Do you have a favorite Monster?

Kyriakos

Creator
A monster, as in a fictional (mythical or later) depiction or concept of a being which is associated with fear.

It does seem that folklore died out in most places by the first half of the previous century. Both archaic and ancient, and later traditions up to WW1 (if one goes by the literature of that era, such as Arthur Machen and his popular concurrent myth of the Angels of Mons1, helping the british troops in the Great war) were producing various stories about local beings which were in the realm of the hidden and the dangerous.

Some types of monsters existed in various cultures, such as the Dragon, which was there in Greek and Roman mythology (as Drakon and Draco) and also in Eastern Asian mythology. Other monsters were more culture-dependent, like the Cyclops, or the Minotaur, and the Jin of the Arabic and Persian world, featured in the islamic golden age in stories such as the collection known as the 1001 nights (arabian nights).

The blinding of Polyphemus, as part of the decoration of an ancient Amphora:

Typhon, the largest and strongest of the enemies of the Olympian order, who even defeated Zeus and cut him up to many tiny pieces, was another very notable monster in Greek mythology and a great antagonist also to Heracles through his offspring:

A rather very expressive ancient depiction of Theseus killing the Minotaur:

A depiction of a Chinese Dragon:

-Feel free to mention your own favorite monsters from any realm of fiction/mythology. Just don't release the Kraken.

A monster, as in a fictional (mythical or later) depiction or concept of a being which is associated with fear.

It does seem that folklore died out in most places by the first half of the previous century. Both archaic and ancient, and later traditions up to WW1 (if one goes by the literature of that era, such as Arthur Machen and his popular concurrent myth of the Angels of Mons1, helping the british troops in the Great war) were producing various stories about local beings which were in the realm of the hidden and the dangerous.

I feel that such folklore only died out in the urbanized places of developed countries (except Japan, perhaps). Otherwise throughout the world such folklore still remains strong, in my opinion, at least that's the impression I get.

Yes.

My father would agree wholeheartedly, as well as half of the Vietnamese men a generation above me. A lot of my male professors too, for some reason.

I like some people's conception of Cthulhu, but have found the original source material a bit disappointing.

I like some people's conception of Cthulhu, but have found the original source material a bit disappointing.

I somewhat agree:

(As i had stated some time before) The Call of Cthulhu story, in my view, was great up to the point that Cthulhu becomes pushed back (so to speak) by a mere small ship hitting him. That ruined the tone of the story for me, moreso when the story is always based on the idea that Cthulhu was supposed to exist in the world of the story, not be just a hallucination.

Lovecraft similarily "ruins" (in my view) the end of the Dunwich Horror, due to having the sibling of Wilbur appear and be combated with some sort of spells. Too bad because the first half of that story (up to the end of Wilbur) is excellent in my view :)

My favorite Monster is Green.

I think our "monsters" have become human; IMO the biggest reason for that is that the average person doesn't feel threatened by the natural world, and monsters were generally respresentative of that.

Some sort of microbe, particularly one genetically-engineered to ravage particular groups.

I'll see your Kanye and raise you:

Top Bottom