Euro 2016

If Iceland can actually go all the way in this they'll be insufferably smug for decades to come.

So Hodgson is out as England manager, isn't it time to say goodbye to the captain, Wayne Rooney? He's been a complete flop in every recent tournament, great in qualifying, but when the games really matter, he disappears.
And what happened to Joe Hart? I thought he was a good goalkeeper but this tournament proved otherwise.

So Hodgson is out as England manager, isn't it time to say goodbye to the captain, Wayne Rooney? He's been a complete flop in every recent tournament, great in qualifying, but when the games really matter, he disappears.

That'll depend on the next manager, but it wouldn't be shocking to see Rooney out. On the other hand, Rooney starting in a deep role is a pretty serious indictment of England's other midfield options.

And what happened to Joe Hart? I thought he was a good goalkeeper but this tournament proved otherwise.

Streaky. When he's good, he's pretty good. When he's bad, he's incredibly bad. Remember, this is a guy that (deservedly) rode pine for City during a previous slump.

I can't for the life of me figure out why England can't produce one legitimately world-class goalkeeper. Shilton and Banks are the only guys that I'd rank among the all-timers, and England has been rather up-and-down in goal since Seaman hung it up.

But maybe I'm just being overly critical; I'm never going to get that Robert Green goal that gifted us the group (and possibly even put us through entirely; not sure about the tiebreaker situation) out of my head.

I can't for the life of me figure out why England can't produce one legitimately world-class goalkeeper. Shilton and Banks are the only guys that I'd rank among the all-timers, and England has been rather up-and-down in goal since Seaman hung it up.
He doesn't have to be world class. Solid would already be enough. Seaman, btw, also made his fair share of plunders...

He doesn't have to be world class. Solid would already be enough. Seaman, btw, also made his fair share of plunders...

While true, even the best keepers make mistakes. (Even Casillas during the San Iker run, just not in a major international.) Seaman's reign was the last time that I'd have said you were in comparatively good hands.

It might be helpful to define the categories here, with Gianluigi Buffon proving instructive:

- world-class: I'd at least consider taking the keeper over old Buffon
- all-timer: I'd take the keeper over old Buffon
- GOAT candidate: I'd take the keeper over peak Buffon

Seaman was a pirate? :mischief:

Can Iceland pull a Greece?

Can Iceland pull a Greece?
Stranger things have happened. You could argue that it's less likely for Iceland to reach the 1/4 finals in the first place than for them to win the remaining three games. So yeah. Unfortunately their winning goal against Austria sent them to the wrong side of the play-off tree as they then traded position with Portugal. And now they now have to face France and Germany/Italy. The other side would in all likelihood have been more manageable. France will be their toughest opposition yet. But they haven't been immune to bad performances so if the stars align then another shocker is possible.

Italians traditionally beat the Germans in every major tournament game between the two.
Germany has never won against Italy on a World cup or European cup tournament.
4 losses and 4 draws in the group stage.

Well, until two years ago, Germany had never won a World Cup.

Have Croatia ever won a basketball championship?

I have no idea but I doubt it. And if there was a wider point to that question it is currently whizzing over my head.

It's my undestanding that The Federal Republic of Germany is still the same entity, except that the territory of the old East Germany joined the Federation, so technically, they do have 4 World Cup titles...

They have 4 stars on their shirts.

Re that welsh video, that match was probably the most I've ever laughed in a football match in my life!!! It was bloody hilarious!

It's my undestanding that The Federal Republic of Germany is still the same entity, except that the territory of the old East Germany joined the Federation, so technically, they do have 4 World Cup titles...

That is correct.

I'm in a EURO2016 Pool in which my roommate's dog "predicted" that the final would be England vs Iceland.

Right now the dog is last in the standings, because all the scores she "predicted" were just selected by a random number generator. This has lead to for example a prediction that albania and romania were going to top their group.

The thing is, if Iceland makes it to the final, she will rack up a lot of points other people will miss, perhaps even leading to an unlikely dog victory.. beating out 50 humans.

Probably won't happen but I'm rooting for a Poland v Iceland final anyway. The battle of the lands

Top Bottom