Fixing the REF forces?

Veristek

Chieftain
Hey all,

I was wondering if there is any way to reduce the REF's expansion while maintaining max liberty bell production? For example, I don't want a 500 - 1000 unit REF by the endgame just cuz of my max liberty production. I want to reduce that REF to somewhere between 100 - 200 units/

Is there a file or XML section that I can tweak to cut down the REF expansion by like 75% or something? Not to make the game easy, but rather, to avoid the lag and delays of the game computing 500 - 1000 REF units every turn, and not penalize me for having max liberty bell production. In the original Colonization, I could have max liberty bell production and still face reasonable REF forces (usually 50 regulars, 20 - 30 dragoons, 15 - 20 artillery, and 10 man-o-wars). For this version, double these numbers at max, especially on the biggest maps would be good.

You can bother with it yourself, or you can enjoy the fruits of another man's labor. Or in this case, a team of men. Have you played any of the mods? A mod meaning the game of Colonization that has been tweaked to play more realistically, or in any way possible really. I have not played many mods. The only mod I really play is TAC, The Authentic Colonization. Which can be read about and downloaded here. TAC fixes the REF problem by making more than just the Liberty Bells a factor in increasing the REF size. Such as, you need Liberty Bells AND Guns in order to scare the King of England into increasing the size of his army. It plays a lot more realistically.

This can be fixed by simple xml editing.
Here's link that will actually help you. Happy modding.

@Veristek:

I really suggest you take a look at TAC.

It includes an improved version of NetBandit's REF system and is the best REF system ever implemented in any CivCol mod to my opinion.
(Of course, TAC includes many other features and improvements as well.)

The REF system in TAC takes into account many different factors like Revolutionary Rate, Military Units, Weapons and Horses Stored, Size of the Colonies, ...
It is very realistic and well balanced.

I downloaded the mod, put the folder in the mod directory, but it still doesn't show up in the Colonization mods option screen. What gives?

Also, can I upgrade my current vanilla Colonization game to the TAC game, or will I have to start a completely new game? I'm playing my current vanilla game on a sweet map and I'm only about 30 turns in.

mods are like player made free to use DLC but you have to install it yourself. you might have used the mygames directory. use the program files directory, or in the case of win7, program files x86.

Your current game, should be fine and will be played "Vanilla", without use of mods. Anytime you use a mod to play a game, that game may be played only by that mod. TAC is a good mod, very close to vanilla colonization - personally i didn't notice many of the changes and it felt "vanilla" to me. which is a good thing, its not a total re-flavor mod but it finishes a lot of the work 2k slept on.

Other mods. Age of Discovery II is a good mod, and there is a map called "Colonize the World" which has the world map with placed king cities. pretty fun.

Medieval Conquests is a fun mod that has a lot more "empires" and uses the dark ages - this game plays a lot more like a normal game of civ, and you can even research techs, build "libraries" which is done by founding a settlement with a certain unit.

Colonization 2071 in addition to being fun is not just a space mod, its like avatar. There are alien natives struggling to rebuild their civilization, lost to the ancient progenitors. Human Civ's are the colonists, discovering new soil to lay their feet and the progenitors are preparing to awaken.

Top Bottom