Do you believe in an American exceptionalism

• Yes i do believe in an American exceptionalism

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No i dont believe in an American exceptionalism

Votes: 82 71.9%
  • Other (Please explane below)

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
there is clearly good and bad, but america's influence on the planet, overall, has been positive, and it has been massive.

And it has overshadowed, by far, the influence that any other nation has had on the course of human history.

If that doesn't meet your definition of "exceptional," your definition is wrong.
yes!!!

There is clearly good and bad, but America's influence on the planet, overall, has been positive, and it has been massive.

And it has overshadowed, by far, the influence that any other nation has had on the course of human history.

If that doesn't meet your definition of "exceptional," your definition is wrong.

Wow. What about the Roman Empire?

Wow. What about the Roman Empire?
The Romans didn't do as much, sorry...
Let's just take this little idea... I can talk to you, anywhere in the world, instantly... I can fly to see you in a matter of hours... I can nuke you in about the same period of time... or I can take pictures of you from space...

The Romans were amazing, but their inventions were, while hugely important, not as incredible.

Let's just take this little idea... I can talk to you, anywhere in the world, instantly... I can fly to see you in a matter of hours... I can nuke you in about the same period of time... or I can take pictures of you from space...

The Romans were amazing, but their inventions were, while hugely important, not as incredible.

I think that Roman inventions were quite groundbreaking at that time, and Romans thought that those inventions were just as incredible than what for example Internet is for us. Also scientific advances aren't IMO a really good way to measure the achievements of a nation.

The sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, and peace. :D

Right, but America brought the world such innovations as Jersey Shore, and I think we can all agree that all of those paltry developments pale in comparison to The Situation.

The Romans were quite important. We inherited out legal system from them, for starters. Dismissing the Roman importance in civilization as 'not doing much' is (insert selection of words that if I were to say them, would probably constitute a personal attack but I can't figure out a better way to phrase it.)

Right. Language, culture, art, politics, all those things pale in comparison to technology! Much of which we didn't even invent.

That's like saying the summit is more important than the mountain.

That's like saying the summit is more important than the mountain.
Except the mountain is still growing, and faster than ever. The Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, Chinese, Indians, Italians, etc, all make up the layers of the mountain. The Americans are one of the more recent additions to this mountain, and, given their preeminence in the world at this point and in the last 80-100 years, the most directly relevant to the future.

Yes. Most of the "mountain" was created during the last century.

Indisputable proof we are exceptional!

*Note that the Mexican attributes his weight gain to the sedentary lifestyle habits he acquired while living in the USA!

That's genuinely hilarious. The Roman Empire has already been mentioned and the British Empire stands in awe of their little colony doing some amazing things. I'm sure that people can come up with several other contenders for that most hyperbolic of statements.

Top Bottom