[NFP] Ethiopia Pack Patch Notes Discussion

What I like about it though is that even if you don’t get any initially , you can still build up the appeal and benefit. It encourages a slightly different play style, or you can be lucky and have a really great opening salvo.

Which is also what I like about Peach Cathy, I won my last game with four theatre squares, and about 120 tourism per turn. I had four production heavy cities running the project solely and they we generating a combined total of 1600 culture and tourism every 10-20 turns, while the rest of my cities were as normal (science, military etc).

It opens up a completely different way of playing the culture game that no other Civ can replicate until Rock Bands, and that’s exactly what I love in an ability.

Well, so, 120 Tourism from your four cities and then 1600 Tourism every 10 turns is only a total of 280 Tourism per turn. That seems very low to me. What difficulty level do you play on for that to work?

Of course, you could employ the same strategy with more cities. If we use the same numbers, then 10 cities would give you 700 Tourism per turn, which might be enough to win if you start early enough and if you don't have any good culture opponents. But, it's probably even better than that because 10 cities are more likely to have excess luxury copies, too!

Well, so, 120 Tourism from your four cities and then 1600 Tourism every 10 turns is only a total of 280 Tourism per turn. That seems very low to me. What difficulty level do you play on for that to work?

Of course, you could employ the same strategy with more cities. If we use the same numbers, then 10 cities would give you 700 Tourism per turn, which might be enough to win if you start early enough and if you don't have any good culture opponents. But, it's probably even better than that because 10 cities are more likely to have excess luxury copies, too!

Haha indeed! This was emperor, and the 120 TPT was from my actual great works. What I didn’t realise was that when flight hit, all the +2 culture my luxuries were getting from the LA started generating their own tourism, so that made an impact.

I was experimenting with lower amounts cities running the projects while the other cities were business as usual, and my opponents were some friends who were similarly trying different strategies with Teddy and Menelik, so it’s definitely an illustrative example! I’ll wait for the smart boffins to come up with best ways to capitalise on it :)

But I think the point stands, it gives a way to do a completely different type of Culture victory, which I think is so cool. And much better then getting just flat yields for just existing. It’s an engine, once you start hitting the projects, it rocket fuels you to Rock Bands, and the combination of the two is potent. Potent enough that I don’t think you even need to beeline to Theatre Squares, you can make a decent infrastructure and then use the project to catch up.

Thats 400 per city. So if Bull Moose is getting 20-40 culture in one city from his LA then I’m seriously missing something. It would be more if I had more luxury copies. I imagine there will be smarter people who could figure out how best to optimise it but I’m going to win my Immortal game quite handily, but I could give a deity a roll and see how it fares.

Still not seeing the “nowhere near Bull Moose Teddy”. In the three games I’ve played as Catherine, my friend has played Bull Moose and they have had 0 starts where his ability worked. America has no starting bias so it’s literally a crap shoot. He was able to get his appeal up so he got the bonuses. It was great, but didn’t propel his early game.

And again, I’m not arguing Magnificence Catherine is the new omglolz queen of deity. I’m saying her new LA is solid, reliable and the best of the current Frances.

20-40 in your "good core cities" is very doable with Liang's ultimate promotion actually. Moreover, you can take Voidsingers with Earth Goddess to boot.
Did you get early Reyna? You kind of have to with Moose. Thing is this set of bonuses come online way before theatre square projects.

Yes, she does it better than Black Queen (and so, better of the Frances) but then again Black Queen has absolutely no culture bonuses. There is a bug which gives you 65536 copies of a luxury (cause unknown) so if you manage to get it to work then yes she is very "OP"

I'll admit that if you get a desert start or empty tundra without any plant life, there is nothing in it for Moose, but any start with jungle or rainforest or features in general will work. The question is can you discover 2 SS quickly to get Reyna in there. Once the initial culture snowball is started, the Liang promotions can easily be obtained. Have Liang put 3 city parks around your city center (so the city center and the 3 other 1st ring tiles get the breathtaking bonus right away) and that will do until they grow to size 4 (and they don't need any districts to be useful, but districts are the icing on the cake). You'd be surprised how quickly you fly through both trees without any districts.

Thats 400 per city. So if Bull Moose is getting 20-40 culture in one city from his LA then I’m seriously missing something. It would be more if I had more luxury copies. I imagine there will be smarter people who could figure out how best to optimise it but I’m going to win my Immortal game quite handily, but I could give a deity a roll and see how it fares.

Still not seeing the “nowhere near Bull Moose Teddy”. In the three games I’ve played as Catherine, my friend has played Bull Moose and they have had 0 starts where his ability worked. America has no starting bias so it’s literally a crap shoot. He was able to get his appeal up so he got the bonuses. It was great, but didn’t propel his early game.

And again, I’m not arguing Magnificence Catherine is the new omglolz queen of deity. I’m saying her new LA is solid, reliable and the best of the current Frances.

Actually, America now has a starting bias for mountains (or possible only Bull Moose teddy does). It's in one of the new files in teddy roosevelt's files in the DLC folder.

Others have pointed this out, but I wanted to add: Winning as Ethiopia does not give the achievement. Has anyone got the achievement?

What about the Two Teddys or Magnificence Cathy? Have you got achievements for those wins?

