GOTM 174 Spoiler

wait what? you weren't going for earliest launch full stop but for blue instead?

You could have beaten me if you ran full taxes after Fusion Power i think. Built Apollo in 1280 and launched 4 turns later after selling a bunch of stuff.

My stockpile of vans was in teens by then

Ok then. Your wording left me to believe that it was bigger than that.

You launched 4 turns later? You could not have possibly launched a full space ship, just one set of modules, right?

That is correct. Standard 15-3-3-1-1-1. Did not have the production base for anything fancier.

Spoiler :
Interturn: Indian gov’t overthrown.
1220 AD: Advanced Flight > Rocketry not available > Robotics. Lutèce hides (d) to Persépolis: 100g.

1240 AD: Robotics > Rocketry. Berlin dye (d) to CaesareaSud: 76g. CaesareaSud oil (d) to Ravenne: 220g. Rome coal (d) to Delhi: 256g. Brundisium salt (nd) to Rome: 62g. No unblock, whet… Césaraugusta coal (d) to Delhi: 85g. NicomédieNord hides (nd) to Rome: 114g. HippoRegiusNord beads (nd) to Rome: 104g. JérusalemNord wine (d) to Syracuse: 160g.

1260 AD: Rocketry > Space Flight > Plastics. Apollo’s started in Palmyre: 12 vans. Rome cloth (nd) to Delhi: 103g. Down to 152 arrows. Teothuiacan dye (d) to NicomédieNord: 96g.
Interturn: Carthaginians develop Construction.

1280 AD: Palmyre Apollo. Plastics > Superconductor not available > Genetic Engineering. Still 3 more turns ‘til launch. If I even have the money to launch anything. Véies wine (d) to SéleucideSud: 187g. Pompéi wool (d) to AurelianorumSud: 208g. T5L0S5.

1300 AD: Genetic Engineering > Superconductor. T7L0S3. Véies spice (d) to TarenteNord: 203g. Some vans ready. I’ll maybe try to launch in 3 turns? 3 or 4. Probably 4. 3 if I sell all my SH’s on turn before launch.

1320 AD: Ur SS structural, Berlin SS component. Going for the classic 15-3-3-1-1-1. All my components and 8/15 structurals are queued for 2 turns. MAYBE I can launch in 2 turns if I have enough vans.

1340 AD: Cumes SS structural, Antium SS component. Superconductor > Fusion Power. 2str, 2comp. Sell a bunch of SHs and use up all remaining vans to launch next turn. T2L0S8.
Interturn: Babs develop Construction. Persians develop Engineering.

1360 AD: AurelianorumSud, SéleucideSud, TarenteNord, Tlateloco, Utique, Hispalis, Pompéi, Ur, Teothuiacan, Antium, Véies, Tenochitlan, Berlin SS structurals. Lutèce, Lugnudum, Viroconium, Pise SS components. Syracuse, Brundisium, Rome SS modules. Fusion Power > Communism. SPACESHIP LAUNCH. Arrival date: 1375 AD. Turn no. 186. T10L0S0. At this stage, idkare about science, idkare about “Future Techs” The best way to boost my score is to build the 12-or-so wonders left unbuilt and some aqueducts and sewers as well. And kill whoever stands in my way. Actually… nvm. I do care about the UN. Emissary’s Ploy OP. T3L0S7.

1361 AD: Communism > Stealth. Stealth fighters are soo powerful when the enemies are underteched. At most they have musketeers. I’ll keep the taxes where they are for one last turn.

1362 AD: Stealth > Espionnage. Just… One… more… Turn…

1363 AD: Huh? No discovery. Ok then. T10L0S0, will let the scientists in Rome take care of the rest. The Persians and Carths are definitely on the warpath with their troop movements. It’s ok, I have a special surprise for them.

1364 AD: Espionage > Guerilla. Not being able to tell them to remove troops after they signed peace is mightily annoying. Fire all scientists in Rome except one. Vans for 80, 142, 108, 116, 121. Suffrage rushed in Véies.

1365 AD: Indians develop Amphibious Warfare. Wéies Women’s Suffrage. Carths: ask to remove troops, WAR. Kill 5 units inside Carthage with Stealth fighter (how can spears hurt an armored strafing plane? Did the pilot have to take a pee-pee break or what?) Carthage seized for 163g+3 citizens. Carthaginian civilization destroyed by Romans. You asked for it bud.

1366 AD: Persians AGAIN offer me peace. Can’t ask them to remove troops. UN rushed in Tenochitlan. Indians move artillery outside Delhi: ow, forgot about those guys.

1367 AD: Tenochitlan UN. Persians: WAR when I ask them to remove troops. Kill 3 units in Persépolis after clearing the way: Persépolis seized for 279g+7citizens+city walls. One proc of the Emissary’s Ploy later, kill 2 units in Suse and Pasargades. Pasargades seized for 142g+5 citizens+mkt. Suse seized for 108g+5 citizens. PERSIAN CIV DESTROYED BY ROMANS. The Babs have Gunpowder from the GL, so no need to attack now unless I want my face to meet something that’s hard. Made of cement .. and that ain’t the gutter, guys. Rush CfC in Hispalis. Bombay silk (d) to Rome: 210g.

