Freeway Vandalism! [Image-Intensive!]

people spraypaint messages (usually anti-bush) onto the buildings and sidewalks downtown here in lawrence. it makes a huge mess and the city has to hire people to come and clean it off. bottom line...funny or not, i don't support public vandalism.

Around here there was a stop sign, with 2 seperate messages besides the original on it:

STOP
eating animals!
with ketchup!

spraypainting is very different than putting up a cardboard sign. I wouln't support random spraypainting of nasty words. I do, however, like spraypainted murals even if they aren't legal.

"Of course, since this requires creativity, almost all the messages so far have been very far-left, but the medium could be co-opted with success."

Gotta love cheap liberals...

"We don't break the rules, we just change them to fit our purpose."

Spraypainting and hanging up signs and cardboards is considered vandalism? :confused: The police can't even take care of people who destroy bus cabins.

Originally posted by addiv
Spraypainting and hanging up signs and cardboards is considered vandalism? :confused: The police can't even take care of people who destroy bus cabins.

Hanging cardboards is not necessarily vandalism, however spraypainting is bigtime vandalism.

If I saw someone spraypainting my house I would get seriously tempted to beat the crap out of this vandal.

I say make all unauthorized spraypainters pay a 50,000 dollars fine. That would teach them(And they can be thankful they're not in Singapore).

Originally posted by luiz
Hanging cardboards is not necessarily vandalism, however spraypainting is bigtime vandalism.

If I saw someone spraypainting my house I would get seriously tempted to beat the crap out of this vandal.

I say make all unauthorized spraypainters pay a 50,000 dollars fine. That would teach them(And they can be thankful they're not in Singapore).

Your house, yes.

But I think a blank wall on an apartment building DESERVES to have a message put up.

I say police leave spraypainting as long as it has content (not just some stupid tag) or, if it is just a tag, its actually skilled.

Last time the neighbour's punk-ass teenaged kid hit my house (well my parents house) with paintballs I walked across the street and pounded so loud on their damn door he thought it was coming down. He (the father) came running to the door, opened it and yelled "What the hell are you doing!?!?"

And I just started yelling in his face. Neighbours two houses down heard and called to congratulate me aftewards. :) It was invigorating...

As a paint baller nothing annoys me more than idiots that can't responsibly use their "guns". Gives us all a bad name.

Originally posted by newfangle
or to a lessor extend, how about, "lesson the tax burden on the rich!"

They could, but they can just put that on television, so why make a sign about it.

Originally posted by RedWolf
Last time the neighbour's punk-ass teenaged kid hit my house (well my parents house) with paintballs I walked across the street and pounded so loud on their damn door he thought it was coming down. He (the father) came running to the door, opened it and yelled "What the hell are you doing!?!?"

And I just started yelling in his face. Neighbours two houses down heard and called to congratulate me aftewards. :) It was invigorating...

Welldone! :goodjob:

Originally posted by cgannon64
But I think a blank wall on an apartment building DESERVES to have a message put up.
What about the rights of the owner of the apartment building not to have his wall spraypainted on?

Originally posted by cgannon64

I say police leave spraypainting as long as it has content (not just some stupid tag) or, if it is just a tag, its actually skilled.

So you condone the non-authorized spraypainting of private property? :eek:
An apartment building is still a private property, and people have the right to live in a buiding with clean walls.

How can it be OK for someone without authorization to spraypaint simply because "he has artistic skills?" It's vandalism, and makes the city look like trash.

Originally posted by Perfection
What about the rights of the owner of the apartment building not to have his wall spraypainted on?

Anyone who is rich enough to own an apartment building deserves grafitti!

There's a grafitti on a wall belonging to a supermarket here that says "Fight Fascism!" (in English). Now unfortunately the one who did the thing seems to have been confused about the English spelling of the word, in particular that it contains "sc" and not "sh" or, like in German, "sch". And so he sprayed a "h", then seems to have realized his mistake and sprayed a "c" over it. It looks completely ridiculous, which makes it worth existing, in a way...

Originally posted by rmsharpe
He was a communist, albeit not very loyal to Moscow.

While this criticism of a dictator can't be reproved, and while the gratuitous attack on any for of communism/lefitist thinking is part of your charm, I feel I need to point out to you that being capitalist never really made no one be loyal to Washington, Sharpe. :rolleyes:

So you condone the non-authorized spraypainting of private property? :eek:
An apartment building is still a private property, and people have the right to live in a buiding with clean walls.

Why does having a clean brick wall matter? The people inside do not have to look at it, just the people in the street.

Anyway, ideally the apartment owner would give them permission. My fantasy for a city is all billboards are replaced with art and all blank walls are filled with murals...

Top Bottom