Does the Ethiopia pack included the persona thing as well ? Or is the persona thing just for frontier pass?

Others have pointed this out, but I wanted to add: Winning as Ethiopia does not give the achievement. Has anyone got the achievement?

What about the Two Teddys or Magnificence Cathy? Have you got achievements for those wins?
are you playing in SS mode? Or normal GS?

Actually, America now has a starting bias for mountains (or possible only Bull Moose teddy does). It's in one of the new files in teddy roosevelt's files in the DLC folder.
Start biases are Civ specific only and can't be set by Leader. If you have the TR persona then the start biases included in his file are applied to the Civ has a whole, which would be both versions. If you don't have the persona pack then there are no start biases set in the base game files for America.

So haven't played new Catherine yet (and she will be a culture powerhouse), but my first impressions is this release boosts the culture game (both generation of culture and winning cultural games) in pretty severe ways.

First, secret societies (obviously optional) - Secret societies are pretty fantastic for early game in general, as you can get very earlier Pingala + culture and/or science boost. Political Philosophy by turn 40 seems like the norm, rather than a crazy exception now. Beyond that, Void Singers are great for culture. I've been making their monument replacement first build in new cities - +2 culture is nice, but it's the great work slot that is super valuable for culture wins. Now you have a place to put the extra books, art, and music you inevitably generate. You can move books around to expand borders in newer cities faster. Plus the +4 faith generates extra +0.8 science and culture after medieval era. That's not trivial across 10 cities. And the faith itself solves the problem of having no religion - build those naturalists or rock bands later even when you have no religion and aren't playing a civ that generates faith organically (Kupe or Mansa). Extra great work slot combined with Eleanor should be fun. The Industrial age void singer ability to reduce loyalty and generate more religious works seems lovely, but my culture games barely make it into industrial age, so I'm not sure how useful they are (except in a long game - say deity with opponents that are also going for culture so you 500 tourists to win, rather than 200).

Second, Bull Moose Teddy is great, even if you don't try to focus on appeal and national parks. Just the occasional +2 culture/science is pretty great early. You shouldn't really make it to film studios for them to make much of a difference, but the appeal stuff alone is a fairly big boost, unless you are just lacking mountains on your map.

Third, Ethiopia is now my favorite vanilla culture civ. Between void singers monument and rock-hewn churches, you can generate a lot of faith without religion. And 35% of that faith will translate into culture and science. Ethiopia can win culture victories without building a single campus, if they want to. Oh, and faith buying arch museums and archs. Ay, yi, yi. It's boring, but Ethiopia is now the simplest civ to play for cultural victory if you understand classical age golden era monumentality expansion as you can just build void singer monument, theater district, ampitheater and faith buy arch museum and archeologist in new cities and basically ignore everything else.

What I like about it though is that even if you don’t get any initially , you can still build up the appeal and benefit. It encourages a slightly different play style, or you can be lucky and have a really great opening salvo.

Which is also what I like about Peach Cathy, I won my last game with four theatre squares, and about 120 tourism per turn. I had four production heavy cities running the project solely and they we generating a combined total of 1600 culture and tourism every 10-20 turns, while the rest of my cities were as normal (science, military etc).

It opens up a completely different way of playing the culture game that no other Civ can replicate until Rock Bands, and that’s exactly what I love in an ability.

And yeah, I have to do this. There are always periods in my culture games where there's some spare hammers in several cities.

Start biases are Civ specific only and can't be set by Leader. If you have the TR persona then the start biases included in his file are applied to the Civ has a whole, which would be both versions. If you don't have the persona pack then there are no start biases set in the base game files for America.

If anyone is curious, here's the XML:
Code:
    <StartBiasTerrains>
    <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_DESERT_MOUNTAIN" Tier="5"/>
        <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS_MOUNTAIN" Tier="3"/>
        <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_PLAINS_MOUNTAIN" Tier="3"/>
        <Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA" TerrainType="TERRAIN_TUNDRA_MOUNTAIN" Tier="5"/>
    </StartBiasTerrains>

yea I think you have to play Ethiopia in normal mode to get the achievement

Is that unique to just this one achievement? I got a "win as X leader" achievement the other day with secret societies enabled.

I notice, by the way, that on the loading screen, the Ethiopian leader is referred to as "Menelik Ii" rather than Menelik II. So he can join poor old Pedro Ii as a representative of the Ii dyansty. Did no-one actually notice this in testing, or did no-one feel bothered to fix it?

I notice, by the way, that on the loading screen, the Ethiopian leader is referred to as "Menelik Ii" rather than Menelik II. So he can join poor old Pedro Ii as a representative of the Ii dyansty. Did no-one actually notice this in testing, or did no-one feel bothered to fix it?

I'm sure that it's at the bottom of a long list of bugs. It's been that way since release.

Has anyone had any luck getting forest fires or meteors in their games without the apocalypse mode enabled?

No meteor shower or forest fire in both my SS games without Apocalypse mode.

They were both with disaster setting 2, maybe they only appear on higher levels?

No meteor shower or forest fire in both my SS games without Apocalypse mode.

They were both with disaster setting 2, maybe they only appear on higher levels?
At level 2 you should have had approximately 6 occurrences per game of each of those random events. Stupid question, but did you have the Maya/GC DLC enabled?

Last edited:
Top Bottom