1368 AD: Adam Smith’s rushed in WhoCaresTown.
Interturn: Indian gov’t overthrown. Hail Indians: They trade Amphibious Warfare for Advanced Flight.

1369 AD: Babs offer peace treaty. God, that’s annoying. Rush the SoL and the Lighthouse. Nicopolis built.

1370 AD: SoL and LH built. The worshipful Babs declar WAR when I ask them to remove troops. Kill 3 units in Babylone: Babylone seized for 521g+7citizens+GL. Nineve bribed for 554g because I don’t want to kill too many citizens. Get 276 back 7 citizens, mktplace and library. BABYLONIAN CIV DESTROYED BY ROMANS. KRC and GW rushed.

1371 AD: GW, KRC. Oracle and Magellan’s rushed.

1372 AD: Rome gems (d) to Delhi: 320g. Hoover Dam rushed. Looks like it’s going to be a world without nukes after all…

1373 AD: Nevermind. T1L0S9. Londinium built.

1374 AD: Manathann, Sun Tzu, Eiffel Tower. T0L10S0. Oddly enough I’m not gaining peace points despite being allied with the Indians. Must be a programming quirk. Eburacum built. Final score: 1***. Just shy of (...) GOTM points.

Final thoughts:
Spoiler :

I really regret not detouring for Genetic Engineering and celebrating after building CfC… Trade never recovered at all after the Inv/Nav penalty outside of the odd 600 delivery to Rome from a colony, and was never relevant after Flight. City science needed to pick up the slack, but cities weren’t big enough at size 8, building conventionally instead of ICS. (Maybe if the colonies were size 8 it woulda helped.) I had good number of cities+SETI, but I needed to make them bigger to have a better base to build from. Had good research speed still despite all that, so maybe stopping to celebrate a bit would not have been worth. Probably would have been able to 1techturn still, but would I have had enough 2tech turns from city science later on to catch up? Idk. But either way, I wasn’t really prepared for launching ASAP. Should have had more freight prepared instead of delivering for measly payouts.

And that's the end of my first ever EL game! Custom maps don't count.

Interesting log Jokemaster.

In my landing games, I typically go for full utilization of my land and a full space ship. The set up is very close to that of a high score game but the tech is slightly more fast paced and the space ship is built in a hurry and launched immediately.

If I were to play a high score game I would slow down tech pace once you get past the initial stage of techs you desperately need in favor of infrastructure. Furthermore, the space ship will be built only by cities that have no useful thing left to build and not necessarily launched immediately. I have played a small number of games like that on small maps. But even then I did not have the patience or the desire to maximize my city population via food vans. To me growing cities beyond their natural limit via infusion of food vans is very unappealing. (It is also prohibited in GOTMs.) What I did do, however, to maximize my score is to keep playing till I hit Future Tech 255 (which is the maximum you can get).

As usual, in this game I plan to launch as soon as my full space ship is ready and then build wonders while it is on its way. I am not planning any warfare. My three remaining rivals have one city each and are too valuable as trade partners. Babylonians are an enthusiastic ally and the other two are contained.

growing cities beyond their natural limit via infusion of food vans is very unappealing. (It is also prohibited in GOTMs.)

OH. I did not know that. Fortunately my games never get to that point.
(Side note: Is it allowed in HoF games or not?)

I launched in +1510 as expected but I barely made it. Exhausted my treasury, and had to disband some Riflemen and one of my two boats.

