Fall Further - Download and Current Changelog

As promised, here is a DLL which only allows 20 Civs max. Please compare the speed of this DLL with the speed of the 50 Civ max DLL distributed with Patch B and provide as detailed of feedback as you are capable of :)

Hi Xien -- thanks for the DLL. Here are the result of my latest game session:

1. Speed: I'm afraid the new DLL doesn't make much difference.
First Turn still = 5 seconds (instead of nearly instant as with earlier versions),
Turn 100 = 10-12 seconds, a bit faster than my previous FF050 game
Turn 200 = 15-17 seconds
Turn 300 = 30 seconds or more; I stopped there. Too slow.
This was achieved on a standard Erebus map, Prince, 7 Civs selected though custom options (+ Living World, Raging Barbs, but No Logged Combat, among other options)​

2. Brigit: she had been freed by Cernunnos prior to Turn 300. Not sure that's supposed to have happened. I also saw a bunch of Strength 7 Cernunnos wolves! :eek: One of them took out an experienced archer fortified on a hill. What in heaven have you fed to these wolves?

3. Victory Conditions: I looked at the game settings page while in play and noticed all three Religious Victories were listed (Normal, Quick, and Lightning). The only other victory conditions listed were the ones I actually selected on the custom options page before launching the game. That doesn't look right.

4. Workers: I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I think the idea of giving XP's to workers and allowing them to work on improvements before the corresponding techs are researched is both unnecessary and problematic. Even when selecting no Worker XP as an option, they still behave in a suicidal manner within range of a hostile unit, and the XP's still manifest themselves when building workers under the Apprenticeship civics regime. Furthermore, until the right techs are researched, it's a bad idea to automate workers because they will work on improvements taking 80+ turns. AI civs are probably severely penalized as a result -- plus it's a pain as a human player to mess with this! The benefit of these two features isn't worth the inconvenience, I think. You might want to consider removing Worker XP altogether and making the other a selectable custom option.

5. Religions: By Turn 280, not one religion had been founded. My civ was the first with RoK around that time, and another two religions followed somewhere else within a couple turns. That doesn't seem right either.

6. Corporations: Founded one and couldn't see any benefit whatsoever for sacrificing my GP.

Will there be a version compatible with FfH 0.40 coming out soon?

Check the first post, the current version of FF is compatible with the most recent release of FFH :) although there are a couple of major bugs and balance needs some work... this is an ambitious mod :)

Hope Patch C is coming?

5. Religions: By Turn 280, not one religion had been founded. My civ was the first with RoK around that time, and another two religions followed somewhere else within a couple turns. That doesn't seem right either.

6. Corporations: Founded one and couldn't see any benefit whatsoever for sacrificing my GP.

I noticed the religion thing myself during testing - was wondering if it was just an odd game or whether religion is being undervalued. Might need looking at if it's a common thing...

For the guilds - did you have any of the resources required by the guild you founded? If you do, check the Guilds screen and you can see how much bonus commerce/yields the guild is providing (might need a couple of the resources in some cases or on large maps).

I had noticed the religion thing also, but attributed it to most of th new FF civs being agnostic (I play on standard size world, so there is often only one or two non agnostic civs in the game other than myself). However, in my current game there are no agnostics and it is approaching turn 200 and I am the only one who has founded a religion.

As for the corporations, I enjoy them. They haven't been overpowered for me by any means, but they add enough to make them worthwhile. My only complaint is that the governors keep putting in proests or sages when I want something else.

Two quick things:

-The Exchange seems to be able to be built by any civilization, but its civilopedia entry makes it sound Scions-specific.

-Fishing boats cannot enter ocean, which is all well and good except that it means you cannot spread the Kingfisher guild to your overseas cities.

Greatly enjoying the new FF so far, keep it up!

Thanks for the advice, but how do i do that, im relatively computer illiterate compared to you guys.

In the Beyond the Sword directory, there's a shortcut to a file named Civ4Config. That file should be opened with notepad (double click - it'll either open in notepad automatically or give you a list to choose from).

Partway through the file (a little under half) is the following

Code:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0

Your version probably has it set to "1" - which hides the errors rather than telling you what happened. If you change it, then save the file - the next time you get a no-interface start, it should instead have a brown window with some error text.

One quick change I noticed I really like.

Workers leveling up.

It USED to stop their queued up work log (build Farm, Connecting road, Farm, connecting road, farm, connecting road, Cottage... etc etc) every time they leved I had to reissue orders. It got to the point I quick giving them more than 2 or 3 orders.

Now when they level up they simply keep working. When I notice them glowing, I chose their promotion with no change in their work orders. I like this much better.

Do you plan to make FF-compatible version of the FfH scenarios?

(I tried changing the ModPath=Fall from Heaven 2 to ModPath=Fall Further 050 in one of them just to see if it would work, and found that it would load up but then crash immediately.)

Two quick things:

-The Exchange seems to be able to be built by any civilization, but its civilopedia entry makes it sound Scions-specific.

A nice, simple, XML bug for once. Thank you. :)

Do you plan to make FF-compatible version of the FfH scenarios?

Not until we start looking at making FF scenarios. Not sure if we'll do them even then - they were designed for a different mod and as such you're probably best off playing them in the supported version...

I downloaded version 50 and get loads of errors while loading (no pun intended); they seem to center around the alignment infos. Note that I loaded from the desktop shortcut; I think that worked with last version. Also, which FFH2 version is this compatible with?

I downloaded version 50 and get loads of errors while loading (no pun intended); they seem to center around the alignment infos. Note that I loaded from the desktop shortcut; I think that worked with last version. Also, which FFH2 version is this compatible with?

It's for the most recent version of FFH2 - 0.40. So you need to make sure you have that installed before you install FF 50, and make sure that FF copies the right FFH2 files across.

Make sure your desktop shortcut points to the same directory you installed version 50 into. If you do all that, you should be right to go.
(Oh, and you need BTS 3.17, but I'm sure you already have that if you play other current FFH2 + submods)

I think I see the problem: I did install both, but I actually installed the latest Fall Further first. In that case, reinstalling Fall Further 0.50 should fix it, right?

I think I see the problem: I did install both, but I actually installed the latest Fall Further first. In that case, reinstalling Fall Further 0.50 should fix it, right?

Yeah - I'd delete the old Fall Further directory first to make sure, although its probably not strictly necessary.
The reason for it is that Fall Further doesn't contain the entire FFH2 in the installer - but it needs to include FFH2 in the installation for the graphics audio etc. - the way it does it is by copying the necessary resources from your existing FFH2 installation - obviously it has to be the right version.

I noticed the religion thing myself during testing - was wondering if it was just an odd game or whether religion is being undervalued. Might need looking at if it's a common thing...

\

Did you have the Elves or Dwarves in the game? In both my FF games, FOL and ROK were founded long before Turn 150 (epic speed). I think those religions are still beelined. The others? No. I was able to found all of those. One thing I missed was the FFH ability to get a Disciple, etc. from a Lair and found a religion fairly early. Now that the AI explores Lairs, that might help. I just loved beating the Dwarves to ROK and the Elves to FOL this way. :)

OK, now that the mod loads, I've noticed two things that don't seem to work. The first is the broader alignment modifiers in things like Civics, religions, and buildings, (they aren't listed in the pedia although their XML tags are still there, and they don't have effect), and the second is fishing boats. A ridiculous amount of turns (in the millions) will be given until they are done, but they never elapse after turns ending.

Top Bottom