GameRanger Civ4 Rendezvous

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Currently, you can visit GameRanger pretty frequently and still never find a game to join. The trouble is, two players have to visit at the same time, and one has to set up a game. The relatively small Mac Civ4 community plus disparate time zones mean it's a bit like a SETI exercise (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence). Repeated failure to find a game puts players off and the spiral descends ....

This Sticky thread is an attempt to provide a Meeting Point facility where players wanting to host or play Civ4 games on GameGanger can post to arrange to get together. Maybe this will break the vicious circle? It's up to you :)

So please post here if you are interested in playing a network game.

I would love to get a MP game going, I am basically free all day on weekends, so maybe sometime between 10 and 3 pacific time would work for me, otherwise late pacific time on weeknights. I know those are huge time ranges, but if someone offers a specific time within those frames I'm there!

I would like to try some CIV multi.

I am on west coast US time. Weekdays might be best. Look for me on GameRanger as "zoinks" (or enkidu if I can change my handle). After 8:30 PM PST (gotta get the kids in bed and asleep before I conquer the world. priorities!)

That's interesting. I thought I'd log on to GameRanger to see if there are any Civ4 games running, and my GameRanger client crashes on launch! I tried exunging all traces of prefs and software and downloadng a fresh copy of the client, but it still crashes on launch :hmm:

Anyone else having trouble?

ainwood said:
What you really need is a software program that supports scheduling on an international clock. People put in times when tehy are available to play, and it gets entered in a lobby. People can sign-up, and you get alerts when the game is ready.
Well, I could set us such a booking system as a web page, but then the problem would be that it would get the same visibility as this thread, whcih looks like ... negligible. It would really need to be run as an adjunct to the GameRanger site itself, so that anyone going there can register an interest in a specific game like Civ4.

But I'd still like to know if anyone else is having trouble launching the GR client software! :hmm:

Well, it appears to be back in business again. Since I changed nothing between it crashing and working I can only assume it was a site problem and it's now fixed.

Well for the record, I'm in New Zealand and am coming up to a nice big summer soon...

Why didn't civ 4 have it built in. I really would have had liked to have known that the civ4 capability is crap with a mac. I have a pc and would have gotten for that. I hate you Fireaxis!

At last i have found some other mac civilization 4 life out there:crazyeye:

I am very interested in playing online, never done it before but sounds great, can usually play after 4pm on weekdays and all day on weekends, completely new to civilization but the game after my first i was playing on noble difficulty and won it with ease so i got the hang of it.

if your setting any games up please e-mail me at joe.hutton (at) tiscali (dot) co (dot) uk Moderator Action: email address edited to fool spam bots

Hi, welcome :wavey:

When you say "after 4:00 pm" please realise that you are talking to a 24 hour world here. Judgiing from your email address, you are probably in the UK, so this means 4:00 pm GMT.

I have split up your email address since posting it is a license to spammers to send you spam forever.

oh yeh sorry, thats 4 pm UK time

thanks for changing the e-mail address, now i know why people do that:goodjob:

Hey,
I've just set up a new e-mail address specially for MSN, please add me and we can start getting some Civ 4 games up and running :cool:

joe(dot)hutton(dot)civ4(at)hotmail(dot)com

see u there

if u have msn do u wanna give me your addy, ive already got someone i'm playing wiv online that i got from here n its wicked, its like the first game i've ever got to work online with a mac, apart from doom 3, which lasted a few months before it stopped working!

the Falcon said:
Hi! New here. :wavey:

Northern Europe? Nope, I'm not moving to Finland just yet. Though, in the meanwhile, I'm still in Central Europe, like you are… ;)

hm… GameRanger doesn't seem to be working for me, though. It just says "Downloading Latest GameRanger Update" and then crashes. I'll see if it's a temporary problem like AlanH's and try again tomorrow.

I prefer Northern thanks.

Anyway welcome to the forum.

As I mentioned in a separate thread, GameRanger 4.6 has been released now, which now gives Intel Mac users the benefits of the router-bypassing technology that PowerPC Mac users have enjoyed for a while.

It's a Universal Binary, and has a completely rewritten auto-update process (which unfortunately requires a manual download if you were already using GameRanger 4.5.2).

There shouldn't be any issues, but please let me know if you are having any problems with the installer.

Scott.

There shouldn't be any issues, but please let me know if you are having any problems with the installer.

Scott.

Well done, Scott :goodjob:

The online updater failed on my Mac Pro wen I tried to connect with the old version, and took me to the download page. I downloaded the new version and that ran OK ... and then ran an online update when it connected. It now runs fine.

Note for others: Dragging it into the Applications folder from the Disk Image didn't overwrite the old one, even though their names look the same. The new one has a normally hidden .app extension, the old one doesn't. So I had two versions in my Applications folder, my dock alias still tried to open the old one, and had to be replaced.

Top Bottom