentice)

Mace, Yoda, Obi Wan were very powerful Jedi masters.

They didn't explain anything at the time, and I note you skipped over midichlorians :D

Yes, they explained some things with later media (books / comics, visual encyclopedias / etc). They did that with the Force dyad too.

If they didn't explain it at the time, then it's the same as not explaining the Force dyad at the time. If it's okay that they explained things later, it's okay the Force dyad was explained later.

You can't have it both ways lol.

They did explain most of it in their respective appearances. Eg Vong at the end of NJO.

Alot of Legebds is also crap. Disney's batting 50/50 which is a better rate than legends. Dark Empire was better than RoS but not by much and RoS is better than Crystal Star or Children of the Jedi. RoS is really only the outright bad Disney movie, Book of Boba Fett isn't great either.

Andor, Rogue One, Rebels, Bad Batch. S7 Clone wars pretty damn good everything else somewhere in the middle.

They did explain most of it in their respective appearances. Eg Vong at the end of NJO.
They explained it when filling in the blanks r.e. Vergere, and retroactively did a (good) Clone Wars episode I think?

I'm not on about the batting average. I'm saying not explaining the Force dyad is fine. Star Wars introduces stuff without explaining it all the time.

It was very obvious from TFA onwards that Ben Solo and Rey shared something. The films made that clear.

So again, what's the problem with Rey's power curve considering the dyad justifies it?

Ohio Wan used his anger against him and used soresu. Basically a defensive master. Anakin also fell for Sidious BS and Obi Wan is that good (master vs apprentice)
Many other characters are shown to be able to do far better against Obi Wan than Vader was ever able to do, Obi Wan vs Vader and Obi Wan vs pretty much any other feels like two different potrayal of his and Vaders character.

Also if master should beat apprentice, it did not look to me like Vader was doing all that much better against his own apprentice Ahsoka (who was at serious disadvantages, being distracted, mentally divided and had already been fighting before that day and this was also in a dark side place), yet Vader was unable to land a single hit on her while she was defending herself, which is also true for Obi Wan. Vader in rebels is also potrayed as being quite crazy being able to trivially beat Erza and Kanan. Vader should have way more advantages over Ahsoka than Obi Wan had over Vader should be way beyond Ahsoka and Obi Wan in force potential (given neither of those characters seems stated to be particular gifted in the force) and lightsaber skill (like best in Galaxy), being her master, older, more experienced and all the contextual advantages, yet seems reduced to only being able to throw blow after blow against her and also Obi Wan to they tire out and unable to block, which seems a bit odd.

You are aware you're in a bubble right? You're in academia in a sapphire blue part if the US. Go work at the port, construction or travel 30 minutes do the road things are very different.
While Sophie is in an academic environment. But I work as a machinist in a factory in the bluest of blue states. I don’t hear my coworkers complaining about if a movie is woke or not. Heck, most don’t even use Twitter let alone use it.
Woke th8ngs have limited appeal in the USA, Murdoch media didn't really establish itself here like USA/UK/Australia.
Ok, can we clearly define woke? Initially it was used (within anti-SJW circles) to refer anything that has a social justice and leftist values. Now it’s been evolved to “something that I do not like” to where even a bottle of ketchup is deemed woke. Even I’m thinking that is getting cringy to use woke to describe anything.
So why's Rey gaining a bunch of skill because of Force Dyad or whatever not consistent with Star Wars tropes then
I must be way out of the loop (I haven’t touched the franchise since around TLJ and Rouge One) but what the heck is a Force Dyad?

Last edited:
While Sophie is in an academic environment. But I work as a machinist in a factory in the bluest of blue states. I don’t hear my coworkers complaining about if a movie is woke or not. Heck, most don’t even use Twitter let alone use it.

Ok, can we clearly define woke? Initially it was used (within anti-SJW circles) to refer anything that has a social justice and leftist values. Now it’s been evolved to “something that I do not like” to where even a bottle of ketchup is deemed woke. Even I’m thinking that is getting cringy to use woke to describe anything.

I must be way out of the loop (I haven’t touched the franchise since around TLJ and Rouge One) but what the heck is a Force Dyad?

I don't here them complaining about movies either but i did meet the NZ equivalent of gun nuts, conspiracy theorists on construction sites.

Blue collar jobs rougher crowd last time i heard an LGBTQ joke was in that type of crowd (2009).

Last edited:
like you can just tell when someone has been watching all the youtube videos with the angry yelling men and the block caps captions and the insanely bad media literacy

1. They hadn't thought if it yet in TFA.

2. There's no previous examples of force dyads in the canon shows/movies.

They pulled it out of their butt another words. The only vaguely similar thing was a video game in Legends continuity.

And? Star Wars does things without immediately explaining it all the time, and it throws new force powers out of nowhere all the time with no previous examples! It happens all the time even in the original trilogy! Is Han Solo's throwaway line about 12 parsecs bad because they didn't explain in the movie why the Kessel Run goes past a black hole so using a unit of distance there makes sense, actually? Or how when Obi-Wan first mentions Yoda in ESB he says Yoda taught him, even though the prequels contradict that? Is the Emperor pulling force powers out of his ass when he shoots Lightning at Luke, a power which had no previous examples in Star Wars canon up to that point?