+1020 Electronics -> Machine Tools -> Mass Production. Hides to Persepolis for 80, 62. Domestic Silver for 190.
+1040 Mass Production -> Mini. Hoover dam built. Silver to Babylon for 212.
+1060 Accepted Babylonian offer of 300g to declare war on Persians. Mini -> Computers. Pompeii builds superhighways and with 3 foreign routes it is producing a whopping 169 arrows. Oil to Bombay for 399. Senate hands cease fire to Persians.
+1080 Computers -> Recycling -> Nuclear Fission. Senate hands peace to Persians. Silver to Persians for 130. Domestic Oil for 338.
+1100 SETI built. Nuclear Fission -> Nuclear Power -> Laser. Oil to Delhi for 224. Domestic Oil for 357.
+1120 Laser -> Fundamentalism -> Mobile Warfare. Pompeii maxes out at size 36. If I were to set my science rate to 100%, it would produce 1720 beakers. Gems to Persepolis and Delhi for 122 each. Wine to Bombay for 397.
+1140 Mobile Warfare -> Flight -> Radio. Deliveries to Delhi for 203, 264.
+1160 Radio -> Advanced Flight -> Robotics. Silk to Persepolis for 98. Wine to Babylon for 84. Copper to Babylon for 42. Domestic oil deliveries to science city for 256, 209.
+1180 Robotics -> Rocketry -> Space Flight.
+1200 Space Flight -> Environmentalism -> Combined Arms. Copper to Babylon for 82.
+1220 Combined Arms -> Plastics.
+1240 Plastics -> Superconductor -> Communism. First factory built. Domestic offshore gold for 760.
+1260 Communism -> Fusion Power -> Stealth. Domestic offshore Silk for 512.
+1280 Stealth -> Espionage -> Guerrilla warfare. Apollo built. Domestic offshore deliveries for 352, 188.
+1300 Guerrilla warfare -> Labor Union -> Future Tech 1. Space race starts. Silver to Delhi for 100.
+1320 Future Tech 1 -> 2.
+1340 Persians steal Plastics; I declare war. Future Tech 2 -> 3 -> 4. Domestic offshore oil for 595. 2 Persian units killed.
+1360 Persian warrior dies attacking my Engineer. Future Tech 4 -> 5. Gems to Persepolis for 336.
+1380 Persians steal space flight. Indians develop Mobile Warfare! I thought they would never manage another advance. Future Tech 5 -> 6 -> 7.
+1400 Future Tech 7 -> 8.
+1420 Indians sneak attack and kill a None rifleman, a cavalry, and an Engineer. Future Tech 8 -> 9 -> 10. Vet Stealth fighter kills the 3 defenders of Bombay. The city is captured for 459g and marketplace. Senate hands cease fire to Indians. Silver to Persepolis for 155.
+1440 Future Tech 10 -> 11. Wine to Babylon for 267. Senate hands peace to Persians. Oil to Delhi for 268.
+1460 Future Tech 11 -> 12.
+1480 Future Tech 12 -> 13 -> 14.
+1500 Future Tech 14 -> 15. Domestic offshore gold for 578.

Status at +1500
Population: 92.7M; Cities: 40; Techs: All+14FT; Government: Democracy
Gold: 736; Cost: 542; Trade routes: full;
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Colossus, Lighthouse, Michelangelo, King Richard's, Shakespeare, Copernicus, Newton, Leo, Bach, Adam Smith, Darwin, Cure, Hoover, SETI, Apollo
Units: 23 engineers, 7 Riflemen (1 None), 3 Cavalry (1 None), 1 Stealth Fighter, 1 transport, 1 diplomat, 1 spy, 1 vans
Goals: Launch (next turn), building remaining wonders.
Babylonian: 1 city, 33 techs; allied with me, war with Persians
German: Destroyed by me
Aztec: Destroyed by me
Persian: 1 city, 36 techs; war with Babylonians
Carthaginian: Destroyed by me
Indian: 1 city, 82 techs;

+1510 Future Tech 15 -> 16 -> 17. Full space ship launched.
+1511 Future Tech 17 -> 18. Silver to Persepolis for 214.
+1512 Babylonians steal Space Flight. I keep the alliance. Marco built. Future Tech 18 -> 19 -> 20. Domestic offshore oil for 584. T2L2S6
+1513 Eiffel built. Future Tech 20 -> 21. Copper to Babylon for 118.
+1514 Great Wall built. Future Tech 21 -> 22 -> 23. Domestic deliveries for 184, 394, 87.
+1515 Pyramids built. Future Tech 23 -> 24 -> 25. Domestic deliveries for 150. T1L2S7
+1516 Sun Tzu built. Future Tech 25 -> 26. Gems to Delhi for 242. Domestic deliveries for 160.
+1517 Indians join the space race. Great Library and Oracle built. Future Tech 26 -> 27 -> 28. Domestic oil deliveries for 321, 915.
+1518 Persians steal Fusion Power; I declare war. Liberty, UN, and Suffrage built. Future Tech 28 -> 29 -> 30. Wandering Persian settler killed. Domestic deliveries for 98, 377. T0L2S8
+1519 Future Tech 30 -> 31 -> 32. Senate hands peace to Persians. Domestic deliveries for 162. Sirjan, Cyrene, and Tyrus founded.
+1520 Persians steal superconductor; I keep the peace. Manhattan and Magellan built. Future Tech 32 -> 33. Corfinium founded. T0L10S0
+1521 Space ship arrives

Gotm 174 info and download: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/gotm-174-hexagon.561076/

Game of the Month 174: Jan 2016
The hexagon

Civilization: 1 Roman settler
Starting techs: None
Difficulty: Emperor
Total players: 7
Restarts: on
Barbarians: Villages only (-50)
Known map (which means you can open it in map editor at any point in the game)

We start 2016 with a world that is 20x1660. The world consists of one hexagon shaped continent and 2 small islands near the poles. The Romans are located at the center of the hexagon. The other 6 rivals each start at the center of an edge of the hexagon. All player starting locations are on a river on grassland. 3 of the rivals have 1 special, 2 have 2, and 1 has 3. To compensate for lack of specials, extra rivers are added near the starting location. The entire map is very hospitable.

