General foreign policy

Herviov

Chieftain
Hi,

As I do not know where to put this, so I created a new thread. I believe that we should keep a relative balance in our relation with our neighbour. At least for now. We might be betrayed by anybody. So our interest is to develop at least mild relationship with everybody around us. even though, due to historical circumstances, we keep being more friendly to Cav, we can start to be nice with Sancta as if we were virgins. No? So if one betray, we wouldn't start out of the blue with the other?

So how bout we decided to have one ambassador for each team with Donsig as foreign minister to coordinate the team diplomatic efforts and lead the diplomatic discussion here in the forum?

Ambassadors would be the only people talking with a particular team. This prevents the other teams from trying to manipulate us by saying different things to different people. It also makes sure we are communicating a clear unified message instead of a disjointed one (which can be used against us).

Ambassadors should post logs of all game related conversations (chat/pm/email) so the whole team can enjoy the fun aspect of diplomacy. Every little tidbit is important and should be analyzed by multiple people.

With all teams in contact it's time for us to bring our diplomatic "A" game. This is the MOST important aspect of an MTDG game.

I just posted this in the saturn thread but this makes more sense really.

I propose that the post at the beginning of each of our team intel threads contains info on each of our opponents. I like the system that is being used for our tech thread and I think that this would make accessing information easier.

Of course keeping this 100% updated would be difficult but I think that making a note of when the intel was last updated would suffice. I can work on this but would not be able to really do any good analysis until the weekend. If we end up with an ambassador for each team they should probably take the lead on this.

idea for info to include:
last updated
number of cities
population
production
GNP
tech they have
tech they can research
current treaties
current plans
leader head photos
what their traits are
unit positions and
military info
unit concentrations
wonders
historical summary (this will be useful later in the game when new members join and we all forget what happened 2000 years ago)

We are currently allied with both Team Cav and the Mad Scientists. This is a three way alliance that includes an exclusive tech trading agreement. Any tech trading with SANCTA or Satrun must be approved (and presumably shared) by us, Team Cav and the Mad Ones.

We currently see SANCTA as our main rival and target, though the possibility of a tech trade still exists.

Saturn is seen as a rival though some also see them as a potential fourth partner against SANCTA. The possibility of tech trades still exists.

The biggest decisions we face now are:
  1. What do we want our two allies to tech?
  2. Do we want to make any trades with SANCTA or Saturn?
  3. Do we want Saturn allied with us?

The first two are not only related to each other but to what we decide to tech. The last is a question that has bearing in mid and long term strategy.

1a) Cav seem most keen on going for Currency next. I'm happy with this as it gives us an immediate benefit.
1b) MS are thinking of going for Theology. This also fine, it denies religion to SANCTA and Saturn (and Cav!)
2a) We will need Archery once we hook up iron. Saturn can get this for us.
2b) We want MC from them in exchange for something that won't be so useful. I say that we'll give them Alpha + something else (not polytheism) once they have Writing.
3) We can stay friendly with them, but we should plan on destroying them along with SANCTA.

3) We can stay friendly with them, but we should plan on destroying them along with SANCTA.

We plan on destroying everyone. What we need to decide is how and when. I'm inclined to destroy Saturn after SANCTA is gone. By allowing S & S to combine forces it'll take longer to knock them both out.

Please remember to fulfill our treaty obligations when making trades with S & S.

What does everyone think about sending something like the following off to CAV and MS?

Greetings Team Cavaleiros and Team Mad Scientists,

We have all benefited greatly from the Mutual Technological Advancement plan of our True Triple Alliance. It is now time for the next stage of this plan! Our alliance should continue the profitable exchange of knowledge in a fair, focused and timely manner. We would like to propose the following addendum to our current treaty:

Addendum I to the Treaty of the True Triple Alliance

*The peoples of Cavaleiros, Kazakhstan and Mad Scientists agree to continue cooperation on the advancement of knowledge with the following technology trades:
- Team Kazakhstan to give Masonry, Monotheism, Code of Laws and Aesthetics
- Team Cavaleiros to give Mathematics and Civil Service
- Team Mad Scientists to give Theology and Metal Casting

*Teams will provide initial estimates for when they expect to achieve their tech objectives. Any changes in the estimated completion time for a tech will be shared with alliance members.
*All of the clauses of the original Mutual Technological Advancement plan remain in effect.

Our emissaries will contact you shortly to elaborate more on all the details.

Your Friends,

Team Kazakhstan

After we polish this up I think we should send it right away. We should hold off on all tech gifting until we get the addendum ratified. This will be powerful leverage as both CAV and MS our waiting on a tech from us before they proceed with their own research goals.

When we contact them on MSN to explain the addendum we make sure that our emissaries are well prepared with talking points and a good negotiation strategy.

I'm not so sure holding up CoL is a good idea. I also think it would be best if we kept proposed notes in the respective embassy threads. I've already worked up a proposed note to Team Cav.

btw I thought this was the best place to say it but thanks donsig for taking charge of the diplo situation!!!

I've decided to step aside as foreign minister. Our negotiations were hampered in the early game by individuals chatting with other teams and not disclosing the conversations. This has begun to happen again and I feel it will (again) undermine our efforts at team diplomacy. I will continue to contribute to the team here and there where I can but frankly, the game is losing its appeal to me.

I've decided to step aside as foreign minister. Our negotiations were hampered in the early game by individuals chatting with other teams and not disclosing the conversations. This has begun to happen again and I feel it will (again) undermine our efforts at team diplomacy. I will continue to contribute to the team here and there where I can but frankly, the game is losing its appeal to me.

I am sorry to hear that. It looks like you did a good job. The failure to disclose chat logs with our enemies has been irksome. One problem with MTDGs in the way that they appear to have been set up is that there appears to be no way to address this apart from resignation.

nooooooooo :(

I'm sad you feel that way Donsig:(. Thanks for all your past efforts. :goodjob:

So how shall we approach foreign relations going forward? I guess we could just let our diplo develop organically and elect/appoint a new foreign minister if needed. That is what I would favor for now, unless Donsig changes his mind.

So how shall we approach foreign relations going forward?

I suggest we negotiate as a team rather than individually. Thanks for posting the Memphus chat log Sommers but I can't say I really agree with what you told Memphus. If the majority of our team wants peace with SANCTA now (for nothing in return) then I won't stand in the way, but I'm not at all sure we have a team majority for peace right now.

I suggest we negotiate as a team rather than individually. Thanks for posting the Memphus chat log Sommers but I can't say I really agree with what you told Memphus. If the majority of our team wants peace with SANCTA now (for nothing in return) then I won't stand in the way, but I'm not at all sure we have a team majority for peace right now.
Of course you don't agree...:lol:

Donsig :confused:

Come on, I hope it is just a temporary thing and you don't mean it.

Top Bottom