Do you remember the time before the internet?

Do you remember the time before the internet?

• Total voters
I had an extensive VHS collection of episodes I taped every week.

VHS... my friends used to come to my house to watch my video-clip collection that I recorded on VHS. Whenever there was a good music video on MTV, I'd record it and make a compilation. Because not everybody had easy access to that stuff, whenever you had something unique, you could create a small social gathering. "Wanna come to my house? I got a Woodstock 1994 LaserDisc, and man, it's so cool! You have to see it!" Just like that, two or three of your friends would show up, while currently, that's something that's just a few clicks away.

So gaming for us meant actual gaming - either a roomful of people playing D&D or playing board games
Exactly. Activity that currently leaning more to isolate you from the community, used to be an activity that can be enjoy in a community setting or creating a humble social gathering among friends and family. Thinking about it again, because I wasn't always play by myself but also with others, I used to be able to play genre of games that I currently don't like or repulse like for instance football or other sport games (FIFA for instance), racing (Gran Turismo, Need For Speed), first person shooting (Counter Strike), even dancing games like Bust The Move which is very not me, but peoples play it so I just tag along, it become things that I would not do by my own and I only exclusively do in social gathering. Now, I just do what I like lol

My first long-term experience with the Internet was me making a deal with my parent about it. Had to log in during the night due to the price being -65 % at night hours, so I told them that I would be a night owl during the summer holidays, on the conditions that I would pay for the cost with my pocket money and I would switch back to day schedule in time. They were admitedly somewhat worried (and VERY tolerant, looking back on it) about letting a teenager going in alternative mode for two months.
Cost me something like 1000 € for the summer, but I did manage to respect my part and get fresh and ready for the next school year ^^
That's exactly what happened to me, I lost a million rupiah at that time, that's the money that I collect for a long time including a gift from my relatives and also things that I get from selling stuff at schools (I even sold my lunchbox, so I can buy a cheaper food at the canteen and profit), you can't really translate one million rupiah at that time with today rupiah but I'll put it into some perspective so you understand.

It was equal to 2 times of minimum salary in Jakarta at that time, I thought my sister salary was 500k per month working at the Bank as Customer Service, and I lost twice that amount, oh man that's really hurts. I wasn't as mature as you at that time, because I just can't believed my father would charge it as it is, just leave me empty with almost no money, I was hoping at least he spared some, but it's a great lesson anyway, makes me to think more carefully before making an agreement :p

That's exactly what happened to me, I lost a million rupiah at that time, that's the money that I collect for a long time including a gift from my relatives and also things that I get from selling stuff at schools (I even sold my lunchbox, so I can buy a cheaper food at the canteen and profit), you can't really translate one million rupiah at that time with today rupiah but I'll put it into some perspective so you understand.

It was equal to 2 times of minimum salary in Jakarta at that time,
That's certainly a lot of money for a teenager ^^
My parents were rather generous with pocket money so I could absorb the loss, but I certainly envisioned (and it was) a one-time thing. I obviously kept using Internet, but not in such binging manner.
I thought my sister salary was 500k per month working at the Bank as Customer Service, and I lost twice that amount, oh man that's really hurts. I wasn't as mature as you at that time, because I just can't believed my father would charge it as it is, just leave me empty with almost no money, I was hoping at least he spared some, but it's a great lesson anyway, makes me to think more carefully before making an agreement :p
Keeping your word has always been sacred to me. I think that's why my parents were actually so tolerant about my request. Trust is hard to get and easy to lose.

Born mid-eighties, didn't see The Internet until...96, maybe, when I spent the night with my best friend and he was showing off his dad's computer. Neither he nor I can remember the specifics, but I remember him having to connect an external modem and then dial into some server where there was a chatroom with fantasy-esque graphics. Maybe two years later I started going to a buddy's house who had the internet, and we'd take turns in Yahoo chatrooms and typing in any URL we'd found in the wild -- including a mis-remembered whitehouse.com. That's safe now, but back then it was...not. I got internet access at home in '99 or 2000 through one of those free dial-up ISPs, so we were on for maybe an hour or two at most per day, both because the free ISPs limited your time per month, and because it tied up the phone line. I remember being so proud when I realized I could use Windows' network connections utility to dial into the Netzero ISP and bypass their software. :lol: My pre-internet time was also pre-TV time because of the sect I was raised in -- holiness Pentecostalism that barred TV and 'worldy entertainment' like movie-going -- so I like to joke I was the last child of the sixties. I grew up running around outside, exploring the woods, reading, or making up stories with toys.

In 1983 I was in Business school and we switched from using the University's main frame to IBM PCs for computer work. There was no internet yet but my world changed and computers became part of it. I bought my first PC for home use in 1986. As dial up became available in 1992-93, we added it. IIRC we started with AOL. Then when Pipeline became available we switched to that. Buyouts moved us to Mindspring and Earthlink.

