Gr8 Team B The Pheonix Rising

lurker's comment: You got so bad results with the RNG, and you didn't try to start again from the last save? Wow, you must be proud you are so courageous (not spelled correctly, I know, but I really don't know (!) how to spell it correctly). I've been lurking this game for a lot of time, but I didn't post until now.

I took a look at the save and have some comments:

1. We are not mobilized. Is it necessary to mobilize now?

2. Greece and China are both nearing 130k, and Japan will be enough to stop both by having half their culture. When we invade the other continent (if we survive that long) we must destroy Japan and China on the same turn.

3. Our defense is inpenetrable. Great job Leha :goodjob: ! Maybe we shouldn't sign peace inbetween getting panzers.

Well....this is going to be interesting :lol:

First off, I would try and plant a spy in Greece if we haven't yet. If we succeed, we can turn off research and start stealing our techs, as it is much, much cheaper and quicker.

Secondly...I dunno, just keep us intact long enough to get panzers and have a chance at taking out Greece before they build the ship. Doesn't sound all that hard :lol:

Kaiser_Berger said:
Well....this is going to be interesting :lol:

First off, I would try and plant a spy in Greece if we haven't yet. If we succeed, we can turn off research and start stealing our techs, as it is much, much cheaper and quicker.

Secondly...I dunno, just keep us intact long enough to get panzers and have a chance at taking out Greece before they build the ship. Doesn't sound all that hard :lol:

We sure should turn research off, but after panzers (and maybe flight), I wouldn't risk failing to steal MT.

"Got it".

Sorry for the delay. This looks very ugly. Will see if I can take out Greek Rubber I think. Marathon is good target as well. But we hardly have offensive power, so this may be wishfull thinking.

Midterm report

Turn 0, 1535AD: This looks ugly :). Only thing that can be tried low cost is cutting Greek Rubber supply. Even that may be too hard.
Sign embargo's vs Greece with Babylon and Aztecs. China and Japan will not do it.
Why are we building a factory in New Konigsberg? The city makes 2 spt! Change it to market at small shield loss. Reading is building regular destroyers. Why all the transports? It doesn't look like we can afford any more naval operations, so I change them to arty, cavs, etc. New Berlin is building regular cavs, change to rax. We have 7 cavs, 6 of which are near France. This will not do, we cannot even pick of redlined tanks this way. I decide to cashrush some cavs, then discover we cannot cashrush :crazyeye:.
I plant a spy in Athens. Here's the Greek military:

Well that doesn't look so bad. But wait, there's more:

and more:

and then some:

A few unit types I haven't seen before, I have not played C3C much and certainly not into the modern age. Even the AI should be able to do something with all that stuff.
An alliance vs Greece woudl cost around 190 gpt with China, the only other strong civ left. This would seriously slow down our research effort - I'll hold off for now and we'll see.
Turn research up to 100%. Stealing a tech from Greece would cost around 4.7K at the safest, 2K at the riskiest. Maybe next tech.

Press enter...

IT: In an interesting development, mighty France declares on the Greeks. Then, England allies with Greece against France. The Great Powers flex their muscles :D. It does help, many of the Greek forces withdraw...
Our sword army is obliterated by bomb runs, we lose a few inf as well.

Turn 1, 1540AD: Japan has MassProd. We cannot buy it, our rep is broken apparently. Let's hope he doesn't sell it.
Our arty redlines all defenders and destroys Civil Defense and Airport at Marathon. Our infantry army takes out 2 defenders, but there are 2 left. We also destroy the Stock Exchange, Temple, Market, and kill some citizens. I take a gamble and move some infantry under our infantry army at Marathon. If it falls...

IT: Greeks bomb our army into the red, but it survives. They take Norwich, I should have gifted it to England I guess.

Turn 2, 1545AD: lost the infantry army and countless other infantry in a last ditch attempt to take Marathon. Those mech infs are terrible. Have to keep sci at 100% for MassProd in 1.

IT: lose a bunch of inf again. There is little to do about it, infantry just doesn't survive vs tanks and mech infs. Our barricades are being torn down. For some reason I don't get MassProd, must have lost some income over the IT. China has MassProd now, so goodbye trade opportunities. Greeks have 5 SS parts.

Turn 3, 1550AD: sci can go to 0%, all scientists turned to taxman except one. Sink a Greek sub, it had a nuke on board :eek:. Also manage to kill some redlined tanks and mechs, but at high cost. Kill ratio is 1:1 at best.

IT: Japan and Greece ally against us, and we lose our Oil supply :sigh:. We are unlucky and lose several red-on-red battles. Nuremberg falls, Dover nearly falls. Lots of pillaging and Greek Mech infs break into the west. I just don't know how to stop these guys... MassProd comes in, set research to Mot. London riots for some reason - of course, I moved the MP out. Greeks have 6 SS parts now.

Turn 4, 1555AD: researching MotT seems more expensive than stealing, so sci 100% and we start saving. Spend 140 gold to plant a spy in Japan. I land in France, but there is also a huge Greek force and we'll just have to hope that they ignore us for a while.

IT: England and Greece embargo us. The French Pikes of Lyons manage to kill two Greek Mechs. What's even more surprising, the Greeks manage not to take Lyons. They do offload another 8 units though, with yet another supply on the horizon... Fortunately Greec and France both ignore our landing party.
Dover is severely beaten once again. Greece is shifting its attention west, where wehave undefended cities.

Turn 5, 1560AD: Oil Supply founded. Get a GL, forms an infantry army. Army goes into Greece to try and pillage rubber. Apparently we cannot build cavs anymore. Ah, Greeks have pillaged one of our horses, and the other one goes to Babylon.