The 6 rivals are chosen to be Perfectionist first and Rational second: Babylonian, German, Aztec, Persian, Carthaginian, Indian.

Special rules:
1. You cannot walk into an undefended rival capital should you have the chance. Of course, it is OK to do so after you kill a defender.
2. You get to choose the best of 3 outcomes for your first 3 huts. Each time save after you tip the hut. Then choose the best of the 3 saves and move on.

My game: Playing as a peaceful civ building game as if headed for the Space launch. Edit added later: Note that in this game with such fertile land that is predominately grass, most cities are placed 2 steps apart and thus city building is accelerated.

4000: Due especially to the special rule of choosing the best of 3 outcomes for the first 3 huts, decided to utilize the starting settler to open at least the first hut and possibly up to the first 3 rather than building right away, fewer than 3 if the first or 2nd huts produce a unit. Settler steps towards first hut @ 2/24.
3950: 1st Hut: Advanced Tribe, Archer, Horse. Made a bold decision and chose the Tribe for Capitol, grassland with dateline Pheasant and hidden Spice
3900: > Alphabet (1/10). Hoping for a path that will be Republic friendly, but will go Monarchy if an off-path tech sabotages the Republic path. Original settler now heads east to tip the nearest hut 3 steps away.
3800: 2nd Hut: Weeds, Advanced Tribe, 50 Gold. Made another bold choice and again chose the advanced tribe for city 02, grassland with Peat and Wine. In the spirit of being as productive as possible, will complete a warrior in Capitol next turn which will open the third and future huts and so the original Settler can now build a city as soon as possible which will be grassland 7/29 2 steps away and which has a Wheat and a shared peat. Each of my first 3 or 4 cities are likely to build one warrior to aggressively pop additional huts knowing that 6 neighboring civs are competing for them.
3650: Alphabet > Code of Laws (0 / 22).
3600: Warrior opens 3rd Hut: Warrior Code, 50 gold, Advanced Tribe. Once again the bold choice is made for the Tribe which becomes city 04, grassland. Luckier start than usual and likely the the best and luckiest possible result for these 1st 3 Huts. Planning to build 3 additional warriors to explore the 4 corners of the earth, one per city.
3550: 2nd Warrior.
3500: 3rd Warrior.

3500 Summary: Despotism, 4 cities. Units: 0 Settlers, 3 Warriors. Units in production: 1 Warrior @ 6/10, 3 Settlers @ 4, 2, 0. Techs: 1 (Alphabet). Diplomacy: Have met no foreign civs. Income: 8 Megatons, 4 Beakers, 1 Coin. Land Area: 21,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 2.

3400: Code of Laws > Writing (2 / 33). 4th Warrior. 4th Hut: None Archer. Archer steps East and meets a representative of India. Able to trade for Bronze Working which satisfies the off path requirement towards Republic. Planning to open no further huts until Writing and Literacy are completed and Republic is underway. Germany approaches me, they have at least Pottery. Did not trade for it, peace, gifted them Alphabet.
3350: Babylon approaches me and they have at least Map Making. So tempting to trade for it and get all of the maps, but decided to maintain a perfect path towards Republic first.
3050: Writing > Literacy (0 / 60).
3000: With Literacy underway, decided for various reasons to risk 5th Hut: Weeds.

3000 bc Summary: Despotism, 4 cities. Units: 0 Settlers, 1 Archer, 4 Warriors. Units in production: 4 Settlers @ 36,35,28,24. Techs: 4 (Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze). Diplomacy: Have met 3 foreign civs which collectively have at minimum Map Making and Pottery. Income: 14 Megatons, 4 Beakers, 1 Coin. Land Area: 60,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 18.

2950: 1st and 2nd (current) Settlers.
2900: Met Aztecs who hav at least Pottery. Peace, gifted them writing.
2850: Built 05, grassland with dateline Pheasant and a Banana. Built 06, grassland with Bison and shared spice. Risking 6th Hut: Horseback Riding (unwanted development). Met Carths, peace, they have at least Ceremonial Burial Gifted them Alphabet. Further risk: 8th Hut: Pottery (another unwanted development). Beaker cost is now 84 for current tech - Literacy. Once it is completed, if Republic is not offered, able to choose Map Making and then trade for it, minimizing the chances for being forced to fully research another tech before being able to research Republic.
2800: 1st and 2nd (current) Settlers .
2700: Built 07, grassland with shared wheat. Built 08, grassland.
2500: Built 09, grassland with gem and shared pheasant.

2500 bc Summary: Despotism, 9 cities. Units: 0 Settlers, 1 Archer (none), 4 Warriors. Units in production: 9 Settlers. Techs: 6 (Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery). and Literacy is @ 76/84. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs which collectively have at minimum Map Making, and Ceremonial Burial. Income: 19 Megatons, 10 Beakers, 3 Coin. Land Area: 97,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 21.