Was it expensive at your part of the world, too? It was here. When I was in second grade high school, I got hooked on an online game. I used my hard-earned savings to help my father pay the phone bills, and I couldn't believe how fast it drained my money.

But here's the problem I've realized (and feel free to disagree, this is just my perspective): many activities you now do alone were once social experiences with friends. Binge-watching Netflix replaced watching DVDs at your friend's place. Earphones and music streaming isolate you, while in the past, you might listen to your favorite album with friends in a car or on a boombox. Gaming before fast internet meant LAN parties or console multiplayer sessions. Of course, there was always space for individual enjoyment, but so many things were communal
Yeah I miss learning about new songs and games from friends instead of 'the algorithm'

Friendship was one of the few unmediated parts of life. People in ones life were important to learn from and listen to. Now we can just Google it.

And listen to whoever, whenever, that will discuss anything our little fingers can think to type and if we get bored we just click away.

Friendship was one of the few unmediated parts of life. People in ones life were important to learn from and listen to. Now we can just Google it.
True, people often see the Gen Z generation as some kind of weird alien that's fragile and complains too much, there are lots of memes about it. But they are born into an era where people are less dependent on others, not only for information but even for making money. Easy access to [information] pretty much "replaces" the need for physical intimacy with others. They grow up more alienated than millennials and Gen X could ever understand and pandemic multiply that factor to a greater number. It's not because they lack mental strength, but due to the disjointed and isolated society in which they live and grow, leading to a life of loneliness, insecurity, and depression.

I kind of made this hypothesis while interacting in this thread and contemplating yours and others' commentaries. Being Gen Z is not easy. So many things that we are taking for granted back then, and we brag as if we enjoy it as some kind of a struggle and difficulty that they don't need to suffer due to technological comfort that they have now, may actually a luxury that they never have.

In the end, human and interaction with other human is much more luxurious than say, fancy device or smart human-like AI.

It's a human need to feel useful & as people see themselves as less useful & they become less useful.

I'm nearly 45 and when I go online & see so, so much content, so much better than I can ever make, by people much more talented, who put in much more effort that I could be bothered to muster, it's hard to think I can compete with that. I can't imagine how someone who's grown up in that would feel.

Globalization has destroyed so many small businesses now AI is coming to replace even very skilled workers. What is even the point of humans anymore? Do we even like each other?

When I was a kid if you'd rather spend time on a computer or reading books you were considered a nerd. It's bullying, it's ignorant, but it's also understandable, the nerd looks outside himself @ his peers and says to himself "meh, I can do better than you lot", and he's probably right of course.

But now we're all nerds, we all stare at computers all day, the nerd sought out better peers in the authors he choose when the others chatted with each other, told rumors, played handball, now everyone listens to people "better" than their peers and types gossip about people they don't even know & never will. We have the option to check out from day to day reality and we take it (even our conversation here is an example of that).

And we wonder why kids today are so anxious. Humans have always wondered, "what is my purpose?" but then they had to get on with things, they hunted, gathered, farmed, built stuff or bartered for it. Before you had the time to worry about being useful someone would ask for your help or give you tasks. Now it's a legit question. "What am I good for?" and they're having trouble with coming up with proper answers. This is painful of course and thus they dive deeper into the sea of distractions.

Do we even like each other?
I'm a very critical person, I wouldn't hold back in judging both myself and others. With that said, I'm not even sure if I like myself entirely—there's a gap between who I am and who I wish to be. It's not due to high expectations, but the fact that I know I can be better with a bit more effort, and I'm far from impressed with my effort lol but I like myself as well.

I view others similarly, there are pro and cons, I got a friend whom if I call now and told him I need his help, he will back me up, and if we meet up I can spend hours after hours just conversing, but at the same time he is a highly impulsive and insecure person who can turn on anyone if he felt threaten, so far I feel like I can handle him, know which button should I push, and he has a considerable respect toward me that whenever I think he start crossing the boundary and I got stern he would not double down, even though he can I'm nothing compare to him, but after that our relationship will be awkward for awhile. Ultimately, I can appreciate and accept my friends as I do myself, as long as I know how to handle or tolerate their negative traits and while able to keep them away from crossing my boundary, if those conditioned are met that's already awesome, if not I will push them away.

I remember having no internet. We spent more time watching tv or doing sports outside. I remember stumbling over Harry Knowles' AintItCoolNews film website and thinking to myself: 'this must be what the internet was invented for.' :lol:

Nope, just a little younger than the Tim Berners-Lee internet. But I sure as hell remember the pre-mobile internet. God, smartphones ruined this place.
Oh yes, people don't know how to log off anymore.
But here's the problem I've realized (and feel free to disagree, this is just my perspective): many activities you now do alone were once social experiences with friends.
This is true, we've become isolated and compartmentalised.
We had a computer in primary school, which we occasionally used, but no scheduled lessons.
I remember that at the time it was so important that there were computing lessons in schools and of course there was a neverending guerilla war which featured students trying to install Doom on everything and of course the bloke in charge trying to uninstall it to free space up for useful non-Doom things.

The elementary school computers likely only had Karateka installed ^^

1709419709313.png

We also had that helicopter (iirc?) game. But I am not sure I played either of the games.
In the first year, there was also some dreadful winter olympics (or similar), and I remember that a bunch of kids pressed all the keys to get the sprite to avoid falling to some chasm in the snow. But the teacher wasn't happy - the keyboard might be damaged in that way.

Neither the poll nor English has the right word for my answer to the question, but German does - "jein". A combination of yes and no.

On a literal level, no, the Internet technically existed before my first long-term memories. But that's technical. From a practical standpoint, I didn't have significant amounts of Internet availability at home (i.e. not strictly hour-limited dial-up) until about a year before I joined CivFanatics, when I was still in high school. So I remember a time before having significant Internet availability, but I don't remember a time before significant Internet availability as an adult. Which is perhaps an important distinction.

So the concept of fourth-graders having smartphones is foreign to me. We went to school, learned, and walked to and from school (which was not in fact uphill both ways, it was pretty flat in reality). The library had encyclopedias, card files, and lots of books. Phone books were practical tools, as were address books. Not that I made much use of the latter two, but I saw my parents doing so.

But as an adult? I've always had MapQuest. Restaurant reviews online have always existed. At some point Darwinian fitness became more about being able to write a compelling OKCupid bio, or finding a talented photographer friend to take Tinder pictures, than meeting someone through real life activities. And booking airline tickets has always been about using an aggregator website like Kayak and then seeing if I can get a better price on the best option through the official site.

I'm kind of nostalgic for that past that I never really experienced. I appreciate when hotels have newspapers in the lobby, which is increasingly rare (or, even more rarely, newspapers delivered to the room in the morning); it's a much better accompaniment to breakfast than scrolling on a phone. I recently did a two-day trip where I left my computer at home (and I'm the rare type that does 90% of my Internet browsing on a real computer, not a phone), and as I was about to leave I realized I hadn't looked at the map of the route, just plugged it into the GPS. I always like to have an idea of the route rather than blindly following the GPS, so I got out my Rand McNally and plotted the route. Even though the atlas is a bit out of date, it was easy to determine which highways to take and which exit I'd need. I had a late dinner at a pub-style joint and stayed a bit late to try a Scottish ale and people-watch; no conversations emerged this time but sometimes they do. And after I checked in to the hotel, I wound down by reading the book I'd brought with me, before heading out for more outdoor activities after breakfast the next day.

That's a slightly idealized version of the trip as I did text some friends while at the pub, something decidedly 21st-century. Though I've noticed over the past couple years that reflecting on life over a pint at a pub, without CivFanatics a tab away, without a laptop where I can do something "productive", is remarkably good at making me think, "who haven't I reached out to lately that I should reconnect with?" I guess it speaks to what Birdjaguar said about the pace of life; slowing down has its benefits.

(Post split into two sections due to length)

The Internet certainly has its benefits, like the airline-booking example. It can make it easier to find information as well, although I find that local travel guides are still quite informative as well. I swung by the local National Park on that two-day trip, and found some great information that would have taken a lot longer to glean online, including some recommendations for my preferences from a ranger who has spent decades in the area.

Someone mentioned that pre-Internet, it was necessary to remember an idea and then consider which references to look it up in; I feel that's still the case to some extent. It does help that phones have "Notes" applications to preserve the idea (and then forget you wrote a note), but there's still an element of knowing where to look, especially for more niche factual information. In one recent example for me, I'd had some geological questions about an area I'd explored, and had earlier tried and failed to learn more about it from the Internet. I tried again recently, and found some digitized documents from the 1950s on a government website that answered my questions. I suspect that I would have found the answer much more quickly had I asked a librarian local to that area, or written to a professor of geology at a nearby college. But on the plus side, the Internet did enable me to eventually learn what I wanted to learn (to some level of depth) even after returning home.

It's the societal effects that really make me question whether the Internet is a net benefit. It is cool that you can find others with similar interests, yet if anything the Internet seems to have increased tribalism, perhaps as an unintended side effect of that benefit. And just the effects of that less-social, more-indoors, less-disconnected-time development process on society. My social skills would likely have been better if I were born 20 years earlier just because of being forced to go out more to seek out activities, and then I remember that there are people born 20 years later than I was, potentially having a mobile phone with internet access since first grade, that will be adults by the end of the decade.

We're in a big social experiment. Which you could argue is not new; take railroads in 1850 versus the lack of them in 1800s, for example, and the "intellectual contagions" that spread in the industrial 1800s and first half of the 1900s - anarchism, communism, and fascism in particular, and republicanism if you were a monarchist. But the electronic entertainment revolution, first at home (radio/TV/computer-based Internet) and now everywhere (mobile phones) seems like it could have different set of effects. Always before, you still had to go to the cafe/bowling alley/bar for entertainment and socialization, and sometimes technology made that easier (e.g. streetcars). The recent changes enable and to a large extent encourage going in the opposite direction.

The internet without social media would have probably been nicer, but given who we are, unlikely.

I grew up running around outside, exploring the woods, reading, or making up stories with toys.
Same here. Except for exploring the woods. I wasn't allowed to do that, since the area where our acreage was had enough wilderness left that anyone wandering in the woods might have encountered a bobcat or coyote.

It's a human need to feel useful & as people see themselves as less useful & they become less useful.

I'm nearly 45 and when I go online & see so, so much content, so much better than I can ever make, by people much more talented, who put in much more effort that I could be bothered to muster, it's hard to think I can compete with that. I can't imagine how someone who's grown up in that would feel.

Globalization has destroyed so many small businesses now AI is coming to replace even very skilled workers. What is even the point of humans anymore? Do we even like each other?

When I was a kid if you'd rather spend time on a computer or reading books you were considered a nerd. It's bullying, it's ignorant, but it's also understandable, the nerd looks outside himself @ his peers and says to himself "meh, I can do better than you lot", and he's probably right of course.

But now we're all nerds, we all stare at computers all day, the nerd sought out better peers in the authors he choose when the others chatted with each other, told rumors, played handball, now everyone listens to people "better" than their peers and types gossip about people they don't even know & never will. We have the option to check out from day to day reality and we take it (even our conversation here is an example of that).

And we wonder why kids today are so anxious. Humans have always wondered, "what is my purpose?" but then they had to get on with things, they hunted, gathered, farmed, built stuff or bartered for it. Before you had the time to worry about being useful someone would ask for your help or give you tasks. Now it's a legit question. "What am I good for?" and they're having trouble with coming up with proper answers. This is painful of course and thus they dive deeper into the sea of distractions.
I've concluded that part of my purpose has been to give cats a good life that they wouldn't have otherwise had (most were strays, one was feral). I also joined a FB group dedicated to writing fanfiction, and my role there seems to be encouraging the others, when they get discouraged or if they have questions like "Is it weird if I have my characters do ______?". I also advocate for disabled voters' rights, because an awful lot of people don't think we have any, or they never consider the possible barriers (literal in some cases, when a polling station is located on the second floor and the elevator doesn't work).

there's a gap between who I am and who I wish to be
:hug:

This is true of most people, I think. If I were who I wished to be, I'd be quite different in some ways (still a cat lady and penguin enthusiast, though).

We had sone gold mine gane and where in the world is Carmen San Diego
My first introduction to Carmen Sandiego was the kids' geography game show on PBS. I was absolutely addicted to that in the '90s. If I didn't have typing to do, my afternoon would consist of watching my soap (One Life to Live, in those days) and Carmen Sandiego, where I'd wonder what shenanigans Rockapella would come up with in that day's episode (30 years later, Scott Leonard is still with Rockapella).

So the concept of fourth-graders having smartphones is foreign to me. We went to school, learned, and walked to and from school (which was not in fact uphill both ways, it was pretty flat in reality). The library had encyclopedias, card files, and lots of books. Phone books were practical tools, as were address books. Not that I made much use of the latter two, but I saw my parents doing so.
I miss phone books. I especially miss them when I've forgotten the phone number for the store where I take my computer when it's not working and I can't look it up in a phone book because there's no phone book and I can't look it up online because I can't get online. So I'd phone someone and ask them to look up the number for me, a favor that they regard as really bizarre.

The internet without social media would have probably been nicer, but given who we are, unlikely.
You don't need social media to be rude. Back in pre-FB days, there was one really rude woman on the first gaming forum I was on, I called her on it, and she smirked, "Isn't being rude what the internet is all about?"

That said, FB has let me keep in touch with two of the four people from that first forum that I'm still on good terms with. Way back when MySpace was actually useful, I had a conversation with Kevin J. Anderson about his awful books. He had the idea that it was acceptable to scamper around referring to us as "Talifans" for not liking his books. I told him that all he was accomplishing was to alienate the people who disliked them for very legitimate reasons and were not the same people who regularly attacked him on social media (even to bringing his family into it, which definitely crosses a line). The conversation ended amicably. He offered me a free copy of one of his other books, I said thank you, and never took him up on that offer. But at least he knows that there's at least one of the founding members of the Orthodox Herbertarians who isn't as nasty as the rest of them.

Top Bottom