[BTS] Earth 20/20

Here's the new tech tree from the Industrial Era onwards. Pre-industrial is pretty much the same, just with two or three early on from Legends of Revolution.
upload_2020-11-27_16-25-26.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking of changing up the unit, and maybe building balancing a bit. The change from "Fork" to 20/20 was partially to reel back the really big changes I was making in the former, but strictly staying with the base game's balancing and tacking on new units runs the risk of redundant and useless units. The main downside would be cutting out pre-renaissance techs and units, which would kill the 2010 scenario and any save games, and would make some extra work for me in clearing out references in many xml files.

Edit: thinking about it more I'll go forward with this but retain all pre-indsustrial units in a seperate unitcombat. They'll still need to go eventually but this would keep things simpler in the short term

Here's what I'm thinking, if anyone wants to give feedback
Spoiler :

UNITCOMBAT_AIR
-maybe split into Fighter and Bomber unitcombats (low priority)

UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER
-change to "Entrenched", put the pure counter units into it (AT, SAM, etc)

UNITCOMBAT_ARMOR
-basically the same as vanilla, maybe add gpt cost. Really good when attacking in most cases, less so defending

UNITCOMAT_GUNPOWDER
-change to "Light Infantry" or "Elite Infantry" and put Marines, Paratroopers, etc in here. They get to keep the "ignore city defense". Not great at defense themselves, compared to Infantry and the like.

UNITCOMBAT_HELICOPTER
-basically the same as vanilla, maybe add gpt cost

UNITCOMBAT_MELEE
-call this one "Gunpowder" or "Line Infantry". Riflemen, Infantry, Modern Infantry now go here. Bonus vs Light Infantry

UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED
-Mobile, Motorized, Mechanized Infantry go here. They inherit flanking damage from horse units. Mechanized and better might get bonuses vs Helicopters.

UNITCOMBAT_NAVAL
-Submarines definitely splitting off, might also split off Carrier and Transports as "Force Projection"

UNITCOMBAT_RECON
-Might call this one "tactical". Units like SpecOps and Terrorists go here. Strength will go down a bit, but they'll keep invisibility and get mega bonuses vs "Entrenched" and Siege units.

UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE
-basically the same, but now they get +95% withdrawal when attacking

Last edited:
Naval rework preview. Unit credits in spoiler
Spoiler :

Column 1
-Fast Attack Craft - Snafusmith
-Patrol Craft - unknown, taken from dacubz145's TTT
-Unmanned Destroyer - Deliverator

Column 2
-Corvette - GeneralMatt
-Modern Frigate - unknown, from TTT
-Littoral Ship - The Coyote

Column 3
-Destroyer - kine100
-AAW Destroyer - "frigate" from RtW
-Stealth Destroyer

Column 4
-Battleship
-Missile Cruiser
-Stealth Cruiser - MightyToad

Column 5
-Submarine
-Attack Sub
-Missile Sub

Column 6
-Transport
-Carrier - either Coyote or WalterHawkwood
-Supercarrier

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-2_16-23-43.png
    upload_2021-1-2_16-23-43.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 89
  • upload_2021-1-2_16-23-51.png
    upload_2021-1-2_16-23-51.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 82
Impressive project! As someone who is hosting Earth 2010 PBEM for 7 humans that is going strong after 8 years of real time playing I definitely encourage your efforts! May I ask why exactly did you remove python events from virus and terrorist?

Thanks Tigranes, in fact I've been following the history of your PBEM. For the terrorist and virus python, I removed them because they were causing some weird errors I didn't want to deal with (they worked fine in a test with the BUG/DCM base that GEM uses but it didn't translate for some reason). I plan on putting them back in eventually.

I'm having some major issues with a CTD on turn 1 of the 2017 scenario that I can't seem to pin down. There's no python error pop ups, nor any MAF popup from windows. It happens on team 2's (Russia) turn, and causes the music to stutter for a sec before crashing. However, it's not due to something going on with Russia, at least exclusively; if you delete all but the first 5 teams (everyone past and including the UK), the crash doesn't trigger.