2450: Literacy > Map Making. Republic was not offered so i chose a desired tech i knew i could receive in trade. Pursued Babylon, traded for Map Making, gifted a tech and traded maps. Babylon has at least Masonry. Approached the Germans, gifted Map Making and another tech, traded maps. Germany has at least Masonry. Approached the Aztecs who have Currency. Gifted Map Making and traded maps. Approached the Carths who also have Currency. Gifted Map Making and traded maps. Approached India, gifted Map Making and another tech and traded maps. Status with Diplomacy: Now have all 6 maps and collectively the foreign civs have at least Currency and Masonry.

2400: > Republic (12 / 117). Looks likely for an 1850 Oedo. First size 1 > 2 city goes into riot.
2200: 1st, 2nd and 3rd Settlers. With 1 size 2 riot and potentially 4 additional cities that won't handle becoming size 2 well, will likely utilize these three Settlers (and any in the future) to build roads until the 1850 Oedo.
2150: 2nd and 3rd cities reach size 2 and still without martial law units, the civ is spared any additional riots.
2100: 4th city reaches size 2 and is spared a riot by the presence of an archer. Thus 2 of our 4 size 2 cities require martial law. Land Improvements: 1st 3 roads.
2050: 4th Settler.

2000 bc Summary: Despotism, 9 cities. Units: 4 Settlers, 1 Archer, 4 Warriors. Units in production: 9 Settlers. Techs: 7 (Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy)... and Republic is @ 93/117. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs which collectively have at minimum Currency, Masonry and Ceremonial Burial. Will want Currency immediately after Republic and will want Masonry immediately after completion of Trade. Have traded for all 6 maps. Income: 25 Megatons, 10 Beakers, 5 Coin. Huts: 8. Land Area: 107,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 18.

1950: 5th Settler. 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th roads.
1900: 6th Settler.
1850: Republic > Currency (0/150). S > 80 with the plan to trade for Currency and complete Trade as swiftly as possible. Traded the Aztecs of the civs that have Currency Next tech (hopefully Trade) comes at a cost of 165 beakers. 7th and 8th Settlers. Still with 7 roads, positioned to build 5 cities this turn.
Built 10, grassland with shared wine. 11: Grassland with shared spice, shared bison and shared coal. 12: grassland with shared spice and shared coal. 13: grassland with 4 specials, 3 of which are currently shared. 14: grassland. With all foreign civs enthusiastic in attitude, disbanded each of 3 warriors, each of which was within a city. The final remaining warrior is deadlocked next to a hut with mutual zone of control with the Indians preventing it from being popped. Holding onto my none Archer as my sole source of defense.

1850 Summary: Republic with 14 cities.
Units: 3 Settlers, 1 Archer (none), 1 Warrior. Units in progress: 14 Settlers. Techs: 10 (Sequence: Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy, Map Making, Republic, Currency). Next tech is unchosen and progress is @ 0 / 165. Land Improvements: 7 roads, 0 irrigation, 0 mines. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs which collectively have at minimum Masonry and Ceremonial Burial and soon will gift Republic to all except possibly not the Purple key civ. Have traded for all 6 maps. Income: 31 Megatons (gross), 42 Beakers, 8 Coin. Huts: 8. Land Area: 116,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 11.

Pre 1800: India develops Warrior Code.

1800: > Trade (38 / 165). 4th Settler. Built 15, grassland with Fish and Bison. Transition into saving limited rush monies for the first 4 wonder caravans.
1750: 8th road.
1700: 4th Settler. Through trade, gifting or threats against my lightly defended civ, the Aztecs and Indians now both have Republic.
1650: Trade > Masonry. S > 20, T > 80. Babylon and Germany have Masonry. Traded Babylon for both Masonry and Ceremonial Burial and they now have Republic. Traded Germany for The Wheel and gifted them Republic. 4 neighboring cities are now designated to build the first 4 wonder caravans. Built 16, grassland with shared bison. Gifted Republic to the Aztecs, Persians, Carthagians, Received Warrior Code in trade from the Indians. Apparently have all foreign techs at this point.
1600: > Mysticism (14 / 272). 11th and 12th roads.
1550: No new units, 13th road. 3 additional cities reach size 2 and 2 of these become the first 2 riots in Republic out of a total of 7 size 2 cities. Will keep T 80 / S 20 for the moment and utilize 2 Elvis Will likely shift to L 30 or L 40 within a few short turns, very possibly even next turn.
1500: 3rd and 4th riots out of now 10 size 2 cities. I felt it was worth the risk, but this development has become a bit embarrassing : ). Built 17 and 18, both grasslands with misc specials, shared or otherwise. Shifted to L 40, T 60.