I've seen you autocorrect your way into some creative typos but that's a new high in bizarreness from you.

Ok, can we clearly define woke?

We can't. Because, as it's being used by anti-woke types, it doesn't have a clearly defined meaning, it's, as you said, just "something I don't like." They can't define it more than that because they use it in a way that makes a defined meaning impossible.

Some like, magic force connection thing, I don't know, the ST was kinda dumb and didn't explain it well and JJ Abrams is a hack

Or how when Obi-Wan first mentions Yoda in ESB he says Yoda taught him, even though the prequels contradict that?
Well Yoda according to Ahsoka did teach most jedi at some point so it is not completely unfound, even when Ahsoka was Anakin's padawan, Yoda still spared with her to help her become a better dualist.

like you can just tell when someone has been watching all the youtube videos with the angry yelling men and the block caps captions and the insanely bad media literacy

I've seen some that Civ General references. They're really bad if you watch one
I use box office mojo for that sorta thing, box office subreddit and this guy.

Kathleen Kennedy is gonna get fired any minute now (since 2017).

It was (barely) explained in Rise of Skywalker. Which is a shame, because it's a neat concept. It's basically two people that are a single (or twinned) presence in the Force. This manifests in a bunch of ways, and explains the connection Ben Solo and Rey had throughout the sequel trilogy. Other media has also shown it to be a thing the Sith have been pursuing for a long time (retroactively, like many things in the old EU and the new canon).

And? Star Wars does things without immediately explaining it all the time, and it throws new force powers out of nowhere all the time with no previous examples! It happens all the time even in the original trilogy! Is Han Solo's throwaway line about 12 parsecs bad because they didn't explain in the movie why the Kessel Run goes past a black hole so using a unit of distance there makes sense, actually? Or how when Obi-Wan first mentions Yoda in ESB he says Yoda taught him, even though the prequels contradict that? Is the Emperor pulling force powers out of his ass when he shoots Lightning at Luke, a power which had no previous examples in Star Wars canon up to that point?

I've seen you autocorrect your way into some creative typos but that's a new high in bizarreness from you.

We can't. Because, as it's being used by anti-woke types, it doesn't have a clearly defined meaning, it's, as you said, just "something I don't like." They can't define it more than that because they use it in a way that makes a defined meaning impossible.

Some like, magic force connection thing, I don't know, the ST was kinda dumb and didn't explain it well and JJ Abrams is a hack

I hate this phone. I can spell but if I'm in a hurry word salad.

And keyboards to small once again word salad.

It was (barely) explained in Rise of Skywalker. Which is a shame, because it's a neat concept. It's basically two people that are a single (or twinned) presence in the Force. This manifests in a bunch of ways, and explains the connection Ben Solo and Rey had throughout the sequel trilogy. Other media has also shown it to be a thing the Sith have been pursuing for a long time (retroactively, like many things in the old EU and the new canon).

One thing I wanted them to follow up on was Force Awakens.

With the defeat of the Sith the darkside clears up. That would have been interesting.

For me the dyad was reheated badly explained and executed link that Kreia and the Jedi exile had in KoToR2.

Defining is not a problem. It’s pretty clear what it is to many people, to the point even gpt knows what woke is. Some people like to make a stand up and exhale rhetorically: “but what does it mean?!” Come on. We know what it means. I’d like to add, in disagreement to some, perhaps, that financial success is a variable, which can be completely separate from the degree of sensitivity to injustices. The case for that will only strengthen in coming years, as film megacorps will secure the ever increasing number of people in their subscription models and shackle them otherwise in corporate loyalty schemes.

Finally, my respects to Zaard for being impervious to cancellations through his unique brand of evasiveness!

GPT: "Woke" is a term that has come to refer to awareness and sensitivity to social and political injustices, particularly related to race, gender, and class.

Defining is not a problem. It’s pretty clear what it is to many people, to the point even gpt knows what woke is. Some people like to make a stand up and exhale rhetorically: “but what does it mean?!” Come on. We know what it means. I’d like to add, in disagreement to some, perhaps, that financial success is a variable, which can be completely separate from the degree of sensitivity to injustices. The case for that will only strengthen in coming years, as film megacorps will secure the ever increasing number of people in their subscription models and shackle them otherwise in corporate loyalty schemes.

Finally, my respects to Zaard for being impervious to cancellations through his unique brand of evasiveness!

GPT: "Woke" is a term that has come to refer to awareness and sensitivity to social and political injustices, particularly related to race, gender, and class.

Not deliberately evading squat but doing other stuff irl and a lot of strawmanning/sealioning I don't bother responding to that when I've already answered multiple times.

I don't care if someone doesn't like the answer.

Screenshot of what I've been watching lately on YouTube subscription.

20230718_210959.jpg

1. Travel
2. D&D related
3. Military stuff
4. Kinda Travel related
5. America Travel related generally basty parts.
6. Liberal hill Billy.
7. Eating food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom