Double Your Pleasure

Sorry for disturbing and wasting your time, but I need your help in modding for PTW, because I do know, that you have such experience.
Now, I'm creating a little mod for PTW (yes, I do know, that it as a very old version, but I love it!), and want to create some types of units, that can make production in the city faster or even complete it in one turn.
Actually, I want to have two such units.
The first one must give some shields to city after disbanding it inside the city. But originally, only 1/4 of shields, used for building of this unit are added to the city. Is it possible to change this rate? (And can disbanding of units cause unhappiness?)
The second one must complete building in city, such as Leader. But presence of this unit in the game must not cause any harm for functions of the Leader.
And it would be perfect, if both of these units could be captured and used by opponent (such as workers, cannons, e.t.c.)
So, I need your advisory, because in the early versions of DYP such features took place. Can you help me and tell, how to create such units in the Civ3PTW Editor? I will be very grateful.

P.S. Yes, I do know, that my English is far from perfect. Sorry... And don't kick me please.

This question should be placed in Civ3 - Creation & Customisation main forum. There are manu other modders who will be happy to answer your modding questions. :)

Should I download this or Rise and Rule?

I mean, isn't R&R the "newer" version?

Well it depends: DYP is "finished" w/invisible units functional RaR-no. I have enjoyed both but w/little to no modding skills, I find DYP is loaded on my machine while RaR has zip files.

DYP as downloaded from the DYP site doesn't work

Well it works but there are big problems with it.
First, it says to go to the civ3 site for the full download and its not there but i can live with that
secondly the units are wrong. Instead of balloons the AI gets bombers!
The program falls over when you get to bi planes with a missing ini file but i fixed that, instead of looking for bi plane the mod is looking for a Me262! wtf! then when i got to tanks it fell over again trying to find tiger II! I again tried to fix this but now the mod hangs.

Does anyone have a complete and working DYP mod for Civ 3PTV? I am so frustrated

to continue for clarification, the Pediaicons file contains this excerp:
Stealth Fighter
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Stealth_Bomber
Stealth Bomber
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Biplane
ME262
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Fighter
Fighter
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Jet_Fighter
Jet Fighter

You see what i mean? its the same for tank:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Tank
Tiger II
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Armor
Tank
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Panzer
Panzer

it supposed to be the first type of tank not a freak'n Tiger!

Is this the file where i can fix this up?

to continue for clarification, the Pediaicons file contains this excerp:
Stealth Fighter
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Stealth_Bomber
Stealth Bomber
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Biplane
ME262
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Fighter
Fighter
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Jet_Fighter
Jet Fighter

You see what i mean? its the same for tank:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Tank
Tiger II
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Armor
Tank
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Panzer
Panzer

it supposed to be the first type of tank not a freak'n Tiger!

Is this the file where i can fix this up?

I'd be happy to help, but I need to know exactly which version of Civ3 you have - you mention its PTW, but is that the 'Game of the Year' edition or some other later compilation pack? Also, I'm unsure what you mean by "it says to go to the civ3 site for the full download and its not there" - if you do have Civ3 PTW, you'd need to download "Full 2.02 x" which can be found at our site here.

But, lets clarify whether you really have the 'true' PTW version first as there's been so many differences between the different releases of PTW and Conquests that it's really a jungle (especially when its been at least 5 years since i had any of them installed.)

.. oh, and "Tiger II" is a tank, not a tiger. ;)

thats where i downloaded the mod from. it is 2.02 from there. the website there somewhere says that i had to go to the civ3 website to get all of the icons that are missing from the download.

So 2.02 is corrupted as you can see.

And i know its a tank :) A rather good German one.

You are getting that message because either you have only installed the Patch version (which updates the mod from 2.01 to 2.02), or because the mod didnt get installed to the folder where Civ3 PTW needs it to be. The message you're seeing is what came off the original Civ3PTW disc, where we had to remove all non-firaxis artwork because of some last-minute scaredy-pants in the Atari PR department - you do not get that message if you have the 'Full 2.02x' correctly installed.

Please make sure you get the file named Full 2.02x installed (Not just the patch version) and make sure you don't load the 1.00 (or 1.01) version that came off the disc when you run the mod.

hmm ok well this is the mod i downloaded DYP2.02x_Full_PTW.exe. and i followed the installation instructions on the webpage implicitly. As this is installed on my other PC , I'll check tonight where DYP is installed (im pretty sure its in C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Scenarios

From what you have said, it sounds like it is using the DYP from the disc and not the one i downloaded. I may have to delete everything and reload again. But i did search for that Pediaicons file and it appears to be from the one i downloaded.

strange

Thanks for the help but I'm a big civ 3 fan, been palying civ since it first came out (still got the floppys). I used to play DYP all the time. So i'm coming back to the game and just what to play DYP again (I hate Civ 4, they took all the game play out) :)

ok sussed it out :)

Im using windows 7 for the first time (new pc) I put the data in program files when i should have put it in program files (x86)

it works now!
YAY

I'm on civ3 vanilla. I tried the mod, and didn't like it. I tried uninstalling civ3 (twice, including deleting all the files), and system restore. How do I take it out?

I was extremely tired of the linear playing with first expanding, then building up a big army, then... etc, so I tried DyP and it actually made Civ3 really fun again. It also made me realize that the game designers of Civ3 did a really poor job. Sometimes it's like they wanted to take the fun out of playing :(

Some of the things i don't know how i survived without is 1 city per army, lots of more buildings for defeating corruption but harder to expand because of food and settler cost, caps on sliders, higher tech tree so you have more chance of trading techs with others, no support cost and no culture for shrines, monuments, more food/shields/gold variation in terrain, veteran units from palace city, more "attack from sea"-units, more interesting sea battles, more bombardment units.

Thanks.

You are getting that message because either you have only installed the Patch version (which updates the mod from 2.01 to 2.02), or because the mod didnt get installed to the folder where Civ3 PTW needs it to be. The message you're seeing is what came off the original Civ3PTW disc, where we had to remove all non-firaxis artwork because of some last-minute scaredy-pants in the Atari PR department - you do not get that message if you have the 'Full 2.02x' correctly installed.

Please make sure you get the file named Full 2.02x installed (Not just the patch version) and make sure you don't load the 1.00 (or 1.01) version that came off the disc when you run the mod.
Isak,

Amazing! You're still providing support for the mod. Now that's what I call customer service! Cheers, mate.

I think I screwed up by basing my strategy on capturing the GL from the mongols.

In PTW, you can't transport land units over ocean without Magnetism, and Education is needed for Magnetism. Does this mean it's impossible to get techs from a captured GL when you have ocean between your civ and the city that built it?

Am i missing something, maybe a loophole somewhere, or is this a fact?

Happy holidays.

EDIT: Never mind, my caravels can travel ocean without magnetism. Must be an error in the civilopedia.

I just dloaded Civ3: Complete via steam. I am using windows 7. What version of the DyP should I download?

Also, what is the difference between the DyP mod that comes with Civ3 Complete (under the Civ3 Content tab) and the downloadable version?

You should download Rise and Rule. DyP is technically not compatible with Conquests/Complete. Rise and Rule is the Conquest/Complete version of DyP.

Top Bottom