1500 Summary: Republic with 18 cities. No wonders nor any in progress. Units: 1 Settler, 1 Archer (none), 1 Warrior. Units in progress: 4 Wonder Caravans, 14 Settlers. Techs: 15 (Sequence: Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy, Map Making, Republic, Currency, Trade, Masonry, Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel, Warrior Code). Land improvements: 13 roads, 0 irrigation, 0 mines. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs, have traded for all maps and seemingly have all techs. Income: 57 Megatons (gross), 0 Beakers, 34 Coin. Huts: 8. Land Area: 121,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 14.

1400: 1st and 2nd Wonder Caravans, 14th road. After about 10 turns like this, continue to be deadlocked with India preventing one another from snatching the one visible hut.
1350: 3rd and 4th Wonder caravans and the 4 fill 200 shields.
1300: PYRAMIDS. 2nd, 3rd and 4th Settlers. Built 19, grassland with shared fish.
1250: 4th thru 7th Settlers. 1st Horse which heads towards the one visible hut to break the stand off.
1200: 8th and 9th Settlers, 15th and 16th roads. Built 20, grassland.
1150: 2 new riots in cities that grew from 1 > 2. 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th roads. Built 21, grassland.
Pre 1100: Persia develops Polytheism.
1100: 9th thru 12th Settlers. 21st road. Built 22, grassland with Fish. Traded the Persians for Polytheism and updated maps with 2 of 6 civs. As multiple cities near size 3's capable of celebration with the help of Hanging Gardens, 4 neighboring cities are designated to build the next 4 Wonder Caravans. It is estimated that HG will emerge in about 6 turns which is 900 bc.
1050: 22nd and 23rd roads. Built 23, grassland with shared pheasant and shared banana. Built 24, grassland with shared pheasant. Built 25, grassland with shared silk and shared bison. Horse navigates himself to finally open 9th Hut: None Chariot. Disbanded my one remaining warrior which had been maintaining zone of control for this hut for all this time.
1000: No new units. 24th thru 27th roads. Built 26, grassland with shared silk and shared gem. Built 27, North coast grassland near India. This represents the first coastal city of the game. L 40 and 3 elvis to keep the masses under control.

1000 Summary: PYRAMIDS. Republic with 27 cities. Units: 6 Settlers, 1 Chariot, 1 Horse, 1 Archer (none). Units in progress: 8 Wonder Caravans, 18 Settlers, 1 Trireme. Techs: 16 (Sequence: Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy, Map Making, Republic, Currency, Trade, Masonry, Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel, Warrior Code, Polytheism). Land improvements: 27 roads, 0 irrigation, 0 mines. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs, have traded for all maps and seemingly have all techs. Income: 75 Megatons (gross), 0 Beakers, 65 Coin. Huts: 9. Land Area: 156,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 13.

Pre 975: Germans complete Construction.

975: 1st Wonder Caravan, 28th road. Traded the Germans for Construction (17th tech) and updated maps.

950: 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wonder Caravans and the 4 fill 200 shields. 29th road. Built 28, grassland with Gold.

925: HANGING GARDENS. 30th and 31st roads. Note that all of the many roads will be a key factor in celebrating cities to size 5s and above. Built 29, grassland. L 40 is still required for basic contentedness without sacrificing too much in shield production. Only 3 of 29 cities are size 3 and 2 of these are able to enter into celebration @ L 40. As well 1 size 2 city heading towards size 3 next turn will celebrate.

900: 3 Celebrations. 1st and 2nd Wonder Caravans. 32nd road. Built 30, grassland with shared banana.

875: 3rd Wonder Caravan. 3 new citizens via celebration growth. Now have 9 cities size 3 or greater and most require L 60 to celebrate. As such L is increased from 40 > 60.

850: 3 new citizens via celebration growth. Land improvements: 33rd and 34th roads. Still no irrigation or mines.

825: 4th Caravan and the 4 fill 200 shields. 4th and 5th Settlers. 35th road.

800: LIGHTHOUSE. 6th Settler. Built 31, North Coast Fur.

775: 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Settlers, 1st and 2nd Triremes, 1st diplomat (primarily to allow the city to reach size 3 so it can celebrate). It also provides for a measure of home defense in case any of my enthusiastic rivals decide to surprise attack. One Trireme on the North Coast and the other in the South. Each unsinkable trireme departs towards an island (and the hut) with a Settler and a 2-movement unit. The two islands will be designated as highly lucrative off-shore foreign trade paradises and one of these cities will potentially demand Hides and thus be likely to build Colossus and to be the recipient of a prolific stream of domestic Hides. 36th road. Built 32, North coast grassland with Oasis.

750: 9th, 10th and 11th Settlers. 37th road.