Frontline:

France:

I could make peace with France btw. Just need 4 troops to prevent flips in Oil Supply.
I'll continue later today, or else on Tuesday. Should we steal at safe or cheap?

zyxy said:
Reading is building regular destroyers. Why all the transports?

I got oil for 1 gold from japan. I just couldn't believe such luck and decided to build everything that needs oil while we still can. I was sure oil is cheap because japan is going to declare on us next turn. And we were not at war with Greece then, remember? :)

EDIT: BTW, if we don't sign peace with Greece soon - we are toast :D:

Leha said:
I got oil for 1 gold from japan. I just couldn't believe such luck and decided to build everything that needs oil while we still can. I was sure oil is cheap because japan is going to declare on us next turn. And we were not at war with Greece then, remember? :)

Ok, now it makes more sense.

If we do sign peace with Greece they will simply launch and win. I think our only chance is to hurt them enough that they have to drop out of Democracy, get panzers and hit them hard.

Leha said:

lurker's comment: You got oil for one gold because you didn't have combustion yet; hence you had absolutely nothing you could use oil for yet. You really timed it perfectly given that you didn't know what you were doing. :) Good luck all.

Renata said:
lurker's comment: You got oil for one gold because you didn't have combustion yet; hence you had absolutely nothing you could use oil for yet. You really timed it perfectly given that you didn't know what you were doing. :) Good luck all.

You are absolutely right :goodjob: My conspiracy theory is stupid :lol:

We do have to stay at war with Greece. As long as we're at war with them, go for immediate steals against Greece as soon as we can. They work pretty damn well for the money it costs. Looking at our gpt, if we're lucky we could have "4-turn research" :lol:

But yes, our only real chance lies in being able to get panzers and beat back the Greek horde slowly. I know the pain of attacking mechs with strength 6 units. It's not good at all. Just concentrate for now on building enough infantry to hold the line and also pumping out more arty. Lets just try to hold their forces at bay by damaging them into retreating.

As for Oil Supply...I think it may get overrun by the Greek force already there, but hopefully not. We'll have to wait and see. If it does fall, we may need to squeeze a city in on the front to steal the oil there, which would be a disaster to try and defend.

LURKERS COMMENT
Looks like this could be the mother of all Phoenix comebacks if you can pull it off.
I've been lurking for the last month or so and this is about the first thread I look for now!
Much prefer epic struggles like this, even prefer losing epic struggles to more straightforward games of Civ.
Looking forward to the next instalment in this epic. :)

6 SS :( . Militaristicism + 3 movement blitz means leaders every turn. If we can delay their SS until panzers, we can make a comeback. A shame there's no mass upgrade possible to panzers.

2 imediate steals IIRC has a better chance than 1 safe steal with a better price, and there's no war risk, so I say lets take any imediate steal chance we can get.

game over...

Turn 5, 1560AD continued: decide peace with France is a bad idea, we may need to settle there again. I do something I should have done much sooner: mobilize.

IT: Babylon pulls Japan in their war against China. France doesn't have its priorities straight and marches a load of pikes to Oil Supply. Our army is bombed and cruise missiled but survives. Greece captures Lyons and kills part of the French pikes. We lose Coventry. and after that also Am Grenze. We just don't have enough infanty to hold the lines anymore, and they die like flies against the Greek tanks. The problem is that this lengthens our border even more...

Greeks break into our totally undefended southwest, fortunately they cannot reach any towns this turn.

Turn 6, 1565AD: Army pillages Greek rubber. Oil Supply could fall, but we cannot help it. French will possibly pillage Oil (should have settled on top of it :( ). Rush a harbor.

IT: French indeed attack Oil Supply and pillage Oil. Should have made peace w France perhaps. Sorry, I think I botched this one. Greeks burn New Hamburg, and send more tanks against our undefended west.

Turn 7, 1570AD: Do an immediate steal attempt in Greece and lose the spy...
Load some workers and infantry on 2 transports and send them to France. We need the Oil. Our army continues its pillaging mission. We try to bomb down the Greek stacks but there are way too many. I decide we need a shorter frontline and I give up London and Nottingham.... to England. That turns out to be yet another stupid move, as I cannot trade with England (they have embargo-ed us). Anyway, I sign embargo vs Greeks and French with England. lux tax 10%. Sink a Greek sub, forgot to check for nukes.

IT: Greeks bombard Oil Supply and take out the harbor. Reading falls. My "gift to England" move becomes more and more stupid apparently Greeks and English have RoP. Not that it really matters. New Nuremberg falls. Infantry just loses against tanks most of the time. Leeds was undefended and burns, it will be falling dominoes from here as our interior is completely undefended. Indeed: Konigsberg captured, New Leipzig captured, then neue Berlin, Cologne, Minas, Berlin, Konigsberg. We apparently have no more rubber and we build infantry. Dortmund riots. Someone uses propaganda on Leipzig.

Turn 8, 1575AD: Well, I guess I could have made better decisions here and there and delayed the end a bit, but I think this was hopeless for a long time. Anyway, it's really lost now. If anyone wants to continue, be my guest :).

Never seen this btw:

The save.

It's a pity we didn't pull it till panzers and GA a tiny bit. Anyway, it was fun.
Thanks everybody.
I have an idea in mind for SG for all those fond of CivIII Conquests. ;)
Coming soon...

I think this is a pretty tough variant. You have angered civs with the early wars and are usually behind in tech.

I agree, though our start was better, we didn't go for quick conquest prior to 10 AD like you did, making a difference there. We did have the misfortune of being next to Greece, and we could have well destroyed them early with sword armies and swords had they not had the infamous hoplite.

Top Bottom