I've excluded the following factors as being the culprit:
-Leader AI or buildings (removed all units, no crash)
-Diplomacy (like a team having open borders with itself. Reset all the relations and deals, and still crash)
-Unit art (changed all units' art to infantry, still crash)
-New UNITCLASS (changed all units to normal civ4 units, still crash)
-Sounds (sound error noted in logs and fixed, still crash)

The one most probable cause I could think of was there being some sort of relatively low hard limit to the number of units on the map in the DCM/BUG framework that I'm using, which would be pretty bad, but not impossible to deal with. This isn't it either, because I tested this theory out in GEM, and having 3000+ total units on the WW2 map didn't cause it to crash.

Anyone here have an idea on some failure points I could be missing here?

I do really enjoy your hard work GreatLordofPie: been having a blast with this modpack for months. I remember playing Hunger Games alot when I was younger as well: you make excellent mods.

For failure points, have you tried deleting Russia only as a team, just to double-check that it's not an isolated crash? You probably have, but I just would appreciate clarification.

That really means a lot, thank you so much Sanchez.
It's definitely not Russia, if I delete them, I still have the crash. If I delete everyone except the first 4 teams which includes Russia, no crash.
I'll probably do a deep dive on art this week, specifically buttons, because wrong settings there can apparently mess stuff up.

I managed to figure out the crash. Going ahead with playtesting. Biggest thing is getting the tech speed and culture balance right.

Great work on this mod! I just tested 1.1 on Emperor: I really like the more balanced tech/cultural curve. The original 2010 had Russia blow everyone including America out of the water in a few turns, but here the curve is much more "realistic" and balanced while remaining challenging. Would it be possible to know what you will be working on next in terms of this mod?

Mostly flavour stuff like shifting around the unique units to their "proper" spots (F-22 replaces stealth fighter instead of normal jet). The 2 biggest gameplay changes are a revamp of the Special Forces, and re-adding Stone, Marble, and Silver as "future" resources (asteroids, lithium, and rare earth metals respectively)
Also I'm still not 100% happy with China's balance, so I might give them a couple more coastal cities

New update posted

Mod changes
-Added new World Unit: TF 141 (inherits old Special Forces stats)
-Air Unique Units now replace the proper unit (F-22 replaces Stealth Fighter instead of Jet Fighter, Tu-95 replaces standard bomber instead of Stealth Bomber)
-Nerfed Special Forces
-Rebalanced UCAV, Supercarrier, AT units
-new promos for Recon and Trench units
-Removed incompatible building prereqs for units - instead they require a certain level of "Military Industry" to build (just cheap buildings that themselves require a certain level of industry to build)
-Rebalnced Launch Pad, Airbase, Spaceport, Sea Factory
-3 obsolete resources repurposed into future resources (Lithium, Rare Earth Metals, and Meteor"
-Rebalanced modern improvements
Map changes (2017)
-Nuclear powers have access to Uranium
-5 new cities - 3 to China, 1 to USA, 1 to Japan
-Added Aerospace and Launchpads where appropriate
-Reduced industry in cities with less than 10 pop

For more detailed info, check the changelog in post #2

Been really enjoying the update so far! I look forward to seeing what Broken Star stuff you're going to put in. Is there a way to build an Extreme Climate Cottage after researching Social Justice? I've researched all of the way to Archology in my past games, but I couldn't even build one even on a flatland.

I forgot to add that to the buildlist for workers...oops, it will work next update.

For Broken Star, I'll be importing the civs and maybe some of the cut content, and having a global scenario set in 2010 or 2011 that explores the effects on the global stage. Expect breaking alliances and far more nuclear proliferation.

As for other things, the big mechanic change will be how corporations consume resources

Last edited:
Thanks! Also, nice! How's development going by the way? Been wanting to keep up with development. Also will we be able to buy merc units like in Broken Star?

I'm weighing the pros and cons of forking development into fr1po's Advanced Civ mod or keldath's derivative. GEM is is brilliant but really showing its age. There will be at least one more update in this iteration.

Top Bottom