750 bc Summary: PYRAMIDS (1300). HANGING GARDENS (925), LIGHTHOUSE (800). Republic with 32 cities. Units: 11 Settlers, 2 Triremes, 1 diplomat, 1 Chariot (none), 1 Horse, 1 Archer (none). Units in progress: 30 Settlers, 2 Triremes. Techs: 17 (Sequence: Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy, Map Making, Republic, Currency, Trade, Masonry, Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel, Warrior Code, Polytheism, Construction). Tech in progress: 35 / 342 towards Mysticism. Land improvements: 37 roads, 0 irrigation, 0 mines. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs, have traded for all maps and seemingly have all techs. Income: 121 Megatons (gross), 0 Beakers, 57 Coin. Huts: 9. Land Area: 213,000 sq. mi. Treasury: 19.

725: 12th thru 19th Settlers. 38th, 39th, 40th and 41st roads. Island sighting in the North to be reached next turn.

700: 20th Settler. 42nd, 43rd, 44th and 45th roads. Diplomacy before opening hut. With everybody @ enthusiastic, sought tech trades (to avoid any hut techs that could have been instead traded for) and map trades with all and came up completely empty handed. 10th Hut:Coastal grass-river North island tribe with Fish for city 33 which demands Hides in the first position and which as such becomes an excellent candidate for Colossus. Looking towards sending demanded Hides to this new island city which demands them, timing it with a hopeful initially size 5+ island city (and potentially eventually size 12 with with Colossus), shifted city production in 17 cities to Hides. Island city will build a temple to coincide with reaching size 3 which will be in about 8 or 9 turns. With the development of this island Hide demander, Overall units in progress: 17 Hides, 13 Settlers, 2 Triremes.

pre-675: Babylonians develop Monarchy. Upon 675 this 18th tech was received in trade along with an updated map. Current beaker cost increases to 380.

675: No new units. Land Improvements: 1st irrigation (to aid swiftest growth in island Hide demander), 46th thru 53rd roads. Built 34, grassland. At least two cities unable to celebrate with a food surplus @ L 70 are able to do so @ L 80, thus the adjustment is made. Since this was true of the first 2 cities tested, likely it was true in various others as well, though the time was not invested to make the comparison multiple times. As well L 80 allows for additional high value forest and other non trade squares to be utilized in non-celebrating cities while maintaining contentedness.

650: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Hides, each of which head towards the North coast in anticipation of boarding a trireme. 54th thru 57th roads. 11th hut: 2 North pole barbarian horses which surround my horse on the glacier. 12th and final hut: South island None Nomad which will be designated as a much needed worker.

625: 5th Hide, 3rd and 4th Triremes. 58th thru 61st roads, 2nd irrigation (South island). Built 35, North coast grassland with Whale. Built 36, 2nd city on the North island and another Hide demander. Grass/river end with Wheat and Fish.

600: 6th Hide. 62nd thru 65th roads. Built 37, grassland.

600 bc Summary: PYRAMIDS (1300). HANGING GARDENS (925), LIGHTHOUSE (800). Republic with 37 cities. Units: 6 Trade Caravans (All Hides), 17 Settlers, 4 Triremes, 1 diplomat, 1 Chariot (none), 1 Horse, 1 Archer (none). Units in progress: 17 Hides, 14 Settlers, 5 Triremes. Buildings: None. Techs: 18 (Sequence: Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy, Map Making, Republic, Currency, Trade, Masonry, Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel, Warrior Code, Polytheism, Construction, Monarchy). Tech in progress: 35 / 380 towards Mysticism. Land improvements: 65 roads, 2 irrigation, 0 mines. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs, have traded for all maps and seemingly have all techs. Income: 176 Megatons (gross), 0 Beakers, 78 Coin. Huts: 12. Land Area: 298,000 sq. mi. Population: 3.61 Million, F4 Heads: 137. Treasury: 10.

575: 18th Settler. 66th thru 69th roads. Built 38, 1st South Island city, coastal grass/river-end with Fish which demands Hides.

550: 7th Hide. 70th thru 73rd roads. Picked up 19th tech, Iron Working, in trade from the Indians. Built 39, grassland. Built 40, coastal North island Wheat, another Hide demander.

525: 8th, 9th and 10th Hides, 16th, 17th and 18th Settlers, 5th Trireme. 74th thru 76th roads, 3rd irrigation. Built 41: South coast grassland with Fish and shared silk. Built 42: grassland.

500: 11th thru 14th Hides. 17th thru 19th Settlers, 6th Trireme, 1st Temple. 77th thru 79th roads.

500 bc Summary: PYRAMIDS (1300). HANGING GARDENS (925), LIGHTHOUSE (800). Republic with 42 cities. Units: 14 Trade Caravans (All Hides), 19 Settlers, 6 Triremes, 1 diplomat, 1 Chariot (none), 1 Horse, 1 Archer (none). Units in progress: 19 Hides, 16 Settlers, 4 Triremes. Buildings: 1 island STC Temple. Trades Landed: 0. Techs: 19 (Sequence: Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy, Map Making, Republic, Currency, Trade, Masonry, Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel, Warrior Code, Polytheism, Construction, Monarchy, Iron Working). Tech in progress: 35 / 560 towards Mysticism. Land improvements: 79 roads, 3 irrigation, 0 mines. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs, have traded for all maps and seemingly have all techs. Income: 193 Megatons (gross), 0 Beakers, 87 Coin, Lux 80. Huts: 12. Land Area: 360,000 sq. mi. Population: 4.21 Million, F4 Heads: 171. Treasury: 4.

475: 15th thru 18th Hides, 20th Settler, 7th Trireme, 80th thru 85th roads, 4th irrigation (all 4 are on the two trade islands). First north island city reaches size 3 and begins to celebrate, just as 2 Hides are within striking distance. Unfortunately the Hide demand here has slipped from the first position to the third which indicates that it may soon disappear, handing the baton and possible Colossus to a neighboring Hide demander. Built 42, South island coastal grassland with Fish. Diplomacy: Before landing any trades and without Marco's, sought each civ for any potential tech trades. Received Seafaring in trade as the 20th tech. Will land a fairly meager trade here before recipient city celebrates to a significantly higher size to immediately benefit from the reinvested bonus. 1st trade of game: Demanded domestic Hide from size 5, 15 base trade city 21 to size 3 8 base trade island city 33: 120. Added this 120 gold to aprox 30 from existing treasury to rush a Courthouse which will halve the fairly significant 33% corruption and which will thus optimize the many anticipated bonuses from each Hide within the upcoming steady stream. Hoping the Demand holds out at least until 2nd island Hide city which is currently size 1 can reach size 3 and celebrate. Will be wanting to build Colossus in one of these island cities which seems to have a stable Hide demand.

450: 18th thru 20th Hides and 1st Courthouse. 86th thru 90th roads. Built 43: North island tundra with oil. Built 44: Grassland. 2nd Trade of game: Demanded Hides from size 5, 14 base trade city 03 to size 4, 13 base trade island city 33 with Courthouse: 132.

425: 20th thru 22nd trade caravans, 18th Settler. 91st thru 95th roads, 5th irrigation. 3rd Trade: Demanded Hides from size 5 city 26 with 19 base trade to size 5 island city 33 with 15 base trade: 184. Unfortunately after this 3rd Hide trade, demand for Hides in this city is lost. Backup Hide demander on North island is city 40 which will be size 2.5 next turn (thanks to Pyramids). Built 45, grassland with shared Fish and shared Silk. Built 46: South island coastal grassland with Fish.

400: 22nd and 23rd Trade Caravans, 17th thru 20th Settlers, 8th and 9th Triremes. 96th thru 99th roads, 6th irrigation. 4th Trade: Demanded Hides from size 7 Capitol with 22 base trade to size 2 island city 40 with 6 base trade: 132. Fills beakers for Mysticism and one scientist is assigned. Built 47: coastal grassland with shared

400 bc Summary: PYRAMIDS (1300). HANGING GARDENS (925), LIGHTHOUSE (800). Republic with 47 cities. Units: 22 Trade Caravans (19 Hides), 19 Settlers, 9 Triremes, 1 diplomat, 1 Chariot (none), 1 Horse, 1 Archer (none). Units in progress: 18 Trade Caravans, 24 Settlers, 3 Triremes. Buildings: 1 island STC Temple, 1 island STC Courthouse. Trades Landed: 4. Techs: 20 and 21 next turn. (Sequence: Alphabet, Code, Writing, Bronze, Horseback Riding, Pottery, Literacy, Map Making, Republic, Currency, Trade, Masonry, Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel, Warrior Code, Polytheism, Construction, Monarchy, Iron Working, Seafaring). Tech in progress: 603/588 towards Mysticism. Intended path immediately to follow: Philosophy/Monotheism. Land improvements: 99 roads, 6 irrigation, 0 mines. Diplomacy: Have met all 6 foreign civs, have traded for all maps and seemingly have all techs. Income: 231 Megatons (gross), 3 Beakers, 86 Coin, Lux 80. Huts: 12 (and there are none remaining) Land Area: 420,000 sq. mi. Population: 5.03 Million, F4 Heads: 182. Treasury: 7.

Calling it here. Many demanded island trades are in position to land very soon (including 5 which are already on the island) and with triremes gathering into a formation which would soon comprise a chain. Would very likely have had Philosophy/Monotheism in 350 and Mikes perhaps in about 300. Feudalism/Theology/Bachs would likely be the next priority, possibly with Colossus in my North island Hide demander before Bachs.

As well many settlers would be transitioning into irrigation projects to facilitate celebration growth to predominately size 8s, organizing as much as possible into teams of 5 to complete each project in 1 turn. As well, would celebrate certain island trade cities (and certain mainland cities) to size 12s and then soon thereafter to sizes of 20+.

Finally would likely build 6 embassies instead of Marco's perhaps somewhere within the next 10 turns. Since 6 diplomats are approximately the same cost of 4 Caravans, would be doing it this way largely since the embassies would never expire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom