FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

But, more importantly, what will the self-appointed greatest former Manchester United player of all time do now to surprise us?

I think you mean that Ronaldo is 46.

Anyway, Portugal should win it, the other ones would be boring.
If Portugal manage to defeat the might Marrocos!
What I think should be Very fun is Marrocos winning the world cup 🤣

The referee for Uruguay-Portugal has just admitted that his refereeing was ‘not good’.

Of course, FIFA is investigating the Uruguayan FA and players for complaining about the refereeing rather than the referees themselves for their faits accomplis.

Has there ever been a rematch of World Cup finalists on the men's side? (The USA & Japan met in consecutive women's finals in 2011 & 2015.) Obviously Croatia have an uphill battle, but stranger things have happened...

So now it is down to eight for the quarter-finals:

Friday 9 December

Croatia v Brazil
Netherlands
v Argentina

Saturday 10 December

Morocco v Portugal
England
v France

I have little real ideal, but I'll start us off with a guess;
it will be Brazil, Netherlands, Portugal and England !

Anyone else here care to make any predictions ?
Netherlands
I hope...

Worst would be if England won it. They should never win a wc again :yup:

By the way, was Lineker fired? This is how long someone stays a celebrity in England if they bring any type of wc glory (he never went past the semi-finals either :D )

Croatia edge through again, Brazil underwhelm a bit but they were, on paper at least, two of the strongest sides before the tournament started. (see more below)

Now for Argentina-Holl- Netherlands… what a match! Good football, but the Dutch just decided to bunker up most of the time and it could've been different.
And then, after equalising, the Dutch bunkered up again! They just pretended that it was 0-0 again and they had all the time in the world, and ended up asking for time. were they seriously convinced of van Gaal's moronic midweek talk that ‘they were better at penalties’? What the crap were they thinking? What sort of idiot doesn't go for victory after such a double punch?

A separate thing for the Dutch team - they are a disgusting bunch. Some people over at the Grauniad are complaining about Argentina's players ‘celebrating in front of the Dutch’ as if they were expected to mourn, but after the Dutch team and coach spending the previous week insulting them I'd say that, by Argentine standards, they got ‘only’ a Topo Gigio and a celebration.

The referee was just bad all along, being completely inconsistent even with himself, handing out cards as if they were Christmas greeting ones at some points and at others letting obvious fouls slide, capping it with his Real Madrid-style ‘until the Dutch score’ addition of 10 11 minutes. Why does FIFA seem to purposefully select bad referees?

Also it was interesting that the country was sweltering (temperature was about 37 ºC if not more). It echoed the game. The storm drew nearer and nearer… eventually the game ended and people went out to celebrate more or less anywhere (this is the first World Cup ever to have taken place during the southern hemisphere's summer!) that I went on the streets. People just massed wherever they could, because in Argentina the national squad is one of the few remaining institutions even remotely competent at its job.
Brazil getting knocked out is pretty surprising. Too bad it was Croatia that did it instead of a cooler country like Senegal.
Not so much… building on the above, I already said that Brazil was a team that had gotten about as many goal attempts as Korea by the time the match was 4-0 but all of Brazil's were ending up inside while Korea's were saved just there by the keeper or Brazil otherwise narrowly escaped, and the 0-1 partial result for the second half was fair.
On top of that, Croatia was a team that had survived against a Japan that had overturned results against Germany and Spain, while Brazil had already overestimated a match against freaking Senegal and lost it (France did more or less the same).

Of course, once the ball starts rolling, in football anything can happen.

Brazil getting knocked out is pretty surprising. Too bad it was Croatia that did it instead of a cooler country like Senegal.

Not really if you look at their results of the last 25 years or so I was told - they played 1 semi-final iirc.

Croatia is there pretty much every time and they dragged 7 of their last 8 knock out games into extra time.

Modric actually gets better as the games last longer, impressive at his age :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom